Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Firearm registry? here's some statistics...      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 susan_cd
Msg: 8
Firearm registry? here's some statistics...Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)

Registering it is one thing being charged to register it and being told i have to register it because government did not practise due dilligence and some old hag in Toronto doesn't like people hunting is another.

And none of that will stop criminals from using firearms; it just creates hassles & expenses for law abiding gun owners. They should just go back to requiring an FAC ( firearms acquisition certificate) to buy or own firearms rather than having to register every firearm you own.

THEN enact harsh penalties for commiting crimes while having a gun in your possesion. I'm thinking 5 year minimum sentence if you commit a crime while in possesion of a firearm, whether you discharge it or not. 10 years if you discharge it. 20 years if someone is injured because you discharged it. And a life sentence ( a real life sentence, you stay in prison until your death) if you killed someone with the firearm.
 susan_cd
Msg: 9
Firearm registry? here's some statistics...
Posted: 1/1/2010 5:45:52 PM
I better post these numbers that were in today's Sun before they get "lost" by the authorities.

Winnipeg had 29 homicide victims between January (six) and December (four), tying 2008's total and tying the city's third-highest count on record. Five incidents are unsolved.

At least 13 people were stabbed and six were shot, while the rest died of physical assaults or other causes.

29 homicides. 13 stabbed, 6 shot, 10 physical assault or other causes.

I wonder why the paper didn't just say "10" insteadof "while the rest"... I'm guessing they just printed the article the way the press release was written, so the # of shooting deaths ( compared with other deaths) didn't look as small as it actually is.

Here's an easier breakdown for ya : 29 homicides. 6 were shootings- - - 23 were other causes.

More proof they're making us register the wrong thing
 TooShadows
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/2/2010 7:16:13 AM
Firearm related deaths are much more dramatic than simple physical assaults that cause deaths,so that's the way things are reported. It might sell more newspapers than saying that firearms caused the least amount of deaths in the city,although that's the headline that would make me buy the paper. It's nothing new;the media has been doing this since before registration.
 susan_cd
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/2/2010 7:59:59 AM

It might sell more newspapers than saying that firearms caused the least amount of deaths in the city,although that's the headline that would make me buy the paper. It's nothing new;the media has been doing this since before registration.

Perhaps, but it isn't the media that's the issue. It's the fact that the information on #of homicides in Canada broken down by HOW they were commited seems to be unavailable; at least on the internet. The only information that can be readily found is # of homicides per province or territory.
 susan_cd
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/2/2010 9:27:22 PM
Thanks for the link printer, it's a start. Still like to see a site where the total # of homicides is broken down by how the person was killed.

Curious that the statscan info makes a point of stating the rate of homicides commited by a firearm has increased by 24 % since 2002 but doesn't mention whether the rate of homicides commited by other methods increased, stayed the same or dropped.

Guess they just forgot to include that info.

Not sure about that 24% figure, I wanted to crunch the numbers myself but searching the Statistics Canada website I can only find totals going back to 2004. And saying firearm homicides increased by 24% is a meaningless number by itself; for instance if there were 2 firearm homicides in 2009 and 4 in 2010 they can say the firearm homicides increased by 100%.

Would also be nice to know how many of the firearm homicides were commited by properly registered firearms in the possesion of the legal owners ( ie: firearms that hadn't been stolen from the legal owner).

susan_cd
Msg: 13
Posted: 4/17/2010 9:15:33 AM
The current homicide statistics for Winnipeg in 2010 :

3 homicides, 2 deaths from being struck in the head with blunt instruments ( one was a beer bottle) & internal injuries, 1 death from injuries sustained after being assaulted.

No firearms involved...

Guess the beer bottle registry is looming on the horizon...
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2010 11:20:57 AM
Could mean that gun control works.
 TooShadows
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 4/17/2010 2:09:32 PM
The Liberals would probably point out that this is gun control working. It reminds when taking the restricted portion on the Federal Firearms course to be able to keep my handguns,of data compiled after bill C-17 came into effect. That was the one that made safe storage mandatory,among other things. There was a chart showing the suicide alone and those with firearms. Indeed in 1996 after the storage laws came into effect the suicide rate with firearms dropped,and the authors of the book crowed about that. Oddly they failed to mention,and our instructor pointed it out,that the suicide rate itself continued to rise. Obviously people just found other ways.
 susan_cd
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/17/2010 2:41:24 PM

Could mean that gun control works.

But it isn't "gun control", it's firearm registration. And the registry only records the legally owned & registered firearms, there's no registry of illegal firearms out there.

Perhaps since the Liberal Party is so supportive of the registry & how it works, only firearm deaths & crimes commited with registered firearms should be reported as such, and have all deaths/robberies involving illegal firearms reported as weapons related deaths & armed robberies, with no mention of a firearm being involved.

As to "gun control", I saw a great bumpersticker a few years back :

"Gun Control Is Being Able To Hit Your Target"
 susan_cd
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/19/2010 11:06:44 AM
Latest news, Winnipeg's 4th homicide of 2010 early this morning.

Death due to stabbing, no firearms involved.

Winnipeg 2010 tally ( so far):

Homicides: 4
Firearm homicides: 0
 susan_cd
Msg: 18
Posted: 4/20/2010 3:16:25 PM

peeping tom + guns = -1 peeping tom

Or like the signs say :

"Trespassers will be shot. Survivors will be shot again"

or

"Anyone found on this property at night will be found here in the morning"
 susan_cd
Msg: 19
Posted: 4/21/2010 6:34:50 PM

Uh, because crime is functional within society; for our economy and institutions to remain; reproduce and continue within their historical framework we need crime. You can’t just imprison everyone.

No one has said anything about imprisoning everyone; just imprisoning criminals. Sure, anyone can make a mistake. If someone breaks the law & no one wasinjured or killed, or had their life put at risk then the system perhaps should look at "mitigating circumstances" & rehabilitation... for a first offence.

If someone is killed, injured, or has their life put at risk or is a repeat offender then skip rehabilitation & move directly to punishment ( no, by punishment I don't mean flogging or torture, I mean incarceration with few amenities.. no internet, no TV, but have a library available & reading classes to teach those who can't read).

Crime is functional within society? It's only a function of those who can't or won't follow societie's rules. The protection of society as a whole should be of greater concern than the rehabilitation of habitual criminals.
 susan_cd
Msg: 20
Posted: 4/21/2010 8:22:20 PM

You forget that the police were established to protect the assets, values and lifestyles of the rich and not of your everyday average Joe.

So I guess when your home is being broken into, you won't waste your time dialing 911?

“The protection of society as a whole should be of greater concern than the rehabilitation of habitual criminals.”
Society is much a stronger system than you make it out to be.

No, it isn't a strong system, which is why we have criminals being released over & over ( young car thieves as an example) rather than being kept locked up... then when the criminal has been released for the 12 time and kills someone while driving a stolen vehicle we wring our hands & cry "what's to be done?".

the rules of the law are functional in that crime creates profit, jobs and conflict which thus allows for other institutions to prosper

Oh? Explain how crime creates profit & jobs for people OTHER THAN criminals?
 susan_cd
Msg: 21
Posted: 4/22/2010 2:06:23 PM

Are you serious? The very prisons you think criminals should be sent to bring in MASS profits. Where there are prisons there are mega bucks.

The prisons give employment to the guards etc that work at the prisons, I'd hardly call that MASS profits. Are you suggesting we shut down the prisons to stop the money-grubbers from raking in the MASS profits?

You said "crime is functional within society; for our economy and institutions to remain; reproduce and continue within their historical framework we need crime" ...

I suppose that means ( following your argument) if the prisons & justice system were dismantled, the profits & economy for crime wouldn't be there anymore so crime would cease to exist...

Yes, I ( along with a large number of other citizens) think criminals should be sent to prison . But if you think that's part of the problem I'd like to hear your solution.

How many people do you lock up before you take a gander at the socio-economic factors and the way in which society has failed he individual

^ ^ ^ ^ The bleeding heart mantra--- "society is to blame for the criminal's actions" ( in other words, everyone is a victim & personal responsibility is not politically correct).

Rehabilitation is not impossible

I agree, & I've said it should be attempted for first offences. BUT if the person re-commits a crime then placing them into the same rehabilitation program they were ALREADY in is pointless, since it's been proven that it didn't work with that individual.

Although Winnipeg has much bigger problems coming

Oh? Enlighten us.

And I guess you’ll already have your bat whirling about ready to kick some criminal ass!

Partly correct, the current plan is that with my roommate & I, whoever is closest to the bat ( or 1 of my swords) defends our home from the criminal using as much force as we can administer while the other phones 911.
 susan_cd
Msg: 22
Posted: 4/23/2010 12:44:32 PM

The new rapid transit system is a joke.

On this I agree with you; if the mayor & his cronies think it's such a good idea, then why didn't they put it on the ballot of the next city election ( make it a simple question : do you want the city to invest in & develop a RTS? Yes or No) & let citizens across the city decide if we want it.

And if the city IS going to develop it, or light rail transit, the first phase should be from downtown to the airport, not some route that caters to the spoiled entitled crowd.
 susan_cd
Msg: 23
Posted: 4/23/2010 9:23:29 PM
I go to U of W so... I can get to school on any bus. But I agree... how many buses do we need to go ot U of M.

As I recall, a couple years ago when the plan was scrapped, they

a) hadn't included the cost of the special buses for the BRT in their cost estimates, and

b) hadn't done any studies to show how much faster people would get to the U of M from downtown using the new system, tho one counsellor suggested it'd take about 15 minutes ( he was pulling the number out of his ass obviously, because they'd stated ( just before he said that ) that they hadn't done any studies to see what the time would be..

FYI some newspaper reporters did some personal testing of the current system at various times of the day, and the time from downtown to the U supposedly averaged to about 20 minutes... sometimes a cpl minutes more, sometimes a cpl minutes less).

I guess the bottom line is that spending $$ on the infrastructure, people with addictions, & the homeless isn't as glamorous as spending it on things like BRT & a new stadium..
 susan_cd
Msg: 24
Posted: 4/25/2010 4:13:45 PM
Winnipeg's 5th homicide of 2010 early this morning.

Homicides: 5
 arturo_bandini
Msg: 25
view profile
History
Posted: 4/28/2010 4:36:00 AM
As one of the few "liberals" on here, I'm going to go against character (because ALL liberals think EXACTLY the same, towing the communist party line, apparently) and opine about Winnipeg's latest murder victim. Why is it that when some gang-banger gets killed, his friends and family never say "He was gangsta for life, yo." Nope. Every single one of them was "getting out of the lifestyle", "going back to school in the fall", or in this case, "concentrating on being a good father". I suppose that really means "concentrating on making more babies" because this guy was 21 years old and already had 3 kids (all in CFS care) and 1 on the way. His common law wife said she'll adjust to life without him because he was in and out of jail all the time anyway so was used to him not being around. There are far too many lowlifes like this one who suck away the bulk of the money and resources available in social programs that were designed to help the working poor and who need a helping hand from time to time. File this murder under "Did society a favour".
 susan_cd
Msg: 26
Posted: 4/28/2010 9:25:43 AM

"concentrating on being a good father". I suppose that really means "concentrating on making more babies" because this guy was 21 years old and already had 3 kids (all in CFS care) and 1 on the way.

Well, I guess in the literal sense, he was a good father, since he'd fathered 4 offspring.

But he apparently was a lousy dad or parent.

Did society a favor? Maybe, but it would have been more of a favor to society if the killer had done it B4 the victim had fathered 4 kids.
 susan_cd
Msg: 27
Posted: 5/9/2010 2:57:45 PM
Update time:

Winnipeg's 6h homicide of 2010

Homicides: 6
 Fort Garry Dark
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Posted: 5/9/2010 4:56:57 PM
I'm in favor of all guns in Canada being registered.

Three top police groups came together Thursday to defend the long-gun registry, even as the Conservative government called on three retired officers to speak against it.

The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, the Canadian Police Association and the Canadian Association of Police Boards came out against a private-member's bill that aims to scrap the registry.

The heads of all three groups — representing police chiefs, frontline officers and the boards that employ them — said perceptions of the registry are dated and rife with misconceptions.

A little grandstanding by the Harperites with guys who retired 10 years ago doesn't sway me at all.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/its-police-vs-police-as-sides-trade-shots-in-political-battle-over-gun-registry-92993594.html
 susan_cd
Msg: 29
Posted: 5/9/2010 6:04:02 PM
You're entitled to your opinion, but having all firearms registered will only provide a record of firearms owned by law-abiding citizens; gang members & other criminals aren't going to register their weapons.

I think the police could do a lot more to protect the police & public if the $$$$ used for the registry were spent on additional police personnel.
 susan_cd
Msg: 30
Posted: 5/29/2010 3:13:11 PM
Oops, I missed another stabbing death, time for an update:

Winnipeg's 7th homicide of 2010

and

Winnipeg's 8th homicide of 2010

Death due to shot fired into chest

Total at this time:

Total homicides 8
Shooting homicides 1

No word yet on whether the firearm used was registered or not.
Show ALL Forums  > Manitoba  > Firearm registry? here's some statistics...