Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Got Trance
Msg: 37
coffee & cigarettes VS no coffee & cigsPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

My sister had a ingenious way of upsetting my mom durring dish washing, she made noise, clanked glasses and banged pots and would usually break something...this would drive my mom nuts

I have to agree with SAguy on this one.
I have done the above myself. Do a terrible job.
It is an easy and effective way to be told you will no longer have to do that particular job again.
 ALMOSTABLONDE
Msg: 39
coffee & cigarettes VS no coffee & cigs
Posted: 10/24/2010 8:52:17 AM
ok, 2 of the smokers/coffee drinkers quit...one was found to be a huge slacker, & when confronted, walked out...then more work was assigned to us-it was divied up from the walker...well another smoker/coffee drinker who had the lightest workload didn't wanna deal, so they gave a week's notice...the dynamics changed...

i put out a few feelers w/ other jobs, one place that a friend of a friend works for called me regarding an email resume i sent them, said i was overqualified for current position they had, but wanted to keep my resume on file for a different dept.

another place contacted me, and the phone dialogue was horrid- a real psycho...

another smoker will be leaving soon due to relocation...

now one of my bosses started being nice to me...i still have to deal w/ coffee, but i suck it up now...it is getting less clique-ish

i am still open to something else only if it is better than what i have now...

the non smoker/coffee drinkers seem to be more productive...there was a staff meeting where these issues were addressed...i am optomistic
 daynadaze
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 10/24/2010 12:50:14 PM
I use to work in a factory that employed someone to clean up after all of us in the two bathrooms/breakrooms and the cafeteria. She was lazy, she spent most her time walking around talking to people, and she was the plant's biggest gossip. Pretty good job, not sure how she managed to talk the bosses into creating this job for her, she'd been one of us on the lines before. Anyway, I went to the bathroom one day and there she was washing the glass plate part from the breakroom microwave in the toilet, she said it saved time and she was using the cleaner she used to scrub the toilets so she was saving the company money in the long run. Okay. After that, I found cleaning up after myself was the safest way to be sure I wasn't using something washed in the toilet! And no the bosses didn't think it was an issue and no she wasn't fired for doing it.

Point of my story, clean your own coffee mugs/pots and wonder about putting your lunch in the microwave.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 41
Posted: 10/25/2010 11:16:34 AM
Me personally, I drink coffee (although usually decaf) several times a day. Never have been able to become an habitual smoker (probably luckily, all things considered) due to having been born with bad asthma. So even "second-hand" used to screw me up pretty badly (until they basically have made my life a lot easier here in IL by outlawing it in almost any public place today; haven't even smelled it in ages). BUT....had I not had asthma....yes I probably would certainly have been (or still be) a smoker myself in all honesty.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 42
Posted: 10/25/2010 12:21:41 PM
True. And actually they're often MORE than that, in the big US cities. NYC for example, I think is one of the highest if not the highest. Close to $11 / pack. And here in Chicago (at least within Chicago proper -- city limits) it's not very far behind, about 9 to 10/pack. http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=news/local&id=6740342

http://www.publicradio.org/columns/marketplace/business-news-briefs/2010/06/a_new_york_city_pack_of_cigare.html

So if you're a pack a day smoker in NYC or Chicago.......... well, do the math...

To top it off, you pay all that for a product you literally can now only use in very few places by law (your car, your home, or at least 20 feet away from any building's entrance or exit) or risk a ticket (and yes here in Chicago they actually do give out those kinds of tickets). I believe NYC has the same kind of anti-smoking laws in place as well.

The smoker-friendly world of Bogey or James Dean or anyone else like that is definitely a thing of the past. It's like this in much of western Europe today as well (Spain being the most recent, and I think the last, to enact it. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/10/20/smoking-ban-in-spain-last_n_769571.html). I would think Canada also but I'm not sure.
 xxxDINOxxx
Msg: 43
Posted: 10/28/2010 7:55:27 PM

mmm hmmm, and is this a necessarily a good or a bad thang?

I'm not really sure. I guess it depends. For me personally, it's been a good thing because of my medical condition (asthma) and the difficulties which smoke-filled public places always brought me. Now I can go to those places and literally breathe freely while all smokers have to go outside. But I can understand where the other side's coming from too. I never asked or petitioned for such a law to be passed (in fact Illinois was relatively late in passing it amongst other states who did). However, personally for me it's been a good thing.

I can see what you mean though. There are many worse things to think about or concentrate on eradicating. But...... I guess it just "is what it is", as they say. For whatever constellation of reasons , making much of the Western world less smoker-friendly seems to be one of the ongoing trends of the times. I don't expect it to ever reverse, frankly.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 44
Posted: 1/1/2012 1:46:41 PM
I left the job...they lost clientele, plus I heard another staff member walked out on them...yes, I am the OP

i am sure they r still smoking like chimneys & sucking down cups of coffee
 dmzvisitor
Msg: 45
Posted: 1/1/2012 3:26:09 PM
Poor management. Rather than confront individuals for their short comings, they disperse the "blame" and responsibility across the whole group. This just make the best people angry and these people will leave if they are able, leaving a higher concentration of slackers.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 46
Posted: 1/1/2012 4:41:41 PM
i wouldn't even venture to guess...
it is something i'd rather just put behind me...
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >