Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 free_pizza
Msg: 19
Is this common?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
This may sound contradictory but it's not.

I don't believe in adding someone that I've just started dating to my FB account. That's too much too soon for someone that I really don't know that well yet. And you don't know what kind of weird stuff she may post for all of your friends to see -- and that you might have to explain for a while after she is long gone.

But for someone that I met on the internet and am seriously considering whether to see for a meet/date, I have suggested that we TEMPORARILY add each other as FB friends to get to know a little more and confirm that we are both who we say we are. As long as you both understand that you will delete her after a half hour or so, no real harm can be done and it may be a useful tool for the both of you.

There are definitely two sides to this issue.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Is this common?
Posted: 1/14/2010 8:43:32 PM
It always cracks me up when people ask me for a face book or my space addy. I don't have either. I don't need them to keep in touch with friends/family. What would she do if you don't have one of those sites?

Maybe she plans on cyber-stalking you, or is really not interested but wants to play along? Who knows, but if you don't want to add her to your site, don't and move on. It's not that big of a deal.

What did people do before face book or my space?
 867love
Msg: 29
Is this common?
Posted: 1/15/2010 11:47:45 AM
why would you put personal info on these sites? -if you google your pof screen name a bunch of unbelievable information about you pops up already.
so i'd say might as well go for it!

-the psycho ones are the wildest in the bedroom...
 justme1201
Msg: 30
Is this common?
Posted: 1/15/2010 1:17:05 PM

why would you put personal info on these sites? -if you google your pof screen name a bunch of unbelievable information about you pops up already.

It does? Nothing comes up when I Google my POF name, other than my profile here, which is no secret. For that matter, nothing of concern comes up when I Google my real name, either.

I wouldn't give a complete stranger access to my Facebook. I keep it private for a reason.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 33
Is this common?
Posted: 1/15/2010 2:12:48 PM

too much personal information is there - pictures of my kid, my last name,

This is why I don't put my last name on my facebook account! I also didn't put it on my Yahoo instant messenger account because if you do, when you add someone, your real name can show up if you are not careful.

I had a request to add a man with whom I had been talking to on Yahoo for several days. He had asked my name and I wouldn't tell him. When I added him, he crowed, "Now I will find out your last name!"

No, he didn't. He got "Wanderer," which is not even close to my surname.

People who need to know my last name, know it.
 karma1160
Msg: 34
Is this common?
Posted: 1/15/2010 3:16:41 PM
I feel exactly like you do, if a person is your freind they can get your personal identification items.
I communicate with only family on face book.
She could start a yahoo or hotmail without giving her personal account info.
Whats wrong with this venue?
Maybe she doesn't want you to know when she logs in, because people have kept track of her in the past?
 MsMicki
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Is this common?
Posted: 1/15/2010 4:58:37 PM
I have allow friends and family as friends on Facebook.

If I added every guy I talk to on here....I'd have hundreds of friends!!!
No thanx! Don't need any man I don't know personally... knowing what I do day to day.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 42
view profile
History
Is this common?
Posted: 1/15/2010 8:07:10 PM
If she's your age, it is retarded. But, people have their various quirks about communication. I use my e-mail for business and I still get tons of junk mail even with the filters so I prefer to e-mail here, less likely that I will intend to open an e-mail later and then it gets pushed far enough down into the queue that I inadvertently don't return it.

But, that is apparently off-putting to some, I figure if we can't manage to agree on a way to communicate, probably not worth worrying about because there are likely many other areas of incompatibility.

Do you really care if a chick that would actually cross you off as a potential for not communicating on Facebook is going to be a huge loss in your life?

Valid point there... so there's a good school of thought on that subject. Personally I feel comfortable getting to know someone a little bit first via email/instant messenger before meeting as it would give me some good clues on what kind of conversation topics to discuss, which place to make reservations at (i.e. She prefers Italian over Asian food, so... Gavi) etc. I'll be able to see what I'm doing a bit instead of taking random potshots in the dark, you know?

I agree, hitting the phone or meeting when I know nothing about someone is too much like cold calling in sales but for some people, that is too much wasted time. You gotta wonder if some people have just adopted the mindset of the terminally ill. When someone is in that big a hurry, seems to me that they are way too invested in finding the next person in their life and will be apt to hook up with anyone they are talking to regardless of having anything in common, etc.
 english lass
Msg: 50
Is this common?
Posted: 6/20/2010 11:06:09 AM
Sometimes people reveal quite a bit about themselves on their profiles, it can be a good way to get to know more about who they really are when they're not on 'best firstgettoknowyou behaviour'
 Big_fun_wave
Msg: 52
Is this common?
Posted: 9/4/2010 6:34:29 PM
Yeah, I can relate to your logic about fb and my space being more for friends, or perhaps better put "established friends". She sounds somewhat immature and indecisive. When she stated she wanted to annalyze your personality via ms, to me that's a red flag of a chicken$hit game player! Unfortunately, I've encountered bs like this also. If everyone stood pat to these morons and did not let them have their way by playing along with them, they would actually need to be real and meet others if they were serious about making new friends.
 abelian
Msg: 55
Is this common?
Posted: 9/7/2010 11:09:19 AM
She's trying to find out enough about you to find out who you are for a reason known only to her. Don't bite. Drop her.

I think she wants your facebook so she coould "check you out" so to speak. You can learn alot about people by browsing thru their page.

Yeah - like enough to pull public records and find out just about everything about a person's life. A lot of people put enough information in their pof profiles to do that.

Penda3
Msg: 56
Is this common?
Posted: 9/10/2010 9:05:45 AM
She wants 2 creep your facebook, don't let her. no good can come out of this. if she's already interested she's not going to creep your facebook and say "omg he's so much better now!" in relationships most girls look for reasons to cause drama. she'll be looking at what ladies write on your wall, who you've dated, looking at your status etc. i personally delete all wall posts of girls flirting, all pictures of me being close with girls. even family because she might not know that's my sister i'm hugging. trust me too many girls assume i'll tell her something like "i'm not giving you my facebook... i don't want you asking me why i'm hugging that girl? and it turns out to be my sister :p" i make sure she thinks i'm joking. of course she'll say something like "i'm not that kind of girl" i respond with "i'm sure you're not" if she still insists i'll make an exception so she doesn't think i'm hiding anything, because of course my facebook is already proofed so there can be no miss understandings
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  >