Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 TheReason_
Msg: 205
view profile
History
astrology and potential matePage 5 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
I would pass. I've found people into astrology to generally be kinda flakey.
 late™
Msg: 206
astrology and potential mate
Posted: 4/9/2010 9:07:13 AM
OP -

does this make any sense?

No, if by sense you mean, "a reasonable or comprehensible rationale".

is this good or bad

I can see it being "good" if both potential mates are credulous, if there's a mismatch, ...I can foresee possible problems in their future.... (ooOOooeeEEeeooOOooeeEEee)

Basically; if one person clings to logic and reason and the other clings to confirmation bias via emotional conviction --> there is an unresolvable epistemological schism that can lead to a "failure to communicate".
 anunu
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 4/9/2010 5:38:03 PM
Yep, I do gage who I date on an astrological sign.
It may sound crazy, but I have discovered that no matter what, I do not get along with another Cancer man in a relationship.
Therefore, I refuse to date a Cancer man. Great for friends, bad for lovers.

I did notice that I pair up really well with Pieces, Scorpio, Leo and Taurus

The first question, I ask each and every man I communicate with here and anywhere, is his complete birthdate.

I also do the same(it may not always be the first question). I ask for a full birthdate to determine compatibility.
 Soul Union
Msg: 210
Posted: 6/10/2012 5:48:25 PM

If I found out a woman believed in Astrology, I dumped her. [sic] I wanted an intelligent woman.... belief in astrology is a sign(had to throw that word in somehow) that she isn't bright enough to go out with... - m_church

You have three Pefer Not to Says in your profile, and zero information written by you about who you are as a person. And you want an intelligent woman - one who doesn't believe in astrology? So the disbelief in astrology, per se, assures her intelligence?

Astrology has nothing to do with intelligence - or lack of it. But, just for your information, we astrologers are not all idiots and nondescripts. We don't breathe the same rarefied air that you do, but we are not imbeciles.

Two of the most accomplished and respected astrologers on the planet are Noel Tyl and Paul Wright.

Mr Tyl is one of the most prominent astrologers in the Western world. He is a graduate of Harvard University in psychology, and burst onto the American astrological scene in 1972 with dynamic ideas that linked psychological need theory and astrological symbolisms together for ever. Tyl has authored 24 books. He is one of astrology's most sought-after lecturers globally and has appeared on well over 100 radio and television shows.

Mr Wright has an honours degree in chemistry and an MSc in economics. He has studied and worked in astrology for about 20 years.

Obviously these scholars are not up to par where you are concerned, m_church, but you must admit they are trying. As for your opinion, and that is all I suspect it is, about the science of astrology, I assume you have based it on rigid and empirical evidence and research? I would expect nothing less of you.

Blessings to everyone on PoF.

Peter.
 Paderic
Msg: 211
Posted: 6/10/2012 6:24:00 PM
Obviously these scholars are not up to par where you are concerned, m_church, but you must admit they are trying. As for your opinion, and that is all I suspect it is, about the science of astrology, I assume you have based it on rigid and empirical evidence and research?

Empirical evidence reveals that astrology is a bunch of hooey.
 jmark4
Msg: 212
Posted: 6/10/2012 7:55:22 PM
astrology is PROVEN to be comically not a science.

I remember in college 100 of us filled out a 200 question astrology test. Our teacher sent it in. 2 weeks later we got it back. All of us were told to read it and say whether it was true or not. 85 or so said it was true 15 or so said it wasnt'. (I was one of the 15)

Then a friend of mine was asked to read hers aloud. Within 4-5 sentences we realized we all were given the same results.

Houdini proved it wrong as well showing techniques astrologers use stating vague things that can pretty much describe us all.

Which calendar do you use? which astrology do you use? what theory? In fact the earths axis has changed since the time of the babylonian calendar so astrology charts aren't even factual to them!

To live your life by silly vague comments predictions or to think the night your parents had sex to create you controls what type of person you are and the decisions you make is beyond ridiculous.

I would never date anyone that took it seriously.
 musical_turtle
Msg: 213
Posted: 6/10/2012 8:20:44 PM
Well, I wouldn't reject someone just because of their sign, or seek someone out
because of their sign lol.
I like to think of astrology just for fun =) Not to be taken too seriously.
I have noticed I don't get along with people who happen to be Scorpios lol.
Nontheless, I'm a Libra =)
I have to admit...I have plenty of libra traits.
(being indecisive and sociable are two)
Apparently, I'm only compatible with Geminis,Aquarians,and Aries. lol.
 yesreallyitsme
Msg: 214
Posted: 6/10/2012 8:29:28 PM
I am a Gemini. Maybe you would like to meet us. One of me is corny and the other one of me is flakey.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 215
Posted: 6/10/2012 8:33:39 PM
Oh, no. This shit again?
 yesreallyitsme
Msg: 216
Posted: 6/10/2012 8:40:48 PM
Oh come on pig, were just having fun

Oh, no. This shit again?

You must be talking about what you found in your trough this morning. Sure wasn't slop huh?
 Archangel_07
Msg: 217
Posted: 6/10/2012 8:52:50 PM
I don't believe in astrology. But I do believe in Karma how you treat others is how your going to get it back in return.
 someoneyouusedtoknow
Msg: 218
Posted: 6/10/2012 9:18:23 PM
Did a google search on Zodiac Compatibility and found an interesting site.

When it comes down to it, you have free-will to act and live life the way you see it, and so do the people around you. With this said, remember that information on Zodiac compatibility is not a guide to your destiny, but a tool for self-understanding. Learning who you are and how you relate to others will give you a better chance at finding the right person.

Hmmm Ok, I am a cancer. I've never put much stock in it. But I have often half-jokingly said I was a typical Cancer, too open, too honest, too generous. Cancer types will tend to get run over if we aren't careful. Whether you believe in the zodiac signs or not, there are some interesting correlations...

Cancer and Cancer - Two people born under this zodiac sign will make a happy home as these two can have fun together staying indoors as much as being out. The pair will be able to know what the other is feeling in a psychic sort of way. If they are married, they will have to consistently feed each other with love and attention plus show understanding if one of them gets emotional. If these needs are met, it can be a marital bliss.
my current lady friend is also a cancer and yes, we seem to almost read each others thoughts and feelings and needs and provide for those needs for each other

Cancer and Libra - These two fairly passive zodiac signs look like they can make a good match at first glance, but it is actually the opposite. Libra will not find the intellectual stimulation in this relationship and Cancer will find Libra is holding back the tender loving care. Because they are both denying each other their best assets, there is hardly any spark between them. On rare occasions, Libra and Cancer can get together and become a loving couple, but that is not the norm.
my previous lady friend was a Libra and yes I did feel she was holding back.

Cancer and Capricorn - Cancer and Capricorn have many things in common they can both relate to. In the similarities department, both signs are ambitious and crave security. Their families are a big part of their lives and they keep the same friends around for a long time. This would have easily been a four-thumbs up match but Capricorn's lack of strong emotions conflicts with Cancer who is but full of emotion. If Capricorn puts other priorities before Cancer, it will no doubt hurt Cancer and it can potentially get worse from there with Capricorn's indifference to Cancer's feelings. This is still a good match overall as long as both parties commit fully to the relationship, something Capricorn and Cancer are known to be good at.
My ex-wife was a Capricorn and yes, she did show alot of indifference and didn't fully commit, in fact cheated on me a couple times.

In the end, you have to make up your own mind...
 Paderic
Msg: 219
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:27:55 AM
There is no such thing as an accurate chart.

The notion that celestial bodies which lie outside our solar system have an effect that predictably repeats on the same frequency as the earth's orbit around the sun is utterly ridiculous.
 Capn_America
Msg: 220
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:31:29 AM
Whoa, who brought this thread back?

Just a second guys, let me get my magic potion, spider's dust and lightsaber, we're going to look at planets and see what the future holds..................
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 221
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:08:46 AM
I don't believe in astrology. But I do believe in Karma how you treat others is how your going to get it back in return.

You know, I've heard this most of my life, but the way I see it, bad shit is going to happen to all us no matter what. So, is that necessarily "karma" at work?

But, just for your information, we astrologers are not all idiots and nondescripts.

Yes, you are.
 larissan04
Msg: 222
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:16:39 AM
it's not as simple as just ones sun sign. you may be a capricorn, but you might also have a leo moon sign, or perhaps a leo rising. typically, earth signs (capricorn, taurus, and virgo) go together well because they are of the same "element." leos are fire signs, and traditionally they get along well with other fire signs (aries, sagitarius, and leo). i, for example, am a leo sun, and have a cancer moon, with a leo rising. i have a lot of planets in my chart that are in cancer and scorpio. i tend to either get along very well with scorpios and cancers, or not at all. pisces? ugh! i can't stand pisces women or men, typically. i also don't along that well with aries. water signs (scorpio, pisces, and cancer) are usually a bit more dreamy, mystical, moody, and can be intense. air signs (aqaurius, gemini, and libra), tend to be a bit more cerebral, out going. water usually works best with earth, and fire usually works best with air. there are some signs that are considered rather stressful combinations, or what is called a square. for example, leo and scorpio are considered squares, but because i have scorpio and lots of water signs in my chart i probably get along with them better then a lot of leos. but again, it all comes down to each individual's birth chart and the actual placement of all the planets at the time of birth. now, whether you believe any of this stuff is a whole different matter altogether. i believe a little bit of it, but i think you have to take it with a grain of salt. my interest in astrology has always been a bit more of an intellectual curiosity, and being that i enjoy learning about pretty much anything, i have learned a lot about it over the years.
 Capn_America
Msg: 223
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:22:56 AM

But, just for your information, we astrologers are not all idiots and nondescripts.

God...please someone shoot me now.

air signs (aqaurius, gemini, and libra), tend to be a bit more cerebral

Well, being a Gemini....want to see me do my tax returns? You`ll probably never laugh more in your life. I`m about as cerebral as a bug. I STILL laugh at someoen who falls down on the street instead of helping them. Hell, I`ll consider tripping them again just for the hell of it.

Astrology`s an interesting pass time; a bit like Dungeons and Dragons, you can REALLY get into it, but don`t consider suicide if you suddenly find out it`s a load of hogwash.

is the highest manifestation of reason. every social personality has a deep rooted sense of what is right and wrong

Too bad not everyone thinks your way lady. I took classes a long time ago, about security in commerces, and figures and facts were shocking; did you know that 90% of people are evil? According to some psychological studies I CANNOT validate (this was a class about 9 years ago, sorry LOL) apparently there`s a 10% good core of people that will know and do Right, another 10% who will know and do Wrong, and the remaining 80%...will do Wrong when Right isn`t looking.
So I`m kind of skeptical of that line of thinking. If we all thought that way it would work, but we don`t, so it just sounds as if its a way to deculpabilise yourself and distance yourself from any bad effect that ever happens to your life, instead of dealing with it as just "sh*t happens"...
 larissan04
Msg: 224
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:26:13 AM
pig of your dreams~

"You know, I've heard this most of my life, but the way I see it, bad shit is going to happen to all us no matter what. So, is that necessarily "karma" at work?"

you are getting into a philosophical discussion that philosophers have been arguing about for eons. why do bad things happen to good people? what is the nature of ethics and morals? if god is omniscient and benevolent, then why does he allow bad things to happen to good people? if there is evil in the world, then how can we say that god is benevolent? the questions go on and on, and one can get weary after pondering it all. the bottom line is this: clean hands make for a much happier life. being ethical, having some moral integrity, etc., is the highest manifestation of reason. every social personality has a deep rooted sense of what is right and wrong. if you want to love yourself, feel like a good person, etc, then don't violate your own code of honor.
 larissan04
Msg: 225
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:31:54 AM
capn-america

there are messy virgos. like i said, you have to look at the whole chart. just because someone is a gemini doesn't necessarily mean they act like one; there are other planets to consider. i am a leo, and i dont act like one. i bet if you had a knowledgeable astrologer run your birth chart he or she could tell you a lot of things about you. you'd have to know your exact time of birth, and you'd also have to know where you were born (i am amazed that some people don't know these things). anyway, one can get wayyyyyy into astrology, just like anything else. my knowledge of it only goes so far, and i tend to view it as something interesting and that's about as far as it goes.
 Capn_America
Msg: 226
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:35:47 AM
there are messy virgos. like i said, you have to look at the whole chart. just because someone is a gemini doesn't necessarily mean they act like one; there are other planets to consider. i am a leo, and i dont act like one. i bet if you had a knowledgeable astrologer run your birth chart he or she could tell you a lot of things about you. you'd have to know your exact time of birth, and you'd also have to know where you were born (i am amazed that some people don't know these things). anyway, one can get wayyyyyy into astrology, just like anything else. my knowledge of it only goes so far, and i tend to view it as something interesting and that's about as far as it goes.

You know, out of curiosity a long time ago, I went to see 2 people; a medium, and an astrolger. I got kicked out by BOTH; one told me he flat out refused to "divine me" (whatever the hell that means), and the medium said that a shadow so dark hung over my head it was crippling her. I think she just knew I`d see right through her.
Anyways, that being said, I believed in this stuff when I was 8. I grew up and saw the world. I think if magical powers of prediction or divination existed, or ways to know how certain people think, we`d have known about Sadam Hussein, Ben Laden and Adolf Hitler and gotten rid of them way before they did what they did.
But I`ll admit its fun to read, if you take it very offhandedly. But for the thousands of people I met in my life, I can safely say not one fits the mold when it comes to astrology. People are unique; that`s the beauty of people.

Edit: Paderic; the people who perpatuate this stuff in forms of books, charts, Almanacs and what not are making a HELLUVA lot of money off of people who take this stuff and just eat it all up and live their lives following it.
 Paderic
Msg: 227
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:37:20 AM
I don't care how many charts, back up charts, backup to the backup charts, or whatever nuances you try to work into the discussion- it's still nonsense because it's based on a nonsensical concept. Keep in mind, the people that thought this crap up thought the earth was the fixed center of the universe and all the celestial bodies moved around it.
 Capn_America
Msg: 228
Posted: 6/11/2012 1:13:13 PM

There are many many things in the scientific world that make little logical sense. To dismiss something because you think it makes no logical sense is to be a very poor scientist indeed.

I'm sorry; how can you say he's a very poor scientist if he dismisses something that, not that cannot be proved, but that has BEEN proved not to have an impact?
It's been proven that the planets and starts affect human behavior in no ways. I fail to see how one could be called a poor scientist when he doesnt confound science with magic.................
 Vardøger
Msg: 229
Posted: 6/11/2012 4:49:05 PM
I don't hold enough interest in astrology to argue for or against it with absolute conviction.

However, as a conversation piece, I am pleased to offer up the results of my birthchart, which give me 5 planets in scorpio, one of which is my sun sign.

that's right, 5 planets in scorpio.

so, in short, if you're going to try and bash me, you better at least have impeccable grammar and devilish wit.
 Paderic
Msg: 230
Posted: 6/11/2012 7:53:28 PM
Well, you could certainly say that about a bunch of stuff. Take a look at quantum physics for some crazy stuff. That didn't stop Richard Feynman from writing about it or stop "Real Scientists" from believing in it. In quantum mechanics it has been postulated by physicist Johne Wheeler that observing a particle now can affect the way particles behave IN THE PAST". There is no logical reason why observing a particle today would effect a particle in the past, but it has been shown to be the case.

Quantum mechanics has been repeated by other scientists with empirical data. Astrology has not.

Science is that which is proven. Astrology has never been proven.

There are many many things in the scientific world that make little logical sense. To dismiss something because you think it makes no logical sense is to be a very poor scientist indeed.

Astrology is not part of the scientific world any more than witchcraft is.
 feelin_alright7777
Msg: 231
view profile
History
Posted: 6/11/2012 8:59:10 PM
I would prefer to not believe that astrology holds merit. I am an electrical engineer; logical thought, higher math, the laws of physics, creativity, and "scientific methods" are all part of my daily life.

However....I have yet to know anybody very well who defies the general traits subscribed to their sun sign. It's amazing. I'm talking about really knowing someone...facades don't count. And don't tell me a libra is the same as a cancer, the traits are hugely diverse and unique. This has been MY experience. Then I had my chart done. It read like an autobiography.

There isn't a person on this planet who even knows "what life is" (beyond general descriptions.) If you think humankind understands more than one billionth of one percent of one percent about the universe well then maybe you also think you know what is "science" and what is "not science."
For all we know, the fact that the more complex of the higher life forms seem to enjoy year-round mating/birthing may well help bring diversity that contributed to that success in the first place.

So in a universe where gravity bends light, time travel is possible, life appeared from basic elements, a human brain evolved..there's is absolutely no way your innate behavior could possible be effected by the the forces of the sun, moon, and planets....and you know that for sure.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >