Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time is slowing down      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JustDukky
Msg: 11
Time is slowing downPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Time is slowing down

Not for me! At my age, the years are going by like weeks. At this rate I expect to die of old age in a few more months!
 JustDukky
Msg: 12
Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/4/2010 8:15:22 PM
@ Funcuz
Far be it from me to give advice, but if I were you, I'd light up. Might as well live a little before you croak!

In my own case, I want to die drunk. When you think about it, it's kinda win win; I won't wake up with a hangover... and it could be days before it dawns on me that I died!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/4/2010 9:39:17 PM
Where did you get the idea that light "captures" pictures?
As for the notion that the expansion of the universe is causing time to slow down (actually a meaningless statement... "time" is not an object in motion, so it is not correct to speak of it as speeding up, slowing down, or maintaining a steady pace.
As far as I understand (not very far), time has been shown to be relative to GRAVITY, not to photon distribution.
 JustDukky
Msg: 14
Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/4/2010 10:26:30 PM

Looks like I'll miss the stories behind the headlines on Friday night's news. Pity.

That's one of the pluses of being dead...We won't have to listen to the bullsh¡t anymore.
 Verzen
Msg: 15
Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/4/2010 11:41:41 PM

Where did you get the idea that light "captures" pictures?

Because that's what it... does? If you're 700 light years away from earth and you zoom in on earth with an extremely powerful telescope... we could watch the Crusades happen.. Just by being 700 light years from earth.
 JustDukky
Msg: 16
Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/6/2010 2:39:51 PM

you may have to do some extra research for better details. That's jsut what I've come across.

It's the first I've heard of it. Can you cite a source?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 17
Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/10/2010 1:38:16 PM

Actually, according to Stephen Hawking, the universe is no longer expanding. We are now in the final stage. They forgot to factor in the "echo" effect.

Actually, the universe is continuing to expand and recent observation even indicates that it is accelerating.
 JustDukky
Msg: 18
Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/12/2010 2:15:59 PM

what is it that is expanding?

Spacetime itself.

When we speak of the expansion of the universe and the red shift that indicates it, it means that on the whole, everything is moving apart. It doesn't mean that things bound together by gravity (like individual galaxies, or even galaxy clusters) are moving apart, some are moving together (the Andromeda galaxy, if I recall correctly, is actually approaching the Milky Way, not receding from it).

Maybe a good (maybe half-assed) analogy is that of a circular, fenced ranch. The farmer (big bang) expands his ranch by moving his fence (event horizon - end of visible space) farther from the centre. As he does so, the average steer (galaxy) moves farther away from the other steers (new grass for grazing? - hell, I don't know!) and the ratio of cows per acre declines. Many steers have friends & little cliques they belong to (galaxy clusters) and tend to stick together. They aren't moving any farther from each other, but most of the other steers & cliques are moving away from them. One day most of the steers will be so far from all the others that they will disappear over the horizon like a ship off to sea. At that point all the cliques & many individual steers will feel like the only ones left, because they can't see any of the others.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 19
Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/12/2010 3:21:03 PM

What you have described is a re-location of stars, planets, etc., moving further apart from each other. So the universe itself is just sort of thinning out. My next question would be, why are we assuming that the only things that are out there are those that we can detect by some method or another? AND, if there are more things than we know about, then could the things that we do know about be encroaching, on a galactic/universal level, on other stars/planets,etc???

Here's the problem. We have an observed phenomenon with no actually observed mechanism. The phenomenon is the accelerating expansion of the universe. The mechanism, however, is the question.

The fact of the matter is, stars and planets remain relatively unchanged in their orbits in their galaxies. The galaxies are "spreading" further apart in the sense that the space between them increases. And yet, the "energy budget" of the universe remains the same per unit of measured "empty" space.

there are things that "appear" to be affecting local space. Like the "great attractor" in the direction of Centaurus. So something not visible by conventional means is preferentially pulling galaxies locally toward it, even as the universe itself expands.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 20
Time is slowing down
Posted: 1/12/2010 3:34:24 PM

In my conclusion, the expanding universe is causing time to gradually slow down.

You're equating time to the particle/wave phenomenon of light. This is incorrect.

The exact "nature" of time is not known. However, attempts to find "quanta" of time have been unsuccessful.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Time is slowing down