Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Solar69
Msg: 43
Accepted her child as my own, 3yrs later it's over. How best to move on?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

"STEP DAD"
not long term live in BF...
big difference...

If there's common marriage why cant there be common parent hood as well.... but from the OP, it sounds like the Ex has issues with guys.. and the girl will be going thru "step dad after step dad" It's great that your willing to stick around, just have to figure out right now weither your in it for the long hall or not... theres no waiting 3 more years and deciding you cant do it anymore. stick with it,
 freetime2bme
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Accepted her child as my own, 3yrs later it's over. How best to move on?
Posted: 1/7/2010 4:24:45 AM
"OH MY GOD. FOR THE LAST TIME....."
How did I know You were going to lie about that lol.
"It was only because it HAS NO RELEVANCE to my comment " I showed the relevance, both historical and current. It is in the eye of the beholder.
"during all your ratings" From the queen of ratings.
The difference between most and some is clear to most people even if it is not clear to you. "That some people might automatically go there is not and never was in dispute." I never said most people in my post, you are the one that jumped there! You must have "a lot of trouble with reading comprehension ". But we do know about that stock that came in via the government program was not the best.
 ghostdog1973
Msg: 47
Posted: 1/7/2010 7:08:23 AM
""Yes it was a bit harsh, so i apologies for that. still say its disgusting that people would have paedophilia thoughts when it comes to a lovely guy still sticking by/supporting a child who is not even his. Men like him are rare and should be treated with respect instead of suspicion and doubt.""

I agree wholeheartedly with you. It is disgusting...

But unfortunately that is the world we live in today.

It has to at least be a consideration for the OP depending on his relationship with his ex, etc.

Who knows what's gonna happen when she gets involved with someone else? How is the new guy going to respond to his new gf's ex "hanging around"? What complications will arise?

What lengths will the new bf goto when he finds out her new gf's ex is in the picture?
or the ex goto in response to the new bf's response....???

I dunno- but as has been mentioned in this thread earlier- the child is a package deal with the mom. Ultimately no matter how close he got with this child, that child is not his responsibility and if the mother did not care enough about that relationship...well- maybe its for the best in the long run for him to move on...hard as it maybe...
 ghostdog1973
Msg: 49
Posted: 1/7/2010 12:05:51 PM
""That aside, if you read the title of the thread, you will see that my main concern is my ability to find the balance between staying in her life as a good friend, while not losing my ability to find love once more and "move on". For one thing, I'm not sure if it's asking too much of a new partner to accept me visiting the girl about once a week, as I do, as it implies that I have not completely moved on from the last relationship. I would understand a new partner's frustration with that.""

Yes I mentioned that in my last reply... Perhpas as has been mentioned by others on here- people often times view that as trying to keep you foot in the door so to speak with you ex.

How would you feel if you found out your new gf makes weekly visits to see her ex's child at his house?

The best judge in my opinion on how to deal with things with women (that i'm in a relationship with is) ok put the shoe on the other foot...now how does it feel?

I can almost guarantee you that hardly any women at all in this world will be ok with this...
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 52
Posted: 1/7/2010 7:28:38 PM

I can almost guarantee you that hardly any women at all in this world will be ok with this...

There are many women who will respect and appreciate the OP more because of this.....but there will be insecure women who will take issue with it.

The latter is of a similar mindset to men who don't want to have anything to do with a woman who has "some other man's child".

Insecure people usually end up trying to control/change their partner so in some ways, having a situation like this to expose people to can weed out of the people with whom you probably don't want to be with in the first place.
 Solar69
Msg: 53
Posted: 1/7/2010 7:45:21 PM
Agree with Taken there OP, Even if you do manage to move on how do you think this will affect your future relationships? It might be hard to explain the situation to other women, no one likes baby mama drama, especially if you have to explain the reasons behind your decisions bringing up past relationship history might turn off a few women....

But again, it's really all about figuring out how far your willing to go. Also what would ever happen if she meets a man and decides she wants to move to mexico (or someplace far away)....If you were never married not like you could take her to court for joint custody....could just be setting yourself, and more importantly her up for heart ache.

Cliche alert.......
Sometimes if you love something you got to set it free.

Best of luck to you thou hopefully it work's out and has a fairytale ending, everyone should have one make it count.
 OutMind
Msg: 55
Posted: 1/8/2010 2:56:56 PM

It hurts more than I can ever convey in words. All my friends and workmates were "shocked" and "surprised" when it ended, as many saw me as the idyllic family-type, who had a simple (some may say mundane, or boring) but stable life. I have never told any of them just how much it hurts, knowing that my ready-made family is no more and nothing but a void remains.

Dude, vent away. I was exactly in your boat. And this last holidays were the most difficult for me ever because I could not buy the kids any gifts. And the reality is simple, I have no rights to do anything that the mother may not desire. I pretty much lost my family as well, gone forever. As yes, you will move one. Like I have moved on. And you will need to vent, go through the anger, and all the emotions and move on.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 58
Posted: 1/8/2010 4:13:57 PM
I always wondered if Halle and India (Eric Benet's daughter) still had a relationship after she left and divorced him.

Yes, children are very adapting, but I think that just because a relationship doesn't work out with the parents, that doesn't mean contact has to be cut between children and parents. If you are close to this girl and the mother allows it, then continue to see and maybe fulfill a 'big brother' type of role in her life or a secondary father figure in her life.

Just be sure that when she grows up that this doesn't turn into a Woody-Allen type of situation -you get me?

And if the woman still wants to be friends with you, I understand that and see no problem with that. But ofcourse since you're still a little bitter at her and the divorce (I can picture that in your posts) then it harder for you. Take your time to heal and recover first.

And with this, financial burdens can be hella hard so I wouldn't necissarily blame someone for jumping. For 'better or worse, sickness and in health, and richer or for poorer' but we never know how much will we be ask to accept or what to expect. She may have married you expecting an equal financial partner to ease or share some of the financial burden at some point - and after 2.5 years if that is not what she had gotten, you 'failed' her expectations or what marriage is or what what she expected a spouse to be. I can't say if whether or not this is a 'legitimate' reason for divorce, but it's certainly a common reason for divorce.

As for a new woman in your life - any woman worth her salt will understand.
I agree. But in this case probably even less women will understand because it is not his biological daughter. They may think that this bond is less of a bond or not as important because she's not his bio daughter, and therefore the bond is easily more breakable. I disagree with that.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 59
Posted: 1/8/2010 4:27:46 PM

Just remember your still young, so find a childless women who you can create you`re future with instead of settling for another man`s child.
What the f*ck is it with men and this uncanny 'ownership' thing they got going on regards to women and relationships?

Dam, 'used' women with results from another man's seed should never be able to date or have another man again

{Generally speaking}
Tired of hearing this shit about how men shouldn't be attracted to or taking care of women with another man's babies.

And yet you want childless women to look all over the fact that you got kids and hope your ass will be ripe for a child-free woman. After all, what woman in her right mind will want a man with another woman's children?

Hypocritical bas*tards.
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 63
Posted: 1/8/2010 5:44:05 PM

Single men who have no kids can make that choice without offending. Its the ones who are single fathers who tell others not to date single mothers who offend.

Yup..that is what I read too and I agree. Not wanting to date someone with children is a preference unless you carry on feeling a need to put her down/degrade her/call her morality into question without even knowing her but simply because she is a single mom...then it is prejudice, not preference.

Fathers who refuse to date single mothers but see themselves as dateworthy by everyone ... they are the ones that are hypocrites.
 NappyKAT
Msg: 64
Posted: 1/8/2010 6:01:24 PM
This wasn't about your 'preference' as a single man with no children (and btw - you are in a SINGLE PARENTS forum just so you know).

What I have a problem with your inherent male superiority/patriarchy with this comment
settling for another man`s child.

I been on these boards for a couple of months and in reading the bashing that is constantly going on about single mothers, one constant argument of single mothers is that
'no man wants to take care of another man's child'
'woman should watch who they sleep with because they are going to have trouble getting men since they bear another man's children'
'men are stupid to get with single mothers because of the baby-daddy drama that comes trying to take care of another man's children.'

Yet guys feel that, even when they have a multiple children by different women (as one guy in the 'Multiple children by multiple partners' thread said), that they shouldn't stand to be judge by that and that they are a 'good men' regardless. Men are not so judge as 'used goods' or 'errant breeders' or have to defend themselves against having 'another woman's children' to bear or take care of.

If you are single and childless/childfree in the 'Single Parents' forum, it would behoove you to read well and show a bit of empathy and objectivity to the situations here. Negative judgment abounds, especially in regards to single mothers - and such myopic thinking and inherent gender bias is usually called out - whether it is your intention or not.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 1/12/2010 3:38:43 PM

I been on these boards for a couple of months and in reading the bashing that is constantly going on about single mothers, one constant argument of single mothers is that
'no man wants to take care of another man's child'
'woman should watch who they sleep with because they are going to have trouble getting men since they bear another man's children'
'men are stupid to get with single mothers because of the baby-daddy drama that comes trying to take care of another man's children.'

Amen Nappy and while there are women who have said this thing, that would ask me why I worried about my stepson when he had a mother, which to me was just stupid. If his mother had been dead, the way I acted toward and about my stepson would have been seen as the norm but somehow because I wasn't there for the first 11 years of his life and didn't birth him that I would not also be a parent to him. Not loving my ex-husband's son is something that never occurred to me so I truly don't get this other person's kid thing because the kids are the kids of someone you love so you should feel that they are your children too.
 artdataguy
Msg: 72
Posted: 1/15/2010 12:46:12 PM
OP- You aren't the only one with this issue. And wondering how to handle it. I commend you for being there. I agreee that the hardest part is finding someone who can live with you having a kid that you are dad for (and that you aren't biologically or legally) and what it means to them, as a time/money/emotional competition. Those that do, are probably not someone who even without the child being in question, is someone who would truly understand you or be on the same emotional area of the spectrum as you are.
If the girl sees you as what you are to her, and you accept that, is it wrong? No. Yes the child is adaptable, are you? Why do you have to give her up?

For the record: I have my 5 kids this weekend, and they are all my ex fiances and her ex husbands. I have them every other weekend at least, and see them every day. Her and I are not together anymore. I've known the kids for less than 4 years now, but man can you pack a lot in in such a short time. My advice follow your heart.
 himynameisSarah
Msg: 74
Posted: 1/17/2010 10:58:54 PM
My son does not see his father... he's seen him twice, and I initiated both meets.

My ex was with me from two months pregnant until my son was 1 1/2 years old. We split up, but he continues to keep contact with Wyatt. He takes him out to play video games, buys on holidays and birthdays, and just took him home the other night for a sleep over with his new girlfriend. I guess to some this may seem inappropriate, but I think it's good for both of them.

Wyatt loves that man, and we both know we're not going to be together. A kid can never get too much love, period/

As long as you realize it's over, it's okay to see the child: just don't be trying to get back into mommy's pants, or she will cut off the whole thing.
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 78
Posted: 1/18/2010 5:12:35 PM

which will piss a lot of women off.

You know what? Any person, regardless of gender, who cannot accept that a non-biological adult might have bonded with a child from a previous relationship is a shallow person, not worthy of a man like this one. If any woman cannot respect what he is doing, she doesn't deserve a man like him.

Self-centred, selfish biatches will care, well-adjusted, confident women will respect him and not see the child as "baggage".

Children are NOT baggage!!!!!!
 BckAgn86
Msg: 79
Posted: 1/19/2010 10:47:02 AM
Is the little girls biological father in the picture at all??
My advice would be to have a sit down with the mom.. I mean she obviously has to know how you being a part of the girls life for that long has attachments.. on both sides. For you and her...
You need decide if you would like to be in her life or not first I think. Then if you want to sit down with her mom and talk ab0ut it.. but if you aren't sure its gonna be something that here later down the line you aren't gonna want to stay connected with you need to cut ties now... no point in hurting everyone more..
 BckAgn86
Msg: 80
Posted: 1/19/2010 10:52:15 AM
I guess I should add that I have a little boy who will be 4 this year... and I dated a guy for about a year and was close to getting married when we split. My sons biological sperm donar is just that.. hasn't ever had anything to do with him.
After we split he said he wanted to keep seeing my son... I told him that would be ok but if it wasn't going to be a lasting thing than don't bother.. for a few months he stayed faithful with it.. but dating other women broke the habit as they did see a problem with it.. and even though it has been over a year since my son saw him he is still hurting from it and I never mention my ex, but a few times a month my son will ask for him, or about him..
its a delicate situatuion but whatever choice you make you need to make the choice to stay commited to whatever decision you make.
 himynameisSarah
Msg: 81
Posted: 1/19/2010 11:05:04 AM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
smart cookie, definitely need consistency
 amigoamante
Msg: 84
Posted: 1/23/2010 3:13:20 AM
I'm in a similar situation and the topic of a breakup has come up. My suggestion is: Do what's right FOR YOU. Don't worry about the girl or the ex. Children are amazingly adaptable, especially at an early age.

I personally think your ex should be the one to break the news to her, not you. Ultimately, she's the true parent, and the child will continue to live with her, get acquainted with her new lovers/dates and learn to deal with it as well.

Good luck!
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 85
Posted: 1/23/2010 3:08:55 PM
So then amigoamante, I assume you are not overly attached to the child in your life. That is all fine and good but the OP is attached. If the child is attached, the adult is attached, why should the child suffer because the adults couldn't make the relationship work?

Children are adaptable but if it happens frequently, attach and loss, they learn not to attach............because it hurts.
 hannity
Msg: 86
Posted: 1/23/2010 11:11:47 PM
You know what? Any person, regardless of gender, who cannot accept that a non-biological adult might have bonded with a child from a previous relationship is a shallow person, not worthy of a man like this one. If any woman cannot respect what he is doing, she doesn't deserve a man like him.

Self-centred, selfish biatches will care, well-adjusted, confident women will respect him and not see the child as "baggage"..

Are you kidding? What confident, independent, secure, intelligent woman with anything going for herself, would spend one millisecond dealing with a wimpering beta male, who's clamoring over a single mom and her kid whose not even his?! Women who are indepent and secure, know what they want in a man, and how they should be treated by a man. The want to be first, and they have the right to be put first especially if they have a lot going on for themselves. I know this is hard for a lot of single moms to understand, but childless men and women with no responsibilities other than their own have the right to "put their own interest first", and do "what is best for them." And the last man they want is some pushover male who is putting them second because he dated a single mom and got "attached" to her kid that she had by somebody else.

On the other hand, a trailer park dwelling, emotionally dependent, insecure single mom with 3-4 kids of her own my be more understanding of his situation.
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 87
Posted: 1/24/2010 8:39:05 AM
Hannity...have you watched the movie Shallow Hal? If you haven't, perhaps you should........

If you are an example of an alpha male....well I definately prefer beta males...
 jenn8131
Msg: 88
Posted: 1/24/2010 1:09:28 PM
Now hannity is not only speaking for all alpha men (alpha men are probably the ones that create more single moms anyway) but now he's speaking for all successful women. That a successful woman wants to come first... now me I personally always thought that only needy women needed to come first in their relationships. I would rather just be someone's equal partner.

Hannity not everyone agrees with your definition of success, not everyone agrees with your way of thinking. Not everyone believes in the same crap you do. You cannot make people think the same way you think.
Maybe a lot of people do share the same opinions that you live ur life by but not all... you don't speak for every successful person, you don't speak for every man.
I also don't buy your definition of success by having a nice home and a fancy car... to me that is a very limited view of success.

Your word is not the be all end all.... it isn't the gospel truth of life...

definition of an alpha male: a domineering man; the dominant member in a group of males... to me alpha males don't care about the feelings of others they are extremely selfish and only motivated by their desires and wants and don't care about who they hurt in the end to meet those needs.
Don't belittle kindness, compaison, love as somehow being a weaker man. Just because you might not be able to show those traits doesn't make a man that can a lesser man than you.

To love a child doesn't make one trailor trash. And having children outside wedlock doesn't make you an insecure woman. There are many reasons a woman might choose to have a child out of wedlock. Your believes are your believes stop trying to force everyone to view the world as you do. I know you haven't convinced me.

To be honest its kind of sad how you view the world. I guess some people just like to think that they are better then other people to feel good about themselves.
 itsallinthesoul
Msg: 89
Posted: 1/25/2010 6:42:30 AM
I have to say that reading all the responses in this thread makes me want to call up my buddy and tell him just how much I appreciate him for being a part of my son's life, for not "moving on" from him.
 ghostdog1973
Msg: 90
Posted: 1/25/2010 6:50:16 AM

I love my "step" kids . ( who are now both young adults), and I hope they will recognise the role I played in their lives as they come out of early adulthood.

dont' worry my friend, these kids know who loves them and who cares for them.

titles do not mean anything to kids.

they no doubt know where the love is coming from.

as my previous posts to this thread mentioned- hell i wasn't even 'step dad' and never stayed the night at my ex's place but her oldest (who's now 18) still contacts me and relies on me to help her out in life...her mom and I only dated 10 months.

point is- they know...
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  >