Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 13
view profile
History
coffee & cigarettes VS no coffee & cigsPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

Then, it can be quite difficult to get your hands in there so... Rinse, put soapy water in the pot and a brush or pad or whatever use a knife or something to move the brush around to clean the bottom and sides of it. Then empty and rinse again.
Trick I learned working in a bar... couple of tablespoons of salt, handful of pennies, cup of hot water, swish around so that the pennies and salt clean the inside of the carafe, empty, rinse and voila... a clean pot without the possibility of soap in the next pot of coffee...
 carterscutie85
Msg: 14
coffee & cigarettes VS no coffee & cigs
Posted: 1/10/2010 3:14:34 PM
I think that you guys are a team and should work together to keep your work area clean. When I worked retail and I had to clean up after some of my co-workers by cleaning the break room, restrooms, taking out the trash, etc. I did not complain because I understood that as part of a family of workers we all need to take turns to ensure a clean work environment regardless of who made the mess.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/10/2010 4:13:07 PM

Sounds like a cool trick but quite disgusting as well; considering the fact that money is one of the dirtiest (most germs) thing there is out there.

Well if you are not the one drinking the coffee it would matter even less.
 barbee1970
Msg: 17
Posted: 1/10/2010 4:17:00 PM
People should clean up their own mugs/dishes. You are not their mother!

I am totally a coffee drinker and yes will drink it if readily available. I clean out my cups after I finish. I really don't like for someone to clean up after me.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 19
Posted: 1/10/2010 6:31:11 PM
Use Baking Soda The cheap stuff, 99 cent for a box.
Cleans coffee and tea stains instantly. Revoves the foul smells too.

(Also cleans your teeth, the taste takes some getting used to, but it is cheap, harmless and available everywhere.
Everyone should have the decency to clean after themselves. Put a box of soda by the sink, with a sign that says "USE IT" for your cup. They might try it...

GeneralizingNow
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/10/2010 6:45:18 PM
I work in a small office where 1/2 the people go out for smoke breaks regularly

I believe there is also the FACT that smoking kills your brain cells at an alarmingly high rate compared to just breathing, you know, stuff like, um, AIR. And increases blood pressure, which then fools your body into thinking it's angry all the time (affects moods negatively).

=================
Nope, OP has said nothing negative about smokers: I have, though. I have nothing positive to say about smokers, either, not one thing. You are all self-centered litterbugs who, if you smoke a pack a day (that's 20 cigs, 4 minutes per cig) and smoke half a pack at work [since I assume you sleep 8 hours and are not smoking while you sleep] then take 40 minutes worth of breaks JUST smoking and that DOESN'T include the walking out to the smoking area and the going to get coffee which makes it more like 50-60 minutes PER DAY of "smoke breaks", well, YOU do the math.
===============
Smoking one cigarette increases coronary vascular resistance and decreases coronary flow velocity. Cigarette smokers have 2-3 times more risk to develop stroke than non-smokers. Smoking increases fibrinogen and factor VII that leads to progression of atherosclerosis and acute thrombosis due to thrombogensis. Cigarette smoke contains 2-6% carbon monoxide (CO), which can cause hypoxia. The high oxygen extraction ratio of the myocardium makes it more sensitive to the hypoxia. Smoking is the major cause of bronchogenic carcinoma, it exposes the bronchial epithelium to oxygen free radicals (OFR). Smoking 20 cigarettes a day results in tissue hypoxia for most of each day. 30 minutes after smoking one cigarette, there is a mean decline in subcutaneous oxygen tension of 32%. Smokers can have raised carboxyhaemoglobin levels for up to 4 hours after smoking, causing false pulse oximeter readings.

=================

I have probably seen more people just waste more time blabbing on the phone or yakking/gossiping to their neighbours.

Different issue that does nothing to "prove" smoking and excessive smoke breaks are okay. Way to derail. If I had any friends, I'd whine to them about you.
 nipoleon
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 1/10/2010 6:52:23 PM
I've always been amazed at how adult humans need a parent figure around to tell them to do the most basic of responsible duties.

Clean up after yourselves !
Don't leave your messes for someone else to pick up !

Actually, there is a very simple solution to this problem which management could have thought of.

Spend $2 and buy a stack of paper coffee cups once a week which are easily thrown away after use.
Then declare, it's no ones responsibility to clean any ceramic cups except the user.
Anyone who wants to make coffee in the dirty, crusty coffee pot is welcome to, or they can clean it if they want. Non-coffee drinkers are not responsible for cleaning coffee pots.

Within a week, all the ceramic cups will be dirty and sitting on the counter and everyone will be using only the paper cups.
 kissmyasthma
Msg: 22
Posted: 1/10/2010 6:59:57 PM
PS--I hate smokers for SO MANY reasons, but the fact that they are 35-hour-a-week workers is one biggie that you'd THINK capitalists would crack down on

I was going to jump on this too. Very rarely have I seen to may workplaces that just let people walk out and smoke when they feel like it.
I have probably seen more people just waste more time blabbing on the phone or yakking/gossiping to their neighbours.
I think cassago is just put off and jealous that she has no friends or something.
Maybe nobady wants to sit with her in the lunchroom and she is using this thread as a way to lash out her frustraions for feeling left out of a group.

I would draw the line at having to clean the toilet but as far cleaning a coffee pot, pfft that's a minor annoyance. Have the office set a take turns kind of thing or bring it up at the next staff meeting.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 25
Posted: 1/11/2010 5:36:33 AM
Do you truly not have anything better to worry about?
That sounds like a very petty immature gripe.
The world isnt fair. You haewnt figured that out at your age?
Wh0 cares? Your post probably took longer to type than cleaning out a coffe pot would.
And as for smoking breaks, do you not take breaks to pee? Eat? Relax?
What people do on their break is their business.
 shmodzilla
Msg: 26
Posted: 1/11/2010 11:59:49 AM
It's no a immaturte gripe to not want to have to clean up after other adults friggin messes. It takes all of 2 seconds to clean up a mess if you make it. There would be no issue if they did.
 Vancer
Msg: 29
Posted: 1/12/2010 2:03:04 AM
I clean the coffee pot at work, even though I don't drink the coffee there.
It's a routine that I have gotten used to, so I kind of enjoy it as a predictable and easy part of my day.
I'll take OPs job, if she doesn't want it.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 5:04:28 AM
My sister had a ingenious way of upsetting my mom durring dish washing, she made noise, clanked glasses and banged pots and would usually break something...this would drive my mom nuts(sorry ms. palin). She would run my sister off until my other sister ratted her out to mom.

so I would make a mess and...Opps i didnt mean to break your favorite mug...

Has anyone seen my mug?...check the bottom of the trash bin...

and my clean my not be up to everyones standard. do you know what it looks like to see half wiped coffee stains off the bottom of a white mug...yuck.
 OMG!WTF!
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 6:29:26 AM

The smoking doesnt take hours outa my day

...just hours outa your life.

I'd be mad too if I had to deal with other people's mess. Who's down with OPM? Not this homey. But I'm sure the op drinks something during the day. Feel free to leave your water glass with a slutty lipstick smear wherever you want then. Or start drinking tea. Leave a big wad of honey in the bottom. Bring your kids' sippy cups from home on your "off" days. Those always look a little gruesome to me and I'm sure someone in your office will have a legitimate, diagnosed phobia of them. Then you're clear to hire your own phobiocentric shrink to vouch for your reoccuring coffee pot nighmares. Or just start in on those Popeye candy cigs and leave the ends thoroughly sucked and stuck to a plate in the common room. Gum! That'll match the gross factor of cigarettes if you stick it to the edge of an ash tray and it'll help you stop grinding your teeth when it's your turn to clean. It'll give the urinal cleaners a break too. Just be glad you don't have that job.

Remember, anti-smoking is taken straight from the Nazi handbook written by Hitler, so if you advocate its usage you are acting like a Nazi

The Nazi's didn't allow smoking? Now non smokers are all Nazi's? I guess you're right. I'm a citizen beyond military age and I don't own a gun. I have no secret monitary holdings. I'm not married to anyone of dodgey ancestry. My car is less than five years old. My grandpa is German. F'ck...I am a Nazi.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/27/2010 7:24:39 AM
One more vote against blanket rules. The people who make those kinds of stupid rules are usually the ones that benefit from them. I would hope that in a situation like that one of the coffee drinkers would have the class to say, "They shouldn't be cleaning up after us, we should."

Oh, and the suggestion for putting pennies in the carafe to clean it? YUCK!
Kosher salt, lemon wedges, ice cubes, a little water, swirl.
 QUIET WHISPERS
Msg: 35
Posted: 4/20/2010 4:24:29 AM
update- op here- left the site & then came back...

one of the bosses quit smoking 6 mos ago...we recently lost some clientele & are downsizing....one of the bosses bought coffee & supplies from a warehouse store...it was gone in a week- she got annoyed & said if they want coffee all day long, they were going to have to supply it themselves...

there was sooo much in & out w/ smokers that the boss who quit said no more, no company allows this, 2 15 min breaks a day plus lunch deal w/ it....our hours got cut too...

also all the yakking was addressed...after 3 years I was finally complimented on my work ethic. Well too little too late- I'm looking for a new job

Even in this economy, I've seen people come & go in many offices. A few are good, most are dogs w/ their work ethic & intellect

I feel like Melanie Griffith in "Working Girl"- all I need now is Harrison Ford
 QUIET WHISPERS
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/1/2010 3:30:31 PM
*****This, to me, is indicative of more serious underlying issues.*****
some real dysfunctional sh!t going on...now some clientele is leaving- I just printed up my resume & posted it on the net too, & emailed a few leads..

the exiting clientele is going to need an employee to fill the vacant slot

it's much cheaper to pay an employee than a company, who has to make a profit on their services...eliminate the middleman & they can hire me instead

when people pull crap, it eventually comes back to them- my prediction, by next year they'll be in the toilet- in 3 years they'll be out of business

a poorly run company cannot go very far
 Got Trance
Msg: 37
Posted: 5/1/2010 5:10:40 PM

My sister had a ingenious way of upsetting my mom durring dish washing, she made noise, clanked glasses and banged pots and would usually break something...this would drive my mom nuts

I have to agree with SAguy on this one.
I have done the above myself. Do a terrible job.
It is an easy and effective way to be told you will no longer have to do that particular job again.
 ALMOSTABLONDE
Msg: 39
Posted: 10/24/2010 8:52:17 AM
ok, 2 of the smokers/coffee drinkers quit...one was found to be a huge slacker, & when confronted, walked out...then more work was assigned to us-it was divied up from the walker...well another smoker/coffee drinker who had the lightest workload didn't wanna deal, so they gave a week's notice...the dynamics changed...

i put out a few feelers w/ other jobs, one place that a friend of a friend works for called me regarding an email resume i sent them, said i was overqualified for current position they had, but wanted to keep my resume on file for a different dept.

another place contacted me, and the phone dialogue was horrid- a real psycho...

another smoker will be leaving soon due to relocation...

now one of my bosses started being nice to me...i still have to deal w/ coffee, but i suck it up now...it is getting less clique-ish

i am still open to something else only if it is better than what i have now...

the non smoker/coffee drinkers seem to be more productive...there was a staff meeting where these issues were addressed...i am optomistic
 daynadaze
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2010 12:50:14 PM
I use to work in a factory that employed someone to clean up after all of us in the two bathrooms/breakrooms and the cafeteria. She was lazy, she spent most her time walking around talking to people, and she was the plant's biggest gossip. Pretty good job, not sure how she managed to talk the bosses into creating this job for her, she'd been one of us on the lines before. Anyway, I went to the bathroom one day and there she was washing the glass plate part from the breakroom microwave in the toilet, she said it saved time and she was using the cleaner she used to scrub the toilets so she was saving the company money in the long run. Okay. After that, I found cleaning up after myself was the safest way to be sure I wasn't using something washed in the toilet! And no the bosses didn't think it was an issue and no she wasn't fired for doing it.

Point of my story, clean your own coffee mugs/pots and wonder about putting your lunch in the microwave.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/25/2010 11:16:34 AM
Me personally, I drink coffee (although usually decaf) several times a day. Never have been able to become an habitual smoker (probably luckily, all things considered) due to having been born with bad asthma. So even "second-hand" used to screw me up pretty badly (until they basically have made my life a lot easier here in IL by outlawing it in almost any public place today; haven't even smelled it in ages). BUT....had I not had asthma....yes I probably would certainly have been (or still be) a smoker myself in all honesty.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/25/2010 12:21:41 PM
True. And actually they're often MORE than that, in the big US cities. NYC for example, I think is one of the highest if not the highest. Close to $11 / pack. And here in Chicago (at least within Chicago proper -- city limits) it's not very far behind, about 9 to 10/pack. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6740342

http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/business-news-briefs/2010/06/a_new_york_city_pack_of_cigare.html

So if you're a pack a day smoker in NYC or Chicago.......... well, do the math...

To top it off, you pay all that for a product you literally can now only use in very few places by law (your car, your home, or at least 20 feet away from any building's entrance or exit) or risk a ticket (and yes here in Chicago they actually do give out those kinds of tickets). I believe NYC has the same kind of anti-smoking laws in place as well.

The smoker-friendly world of Bogey or James Dean or anyone else like that is definitely a thing of the past. It's like this in much of western Europe today as well (Spain being the most recent, and I think the last, to enact it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/20/smoking-ban-in-spain-last_n_769571.html). I would think Canada also but I'm not sure.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:55:27 PM

mmm hmmm, and is this a necessarily a good or a bad thang?

I'm not really sure. I guess it depends. For me personally, it's been a good thing because of my medical condition (asthma) and the difficulties which smoke-filled public places always brought me. Now I can go to those places and literally breathe freely while all smokers have to go outside. But I can understand where the other side's coming from too. I never asked or petitioned for such a law to be passed (in fact Illinois was relatively late in passing it amongst other states who did). However, personally for me it's been a good thing.

I can see what you mean though. There are many worse things to think about or concentrate on eradicating. But...... I guess it just "is what it is", as they say. For whatever constellation of reasons , making much of the Western world less smoker-friendly seems to be one of the ongoing trends of the times. I don't expect it to ever reverse, frankly.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:46:41 PM
I left the job...they lost clientele, plus I heard another staff member walked out on them...yes, I am the OP

i am sure they r still smoking like chimneys & sucking down cups of coffee
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:26:09 PM
Poor management. Rather than confront individuals for their short comings, they disperse the "blame" and responsibility across the whole group. This just make the best people angry and these people will leave if they are able, leaving a higher concentration of slackers.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:41:41 PM
i wouldn't even venture to guess...
it is something i'd rather just put behind me...
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >