Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 sigungq
Msg: 126
view profile
History
How should Xmas and New Year be spent in your eyes?Page 4 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
I don't do Christmas trees. What's the point? ^^ Like he said^^ I'm the only one who will ever see it. Christmas is just a day off from work for me. Since the last of my relatives have passed on (about 6 years ago), I don't have anyone to share the holidays with. So usually I just add a few days off, and go somewhere interesting. Last year it was Chamonix. This year will be Machu Pichu. It's just a travel and adventure time for me. Thanksgiving is just sitting around and watching movies and having Chinese or Thai take out.
 Ainen
Msg: 127
How should Xmas and New Year be spent in your eyes?
Posted: 12/5/2014 2:42:09 PM
I cut my Xmas tree this week. As usual, a small red cedar from my backyard. My backyard has the nice "problem" of too many trees, so harvesting the Xmas tree helps the remaining ones, lessening stunting. The tree is an excellent natural air freshener. On the 12th day of Xmas I put the tree outside on a brushpile; by then the live cedars have turned a rusty color while my Xmas tree is still a lush green from being in the relatively warm house with the trunk in water.
 gtomustang
Msg: 128
Posted: 12/5/2014 7:38:06 PM
we used to do the live tree (with root ball), but on the second story of the house, so we'd wrap it with a bedsheet and clothespins, drag it up, and still leave needles on the floor to find with our bare feet thru out January. On the good side, the front yard has three story pine trees walling me off from the street--yep, dug the hole before the ground froze, kept the dirt in the garage, put the tree in there after NYE to let it adjust to the cold, then go put it out in the hole in the ground. now the trees are tall enough the first 4 feet of branches no longer have needles. IF you feel like doing all this work...its got a sort of reward. but if you decide to put outdoor lights into your outdoor pine, start now, and as it grows up and away from you, plug in the next strand, and so on.

May not put a tree up this year, I'm starting to go thru stuff my parents left behind and loosing floor space in the process. But I still have time to change my mind--like the others, only I will see it. Only decoration was wrapping the stairwell railing with plastic holly. It drops parts of it just like real plants do, how awesome.
 greatblah
Msg: 129
view profile
History
Posted: 12/6/2014 10:11:20 AM
Is the correct answer buying lots of shit?
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 130
Posted: 12/6/2014 9:47:36 PM
I love having a tree because the holiday gives me joy.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 131
Posted: 12/6/2014 9:55:35 PM
Well....LOL

Given that I don't care about Christmas and I am single...
In my eyes, I like to spend Xmas and the New Years in the tropics.
Somewhere that doesn't play Xmas music.

So when people ask me how my Xmas was,
I can truly say AWESOME because I got to miss the whole thing in a better place!

Thinking the Cook Islands this year.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 132
Posted: 12/7/2014 1:10:55 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many people are putting up a Christmas tree?

Put my artificial tree up early (after Halloween) every year, so I can get all the decorating out of the way & relax & enjoy the Holidays.

This weekend, my cats knocked the tree over for THE LAST TIME! LOL

I gave my tree & some of the ornaments to my BF & went on Ebay & ordered a 2 ft quilted wall hanging shaped like a Xmas tree in Xmas colors-it's going to get some fabric garland & flat ornaments pinned to it & hung where the tree was (in front of the fireplace)

No more tree crashing, or cat chewing on a branch & puking.

When the Season is over, I can take it down & roll it up & throw in a smaller box than the tree went in to!
 CharminC
Msg: 133
Posted: 12/7/2014 4:54:46 PM
My kids are in their teen and pre-teen. The tree, by tradition, was up on the 1st along with all the decorations and will down on boxing day.
I believe that when they are out on to their own, I will most likely settle for just a wee table tree to decorate with a few tasteful and classy bits around the home since I do love home decor. It's one of my hobbies. Such fun.
Xmas and Halloween, I always go all out to delight the kids and myself.
That's how xmas is in my eyes. Festive!

New years... that's a different story.
It's never worked out.
Gave up on it eons ago.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 134
Posted: 12/7/2014 5:16:42 PM
^^^ so it is still 1999?
I like the holidays.. it should be spent
being happy we are above ground
to enjoy the holidays
Oh, and you can send me pressies :) It is a day, a special day but just a day - don't stress yourself out about it ( I can msg you my Wish list)
 TedJMill
Msg: 135
view profile
History
Posted: 12/9/2014 1:11:59 PM
In my my case, since I'm Jewish and a party vegetable, both are basically stay home and watch television.
 Eternityboresme
Msg: 136
Posted: 12/9/2014 1:17:29 PM
^^I'm agnostic, and I'm using the holiday as an excuse to cook lavish dishes for my small family.

I'm happy for my good life.
 _babblefish
Msg: 137
Posted: 12/9/2014 2:22:53 PM

eating, drinking, sleeping, . . and opening all my prezzies
 middle14
Msg: 138
Posted: 12/9/2014 8:52:29 PM
I don't think a couple needs to be spend all of the holidays. Sometimes I have hung out with my family and/or friends. While he hung out with his. However if I was invited to an event and he didn't have any other plans, then I would ask him to go with me.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 139
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2014 3:34:35 AM

What does it mean if you would rather go out and get drunk with your friends?

Someone is bored with someone and wants to do things the other shouldn't see?
Depends on how far the relationship has progressed.

No one answer to that ,but my guess is as good as any.

Next

A guy or gals day/night out is harmless and usual, but the way you ask it, it sounds doomed to me.Getting sh1t faced with the mates..lol
Why not get sh1t faced together and have drunken beast sex afterward?

Wheres the rum and where on earth is w*lts? Did I miss him in my haste to get off here and get more tea?
 south_city
Msg: 140
Posted: 12/10/2014 7:35:47 AM

Just out of curiosity, how many people are putting up a Christmas tree?

I don't have a Christmas tree. I probably would if I had children.
 activemelaney
Msg: 141
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2014 10:06:33 AM
I have my tree up and it smells wonderful. Lights all around the inside windows. Christmas music on while we decorate it. Carols music on even though we don't believe in any of the Jesus silliness.

Fortunately the weather cooled so we can put on a fire at night.

Then a mug of mulled wine, shortbread cookies every evening just like in my grandparents home when we were children. The difference is now in the evening I'm usually reading a story from a the Kindle instead of a book.

I have friends over this Saturday and it's fun to socialize with the house decorated. Perks up the mood and all the funny stories of childhood start to flow.
 alanj805
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2014 10:21:35 AM
As Petunias sez:

drunken beast sex
 CoolBreezez
Msg: 143
view profile
History
Posted: 12/10/2014 4:21:47 PM
Christmas is great for getting together with family, friends, food and good times.....

Why not get sh1t faced together and have drunken beast sex afterward?

....Mixed in with TripleX mas and capped of with some New Years Nookie
Ah the (slightly foggy) memories - its like a Roman holiday with snow.

I miss those days - and nights....
 gtomustang
Msg: 144
can't get the tree up, but sure am pitching some wood
Posted: 12/10/2014 5:07:47 PM
"I don't have a Christmas tree. I probably would if I had children. "

>>>why, does the stork bring Christmas trees, too?

Back at my old job, a coworker were telling this pretty young girl that Cabbage Patch Kids got their name from the fact the stork left babies under cabbage leaves. Since we had another coworker who bathed annually, I of course had to ask, "where did his parents find him, under the skunk cabbage?" Our odorous coworker was a nice guy, but he contributed enough to the work atmosphere I could tell people, "when his mom comes in, don't mess with her. She actually knows how to raise a stink."

Being a tiny family, friends of my parents would bring us in for the holidays, and I remember the young couples showing up an hour late, b/c for Thanksgiving they were going to his parents' house, then her parents' house, and then finally going out with friends. I'm not sure if the eventual creation of 4AM Black Friday, or just getting older, killed that travel tradition off.

Still, there are some things that, when young and energetic, you might as well try to get out of your system. that way, when your children discover it, think its something never tried before, create a new name for it, you can pull out the black and white photos of you doing it.

one of the few benefits of being old, is buzz-killing the youth.
 _shakti_
Msg: 145
Posted: 12/10/2014 6:39:26 PM

Is the correct answer buying lots of shit?
What else!!

My kids are all older now, so I no longer have to fake it for their sake.

Nope, no tree and no decorations and it's downright liberating :)

Next year I'm going to travel somewhere or do a silent retreat, just drop out of the senselessness altogether.

New Years has always been my fav holiday though, especially back when I enjoyed going out dancing. The dressing up, the food, festivities, everyone drinking champagne and hugging, loved it. But I haven't done much in years, not since a family member died that day. It just quit making sense somehow.
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 146
Posted: 12/10/2014 6:46:08 PM
No tree, no decorations. I. Driving 12 hours to see family..grandkids, sister and Dad. I. Doing the Christmas dinner and it will be prime rib roast...no friggin turkey . Christmas is family and friends. we all went to Palm Springs two years ago for Christmas. Christmas dinner was bbq steak by the pool. Awesome.
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 147
Posted: 12/10/2014 7:53:43 PM
Same here Shatki.

No kids here this year.

Maybe I'll take a drive to Nevada...
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 148
Posted: 12/11/2014 7:12:52 AM
Last year I did nothing. I went over my sister's exchanged gifts, had a good time and was done. This year is a different story. I have a girlfriend with two kids. They live two blocks from where my sister lives. My sister's kid goes to the same grade and school than my girlfriends' kid. So they are now buddies.

So, we are putting up a Christmas tree over her place and all the decorations and stuff. Then we are planning on getting the type of gifts for the kids that they can all use or play OUTSIDE. NO games, apps, or stuff that will keep them attached to a computer.

For new years we will probably go to my sisters and celebrate.
 BelleAtlantic
Msg: 149
Posted: 12/11/2014 12:57:53 PM
You should do whatever you want to do.

I'm likely going hiking on Christmas, I haven't gone hiking since the summer, so it would be nice. When I come back from the hike, I'll go to my brother-in-law's aunt's house where they always have a feast. At least 100 people attend, so the amount of food is often way more than what can be consumed. It's too soon to plan because my friends may want me over to cook something or bring something and get together.

I do not celebrate holidays and don't believe in the whole gift exchange crap, however I donate money to christmas's lists so that all the pressure and expense does not fall upon my sister. I'm not sure why my sister raised her children to be materialistic when we were not raised like that, but to each their own, maybe there is something about this whole Santa stuff that is important to pass onto children.
 gtomustang
Msg: 150
didn't get the tree up, but will play with my (holiday) balls.
Posted: 12/11/2014 6:06:34 PM
"Is the correct answer buying lots o'stuff?"

Like Belle was saying, it depends upon the person. My father grew up poor in 1930's NYC, so as an "adult" he'd load up the tree with stuff....which is likely still up in the attic. It wasn't until I moved out a place I had rented for 14 yrs that I decided--other than holiday decorations--if it goes into the attic, you likely won't be using it again, donate it.

Still working on that, but making progress...found the Star Wars painted glasses from McDonald's.

I was lucky enough to travel as a kid, so "dropping out" for the holiday up north here just means chancing getting stuck in an airport. Were I to travel with someone, we could have fun goofing around some places, if they were the adventurous type. Actually with TSA now, you probably don't even want to leave the security area to go exploring.

I am comtemplating what my Jewish friends from NYC label the "Jewish holiday", and go eat at an Asian buffet, one of those few restaurants open Dec 25th. Dancing for NYE sounds nice, but I sure wish I could find the party in NYC I once got invited to--like in the stories, there were 400 people in the two story apartment and the real estate developer host knew about 20 of them. nothing even got broke. closest I'll get to a Great Gatsby event :)

hopefully, whatever's practical for your side of the world map, you get to try it out.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >