Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > diets verses fitness      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Belle Requin
Msg: 23
diets verses fitnessPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)

I actually just realized this but is there such a thing as fatty muscle as oposed to lean muscle?
Of course there is. Cows aren't the only ones who can have marbleized meat.
 loganlots
Msg: 24
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/12/2010 2:43:13 AM
[/The more body fat you have, the more creative your body will get in trying to find places to store it]

Sounds like cellulite to me.
 hamster-dance
Msg: 25
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/12/2010 2:57:52 AM
If there's no such thing as fatty muscle then where does bacon and marbled beef come from? I'm genuinely asking because I have no idea.
 Belle Requin
Msg: 26
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/12/2010 8:24:33 AM
Msucle and fat are separate, but muscle is a clustering of muscle fibres, and you can have fat in between strands of muscle. They're two separate things, but you can have fat marbled through your quads or back given that a muscle is fibrous.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 27
view profile
History
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/12/2010 8:42:56 AM
So then the other question. How do you build unlean muscle? I am guessing it is natrualy occuring on larger people with naturaly largest body types (mesomorph?), where as me with the lightest body type (ecdomorph?) is basically imposiable to build up and lean muscle comes very slowly but natrually to me. I ask because from a performance perspective wouldnt having your fuel closer to you muscles improve performance?
 Belle Requin
Msg: 28
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/12/2010 9:59:03 AM
fat isn't fuel. It can be used as fuel, but the primary fuel for muscles is glycogen.

I *think* what happens (and someone with a better background than my recent online searching regarding metabolizing fats, carbs, and protiens...) is glucose in your blood is converted and stored as glycogen in your muscles for fuel. Once glycogen is used up, then your body may look to the fat as fuel. So your muscles always have fuel ready to go unless you have already completed an endurance session. It's not automatic though.

Burning fat and the whole issue of metablism is actually not as simple as we might think it is.

I would actually think (no support, just thinking) excess fat in muscle tissue would make it harder to do things. However, muscles that are well worked, tend to be leaner than unused muscles. That's why free range meat tends to be leaner than farm produced meat.
 fifthson
Msg: 29
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/14/2010 2:17:59 PM
For some that weight is their natural weight. Example; I have a nephew who stands at 6'3" and his "natural" weight is 230lbs. I stand at 6'2' at 185lbs. The primary difference is bone density and muscle mass. Both are genetic factors. So, some one with a high bone mass plus a high muscle mass, equals a big person. Add no exercise and poor eating habits, you get a much bigger person. Someone of my genetic make up, with poor eating and no exercise, could still very well get big and heavy, but would not get to the size of the the high density type.(there are exceptions to the rule of course)

Look back at the history of old Russia and East Germany. Two countries that recognized these genetic factors and developed their olympians accordingly.
In old Russia I would make for a swimmer, or runner. My nephew would be a wrestler, weight lifter.

Women on the other hand have a much different genetic makeup. That is simple biology; they are built for pregnancy. Fat tissue is more prominant and dispersed differently than that of men, and they tend to have a lower bone density. (again, there are exceptions to the rule. Vanessa Williams, for example)

A good reference to help understand the variables that make for exceptions is the 3 body types that can be seen in the human as a whole: mesomorph, ectomorph. and endomorph. We all share a little of each characteristic , but as a general rule , we fit one more than the other. Knowing your body type offers great insight into the type of exercise and foods that will help establish your ideal weight.
 andy510
Msg: 30
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/14/2010 2:25:16 PM
Diet is hard, fitness is hard so I am waiting for the day when one pill takes care of all the problems of overweight people......... .
 smileatjen
Msg: 31
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/14/2010 2:50:06 PM
You have to do both. Complete lifestyle changes are critical! I would have never lost 150lbs without both of them together. You don't burn off calories & stored fat by just eating less.

I don't call it a diet. I just call it healthy eating. For me I eat a high protein low carb menu in my life. However, you have to find out what is best for you and your health.

Good luck.
 smileatjen
Msg: 32
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/14/2010 2:53:24 PM

Diet is hard, fitness is hard so I am waiting for the day when one pill takes care of all the problems of overweight people.........

It really isn't that it is hard. Its that we make it harder than it should be. I find that sometimes people do certain exercises not because they enjoy them, but because they feel they have to do those certain exercises themselves.

I box and run; and rather enjoy them. However, I did go to the gym and found it was lacking in motivation for me. So when I changed what I was doing and actually enjoyed going to the gym to box I knew I figured out what they meant by finding something that you like, gives you what you need, and you can see the results.
 EmotionallyDetached
Msg: 33
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/14/2010 6:25:27 PM
You can't have one without the other. I know that it does wonders for the body AND mind. To achieve a level of excellence through hard work and dedication is a blessing.

Some people cut corners to achieve noticeable results and unless it is for health reasons, that is cheating. Different when someone has surgery AFTER losing weight to remove excess skin,a lower body lift, a breast lift, or breast implants-----whatever it is or whoever is doing it should be done after losing the weight.
 DiannaBall
Msg: 34
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/14/2010 6:28:15 PM
^^^ I agree. Everything I have done I do on my own. No doctors, no surgery (major shortcut and not so good results later down the line.) Not that I ever needed it; but still, hard work is a good pay off. Diet and fitness go good together. :)
 andy510
Msg: 35
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/14/2010 6:30:06 PM
Once I lost 65 pounds and I regained all and more . I did through eating less and exercising . My problem is when I have problems or when i feel lonely I just keep on eating like a monster.....hahaha .
 smileatjen
Msg: 36
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/14/2010 10:07:45 PM
Let me just say that I had surgery (Lapband) but it was not a short cut. Yes, I have lost 150lbs, but it has been through sweat and tears. I want to make sure for those who may think it is a short cut really has no clue. My surgery was a tool. Without eating right and exercise nothing will work. I didn't take an easy road. I haven't had soda over a year (can't have it), don't eat bread, can't eat rice, I eat 1200 calories, etc. These were choices. I want to make it clear for those who feel surgery is an easy decision has no clue. I just know who I am and what is right for me. We all have advice, but don't necessarily have all the answers.

I just ask that some not think chosing surgery is an easy way to lose. For me, I work out hard and eat better than most people. Please think about your comments and don't assume.

thanks
 arwen52
Msg: 37
view profile
History
diets verses fitness
Posted: 1/15/2010 4:25:12 PM
Years ago the good folks at Tufts University did a study. One group ate 500 calories a day less, the other group ate the same but exercised so that they burned up 500 calories each day. Theoretically, both groups should lose the same amount of weight because they are both depriving their bodies of 500 calories, right?

Both groups lost weight however, the exercise group lost *more* weight and, even more significantly, they lost more body fat and they gained muscle tissue. (Overweight is a problem of excess body fat, not an excess of muscle.) The diet-only group lost body fat and they also loss muscle, which is not good.

That's what the results of their research was.
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  > diets verses fitness