Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 beehearnow
Msg: 113
astrology and potential matePage 3 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)

We all know how hard it is to find a partner. Why make it harder by rejecting or prejudging someone based upon their date of birth

good point well said, LastFrog...
 AnarchoCapitalist
Msg: 119
astrology and potential mate
Posted: 1/17/2010 7:32:09 PM
I'm simply amazed at the number of self-proclaimed rational people who deny there's anything to astrology, or claim a belief in at least some validity to astrology, without knowing even the slightest thing about astrology other than what their sun sign is. Not anything about the specific traits of their sun sign, nothing about any of the other planets, houses, elements, aspects, various schools of astrology (e.g. synastry, natal), etc. In other words, you base your rejection or belief on nothing other than someone else told you what to believe. I think that's the antithesis of rational.

Well said. So far I doubt anyone on this thread has an in depth knowledge of astrology, myself included. Kinda silly that pof even puts the sun sign on peoples profiles, since they mean nothing by themselves anyway.

As for me, I'm interested because the FreeMasons are big believers, and those guys seem to be running the world from what I can tell. Google "As above, so below"
 AnarchoCapitalist
Msg: 120
Posted: 1/17/2010 8:10:21 PM
I used to think like you cw35, but I've seen and experience stuff that is WAY stranger than fiction.
 TravelingLight
Msg: 122
Posted: 1/17/2010 8:47:38 PM

Do I believe that given the grand conjunction of personal planets in the 4th house in Capricorn indicates that I'll have challenges around 'home' (as opposed to career, money, relationships, etc) in my life so I put a little extra attention into that area of my life? Yup. Do I believe that grand conjunction etc. causes these challenges in my life? No.

Do you have solid statistical back-up (and a sound theory) for that?

We're not all as irrational as you think, we may have reasons to be skeptical...

If people's lives are in such synchronism with planetary/stars positions/configurations, you need to demonstrate that well, because it is a rather implausible thing. Things happen for their own reasons here, and there's a history to how so many things develop, and you're telling us that despite the complex causes/effects involved and the historicity behind events, we're still in sync, to a considerable degree with the movements and positions of some planets and stars?

If you can demonstrate this, you'll win a science award

Please explain.. !
 repair-guy
Msg: 124
Posted: 1/17/2010 9:17:55 PM
Most people would not believe that they are the result of a single sperm wriggling about in their fathers right or left nut sack successfully being ejaculated into their mothers vagina and breaking into their better half!
Why go out of this world for incredible?
People are crazy!
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 125
view profile
History
Posted: 1/17/2010 9:43:48 PM
This has got to be the silliest argument. We will never convince the believers they could be wrong and they will never convince the rest of us to think it is any more than coincidences when something actually matches our personality.

Really it's not the month you were born in that makes you who you are.... It's your environment and your personality that makes you who you are...

Are all men compatible with female Virgos then? lol

So for all you women out there ... you are all compatible with Virgos... lol...
 cap_n_mORGAN
Msg: 127
Posted: 1/18/2010 1:11:51 AM
I am with Frog there is no more truth to that than there is to the Easter bunny!!!!
There is one exception though I found one chart that said Capricorns are by far the best in bed every performance THAT YOU SHOULD BELIEVE!!!!!!!........LOL

BTW I AM A CAPRICORN!!!!
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 128
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 4:08:06 PM

I'd rather be that, than a blind trusting sheep still looking at the heavens like our primitive ancestors did... cowering in fear that the universe was out to get them...

For most people astrology is nothing more than entertainment, they don't believe there is really any truth to it.

Hmmm,
Being logical is a good thing isn't it?

Thank you for the compliment...

It has been my observation that folks who readily dismiss the merits of astrology are generally pragmatic, logical and rigid.

This pointless argument is amusing.......
 Bablynbrook
Msg: 130
Posted: 1/19/2010 9:47:52 PM

I'd rather be that, than a blind trusting sheep still looking at the heavens like our primitive ancestors did... cowering in fear that the universe was out to get them...
Yes, there's a lot to be said for evolution, too bad so many missed out...

Okay, I have to say this and then I am done. M Church, you have talked about how astrology is a load of crap and the people that believe it could be are basically caveman-like imbiciles, yet you keep arguing. So, what does that make you? Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you to their level and beat you with experience. Isn't that how the saying goes?
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 131
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 10:17:16 PM

Message 169 - Capricorns are full of themselves..................

And they are NOT the best lovers...............hmmm

I was married to a Capricorn but although the above is true it has nothing to do with his sign.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 132
view profile
History
Posted: 1/19/2010 10:41:52 PM

Capricorn men are too selfish.

I'm sure there are lots of selfish lovers who are not all Capricorn. The fact he is just a selfish person in all other aspects has nothing to do with astrology either. lol

If you check out different astrology sites each one will have a different reading.
 TravelingLight
Msg: 137
Posted: 1/20/2010 7:51:04 PM
M Church has valid questions, except that as far as planets, stars, etc being far away and that light coming from them gives us an image of the past, well we might also say that gravitation or other forces, emissions , whatever, may travel similarly fast, or close, thus the distance nor the position we perceive the planets and others to be in would not be misleading, relative to 'influences' or whatever phenomena is involved -according to astrologers.

Still, one can wonder how can astrology, with birth charts of the client (and of his parents as one astrologer once told me, more precision, and reliability) or other tool for knowledge, works.

Or how it can. Maybe it does to a point. There likely are some influences, maybe even unexplained relations, connections, between planets and humans, but I feel astrology has exaggerated what it can do.
Too many things are left without strong demonstration or simply are naive.

Astrologers have not answered these questions satisfactorily or it would have become a recognised science.
For the moment, it is very dubious. Even if it had the potential of having lots of practical applications.

(by the way I'm a virgo therefore I'm analytical and with a sharp critical sense, so don't mess with me! :wink: )
 Bablynbrook
Msg: 138
Posted: 1/20/2010 8:08:13 PM

Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you to their level and beat you with experience. Isn't that how the saying goes?

I'm not disagreeing with you....

That is a first!! I have to bring that up to get you to stop? Hummm....
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 140
Posted: 1/20/2010 8:32:28 PM
Considering Economists have less to work with and that is considered a science baffles me to no end. If the Fed had a crack team of astrologers instead of bogus economists and their made up math models could things be any worse?
In the future, folks will laugh at economic soothsayers as much as folks do astrology.

M Church makes a good point.
There can be no proof.

Yet after dating abunch and mixing it up with all sorts of people in general I find it fascinating that folks do tend to have a personality vaguely like their sign.
(year of birth as well as month)

My take on it is this:
We live on a planet hurdling thru space at fast speeds.
It circles a star also hurdling thru space at fast speeds.
Planets circle it and affect it's orbit(slightly) as they do the earth.
This system is not isolated but moving at great speed around the milky way
which in turns influences it's orbit and speed.
As do the other galaxies which in turn also influence the milky way. all of which hold each other in a mutual gravity grid. Constantly pulling and tugging. Energy comes from all of em.

As you read this cosmic rays of all sorts are penetrating you and hitting your molecules and DNA and changing em. Mostly benign changes since most of our DNA is not used. These rays come from the farthest reaches of space. Gravity from all the stars, sun, moon, planets... all exert force and tension on our planet and us that we do not feel. We are a nexus of force, energy, and cosmic rays.

As you are conceived and born these forces constantly affect you. Our bodies are marvels of survivability and adaptability. But even so, outside events influence us. Smoking? drugs? these will affect the unborn. So would stress of the mother. As well as the weather during pregnancy and particles in the air. We take it all in. Absorb it. And pop out best we can.

I figure the gravitational alignment(tensions) of our solar system and it's planets and the
positions of neighboring stars probably affect us as well. Depending on where the sun is, some cosmic rays from other stars are blocked, while some are not and penetrate us.

The ancients considered conception and gestation to be key. but could only be really sure of birth. So worked with that.

To me astrology is abit like the weather.
Too much gravitation tension from various sources and we are out of sorts.
But when the planets are lined up right with their pull counteracting each other we feel more energetic and optimistic. The location of stars can't predict when you'll meet someone. But perhaps give you favorable days when your personal energy is at it's best.

You can meet someone 1st time in the rain if you want.
(If a weatherman tells you it's gonna rain).
But you'd probably wait till he predicts it would be sunny.
Cus it's easier to talk to someone on a sunny day.
just feels better.
more optimistic.
 Red Fish GF
Msg: 142
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2010 10:38:26 AM

You're also assuming that all women believe in astrology... oddly enough, there are a lot of women who also do not belive in it... I wnder if they would date a man who believed... I doubt it somehow...

I know I've stated this before but I used to check different astrology sites as a form of entertainment on the internet. I never used the paid sites and just thought it was interesting to see coincidences and compatibility traits. I don't know why it was even entertaining since I didn't actually think any of it was true. I looked at one the other day that was listed in a different thread exactly like this one arguing back and forth and it was so much blah, blah I couldn't even read it. I must of been really bored before.

In court for child custody my ex's lawyer asked me if I believed in the horoscopes I was reading. They were trying to prove I was crazy.lol

I'm not sure if I would date a man who believed in astrology or not but I was relieved when my SO thinks it is nonsense like I do.
 Rarebird76
Msg: 143
Posted: 1/21/2010 12:03:48 PM
The vulcans are strong in this thread. The problem with ultra logical thought process is life is not 100% knowable YET some act as if they know everything about life/the universe using tools/notions created by HUMANS. Flawed 'logic' IMO. I could provide example after example how in my experience people have held true to their sign yet no amount of that will ever qualify as "evidence" it seems. At what point does coincidence become more than coincidence? 100% repeatability? Not possible since IMO signs are not 100% responsible for someones behavior. I said earlier how can you prove something that is not 100% responsible for something yet that was ignored apparently.
 bikeman1467
Msg: 144
view profile
History
Posted: 1/21/2010 2:15:34 PM

as a capricorn i'm drawn to leo. does this make any sense?
No.

Next question.
 Who says
Msg: 146
Posted: 1/21/2010 9:03:49 PM
I know people that did stuff to get rid of an illness that they were supposed to die from...the doctors wrote in the books "spontaneous recovery" and didn't even want to know what had lead to the patients recovery!

Does the catholic church still require confession after you dabble in astrology??? Anybody knows?

Mr stray cat, that is very beautifully said.
 TravelingLight
Msg: 147
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:01:55 AM
I'm not a control freak, I even believe in some paranormal phenomena but because I have good reason to believe. I'm not rigid, just careful.
 brownie360
Msg: 148
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:18:48 AM
i dont really follow astrology either, but for some reason, i dont click with earth signed people, especially virgos!
 TravelingLight
Msg: 149
Posted: 1/22/2010 12:21:31 AM
^^^Hey, I'm virgo! (Not that I believe in that..)

SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 151
Posted: 1/22/2010 7:14:34 AM
I will admit that i have read up on my sign, my kids signs, and whenever i have liked a man, his sign as well, and found a lot of things to be very accurate.

But acyually choosing/rejecting/or basing life decisions around signs, no, thats putting to much weight on it.
 txredbull
Msg: 152
view profile
History
Posted: 1/22/2010 9:18:27 AM
If your capricorn, Taurus is a better fit for you than Leo.
 Bablynbrook
Msg: 156
Posted: 1/22/2010 3:54:37 PM

Like the dyslexic atheist said...there is no dog. ........

Rarebird76
Msg: 157
Posted: 1/24/2010 3:43:56 PM
Logic was not created by humans.
Logic is observed by humans.
When I've observed repeated patterns of behavior in people it compels me to take the next step and make a logical connection after a certain point. From my personal experience it would be illogical (for me) to ignore these observed patterns.

Astrology posits known human characteristics, knowing that the statistical rate of probability is high.
Whereby it produces false positives.
False positives do not qualify as "results".
False positives occur randomly.
But when you have specific characteristics which are repeatably observed linked to a specific sign it makes me believe it's not false.

That just proves that they're worthless, and merely random guesses about individuals.
Thank you for very succinctly arguing against yourself, and in favour of the absence of viability of astrology.
That's why identical twins, who are virtually identical clones, and have virtually the same astrological charts, can be radically different.
It's unpredictable how they'll develop.
Because they're individuals.
Independent.
Shaped by different life experiences, knowledge, and independent thoughts, not by celestial events and alignments.
I consider astrology to be a factor not the only one. Twins can be radically different but also radically the same (finishing each others sentences etc). Maybe there are other factors specific to twins only.

Does astrology have an explanation for those who are born left handed? Bisexual? Gay? Sociopathic? Manic Depressive?
Genetics could be the reason(s).

Does it work on other mammals?
Because it certainly doesn't work on litters of pups or kittens, now does it?
IDK. I'm not a cat so it's hard to know. I've had 2 tabbies and one was a total hellraiser while the other is stoic cool cat suzy. IDK what's going on with other mammals.

How about goldfish?...
I don't think goldfish are complicated enough to exhibit much. Like how could you tell if they were very stubborn or vain etc , lol.

Anyway, all I can say is I personally believe there's something to them beyond random chance. Whether or not others don't is cool.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >