Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 23
The law of conservation of energy.Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
That didn't help me any this time and your not even drinking beer...
 JustDukky
Msg: 24
The law of conservation of energy.
Posted: 1/13/2010 10:00:59 AM

and your not even drinking beer...

Correction...It's early in the day and I haven't drunk enough...yet.

On the other hand...I thought it answered your question (and didn't), so maybe I have had enough beer?
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/13/2010 10:33:55 AM
I made the mistake of asking my one daughter and ended up with an exhaustive response and a list of links. Now I'm more confused than ever.
That and she re-designed my desk top, added goth pics to my profiles on other sites, and generally messed with my mind as always. All in less time than it took for me to take a shower; shave my legs, and appear human. Man KIDS I tell you; at least she sent me a nice e-mail telling me all of what she accomplished during her lunch break.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 27
Posted: 1/13/2010 11:56:22 AM
Oh my word. After all the stuff I managed to put into my little simple mind today and that all just actually made sense. Holy cow there is hope for me yet!
Woo Hoo. You have no idea how happy I am right now!
 CountIbli
Msg: 28
Posted: 1/14/2010 11:01:51 PM

1) Emmy Noether, possibly the finest mathematician of all time, proved that the conservation of energy was equivalent to time symmetry. Fairly obviously, as a posited origin of the universe, time symmetry does not hold.

As you're probably aware, her result extends beyond conservation of energy. Symmetries in general are tied to conservation laws. Conservation of momentum arises from "space translation invariance" or space symmetry. Even conservation of electric charge arises from a symmetry (what's known as global guage invariance).

3) According to many modern cosmological theories, the total energy of the universe is zero to within the uncertainty principle. That is, the negative gravitational energy of the inflation of the universe balances all the other energies, including those in mass. This might support the idea of the universe's having arisen due to a quantum fluctuation involving only a small amount of energy.

I've heard these theories too. Lawrence Krauss has an excellent video on the subject on YouTube. However, these guys really should know better. In General Relativity the gravitational field does not have an associated stress-energy tensor. If it did then the Equivalence Principle couldn't hold.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/15/2010 5:54:14 AM
Oh don't you come along like a spider and sit in my cereal this morning!!!
I'm finally starting to understand a few things so don't scare me away!!!
 Ahron123
Msg: 31
Posted: 1/19/2010 7:46:24 PM

Neither energy nor universh have no low. That is humans confusion trying to make order everywhere without creates this statments.

Not true. There are some laws that the univers ALWAYS obays. If you find one single example of where the universe does not obay one of these laws, then it will not be a law any longer.

:)
 aremeself
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 7:52:42 PM
pink,

google, the four laws of physics.
it's very interesting.
 Off the Deep End
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2010 12:33:37 AM

The law of conservation of energy states that energy can never be created or destroyed..

Definitely true.

If this is true, what does it say about the well accepted moment where everything came from nothing?

Although there seems to be a contradiction, there really isn't. General Relativity tells us that the universe begins at a singularity. This temps people into thinking that before the singularity there was no matter, no energy, and no space. But in fact, the phrase "before the singularity" is meaningless since the concept of "before" presupposes the existence of time, and General Relativity tells us time itself begins at the singularity. There is therefore no violation of the law of conservation of energy since it is literally meaningless to say that "Before the Big Bang/singularity there was no energy."
 aremeself
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2010 12:34:34 PM
pink, doesn't that make life more interesting in a safer way?

keeps me out of the pubs.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  >