Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 amore01
Msg: 232
astrology and potential matePage 6 of 19    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19)
i recently met a guy that pulled out a crystal from his pocket,, that he recently purchased from somewhere in asia..anyway,he began to rub it between his hands and asked me to hold it.he then asked me if I could "feel it"..the only thing I could feel was a headache coming on and realized Id better finish my glass of wine so I wouldnt laugh in his face..
 feelin_alright7777
Msg: 233
view profile
History
astrology and potential mate
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:28:46 PM

recently met a guy that pulled out a crystal from his pocket,, that he recently purchased from somewhere in asia..anyway,he began to rub it between his hands and asked me to hold it.he then asked me if I could "feel it"..the only thing I could feel was a headache coming on and realized Id better finish my glass of wine so I wouldnt laugh in his face/quote]

.maybe it was the wine that was giving you the headache.. ;)
if the wineglass was "crystal" it resonates at a much lower frequency than the true crystals that run your computer and cell phone. Quartz is your friend. Not sure about the rubbing though.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 234
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:45:22 PM
(coughs and fans the air with hand)

Damn, the pot smoke in here is getting awfully thick.
 JQinSF
Msg: 235
Posted: 6/11/2012 9:46:42 PM
What m_church said in post 2.
 amore01
Msg: 236
Posted: 6/11/2012 10:04:57 PM
maybe it was the wine that was giving you the headache.. ;)
if the wineglass was "crystal" it resonates at a much lower frequency than the true crystals that run your computer and cell phone. Quartz is your friend. Not sure about the rubbing though. Nope..Im pretty sure my glass of wine made it more tolerable what ever he was rambling about..it wasnt the first time he tried to get me to "feel is energy"..between that and listening to his star trek mumbling ....Geesh..
 Paderic
Msg: 237
Posted: 6/12/2012 6:32:18 AM
Really? I'm sorry but how would you know? Lets talk quantuum. Explain it to us. Can you tell me please how something I do today effects something that happened yesterday?

That's like asking someone to explain mathematics. It's a very broad subject.

I have an admittedly limited understanding of modern physics, it has been 30 years since I studied it. It is a collection of knowledge, not a single principle. A great deal of laboratory work has been done since its inception, numerous physicists have verified the work of others. However, not all hypotheses have become theorems. The field continues to evolve.

It seems you're attempting to describe one aspect of quantum physics with an analogy based in classical physics. It doesn't work.

Smugness is neither science or truth.

Ad hominem arguments are neither science or truth, and comparing astrology to modern physics is ludicrous.
 Capn_America
Msg: 238
Posted: 6/12/2012 8:20:20 AM

Well, perhaps because one has a poor imagination

No. Science and imagination don't have that much in common, unless you take the imagination to think of a new concept or new ways to apply science as imagination. Science is a gathering of facts. No facts about astrology exist that can't be proven by a number of different reasons, which include culture, social upbringning, location, etc.
You say a certain year affects people in a certain way; I say that same year, those same people would be the same age, at said point in time, and many of said people would have similar studies, upbringnings, etc. Would possibly study along the same lines. Would work in the same fields. Etc.
About 300 years ago, probably atrologers could predict someone would go into coal mining. Doubtfull a lot of that happens nowadays; you tell them they'll go into computer sciences.
While I'll agree we do not know far more than we do, Astrology has been PROVEN to be inacurate. Any astronomist in the world can tell you that what's written in the books about planetary or stellar alignement is mostly off. Many of them do not believe it.
Some believe it. Good for them. I don't consider them to be very serious scientists.
I have nothing against the thing; as a bedtime reading thing, or as a Sherlock Holmes Adventure concept.
But to live one's life according to it will make, I would think, for a lot of disapointements and a lot of false visions.

But hey, humans love to blind themselves, so what the Hell LOL!
 Capn_America
Msg: 239
Posted: 6/12/2012 11:08:42 AM
I suggest we all get down on the floor, holding hands, smoking weed, and start singning Kumbah-Yah. While having an incredibly torrid orgy, in the middle of the star charts.
 scifichicky
Msg: 240
Posted: 6/12/2012 11:11:13 AM
or skip the singing and star charts ^^^^^
 good_catch77
Msg: 241
Posted: 6/12/2012 2:34:36 PM

just wondering who matches up in the astrological order of things lol. as a capricorn i'm drawn to leo. does this make any sense?is this good or bad lol. i think i might be on to something here lol.just bored and havin fun. any input would really help

It's not as popular as it was, back in the day "what's your sign was a popular pickup line" and people considered signs and the meanings a lot more. Certain signs shouldn't/should date each other.

I've read some on this stuff. I'm a Capricorn myself. I used to not take it serious until I did look into it. Most are pretty accurate and scary in a way too.
 Paderic
Msg: 242
Posted: 6/12/2012 3:45:56 PM
Actually that sounds a LOT like astrology. Clearly you are mistaking "pop culture" astrology for the real thing. The study of astrology predates astronomy and most, if not all, of the other sciences.

Astrology is not a science, it is more accurately described as a religion. It has never been successfully defended in any kind of blind study or statistical analysis. Adherents see what they want to see. It simply does not hold up to scrutiny under the scientific method.

I can probably find more quotes that refute it, that proves nothing.
 feelin_alright7777
Msg: 243
view profile
History
Posted: 6/12/2012 3:48:12 PM
@m_church

if the wineglass was "crystal" it resonates at a much lower frequency than the true crystals that run your computer and cell phone. Quartz is your friend. Not sure about the rubbing though

Most wine glasses are glass... especially in restaurants, bars etc...
That being said, "crystal" wine glasses are not crystals...
They have no crystalline structure at all... Glass or otherwise... They are merely a type of glass with other substances added to improve clarity and workability... originally lead, but lead is not a good mix with an acidic drink such as wine as the lead will leach into the wine... so it's replaced in newer crystal with safer materials.......

Guess you missed the " " and the word true.
 Paderic
Msg: 244
Posted: 6/12/2012 5:21:55 PM
Do you believe in Darwin's theory's? Do you believe they hold up to blind study or statistical analysis? if so, why do so many schools try to ban evolution from being taught.

I don't believe his theories have been proven.

I don't think you are a scientist. I think you just like parroting back what you've heard without giving it real thought of your own.

Again with the personal attacks? You don't have a counter argument, so you impugn those that are skeptical of what you say.

Instead, why not try to explain the basis of how these formations of celestial bodies affect human affairs? Why not try to present a plausible explanation of some of astrology's claims?

Why do you folks all spout off like you are trained scientists when in fact none of you have a clue of what real science is all about.

I would ask why you spout off like a trained scientist, but you don't. Your reliance on personal attacks and petty insults is far from scientific.

And please: how do you KNOW it hasn't been defended in any kind of blind study. The fact is that Michel Gauguelin's research from 1955 showed positive correlations between planet positions and success in certain fields. A blind study.

I know what I have read in numerous independent sources.

From what I've gathered, he set out to prove astrology and his work has come under significant criticism. Also, his work did not substantiate traditional astrology.

I think I can say with compete accuracy that you are just blowing smoke. You don't know what you are talking about, haven't done a study of the subject, are giving a knew jerk reaction based on hearsay evidence and that you yourself have not done an ounce of original research on the topic. So why waste everyone's time?

I can say with complete accuracy that you are grasping at straws. I don't see a whole lot of evidence coming from your side other than a few trite quotes and one shaky reference.

Correlation does not prove causation...

Btw, I have no problem with people not believing in astrology. Believe what you want. What I do object to is trying to justify that believe with a lack of understanding about the subject, science, or the scientific method.

When you hold yourself to the same standard, your credibility might become non zero.
 _shakti_
Msg: 245
Posted: 6/12/2012 5:50:27 PM
I love astrology, always have. I take it into consideration with almost everything, not just dating. Probably because I am very drawn to symbolism and tend to just naturally think that way. I have also taken courses on it, there is much more to it than mere sun sign stuff.

I have certain signs that typically work best for me and others that generally do not. But I don't make choices based on that info, it's more of a FYI at the back of my mind kinda thing.
 larissan04
Msg: 246
Posted: 6/12/2012 6:09:54 PM
Capn America~

Personally, I don't care much what other people believe. I am content to come to my own conclusions, keep my own counsel, and change my opinions accordingly when new information forces me to re-think something. I happy to debate the rightness, wrongness, or incorrectness of ideologies, but I don't find differing views to be offensive, nor do I engage in ad hominems. In other words, I don't think that people that disagree with me are stupid. That being said, my question to you is why do you feel the need to thumb your nose at others who believe in something you do not? Honestly, what does it matter? If we are going to share anecdotes, I can also state that of the thousands of people that I have known in my life, all of them pretty much fit the mold when it comes to their charts. That's just my personal observation; an anecdote for an anecdote.

Now the problem I have with astrology is that there is a component to it that implies fatalism. I don't believe in fatalism, and I believe that a person is responsible for his own condition in life. I also believe that people have free will to a certain extent, and I often think many things happen for no good reason at all - chance and luck, which are coincidentally, both outside of human control.

Although I consider myself to be a logical person, I have experienced and seen too many odd things in my life that it makes it difficult for me to so easily dismiss the idea that there is a greater force then ourselves at work sometimes. I've seen things and experienced things in life that defied a scientific explanation, and I am comfortable with the fact that these experiences defy explanation. And no, I don't do drugs or even follow any religion.
 Capn_America
Msg: 247
Posted: 6/13/2012 6:44:47 AM
In other words, I don't think that people that disagree with me are stupid

Now THAT is wisdom right there. I`m the same way. However, I can`t stand people who argue and coutner argue with empty arguments over and over again in the hopes of magically getting someone to say "Oh, your right!" like some other posters on here. Everyone is indeed entitled to their opinion,no matter how stupid, right, wrong, idiotic or enlightenned it is. Cool

why do you feel the need to thumb your nose at others who believe in something you do not

Like I said, I don`t. I like it rather in a hobby like fashion. People that say you can use it to divine future and you should live your life accordingly, and in the same breath say I can divine your future for a monthly 100, tend to make me sick to my stomach.....................

I don't believe in fatalism, and I believe that a person is responsible for his own condition in life

LOL I dunno what I believe. Used to be a big believer in God, wanted to go religious, but...I dunno. My scientific mind wrastles with my soul on the subjectc

I have experienced and seen too many odd things in my life that it makes it difficult for me to so easily dismiss the idea that there is a greater force then ourselves at work sometimes

The same. But I have a problem with people who proffess "the truth". Other posters here will recognize themselves in this, but I`m not referring to you. You been cool this whole thread If I come off mean, it`s just cos I`m a mean ****** and no real insult is intended. How did Jessica Rabbit say? I`m not Bad, I`m just drawn that way

I've seen things and experienced things in life that defied a scientific explanation

HAHA, I could tell you quite a few myself. But do they REALLY defy explanation? Remains to be seen. Suffice it to say, if magical or unusual powers DID exist, in any form, one would think James Randi would have given away the million a LONG time ago....

science, or the scientific method

Dang it MAN! It`s NOT SCIENCE! It`s Esoterism! Just go to your local library! Hell, look up the DICTIONNARY!
 CTRLvector
Msg: 248
Posted: 2/13/2015 3:35:42 AM
I think its a bunch of paranormal nonsense, simply believing in something produces an affect. If you believe in a system that favors a certain option then it will give you a placebo like effect and you will be more open to that option.

Or you could just take everyone as they are and skip the nonsense.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 249
Posted: 2/13/2015 5:33:26 AM
Yeah I am a Leo and im completely out of my mind - work your voodoo on that
 Ainen
Msg: 250
Posted: 2/13/2015 5:54:40 AM

According to a science study the horoscopes do determine your personality. For example scientists found out that depending on the season you were born in, you display certain personality traits. They studied people born in winter (november) which is a saggitaurus sign and they found out that the personality traits were similar to those displayed my most saggittaurians

What about Australians born in November? It's warm for them.

In addition, the personality claims shift dramatically if you're born on the last day of one sign versus the first day of the next sign.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 251
Posted: 2/13/2015 8:10:41 AM

I think its a bunch of paranormal nonsense, simply believing in something produces an affect. If you believe in a system that favors a certain option then it will give you a placebo like effect and you will be more open to that option.

Interesting. If you believe what you wrote about the placebo effect, then how can you believe astrology is nonsense? In the example you gave, if the individual believes, then astrology IS impacting their behavior. At a non-personal level, Astrology has been practiced and 'believed' for thousands of years, by billions of people, across the entire globe. Imagine the Placebo Effect that creates. Further, modern research into the Placebo Effect shows the effect can occur even when the participant KNOWS they're receiving the placebo. IOW, astrology can effect people who don't believe in astrology and don't even believe it can.

@sexysoph

The moon sign is 50% of your personality and the sun sign is the other 50%.

Not even close to accurate. The Ascendant is considered the most, or second most, important factor in first impressions. There are a few more other planets (and asteroids in some schools of astrology), elements, aspects, and houses.
 CTRLvector
Msg: 252
Posted: 2/13/2015 8:13:31 AM
Im saying your mind is perfectly capable of playing tricks on you, people are perfectly capable of seeing connections when they are so willed to. If you believe in something, then its going to impact your life. Because you will have confidence in mind that your life changes under those circumstances - its a placebo effect, created by junkscience.
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 253
Posted: 2/13/2015 8:26:30 AM
The Placebo Effect is or is not. It occurs or does not occur. It is not "created" by junkscience, pseudo science, or real science. It isn't created by "science" at all. Its' effects, its' outcomes, may be 'observed', 'documented', or 'analyzed' by science or soothsayers or little Sally sitting in 8th grade science class. Understanding cause and effect will assist in your participation in this thread.

Im saying your mind is perfectly capable of playing tricks on you, ...

You have the flu. The doctor gives you a sugar pill and says it will make you well within 24 hours. Next day you are well. Is that a "trick"? The problem to be solved was getting well. Since the sugar pill didn't do it, and your mind did, does that somehow make it junkscience? Why does Big Pharma deserve the title of "science" but your own mind and body producing exactly the same effect are somehow non-science?
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 254
Posted: 2/13/2015 8:39:44 AM
CynthiaSM, I completely agree with you. I've been a hobby astrologer since before I was a teen. I'm tired of arguing with people who have no idea about astrology, since they only seem to know the silly newspaper sun sign horoscopes. I've seen it "work" many times. And it's not about impacting behavior either. There were periods in my life when I did not deal with astrology because I was too focused on other things and too busy. Then, starting in 2011 , a lot of really bad and/or weird things happened to me (my marriage was about to end, my aunt and sister died of cancer, I started getting involved with a much younger guy). So I looked at my birth chart and the transits and voila - it suddenly made sense. I had Saturn in transiting my 12th house, Uranus just crossed into my 5th house. That explained why all these things were happening to me. I have since paid a lot more attention to the transits again and so far, I have to say, spot on.

As far as the Ascendant goes, yes, it is how other people see you, but it is not the real you. I'm a Scorpio rising, and even as a teenager men found me "fascinating' or "sexy', when I myself felt rather dorky or plain. My moon is in Capricorn, squared by Saturn, so a double whammy, and I do feel very isolated and lonely sometimes, even when surrounded by people. I also come across as "cold" or indifferent when I'm really not. I also have an explosive temper (Mars in Aries - watch out lol). I love looking at the charts of people I date and get excited when I see good aspects between our charts, but many times, my heart sank when I noticed some "bad" natal placements and incompatible aspects between our charts.
 TrustInKarma
Msg: 255
Posted: 2/13/2015 8:54:38 AM
As far as my potential mate, I had a professional astrologer describe him to me. She has been spot on about several things in the past, to the actual day even, and knowing what she told me has put me at ease about dating.

So far, the man I've had the most "electrifying" connection with, was this young former model I met back in 2012. He was an Aquarius just like me, both his and my Venus were also in Aquarius - our Venus and Suns were conjuncts, one big cluster lol. No wonder we connected amazingly well. He also told me that he had not had a connection like that with someone before. My Mars was conjunct his Moon in Aries, and boy, did I (unintentionally) push this guy's buttons. He exploded a few times because of things I did. He was also Aries rising, and I have my Mars in Aries in my fifth house so I'm very attracted to Aries-types (athletic, confident men, or men in the military, after all, Aries is the God of war).

Astrology also explains the "spark" that you have with some people. If you have certain synastry aspects, you will feel the ehemistry (or rather, energy) between you and the other person. The guy I talked about above and I had a ton of aspects, of course, not all of them good, but even the "bad" ones cause some kind of reaction in the other person, they don't leave you "cold". We have a lot of NEptune and Uranus aspects, and I think the Neptune ones even explained some sort of telepathic communication we seemed to have. For instance, after a fight when we hadn't talked for days, I would think about him and just focus on him, and I picked up my phone to text him. The second I started to text, my phone rang and it was him, before I had even written or sent the text. That was weird. Also, when he was deployed, I would lay in bed and just think about him so intently, and he later told me that he did the same, at the exact same time, only he was awake because of the time difference. After we had broken up for good, and weren't talking anymore at all, I'd still think about him. He would just pop into my mind out of the blue. And sure enough, he had looked at my profile online. Sure, some say it was all coincidence, but I really felt like it was more than just that. I'm still convinced that he will be back in my life at some point, even though it's been over a year since we broke up.
 daynadaze
Msg: 256
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2015 12:45:21 PM

According to a science study the horoscopes do determine your personality. For example scientists found out that depending on the season you were born in, you display certain personality traits. They studied people born in winter (november) which is a saggitaurus sign and they found out that the personality traits were similar to those displayed my most saggittaurians.

Could you cite your sourced, what scientists & what study? That would be interesting to read.

Winter doesn't start in November, it starts in the third week of December, so how are November babies Winter babies?
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >