Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Vietnamese Pho Love and other Vietnamese food lovePage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
SS, I've never tried making Pad Kee Mao, I've only had it at Thai restaurants. One of these days I will give it a try. If you're ever make it to the DC area, there's a Thai restaurant in Chantilly called 'Thai Basil'. It was featured in 'Throwdown with Bobby Flay' on the Food Network. Interestingly, the throwdown was for Pad Thai, which I didn't try. However, the Pad Kee Mao was terrific.
 vbxtc
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Vietnamese Pho Love and other Vietnamese food love
Posted: 1/4/2010 8:17:48 PM

there's a Thai restaurant in Chantilly called 'Thai Basil'.

LOL, that place is literally right across the street from my favorite Pho place. Small world...
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 19
view profile
History
Posted: 1/5/2010 9:04:17 AM

I didn't see that episode with Bobby Flay. I often wonder about that show, he almost always loses, which I would think he would have to lose to gain friends and followers, but after so much losing, it could hurt his reputation. Very strange that this is a regular program and not just a special on occasion.

They'll rerun it before long. I think Bobby loses on purpose. Everytime he describes the voting criteria, I always think he's screwed because he changes the traditional recipe enough to where the judges can't give him points for having the traditional taste or presentation. Still, he manages to win one every so often. Gotta say, he is one talented chef.

SG, I am sure you have some recipes to share. Come on, post some, or at least one

I've posted a few in the past but I'm just a novice. I'm here to learn from you.

that place is literally right across the street from my favorite Pho place.

I've seen that place but never tried it. I'll have to stop in next time I'm in the area. I usually go Pho 75, the one in Falls Church. That place is always packed with Asians and you know what they say, if you want good Asian food, go to where the Asians eat.
 Super_Eve
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/11/2010 4:48:36 PM
I haven't tried any of these recipes, but they look absolutely delicious!
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 7/3/2012 3:34:34 PM
As soon as I find the noodles, I'm going to make a batch of this... I doubt it will be as good as the restaurants, but certainly worth a go around since I'm a seven hour drive away from the Pho restaurants I've been to...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 3:36:11 AM

I tried but you are not accepting messages from my age or gender :-(

SS
Call me quirky, but I have everyone blocked - should be fixed now for you from adding you to favourites.

As for an Asian market - we don't have one here which is one of my biggest hurdles for replicating dishes. I would love to move to Ottawa where they have all of those wonderful restaurants and markets, but my job is holding me here in Northern Ontario. When you find a job you love, working for and with people you respect that respect you in turn, you don't just walk away from it because of a little shopping inconvenience... lol

I know that cilantro and basil are big (I'm contemplating an indoor garden so that I have these on hand in the winter) for Pho.
 texasbaby
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 7/4/2012 5:39:09 AM
Pho became my all time favorite comfort food when my preemie twins were born almost 13 years ago. I spent many months in and around the hospital where they were and got so tired of hospital food and fast food. Finally I found a little noodle shop close by, what a blessing that was. I've had countless bowls of soup and iced coffee in that little place and I needed the comfort, it was a scary stressful time.
When the kids finally got to come home, I missed the soup and began trying to recreate it in my kitchen just by the flavors I remembered mostly. This was before I had a computer to do inter net searches, so it was sort of hit and miss for a while. But eventually it came close to the real deal.
When I finally had a computer and could search for recipes I was a bit surprised at how close I came. I didn't char the veggies and a few other things weren't in my pantry back then, like fish sauce,,, still..
Even tho it's summer and so hot right now, lately I've been wishing for a big bowl. So I took stock of the kitchen supplies and found I had about everything except soup bones. Now I feel inspired to pick those up and make my soup this week.
I'm also in a small town without easy access to an Asian market, but really most grocery stores sell fresh herbs and have an Asian section where you'll find the noodles and that sort of thing..

Happy 4th ya'll!
tb
 RERE1026
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 5:27:59 AM
I live in Windsor, just across the creek! There is a restaurant called Pho Saigon on Howard and Edinborough. There are other Vietnamese places here as well. Hope this helps.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 7/7/2012 11:14:28 PM
If you love Pho but don't have the time to make it from scratch, you can cheat and get something like this to make the broth: http://importfood.com/cpnr0855.html

If you live near an Asian grocery store, they will be quite a bit cheaper, maybe $2 per bottle.
Show ALL Forums  > Recipes and Cooking  >