Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How do you feel about 'retouched' photos? (AKA. Photoshoped profile p      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 BrockLee74
Msg: 51
How do you feel about 'retouched' photos? (AKA. Photoshoped profile pics!!)Page 3 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)

I have to agree with this statement. Photoshop is part of the Adobe Creative Suite which is used (mainly) for artistic, commercial, and education purposes. I don't think tweaking pictures and placing them on a dating profile to "look" good in pictures only to see someone's hopes die slowly inside them as they see you in the flesh is a good idea.

Yes this is true, but it is also by far the best photo enhancement program out there. Chuck in a badly washed out picture sometime and go auto color and auto level it. Amazing stuff! I started using Photoshop to reverse engineer old graphics. One time for the hell of it I dropped in a scanned image from a 1970's photo taken on 110 film. Those 2 processes made them look like they were developed by totally different people. Digital cameras are not perfect. I don't see the problem with color correcting. Again, the problem comes with "touchups". I see lots of work done on wrinkles in profiles. That isn't right.
 a_Libra_rising
Msg: 52
How do you feel about 'retouched' photos? (AKA. Photoshoped profile pics!!)
Posted: 4/9/2012 1:53:20 PM

Yes this is true, but it is also by far the best photo enhancement program out there. Chuck in a badly washed out picture sometime and go auto color and auto level it. Amazing stuff! I started using Photoshop to reverse engineer old graphics. One time for the hell of it I dropped in a scanned image from a 1970's photo taken on 110 film. Those 2 processes made them look like they were developed by totally different people. Digital cameras are not perfect. I don't see the problem with color correcting. Again, the problem comes with "touchups". I see lots of work done on wrinkles in profiles. That isn't right.

I don't mind color correcting too much. A lot of smartphones have picture filters which alters the colors in pictures (like instagram, hisptamatic, retro camera to name a few) and people post those pics up. Those pictures obviously show "unnatural" colors but it's mostly viewed as something fun, silly, artsy ,etc. People know to not take those pictures seriously.

It appears that the people who express disdain for photo tweaking (and me too) aim at those who use image editors for corrections that are on the face and body. We all know that's done to manipulate what a person looks like. We didn't place pictures up in a profile to be on the front cover Glamour or GQ. What is the point of airbrushing? You got zits? Don't take pictures of yourself that day, week, month! Take pictures of yourself when you feel good and look good (on an everyday level) to show people that you're able to function mundane life and not downer. No, we placed pictures of ourselves to get relationship(s).
 Discerning Virtuosa
Msg: 53
Posted: 4/9/2012 6:59:29 PM
If someone can't accept me at my worst, he certainly doesn't deserve me at my best. Pride has me wanting to put my best foot forward, and a realistic man with common sense knows no woman looks great everyday.
 boarderdad50
Msg: 54
Posted: 4/10/2012 6:15:37 AM
I think the bigger point is no matter the method used, misrepresenting yourself starts off the date and potential relationship on a bad foundation. It might get you more first meets but the only dates you will get are people that are okay with being lied to and deceived...

If you want a grown up relationship with a stable adult you need to have communication skills and honesty, starting with a lie will weed out anyone worth being with. Also not to mention do you really want to be with someone that is not attracted to you? Be it a digitally adjusted version of you or a 3 year older version of you or maybe just maybe it would be better to find someone that likes the current right now version of you in real life.

I hope people dont think I am really someone that just sits at home and photoshopped myself into some action pictures... but if I did I would have been using gimp, freeware ftw
 smilingrock
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/23/2012 3:35:16 PM
Some of it is obvious like lips and eyes as evident on this page alone. Guess the firs face to face meet will be a surprise.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/26/2012 8:51:10 AM
I have to laugh...a few months back there was a thread going where a poster accused the OP of a fake pic...she even went on about photoshop...well pot meet kettle...

If a person is gonna do a fake, make it look realistic, not amateur...

as 4 the above comment, I looked @ all the pics on this page...WTF?

Some of us women do wear makeup ;o)

and maybe even a few of the men, LOL...but that would be another thread!
 venture5
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/26/2012 11:32:01 PM
I couldnt agree more, to me someone posting a false image is instant deal breaker, Im sick of it, Ive walked out on 2 meets cause of gross misrepresentation. Also posting wayyy out of date images is bogus. To me, it's shows a lack of self esteem, isecurity, ad the excuse "i do it for fun" and/or "to show my creative side" doesn't cut it.
ot everyone is a good photographer, not everyone looks good on camer, some people only look good on camera, (beauty is eye of the beholder).
I am tired of faking the smile when I meet someone who isn't close to their image.
Another thing is overexposed shots, jebus cristo, like comeon.
Sadly this dynamic of misrepresentation to me is indicative of our culture's obsession of media programmed perception of aesthetics. What's even more sad is some of the females ive messaged complain about guys postig old images and lookig like elmer fudd when they met them, yet when I have met same females, they were as guilty of misrepresetation as those they accussed. WTF WTF WTF.
 Shiastsu4U
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/27/2012 7:06:47 AM
I put this in my profile : "Most all of my pictures are recent and so should yours. If you falsify your age and your pictures, that just sets a standard of what kind of person you are; please move on." Right ? I'm really getting tired of the B.S when I go meet somebody and they lied on their profile. Have been nice about, but next time ! I'll make them want to crawl back under the rock that they came from. Fvk em.
 imanorangetiger
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2013 2:16:27 AM
This week I've come across three or four profiles with blatantly self-photoshopped photos. Do people think they're kidding anyone when they're showing overly plasticised skin tone in their 40s? Fair enough, you expect a little licence with professional portraits where wrinkles and blemishes are smoothed over but when you look as though you're a melted candle, it becomes laughingly obvious. Less is more.
 JoeBnD
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/13/2013 7:58:36 AM
If I hadn't photoshopped one of my pics, I would have had a streetlight post growing out of the top of my head.
 StrykinOut
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/13/2013 9:27:54 AM
to clean up red eye or remove something from the background it is fine. To make oneself slimmer or taller or more muscular or whatever is plain silly.
 tnt144
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/13/2013 10:54:45 AM

I think it's nice to have pics up when you aren't looking your "absolute best" and then shock the guys a little when you show up all fancy.

- I really hate when women do this... online dating can be unnatural enough... this makes it worse, makes it difficult to know who the heck you are talking to when you could not pick them out of a crowd and they don't look anything like their pictures. It just makes things harder.

Some may think games are cute, but it's really just fraud.
 DontAskMe2CarryUrPurse
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/13/2013 12:35:27 PM
The more misleading the better. I have a photographic memory, I just show up to dates blindfolded, it's a win/win situation.
 Vannili
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2013 7:47:47 AM
It doesn't bother me about retouch photos on a person's profile for the reason that is not the real person, I will be dealing with, it is just paper with his image whether it was badly shot, s/he is not photogenic,ect.

People should not judge a person because of his picture.
 OutMind
Msg: 65
Posted: 3/1/2013 8:06:16 AM
I use photoshop for business all the time. So if she is good at Photoshop, awesome. But the reality is simple. They don't know how to use the program so they simply do a blur of their faces, or they use photos of them hiding behind a dog or children. Which as far as photoshop is concerned is a horrible job and lame.
 roadrunner2525
Msg: 66
Posted: 3/1/2013 11:07:54 AM
I don't put in a picture but I had the shadow picture that pof gave me photo shopped. It didn't cost any extra.
 j.dillenger
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/1/2013 2:46:47 PM
I think using photoshop is LAME as hell. Can you use photoshop in real life at a bar or a club or anywhere else you meet people? Nope.

Stop misleading people, be yourself.
 MrTomcat1
Msg: 68
Posted: 7/22/2017 5:55:41 AM
It's a form of lying -PERIOD.
 south_city
Msg: 69
Posted: 7/22/2017 7:30:34 AM
It depends. Some slight adjustments to the background or the color is okay. But making a person look significant different in picture is a form of misrepresentation.
 hemingway234
Msg: 70
Posted: 7/22/2017 6:44:12 PM
I'm 107. Photoshop is amazing!
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 71
Posted: 7/23/2017 2:09:04 PM
I just saw the profile of someone I've been acquainted with for years through the local music scene. She's been a performer off and on over the last 15 years. I don't know if she did it herself, but SOMEONE did a masterful job of Photoshopping what is a 170-180lb woman into one who LOOKS to be about 110lbs.

Her profile isn't much different than the average ones I see. Demand barking, condescension, and she even has the lengthy "do not contact me if" section. (always a joy to see)

"If you are overweight" hilariously made the list.
 SLAFFA
Msg: 72
Posted: 7/23/2017 4:12:05 PM
I don't really care how much photo "optimizing" a woman does to her pics.

AS LONG AS she has at least one pic that accurately depicts her current size and face. A pic showing her current hairstyle and color is also a big plus.

I think what people often forget here is that the purpose of a pic (for most folks) will be to get people TO the profile. Sadly, few will read more than a few lines but some will.,

I am not familiar with Apple but I would be willing to bet that even a ten year old handed an Android running Kit Kat using only the built in studo, could learn in 30 minutes to easily subtract (or add) 10 or 15 pounds to anyone seamlessly. In an hour possibly 30 or 40 pounds unless faced with a difficult background.

I see dozens of ladies everyday here who have added tails, horns, whiskers etc. I think some are kinda cute and some look better with the added features. My guess is that many of the women sporting mostly/only boob shots are quite familiar with the FE in Android.

Highly doctored pics are easy to spot when folks know what to look for.

The key to most any pic enhancements is to start with a well focused quality pic and a proper background.
 spot4username
Msg: 73
view profile
History
Posted: 7/23/2017 5:06:34 PM
Just one more reason why I stick to real life dating.
 ThePigOfYourDreams
Msg: 74
Posted: 7/24/2017 6:51:10 AM

Just one more reason why I stick to real life dating.

Same here. I've dipped back and forth between online and real life over the years and had mostly good experiences with online, but there's something more satisfying about going out, hitting a dance floor, and having things develop right there on the spot. (no pun intended)

cooldog65
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 7/24/2017 8:39:38 AM
I've seen my share of these kinds of photos. It looks like a very slight paint layer over a photo. It just looks fake.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > How do you feel about 'retouched' photos? (AKA. Photoshoped profile pics!!)