Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 gtomustang
Msg: 150
didn't get the tree up, but will play with my (holiday) balls.Page 8 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
"Is the correct answer buying lots o'stuff?"

Like Belle was saying, it depends upon the person. My father grew up poor in 1930's NYC, so as an "adult" he'd load up the tree with stuff....which is likely still up in the attic. It wasn't until I moved out a place I had rented for 14 yrs that I decided--other than holiday decorations--if it goes into the attic, you likely won't be using it again, donate it.

Still working on that, but making progress...found the Star Wars painted glasses from McDonald's.

I was lucky enough to travel as a kid, so "dropping out" for the holiday up north here just means chancing getting stuck in an airport. Were I to travel with someone, we could have fun goofing around some places, if they were the adventurous type. Actually with TSA now, you probably don't even want to leave the security area to go exploring.

I am comtemplating what my Jewish friends from NYC label the "Jewish holiday", and go eat at an Asian buffet, one of those few restaurants open Dec 25th. Dancing for NYE sounds nice, but I sure wish I could find the party in NYC I once got invited to--like in the stories, there were 400 people in the two story apartment and the real estate developer host knew about 20 of them. nothing even got broke. closest I'll get to a Great Gatsby event :)

hopefully, whatever's practical for your side of the world map, you get to try it out.
 _shakti_
Msg: 151
didn't get the tree up, but will play with my (holiday) balls.
Posted: 12/11/2014 7:40:00 PM

I am comtemplating what my Jewish friends from NYC label the "Jewish holiday", and go eat at an Asian buffet, one of those few restaurants open Dec 25th.
I'd love to do that! I'm not sure if anything is open around here, will have to check into it.
 Peppermint_Petunias
Msg: 152
view profile
History
didn't get the tree up, but will play with my (holiday) balls.
Posted: 12/12/2014 3:42:53 AM
My wreath is inside so when you open the door..boom!!! The first thing you see. Very pretty and NOT red and green.
My tree is 10 inches high , the color of the wreath this year and on the stereo next to the wreath.
Festive enough for just me, low cost and easy to put away. 3 minutes?

Agree, no kids or guests with kids, it can be a bother every year.
But I do like a big lighted natural tree.Miss my old fireplace too. That was my fav thing to decorate( the mantle).
 Dee4166
Msg: 153
view profile
History
SOMEBODY has a dirty mind! LOL
Posted: 12/12/2014 4:05:29 AM
I'm really trying to plan a Christmas with ALL of the trimmings this year....and I'm also taking time off from work and plan on really ENJOYING it with my b/f...hopefully holing up somewhere drinking egg nog and having as much sex as humanly POSSIBLE!! LOL
Not having had children I normally don't bother and usually go to family's places for the actual day.
But this year I am visiting only on the week end...

When I was younger I would still decorate a tree and the house etc. but it became just one more thing to do that took up a lot of time that I didn't have.
I also considered the Chinese Christmas...but, for me anyway, Christmas is the only time of the year that I eat turkey and I LOVE Turkey!!!! I can have Chinese food any day if I want to....
Plus the smell of the tree and the lights etc. are what Christmas is all about, imo...

Well, that, and all of the Day Jesus was born, stuff, too!!! LMAO
 hotdogshop100
Msg: 154
can't get the tree up, but sure am pitching some wood
Posted: 12/13/2014 7:37:31 AM
Belle

The best winter hikes Ive done are for New Years. Some people get drunk to celebrate - I hike.
 BLoNDeANGeL845
Msg: 155
eating some glistening schweddy balls ;0P
Posted: 12/13/2014 7:43:15 AM
http://youtu.be/bPpcfH_HHH8

I think these gals have the right idea...
 ClooneysTutor
Msg: 156
eating some glistening schweddy balls ;0P
Posted: 12/13/2014 7:00:55 PM
Kissing under the mistletoe is more romantic then angels schweddy balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQZ7wmNjYhk
 gtomustang
Msg: 157
oh yeah, right, my "tree" is 10 inches, too. And decorated.
Posted: 12/13/2014 9:07:06 PM
mistletoe? isn't that what astronauts get instead of athlete's foot?

angels schweddy balls, doesn't this sound like some English treat for the holidays? Maybe has toasted coconut on it?

I'm still not sure why this site ever needed moderators. We're doing perfectly fine on our own.

I do wonder, what makes us eventually say, "Bah! Humbug!" to decorating. Is it old age or having kids but not time? I could remember seeing Martha Stewart type creations and thinking, "wow, someday when I have a house I'm going to get creative like that!" Now its under the heading, WTF. But I still ran to the mall today on the expensive side of town, to see what good decorating could look like. Even grabbed a catalog (OK, potterybarn, Renovator's Supply moved out) of antiqued decorations that look neat in a mall, but at a flea market look....like old stuff at a flea market. Maybe we should all just swap the old crap in our attics--someone else's old crap would look new to us.
 _shakti_
Msg: 158
How should Xmas and New Year be spent in your eyes?
Posted: 12/14/2014 7:44:06 AM
^^ Well for me it was always 'bah humbug', lol. I don't recall ever liking christmas, maybe as a small kid, but that's when it all had a magic to it (and let's not forget the presents, lol). A magic that I learned later was fake, and only a thin veneer over social customs that make absolutely no sense to me.

For one, I'm not religious, and even if I was Christian, I think knowing the actual origin would turn me off to certain things. I can get behind the winter solstice celebrations, but I'm no pagan either. I think it's the lack of choice in the matter that bothers me. Other than traveling to where these things have not infiltrated or dropping out of life altogether (which I'm thinking of doing next year), it's in your face for months.

I faked it for my kids for years (successfully), and I enjoyed their joy, but on a principle level, I hated it. Like, why do we teach our kids about some fake fat man in red who spends all years making presents for them? Wtf?! Then we have to tell the truth later and they are disillusioned, questioning how much they can trust us and adults in general. It's kind of messed up really. And then you do your best (which as a single mom was not easy) to get them the things that they want, but you are still sending them back to school where all the other kids are bragging about their 'i' this or expensive that and your efforts mean quite a bit less next to it. Even if you dig to the bottom of your bank account, it is never enough. For what? It's madness.

I'm sorry, but it's all just so senseless to me. But whenever I express how I feel, I'm being negative, scrooge-like, lol.. for pointing out ridiculousness? I spend time with and buy things for my family through the year, why do I need society to tell me to have dinner on a certain day, make this type of food, drink this drink, etc.. I don't. Thank goodness my family is beginning to see things how I do.
 awesomefiftyman
Msg: 160
Posted: 12/14/2014 10:41:23 AM
Christmas?
In a church dressed like the Dude from the movie The Big Lebowski. Hopefully in the tropics.
New Years?
Doesn't matter, as long as I have a white russian.... although, on the beach in Adelaide was cool.

Hopefully neither Christmas or New Years will find me on POF.... or the Internet at all.
 gtomustang
Msg: 161
How should Xmas and New Year be spent in your eyes, not on your credit card?
Posted: 12/14/2014 9:38:15 PM
I never liked the whole idea of lying to a child who is in your care about Santa or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy. I mean...do we really do that for the children, or do we do it to live thru their eyes the idea that there is magic in the world, and that gifts can come out of nowhere and not be paid for?

Like Shak said, how is it to realize you're lying to someone who's supposed to trust you? Seems like a weird form of love, but from what I know, no kid has ever spent time on a doctor's couch explaining their break from reality once they learned Santa didn't exist. but it still seems like a weird trick to pull on your young children. and the whole notion that the Romans were conducting a census in winter and thus Jesus son of Joseph was born conveniently during a pagan holiday....

the whole spending thing, yeah, that's society telling you what to do rather than thinking for yourself, and every year when I see a political/editorial cartoon about consumers spending themselves into January or stampeding over each other on Black Friday, I'm always surprised that "people still do that?" Its like we know Santa is fake, yet haven't gotten the word yet that spending all that dough is all that dumb. Kinda like people who donate food at Thanksgiving who don't realize the hungry don't disappear on the 26th.

then again, not doing what others do is one of the reasons why I'm single :) I don't mind the idea of the holiday. getting together with friends, swapping gifts after the period of harvest and before the new year brings more winter. But I feel that it should only be done to the level one can afford. It should be festive, not a PITA.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 162
How should Xmas and New Year be spent in your eyes, not on your credit card?
Posted: 12/14/2014 10:41:10 PM
My parents always told me that Santa was the *spirit* of Christmas. So the question of whether he was a real man never came up. Worked so well for them, I passed it along to my kids, and that worked well for me, as well. When the question came it was: is Santa a real person, or is he you? Whadaya think? You? You betcha. No one felt, or was, lied to.

The Easter Bunny stood for fertility/life. And since we dyed the eggs, we were spared any worrying about how a bunny could lay eggs. Daddy was the Tooth Fairy, period.

After I figured out at about 12 that the great joy of Christmas really *was* giving presents, I stopped being disappointed every year, and have loved the season in all its silliness ever since. What's not to love about singing and stars and kings traveling from far away, and sheep and lambs and sheepherders? (Not to mention Christmas lobsters, and whales.)
 DragonBits
Msg: 163
Posted: 12/15/2014 9:40:33 AM
It seems people living in the UK go out and get drunk more often than those in the USA. Enough so it makes spotting their posts easier.

I like to spend Xmas with friends and family. If I were by myself, doing nothing special would be OK.

One year, I have spent Xmas at a castle in Salzburg Austria to have a formal dinner, tux and all and then go to midnight mass at the church Mozart first conducted in. That was pretty cool.

One year, I spent Christmas in Bangkok with a group of Buddhist natives who had a party with mountains of shrimp and we played pool. Totally non Christians, but they like any excuse for a party. Also cool.

This year we will go to a friends house on the 20th. He has a tree lighting ceremony, has thousands of lights on the tree, he has to wire the branches together because they get so heavy. He has installed a high amperage electrical fuse panel, and has ornaments from many different ages. He plays a tribute to his father which he recorded on a tape, and while it plays he lights up various strings of lights. Like leave it to beaver on steroids.

On Christmas we will go over to my brothers house where they will make dinner, we open presents and play cards.

This is how I have spent Xmas in the past.
 CharminC
Msg: 164
Posted: 12/15/2014 9:45:12 AM
I never liked the whole idea of lying to a child who is in your care about Santa or the Easter Bunny or the Tooth Fairy.

^^^
It's not lying
There really is a Santa
I am one
So were your parents and everyone else who ever brought a child a gift
Like the poster above me says... it's the spirit of Santa that lives and makes him real.
My kids get this and know I am not a liar.
Of course their Xmas list to me is so much bigger now that they know I am .........Santa . *grumbles
 mike11091
Msg: 165
Posted: 12/15/2014 11:16:07 PM

I'm sorry, but it's all just so senseless to me. But whenever I express how I feel, I'm being negative, scrooge-like, lol.. for pointing out ridiculousness? I spend time with and buy things for my family through the year, why do I need society to tell me to have dinner on a certain day, make this type of food, drink this drink, etc.. I don't. Thank goodness my family is beginning to see things how I do.

My family only celebrated Christmas a few years. My parents came to realize how commercially driven it is and stopped giving gifts altogether. Now it's like a second Thanksgiving. Looking back, I always resented it as a kid, but I appreciate it now.

There shouldn't be one specific season out of the year that everyone is generous. One day, I hope to teach my own kids that buying gifts for someone is not necessary to show one's appreciation.
 greatblah
Msg: 166
view profile
History
Posted: 12/16/2014 6:13:41 AM
Don't you know that buying lots of shit is a sign of progress and success? The more shit you buy, the better. It's good for the economy!
 _shakti_
Msg: 167
Posted: 12/16/2014 6:56:38 AM

My family only celebrated Christmas a few years. My parents came to realize how commercially driven it is and stopped giving gifts altogether. Now it's like a second Thanksgiving. Looking back, I always resented it as a kid, but I appreciate it now.

There shouldn't be one specific season out of the year that everyone is generous. One day, I hope to teach my own kids that buying gifts for someone is not necessary to show one's appreciation.
I love that, and thank you for sharing :)

I wish I had had the 'balls' back then to do likewise. It's a great time of year to pretend to be a JW, lol.
 InnerGorilla
Msg: 168
Posted: 12/16/2014 8:13:25 AM
I grew up in South America. Christmas there is a mix of commercial ideas, cultural ideas and traditions, and religious traditions. To me the whole idea of Santa was no different of the idea of the baby Jesus. Was the baby Jesus real? We knew it was a plastic baby, with real paint and a little label saying made in Taiwan. So, there was no disillusionment with Santa, because santa was the idea of kids going to bed after opening family gifts and waiting to get your gifts in the morning. The "Santa" gift were those things that you had hope all year to get and were too expensive for some family member to give them to you.

If anything, I loved the fact that the holidays did not have the over commercialization it has here in the states, and that it's all about going to a mall and buying gifts. Down there the pressure was about food. You made this special dishes that had their origin with the Carib Indians and exchanged them with other people. You also made special breed, or special dishes and exchanged it with your friends and family, neighbors or people you worked with.
 Dreamin_of_you
Msg: 169
Posted: 12/16/2014 8:54:22 AM
Simply. Forget the gift giving. Spend time with family and friends - enjoying good company, good food and having a good time!
 JoeBnD
Msg: 170
Posted: 12/16/2014 12:01:33 PM
Going to my buddy's (and fiance) home for an Italian Christmas Eve dinner with my extended (no relation) family. I will be taking my homemade Manicotti as requested.

Christmas dinner will be spent at his brother's home eating prime rib with the same extended family.

No plans for New Year's. Probably install the SSD I bought my buddy and his dad for their computer and reinstalling all of their software (they were badly infected over a year ago). Maybe get in some skiing; hopefully the ski resort will have something other than man made snow to ski on by then.

(Notice no mention of real family)
 VolkanoKing
Msg: 171
Posted: 12/16/2014 12:05:49 PM
I'll be out with my group hiking..the "Christmas Orphans"..and having a picnic dinner on top of Mount Hollywood.

I did the family thing for years when I was married, driving between two sets of families, kids running around, chaos etc etc...now that I'm divorced, and many of my own relatives have passed away (we're Jews anyway), I'm alone on XMas.

You make of it what you will! It will be non traditional, but I wont be alone, and will share the day with fellow outcasts. :D
 gtomustang
Msg: 172
Posted: 12/16/2014 2:30:33 PM
"Spend time with family and friends - enjoying good company, good food and having a good time"

>>>driving home today, I was wondering if maybe that explains some of the regular posters having a burr under their saddle this month...the idea in their head of a perfect holiday involves being a husband or a wife or a partner. But, the other half cheated or divorced or just plain left, so that perfect picture isn't going to be happening any time soon, and neither will their label of success.

Maybe the secret to those familiar posters being able to enjoy December is to learn to not have a need to be a husband or a wife or a partner in order to be a success, but just be a success all by themself. It might help release the bitterness.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 173
Posted: 12/16/2014 2:36:41 PM
^^^ buying me presents might help as well. I promise charming hand written thank you letters. Well except if I get a lump of coal. Then just an e-card
Fun watching the kidlets seeing Santa at the Mall - and I'm the neighborhood watch re. crooked outdoor lights.
I like the Season, people seem nicer than rest of the year.
Maybe they are scared of Santa. Or Satan. Both wear all red, both know if you've been naughty or nice
I need to go buy a self elf.. just to spook myself at night
 bluemoon24_7
Msg: 174
Posted: 12/16/2014 2:43:29 PM
I bought the Elf on the Shelf thing and had it passed around the office just for a giggle. The staff had a good time with it as each of them got to give it away.

And I have had two chats with Santa this year, I usually get a picture taken with Santa and send it to the grandkids. It's a nice time to revert back to childhood memories and be a little goofy. Why not?
 Dee4166
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 12/17/2014 8:58:14 AM
For me Christmas is about sparkling lights, shiny stuff the smell of fir and TURKEY!
Not to mention snow and Santa etc. who was actually" invented " by Coca Cola, if I remember correctly...? Well the commercial one at any rate...
Not the actual St. Nikolaus....they kind of blended the two and " commercial Santa " was born!

As far as kids being lied to etc....
Yeah, sorry, that is what cartoons and Disney movies are about too, and for me it's about preserving a SMALL measure of the Magic of childhood which seems to be more and more of a challenge in today's Information Age....

As someone else mentioned, haven't heard of anyone ending up in counselling as a result....lol

Of course, my great-nephews think that chocolate milk comes from brown cows...and by the time that they are " ready" for the truth, I think their maturity level will be such that it's won't really be "devastating" for them to discover it....

A rule of thumb in child development is that children are capable of understanding at their age level,obviously, and some creativity, imagination and magic, is only going to be a part of their lives for a short while, so why not let them have it...?
Too much info, too soon, is also NOT a good thing, as they have no schema with which to process that info yet....Same as parents who believe they're doing a 'good thing' talking to their children about sex, in adult and technical terms, when they are too young...
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >