Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 296
Why do men find it hard to be friends?Page 9 of 44    (4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44)

And I was propagating the notion that yes, if a guy sits back and waits for girls to come to him, he'll pretty much run dry and that won't solve anything.

It solves the upper hand situation, which was the problem. It's a choice. Lower hand or no dates? You can't have that both ways.

I agree.... but not necessarily to never have the "lower hand". Again, the lower hand is being the approacher. He can't walk away from that, because in the end, very little if anything will be gained. He should change things to maximize his results when approaching (his choices, himself, his game, etc). I agree he shouldn't be complaining about it. But pointing out that yes, women do have the upper hand being the accepters/deniers in the culture of engagement, isn't b!tching about it -- just pointing it out. :)

What's the purpose of pointing it out? To other men for commiseration, or to women for...I have no idea what. Attention?

I think most people who truly complain don't pursue. Of course, for Forums, I think it is the place to complain or at least point out things that one can roll their eyes about and complain, whether they express that when out "in the field" or not.

It's pointless to complain if they don't plan on doing anything about it. Especially when they create the reality they're complaining about.

More guys do than you think, if the gal's convincing and he really likes her. Not a good move on his part, but too many guys out there "hang around" with hopes that she'll like him some day... or just like being in his crush's presence... or some guys will smartly do that if she has cute friends. No deceit on his part is needed to be applied when going down the route of being friends with her.

None is needed, obviously - however as a default it usually is. Most won't stick around if they know that it'll NEVER go anywhere - a lot of guys think things will change.

So in a nutshell, unless you have been friends beforehand or otherwise really do desire to be friends, keep in touch, occasionally hang out, etc. -- don't use the "let's just be friends" -- unless the situation & context -clearly- means "let's go our separate ways".

Again, back atcha. Don't agree to be friends unless you only want friends and don't hope for more - and if you do, announce it honestly. If you don't - say you don't and walk away.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 302
Why do men find it hard to be friends?
Posted: 8/13/2010 8:32:32 AM

^Why wouldn't a man be friends with a woman he finds sexually attractive?

Is it so unendurably hard to be around a woman that you find attractive but can't have sex with?

What about in a working situation?

First, the issue revolves around women who are available-For most men, this excludes colleagues, relatives and those already mated.

The WHY of it may be rooted in biology or culture. But let me give you an analogy that perhaps makes it more understandable.

A guy plays a sport. Baseball, hockey, football, whatever. He finds a team that plays a style he really likes and applies for membership. They tell him "Sure. But you're never going to play. Not even in the last minute of blowouts. You can practice with us, hang out after games, wear the jersey and sit on the bench. But you'll never get in a game. You're just not good enough."

YES, it could be "unendurably hard" LITERALLY.

Some men do get "hard" around women they find very attractive.

It can be embarrassing, and even painful!!..to have a raging hard-on with no prospect of 'release'.

what would the protocol be? Excuse yourself, retire to an available washroom & beat it for release?

"Blue Balls" is not just an expression -it's a real phenomenon! ( & IT HURTS!!)

women may not fully understand this ?
 SpecificTruths
Msg: 303
Posted: 8/13/2010 9:02:11 AM

"Blue Balls" is not just an expression -it's a real phenomenon! ( & IT HURTS!!)

women may not fully understand this ?
Some do, and I think they like it. "You'll never get this, you'll never get this... Neaner neaner neaner"
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 305
Posted: 8/13/2010 3:57:16 PM

what would the protocol be? Excuse yourself, retire to an available washroom & beat it for release?

So you're saying guys don't do this? LOL right. Yes, that's the protocol, so long as you're not filming it, who cares?
 mrnova66
Msg: 307
Posted: 8/13/2010 4:25:04 PM
Broncsbuff some it up good.I agree 100%.I got better things to do than waste my time playing THE FRIEND GAME that women play.Well this is one DUDE that do not play the FRIEND GAME.You can shove it.And keep on playing that on the next sucker that wants to play THE FRIEND GAME.Then these space cadet women wonder why civil men run from such rubbish.Who in the hell they think they are.It is all about them and whatever they can get their selfish hands on.Then on to the next victim.Just not this man.I see these POS a mile away.I got my racing sneakers on.I learned many moon lights ago how low some people can be.It is all a game to them.Until they meet the wrong one.YOU REEP WHAT YOU SOW!!!And they get theirs when they hook up with MR.Abuser.And they deserve every bit of what he has to offer to them and then some.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 311
Posted: 8/14/2010 8:52:39 AM
Why wouldn't a man be friends with a woman he finds sexually attractive? Is it so unendurably hard to be around a woman that you find attractive but can't have sex with?

Actually it's not about not having sex with, it's that you've been -rejected- and you knowingly can't have them in any real way. I don't think it's hard if you remain "friends", using the term loosely, like acquaintances, sure. But what's the point of developing a one-on-one friendship with a gal who's rejected you? The ONLY reason for that, rare circumstances aside, is that the still-interested guy would be "waiting" for any possibilities (yeah, good luck on that).

What about in a working situation?

That is fine. You don't have to hang out with people at work... again, you can be an acquaintance, exchange his, and all that. I don't think people are talking about HIDING from someone -- just not developing a true friendship -- that's silly in most cases.

You guys wonder why you find it hard to meet women

Actually not all the guys find it hard to meet women. :) Secondly, declining a one-on-one friendship with a lady who's rejected you is a good thing, and those are the ladies you already have met, but shouldn't -continue- to meet if there's nothing going on and he still digs her. No means no, right? Guys shouldn't be looking to JUST "meet" women (any women, any circumstances for the sake of meeting; otherwise bingo night at the nursery would be a good idea lol).

A guy should put into consideration to keep maybe a little closer than acquaintances if she's not the type of gal who has a lot of "guy friends", but has a decent amount of single female friends. However, he probably shouldn't do that if he has a crush on the gal in question, and isn't emotionally experienced on handling that situation.

you don't see them as people,that's the problem. You just see them as life support systems for their vaginas.

So a lady would only see guys as life support systems for their c0cks if they chose not to develop one-on-one friendships with guys they liked but were rejected by? LOL

You're too far out there, come back down to earth. You're railing guys for the SOLE purpose of declining to be one-on-one friends with women who reject them? Plus, much of the time, said women mean that just as an expression, and don't REALLY want to be one-on-one friends or anything -- just non-enemies. And usually when it's not that, it's to be a male gal-pal or for attention, if they didn't know them before.

Many guys AND girls out there don't feel comfortable trying to develop a real friendship with someone they aren't attracted to but know that person really digs them after being rejected. It gets weird.
 sarniafairyboy
Msg: 312
Posted: 8/14/2010 9:09:11 AM

Wow, you guys are pathetic..

Why is a guy pathetic to choose to NOT be friends with a women he wants to have sex with?

why would a guy WANT to be friends with a woman he wants to have sex with?

Iamsogood....

you seem to be stuck on the fact that all guys want to bone every chick they meet. That even isnt the issue...

the issue is that if a female that I WANT to have sex with says to me "hey..lets just be friends"...guess what?....

I have lost...game over...It really doesnt matter if I am her friend or not...I have lost...I want to be with her and she doesnt...GAME OVER....

COME ON..this issue does not JUST arise with women saying "LJBF" to men

maybe that's the more frequent way it happens..

but SERIOUSLY, how many women that are 'crazy' about a guy, forsesee an LTR, hot sex, etc.

really woufd "like it" or "Accept" it if he says to HER:

"hey, let's just be friends!"

VERY FEW.. virtually zero, IME..
 forums1
Msg: 313
Posted: 8/14/2010 9:27:56 AM
COME ON..this issue does not JUST arise with women saying "LJBF" to men

maybe that's the more frequent way it happens..

but SERIOUSLY, how many women that are 'crazy' about a guy, forsesee an LTR, hot sex, etc.

The last one I was in that situation with had ovarian cancer and was going through radiation for it... she was a good person, and I had zero interest sexually/romantically, but she lived alone, was fairly new to the area, and (I thought) needed someone to talk to and be supportive. You might think, over a year of me never so much as kissing her or making any kind of a move (and her never giving any signs of wanting that - just asking how she was doing and talking - of course us men can be blind to women's 'signals' sometimes), it would have been obvious there was nothing going to happen... Until she started getting the idea of "us" and I said no, not interested in that, "just friends" - whoa boy, fireworks, lightning, seas parting, end-of-all-life asteroid hurled at me...
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 314
Posted: 8/14/2010 9:36:31 AM

I'm one that accepts it - I know what it's like to just not be into someone, so I totally get it when it's in reverse. If it's not mutual, then it's not mutual - there's no reason to take that personally, as it's not done on purpose. Not only can I maintain a friendship, but I can switch gears, focus elsewhere for sexual/romantic interest, and even at times talk to them about who we're dating. I just don't think the world revolves around me to the point where I can't deal with reality, I guess.

I'm cool with a guy not liking me back - at least I know where I stand, which makes it easier to move on from. What I'm less cool with is not knowing either way because I didn't say anything.

I'm not human though - so I hear - I assume that must be why I can do this.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 319
Posted: 8/15/2010 11:04:14 AM
"Actually it's not about not having sex with, it's that you've been -rejected- and you knowingly can't have them in any real way."
I don't get it. What is the 'real way' including on top of friendship if not sex? You can do just about anything else as friends. I agree that it's not ONLY about sex if that's what you mean...

Your last sentence. Yes, that's what I meant. :) The expression to 'have' a girl or to 'have' a guy means you've captured their genuine (romantic/sexual) interest. You don't say "I've got her!" about a gal you like when you just develop some rapport and are friends, is my point. So it's not about having sex (ie the focal point), it's just 'getting the girl' as a whole.

Some men can't seem to understand a friendship between a man and a woman. Only because, in my opinion, they are impervious to any kind of true, honest feelings.

I think there's either a misunderstanding/miscommunication or you've had some issues with guys who haven't wanted to develop any emotional bonds with you. With that said, the (obvious) point that's being made is that Lets Just Be Friends --> NOT a friendship developing while in the dating routine. We're talking about a romantic REJECTION. Where the woman rejects the guy, but is (allegedly) open to be friends to him. The point is that 90%+ of the time, that's silly to do. Why? Because the guy's intentions are to have something more than just a friendship and she's rejected that notion. Many women don't actually want to start developing a one-on-one friendship with a guy who they know adores them, and who they just rejected -- that can get awkward. Many times if they think he's a nice guy, they may try to set him up... or once in a while, if she's an attention-lover she'll utilize his company for validation/attention/shoulder.

I fail to see anything "against" ANY gender when one says that someone should not go down the path to try and develop a one-on-one friendship with the opposite sex when they've rejected you.

You're almost implying that one should "stick around" and develop a friendship in hopes of changing their mind? No. Bad idea.

You must be familiar with 'The Ladder Theory' though and that IS total crap.

You can find some exceptions and maybe say it goes a little too far, etc... but total crap?

Say a guy & a girl are platonic one-on-one friends, single and hang out periodically. Say one night, they go back to his place after a night out of hanging out, and she has to go to the bathroom. She comes out, and he's naked on the couch and says "Do me!" Well, he'll get a slap in the face.

Now reverse the genders. Say they go back to her place after the night out, he goes to the bathroom, and she's laying naked on the couch when he comes out, and says "Do me!"

Does he:
a) Say "No, I'm sorry, I don't want to ruin this beautiful friendship..."
OR
b) Comply

Point is, there IS an undeniable difference between guys & girls when it comes to opposite sex friends.
 forums1
Msg: 320
Posted: 8/15/2010 11:22:12 AM
Say a guy & a girl are platonic one-on-one friends, single and hang out periodically. Say one night, they go back to his place after a night out of hanging out, and she has to go to the bathroom. She comes out, and he's naked on the couch and says "Do me!" Well, he'll get a slap in the face.

Now reverse the genders. Say they go back to her place after the night out, he goes to the bathroom, and she's laying naked on the couch when he comes out, and says "Do me!"

Does he:
a) Say "No, I'm sorry, I don't want to ruin this beautiful friendship..."
OR
b) Comply

Point is, there IS an undeniable difference between guys & girls when it comes to opposite sex friends.

Depends, if I have never had those feelings for her, no attraction sexually at all, probably not. There's a reason she's just a friend - because there is no interest in that at all (albeit, if she's naked on the couch I might guess its not quite as 'platonic' on her part as I might've thought).

On the flip side of that, it could be that over time we *have* developed those kind of feelings for each other (well, if she's naked on the couch *she* probably has ), and maybe it would happen - but honestly that would change the "friendship" to more of a FWB type thing at the least (ie, she's not really a "platonic" friend after that, is she?).

If that happens, your 'platonic friendship' wasn't quite so platonic. :-P
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 321
Posted: 8/15/2010 1:26:54 PM
It's got to do with the way us men were made by nature. Were suppose to agressively seek females all for the purpose of mating. Nature is crude that way. Where is many of the social norms we have created are irrelevant in nature. Many woman it seems think men have on/off switches. When in reality it's rather difficult for many men to accept an attractive young healthy woman as just a friend. That's keeping it short without going to deep in logic. Hope that makes some sense to some.
 marlin1999
Msg: 324
view profile
History
Posted: 8/15/2010 2:58:56 PM
Long ago, a couple of times in my life I worked with women who were attracted to me but I did not find attractive but was perfectly willing to be friends with. This evolved into a kind of obsessiveness on their part. I mean cruising by my house secretly, etc. People are driven to act on their feelings, especially if they think you are the best they have going for them. People in this situation need to be careful because it would be all too easy for someone to take advantage of the affections of someone in such a situation.

On the other hand, some people can just move on and can be friends because they feel they have other options in life. Maybe you should be hooking up your friends with your girlfriends ! :)

I know I can be friends with attractive women. Not that I'm interested. javascript:smilie('')
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 325
Posted: 8/15/2010 3:49:31 PM
Depends, if I have never had those feelings for her, no attraction sexually at all, probably not. There's a reason she's just a friend - because there is no interest in that at all

And that would demand the question -- what very unique thing is going on where you continually hang out, just one-on-one together, but have no feelings for her? If a single guy and a single girl are hanging out one-on-one consistently, spending time together, etc. -- chances are very high one person has interest in the other. Usually it's the guy liking the gal if she's attractive. There are few exceptions that some people out there think applies to all their situations.

If that happens, your 'platonic friendship' wasn't quite so platonic. :-P

Exactly. It wasn't mutually platonic on an emotional level -- which is one of the points. A vast majority of the time, if a guy is going to spend one-on-one time with a gal consistently, it's her attraction that pulls him in. Even if he's cool with hanging about and doesn't expect much from her and doesn't get weird. Throw in the LJBF card having to be thrown by gal to guy, and then that's certainly about as close to definite as one can get that he's there because he likes her. BUT, my point in that example was showing that one can't argue that it is different between guys & gals when it comes to opp-sex, one-on-one friends when single.

1. I am not gay
2. I am attracted to several of my women friends in romantic and physical ways.
3. I am not getting sex elsewhere.
4. We are friends

You actually didn't prove that thing wrong (although I will say some rare exceptions exist, but that's beside the point). The point of that thing is that you two are not emotionally platonic on a mutual level. And of course, throw in the LJBF card -- that changes things.

I think pretty much every guy knows at least a female or two in his life that he considers a friend, and he's attracted to. That's obvious. The point was, that you WOULD take them up on a romantic/sexual offer, if both single.

The Ladder theory goes against what SOME women say: "Nope, none of my guy friends like me and want me in any way!" Although some may not have a crush per se, yes, many would take the invitation to get in your pants and periodically have thoughts about that. Hence, the complication of guys emotionally truly being JUST friends.

I think the focal point on the thread here recently was the LJBF situation. That is rejection. And "Friends" is a vague term, and people use it so loosely it's ridiculous, so in the context of this I like to say not acquaintances, or an old friend... but a one-on-one friend -- one that's just not a friend within a group that you'll chit chat once in a while with when a social group goes out... but one-on-one friends.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 328
Posted: 8/15/2010 8:06:28 PM
^^^^ - you make a good point. But also, it's not about forming a relationship. It's that there's a more-than-friends emotion going on somewhere. That's all that's required, so an age or geographic difference is moot in its point.

I will say that guys can be comfortable having someone -they'd consider- a friend and -consider- attractive and within their social group, be fine by it... I think people like to twist it to that realm and say "See? There's no problem with that!" But that's not what this is referring to. It's being real one-on-one friends. Keeping them in your life moreso than an occasional hello at work or within your social group... or kept as 1 friend out of 200 on your facebook.

It's when you correspond a lot and keep in close touch, hang out together just one-on-one... when it's that, yeah, it raises questions. In the case of you finding them attractive, and you're both single and at that level -- yeah, you're just waiting for an opp. If you previously got a LJBF rejection, then he's got issues then.
 Cat*Eyes
Msg: 329
view profile
History
Posted: 8/16/2010 12:06:29 AM
I do NOT have any problems, with being friends with men. I am, only friends with men. I do not have any female friends and do not want any.
All my friends, that I chat with daily are men. Some of them have a major girlfriend, who does have a problem with me being friends with their man. All of my friendships are with men. This is just normal and natural with me to be freinds with men.
I just don't any luck with actual relationships.
 RobertKoi
Msg: 330
Posted: 8/16/2010 8:20:45 AM
^^ Maybe you're a man in disguise.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 331
Posted: 8/16/2010 5:06:25 PM

Maybe you're a man in disguise.

...I was thinking the same thing!
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 335
Posted: 8/16/2010 9:05:15 PM

If a MAN said :" I cannot be friends with men, All my friends are women. I have no male friends, and I don't want any." wouldn't you consider THAT a bit weird, odd, & strange?

GREAT point. That points out the obvious fact that men & women tend to differ when it comes to the opposite sex as just-friends.

In short a woman just wanted to be friends and eight years later met up again and had sex with that guy. Now she's interested, it seems. He should give her the friends-only line now.

Yeah, but that is kind of different. They were separate, and kept in touch... much like say, ex's do. In that sense, I give it about the same amount of chance as an ex, if for 8 years you don't see each other but once in a while text or email, etc. That's a bit different. But he did "waste his time" hanging around -- although on a very low end.

In the case of keeping in touch via email here and there? Okay... you're not utilizing much time to waste, and hopefully you don't have your hopes up.

Let's say they lived in the same area after college for those 8 years and were one-on-one friends. First, I would say MUCH less likely chance she'd be into him. There would be no "fresh face" or "fresh start". But let's say it did still! Would it be worth it? Him doing that would keep his emotion still rolling in that direction of really wanting her, thus getting in the way of his dating life & opportunities, etc... and let's say on year 8 he porked her. Chances? Slim. Worth it? Not at all.

BUT I agree, he should have just texted after that and said "LJBF" - lol.

Classic example of guy and girl being "just friends" after one of them liked the other and even just being in-touch continued.
 abelian
Msg: 336
Posted: 8/17/2010 4:45:42 AM

Readers of these forums know from other threads that women decide if they'd sleep with any of the guys they meet within minutes (if not seconds) of meeting them.

Exactly and in the length of time it takes to figure out if I'm on the short list, I haven't invested enough time to feel like I've missed out on anything by passing on an offer of friendship.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 337
Posted: 8/17/2010 5:32:10 AM

Exactly and in the length of time it takes to figure out if I'm on the short list, I haven't invested enough time to feel like I've missed out on anything by passing on an offer of friendship.

EXACTLY!! Besides, the type of woman who wants to just be friends knowing that you want more, usually just use the guy friend as a ego stroke machine! They'll tell him about all the bad boys and get them thinking they now have an opportunity...like Pavlov's dog...THE FRIEND will start complimenting her and telling her she deserves better (HIM)...

He's also the guy to not trust if you happen to be the guy who IS dating her...He's a weasel who will try to throw you under the bus to get rid of you and get closer to her.

If she says he's such a good friend and her shoulder to cry on...run! He's a weasel and she's a man collector.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 347
Posted: 8/21/2010 11:33:52 AM
Msg. 510, Amboyace - good post. Lotta truth there. I can see it being hard to stay friends with someone who you've already dated or slept with, or even originally hoped to date. Beyond that, it's taking things too personally. People don't want to date everyone they meet - it happens.

It's not being shot down, because it's not personal - it's simply a lack of mutual attraction. Some women see something in you that makes them want to stay friends with you. No big deal, just say you can't because you're attracted and can't switch gears - then wish them well. It doesn't make her a villain, it's not a consolation prize, outside of the way YOU interpret it. Sure, some women use the friends thing to tell you in a nice way they aren't attracted. So? Don't complain about the method of delivery, because if you did say yes to friendship it would only be in hopes of that changing anyway, so you're not any more innocent for saying yes than she is for offering. Just say no and walk away. And if she asks why (as the OP did) then just tell her...that way she gets why and everyone's happy.
 Confident-Realist
Msg: 348
Posted: 8/21/2010 12:06:01 PM
But for ME, I cannot be friends with a woman if I want ALL three...physically, emotionally AND romantically. Just ONE of them, I could probably work through...with romantically being the toughest.

That IS the toughest, yes. I think the emotionally & romantically go hand in hand, though. I think some people are taking things as Relationship-or-Bust vs Platonic-Friends... There's an obvious in-between like FWB. If you're physically attracted to the gal, but think "yeah, no way would it work out between us as bf/gf", that's much easier to deal with, most definitely.

It's not about being acquaintances or groupwise-friends, but one-on-one friends. It's rare that he'd be one-on-one friends without the occasional thought of him undressing her. Not necessarily a crush or anything, as many guys deal with it just fine because it's usually not, but it'd be naive for a standard gal with tons of guy friends say "Oh no, basically none of my guy friends think of me that way". They do. As that sited said it in a funny way -- Yes Virginia, they all want to bang you. I think the Ladder site stretches it a bit here and there, but all in all, it's pretty much true to a good extent, and it's concept is correct and verifiable, generally speaking.

When a guy has a crush, then problems arise (romantic feelings). No more poker face (no pun intended). And if a guy gets -rejected-, LJBF, unless he had little interest in her anyway, he should step away and get out. We naturally want to prove to ourselves "yes we can" and emotionally get caught up in it (dammit; I had a chance... maybe if I... maybe she will think...), until we learn our lesson thru experience.
 mrnova66
Msg: 349
Posted: 8/21/2010 12:29:09 PM
@ico415...I agree 100%.Any stable man does not play the Friend game that women play.Who in the right mind want to play "Mr.Backup Man" Screw that.What a waste of time dealing with a person that want to play games.Most stable guys in that situation will run away real fast..But these types of women will screw anybody that get in their path.They are very selfish POS.They usually end up with losers anyway(Karma)...
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >