Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Ladies. Dating hint to the wise - lose the cat      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BOIT
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Ladies. Dating hint to the wise - lose the catPage 8 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
hey pshoogboog....how many guys do you see with pictures of their fish? lol....that's funny....
 theforumfiend
Msg: 47
Ladies. Dating hint to the wise - lose the cat
Posted: 1/18/2010 11:32:10 PM
Sweetie, the marketing thing is a double edged sword - both men and women judge and size up the other hoping to find just what they are looking for.

BTW, cute cat.
 beatriceismydog
Msg: 48
Posted: 1/19/2010 4:13:25 AM
You have to be very weary of any man that doesn't like domestic animals in addition to you not wanting you not to have a cat. This will be a very controlling person that will try to run your life once in a relationship.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/23/2010 6:25:35 AM

Do you think a judge would grant visitation rights to a man who broke up with a woman, that had a cat he became particularly attached to?

This is my biggest fear - I'll get attached to someone's pet and then we'll break it off and I'll have to deal with separation anxiety. Love a guy with a dog, but what if I end up thinking the dog's more of a loss in the end? lol
 theforumfiend
Msg: 50
Posted: 7/29/2010 7:41:30 PM
I'm posting in here again to say that there are more and more men posting with their cats which I'm finding amusing.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 51
Posted: 7/29/2010 8:54:41 PM
If you don't like cats....
you can suffer the misery of the other sort below:

http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts14117820.aspx

Personally I don't have any pets.
I've had cats and dogs.
Outlived em all.
too depressing to contemplate another pet.
 BLUEMISS
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 7/29/2010 9:50:25 PM
Would it be ok to post a picture of my turtle...Uncle Bill, or my budgies...Chester and Quinny? Or the goldfish? lol. I don't have a cat or a dog anymore, but if they where in the pic and I liked it, I would post it.
Years ago I hung out with a girl that had 17 cats and 4 dogs...a bit much!She had worked at the SPCA and rescued alot of them.
 love friends
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 7/30/2010 9:53:29 AM
I had a pic of my cat in my profile and I had no problem finding a date
but I agree that having more than 2 pics of your pets is weird.

Cats are the most popular pet in the US, I love dogs too (I wish I could have a dog too) but cats are way easier to take care of, cleaner, cheaper, less destructive.

junipermoon
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 8/1/2010 5:33:26 PM
if i had a picture of my maine coon on my profile, everyone would try to steal him.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 56
Posted: 8/1/2010 6:07:39 PM
^^^Me too Juniper!
 GWSmith
Msg: 57
Posted: 8/1/2010 7:08:41 PM
OP is an idiot....

So you don't like cats big fuggin deal.
 junipermoon
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 8/7/2010 4:56:12 PM
^^^ great choice!!!
 forums1
Msg: 59
Posted: 8/7/2010 7:18:18 PM
I'm a cat person, so any woman who has a cat and/or likes cats is just fine by me.
If I see in a profile she's allergic to cats, or hates cats - its no skin off my back, doesn't matter how 'hot' she is, she's not the right person for me. I don't see how that's all that complex a concept.... but apparently to some people it is.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 60
Posted: 8/8/2010 1:24:40 AM
I just had an uncontrollable urge to change my profile photo.

Quite liberating wasn't it?

BTW - gorgeous cat!!
 forums1
Msg: 61
Posted: 8/8/2010 8:32:20 AM

I just realized that "forums 1" has a profile picture of himself, holding his cat, while he has no shirt on.

Buddy, you're KILLING me here.

Don't hear the women complaining.
Actually, that pic is ancient (I have hair in that pic ), should put up a newer one, but I'm not really looking. Btw, that cat is long since passed, but his name was "Buddy".
 Cynderella
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 8/8/2010 9:06:51 AM
I found this forum very entertainting till I read this:

I have a cat.Why should I lose her? I am not one of those nutty women,and men,who place their animals above humans and treat them as if they are their kids.My cat is not the center of my universe and it's not like I would run into a burning building for her.She is cute,cuddly and a good cat,but she is not my child.

A life no matter human or animal all are worth saving.
Being from a family of "Firefighters", these men have risked their very life's to save many an animal!!!

And again "Ray of moonlight" off topic, he is talking about posting a picture of a cat on your profile...

To which I might add after reading this whole thread...the cat people seem to hold on strong to posting with their pets.

I feel as sad as it is most are judged on one's looks instead of one's attributes.
 theforumfiend
Msg: 63
Posted: 8/8/2010 2:58:15 PM
My cat did not show up in my pictures until this thread. For some reason it brought out this rebelliousness. Time to change cat picture.
 ladyc4
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/11/2010 10:18:37 AM

I just had an uncontrollable urge to change my profile photo.
Your cat has 'terminator' eyes. A cybornetic organism; living tissue over metal endoskeleton. He can probably hurl a grown man through a brick wall.

Wow- that's an event I believe I'd stand in line to get in to see.Don't get me wrong, I love cats, I love men, and generally speaking wouldn't walk a mile down a road to see a pissant eat a bale of hay-but that sounds like a freakin' EVENT. When do the tickets go on sale?
Cindy O
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 65
Posted: 8/11/2010 11:55:15 AM
^^^Not a reptile I fan, eh? Shame.

On the contrary - for the men who have pets, post them in pics more often. It not only attracts women who like pets, but it's sometimes the thing that keeps us from clicking next. Granted we may never want to talk to you, but it's something interesting in an otherwise undesirable profile.
 superteach129
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 8/14/2010 10:37:57 PM

A couple days later, my buddy found the cat's collar... In a huge pile of dogshit in his back yard! Mixing "families" is fine, but make sure Fido won't eat Buttons first.

Oh... my... goodness. How very sad! My dog and cat have their issues, but kitty consumption is not one of them. (Cat food consumption by dog is, though.)

Man. Talk about a dealbreaker.

I have a photo of me with my dog and not my cat because my dog is far more photogenic. The cat is black and generally just looks like darkness with a couple of eyes staring out in photos. Plus he doesn't pose well. The dog is a ham and loves attention of any sort, plus she's so pretty, so she gets lots of photo ops. But the cat has been with me far longer, so he's a deeper friend. I love them both.
 JerseyGirl2008
Msg: 67
Posted: 8/15/2010 8:56:23 AM

On the contrary - for the men who have pets, post them in pics more often.

I'm going to assume that you DON'T mean the legions of men who have pictures of themselves holding up dead fish?
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 68
Posted: 8/15/2010 9:12:58 AM
^^^Since dead fish aren't pets, and there's no way they'd be mistaken for a pet - yes, you assume correct.

If a man wants to post pics of dead fish though, I'd rather he put it right out there so we can skip the profile than hide it for better prospects and then have some poor woman find out the hard way.
 forums1
Msg: 69
Posted: 8/15/2010 12:14:06 PM

I dated a cat guy, it was very weird! Then the poor dear went to cat heaven and I couldn't work up any sympathy. I'm not cold hearted, I've cried when others' cats have died. But this guy had already gone so overboard with cat love I saw it's death as a good thing.. as in maybe he would now get out more, or something. Due to my experience I have to say I completely agree with the sentiments of the OP. Especially with the (ridiculous) cat lady connotation so often associated with single women of a certain age....

Yeah, lets paint everyone in a certain way based on one guy you dated. :rollseyes:

My cat's don't run my dating life, in fact I like the fact that I can leave them with food, water, and a litter box and take off for a weekend and not have to worry about them. Now if we're talking a week or two, sure, I'd have to arrange for them to be taken care of, but that's a given for anyone with pets of any kind.

I had one cat die (years ago now)... I spent the day out in the back yard digging a hole to buy him, came in and took a shower, tossed my jeans in the wash (dirty and grungy from digging)... and the GF (at the time) wanted to go out that night, and gets all upset because, y'know, I was tired (digging and burying), sad, and just really not up for going out that night. Not the end of the world... but y'know I think its justified to not feel up to catering to your wants the day I just buried my pet of 10+years.

Of course, the OP is just an idiot:

But if you are actually hoping to find a date on this site, lose the cat pics. Immediately. Any cat pic. Little Max playing with his catnip? Lose it. Jake resting on your shoulder? Delete button. Molly on her back purrrrring away? Shredder.

Ladies with cats, you now know how to eliminate getting contacted by the losers who won't accept you as the whole 'package' (which includes the cats)... just post a picture with them. (I note all the women that have added pics of their cats after the OP started this thread, they obviously picked up on it ).
 ~*Isabel Kitty*~
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 8/18/2010 7:45:15 AM
I'm the crazy cat lady, and do not even post a picture of my cat. Or mention that I have 10. I just say in my profile "Must like or be able to accept cats or we'll never work". Lots of PoF guys did lose interest in the fact I had cats, without even knowing the number. Some wanted to date ME reguardless, but long-term wise I WILL ALWAYS HAVE CATS! My one cat Duchess is my baby. I love her more then i'll probably ever love a man. If it's between my cat or you, you're the one who'll be out the door. Sorry, just the way it is. She been there with me through EVERYTHING! And one reason a guy should stick around, is you'll out live my cat :p It just may live for 20 years, haha!
Show ALL Forums  > Dating and Love Advice  > Ladies. Dating hint to the wise - lose the cat