Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > Why (I think) it hasn't worked for me.      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 theseus82
Msg: 50
Why (I think) it hasn't worked for me.Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I feel like I should recant everything I said on here. The funny thing is, when I meet a girl in person, I can tell almost instantly whether we'll be able to hit it off in some capacity. I can't tell that anything will come of it, but I can at least tell if our personalities will mesh well enough that we can converse fluidly and enjoy each other's company.
On here, we have only two things to go on: pictures and the profile itself. The fact is that the true person doesn't really come across when you're just reading about their interests and so forth.
You get to know someone better by speaking to them on the phone than instant messaging, and more by being around them in person than talking on the phone.
By being constricted to learn about a person just based on the profile, I might find a girl who I find attractive and have similar interests in music, for example, but I've known plenty of pretty girls with whom I should mesh great with on paper, but who I can't stand in reality.

If only there was a way to analyze the identity, upload the data, and cross-check it against everyone else to determine who will have chemistry. I guess I'll just leave that to real life. :)
 justsomeoneelse
Msg: 51
Why (I think) it hasn't worked for me.
Posted: 3/27/2010 5:17:54 PM
Seus82, there is shining wisdom in which you wrote. It is difficult to understand or know a person from simple words on a webpage profile. For example, they may come across as an ultimatly friendly person online, but when it comes down to meeting them in person, the story changes. I speak of this because yes, it has happened before here to me, many times.

Of course people lie on their profiles. Now, the ladies and raptors have posted many a story here about how they met this guy who turned out to be completely different in their profile.

Things that often are brought up at POF (just a refresh)

1. Photos are ten years or more older than what they post.
2. "I am easy going, sweet and I have a heart of gold". This one caught me before..
3. Profession. it's funny how this one changes a lot. Childcare worker often is relayed as
"unemployed mother".

Don't mind me, like someone mentioned before, I am bored.
 SilenceSkyandSea
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/27/2010 11:56:52 PM
Most attractive women I've met are some combination of incontinent, unprincipled, misleading and, on occassion, evil. Being from Los Angeles, I've had several offers to model and been complimented for good looks, but it's still done little to find me a mutually beneficial relationship. What Ron has to say is certainly true in many respects; those who deny it will, five hours later, end up supporting it.
 jr123567
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/28/2010 2:59:18 PM

I mean I am here because of those moments during the day when I've nothing better to do and browsing through profiles and sending a few mails is my idea of fun.

Yeah, I get it, all right, Stashes. To sum up what you said: you don't want a relationship, you can easily get women elsewhere, and you are on here to relieve boredom and boost your ego. And you wonder why women are not responding to you on this site? How many women actually want a guy who fits your description? By now, every woman knows not to waste time with a guy who's "not that into you", right? We want to be wanted.
 sca344
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/28/2010 3:32:16 PM
haha... stashes you got the wrath of jr on your butt. just kidding....

What I got from that is that he doesnt put all his eggs in one basket. He can meet people anywhere. so can everyone else.. and everyone else should. im not sure about the ego part. I am not a mind reader.

People shouldn't expect anything from these types of sites. If you find someone, awesome. If not, at least you got to broaden your horizons and meet a bunch of different people in a short period of time.

Don't be so serious. :)
 jr123567
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/29/2010 8:41:50 AM
lol...."wrath"..that was cute, thanks sca344.

No, I'm not taking it too seriously at all -I totally agree with you, sca344. I like the way you put it, and I feel the same way. And maybe stashes was trying to say the same thing, but it came out very differently and more negative. Sure, a casual and relaxed no-pressure attitude is good. But I guess there's a line between that, and coming across as cavalier or uninterested, which could turn off potential dates. Does that make sense?
 sca344
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/29/2010 4:02:44 PM
you better quit flirting jr.. you are gonna make all these other guys jealous =P
 justsomeoneelse
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/29/2010 7:10:03 PM
With the exception of me...hehe. I met my gf elsewhere. I just come to have a muck round on the forums.
 DTFan88
Msg: 58
Posted: 11/16/2010 11:20:41 AM
I sometimes wonder if sites like this work better for people who live near large metropolitan areas. I live in a small town and the nearest major city is over an hour and half away. It isn't feasible for me to try to date someone that far away. Anyway, I see a lot of women near cities like Cleveland, Columbus,etc. but don't usually try to contact them due to the distance factor. My best guess is that people who live closer to large cities like that do a lot better in online dating due to the sheer number of potential matches. I don't see an easy remedy since I won't be moving soon.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 59
Posted: 11/30/2010 9:37:21 AM

I think you're just looking for an excuse not to try.

The onion does the peeling...^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
People drive an hour or more to work..that's lazy and uninterested.
 DTFan88
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/1/2010 9:16:19 AM

I hate to point this out to you but it works the same in onine dating as in real life.
If you live in a low population area then your choices are far more limited than one with a heavy population in real life or online. Just fewer options all the way around! And if you won't drive an hour and a half you don't want to meet someone bad enough I suppose.

I'd be willing to drive up to an hour, but no further for dating. Ideally, I'd like to meet someone who lives fairly close so planning multiple dates wouldn't be such an ordeal. I like that this site is free and everything but right now I'm probably not that serious about getting dates from it. I enjoy the message board community and still like to browse new members in my area from time to time though. I actually see a lot of women IRL I'm attracted to (in my area) but it is usually in places where it is hard to break the ice and meet them (ie. at grocery stores,etc.). I need to get out and be more social for sure.
 TerriLeee
Msg: 61
Posted: 12/13/2010 9:59:45 PM
Well it's no wonder why your still single! You have the worst attitude I have heard of in years. I read your comment you made here and all I could do was shake my head that there's guys like you still in this world....GROW-UP. Besides you make it sound like every woman on POF has difficulties relating to men. Maybe take a look at yourself first and see if the problem isn't just you.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/13/2010 11:37:45 PM
The thing is, you're enjoying this, aren't you, OP?
Yoú're enjoying flicking through the photos, reading the profiles, trying to find a perfect 10.
This is sooo like on-line shopping...
My advice is this:
accept your addiction and monitor it so you don't spend hour upon hour here, checking out the chicks.
If you're tired of no one taking up your invitations, move on from your "verbal fart" approach and show some of that wit. Otherwise, don't bother sending messages.
 happybunny8
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/13/2011 6:01:03 AM
Wow, they started deleting the nice guy threads in other topics, but seem to be totally missing this one.

I've never heard such negativity. How can you think a woman would want to date you with the attitude you have?

It won't matter what suggestions are made to these men because they always come back with yet another excuse.
 theseus82
Msg: 64
Posted: 4/18/2011 11:19:12 AM
Actually, peeps, I just came back because I got my old laptop working and found this site in my bookmarks. I haven't been here in months. I've been in a great relationship for about nine months now. It had nothing to do with this website (or any website), but the best of luck to all of you.
Show ALL Forums  > Testimonials  > Why (I think) it hasn't worked for me.