Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Will America ever have a decade that was as interesting as the 60s?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 renoirs_dream
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Will America ever have a decade that was as interesting as the 60s?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
AMAZING! Really. I hear people all the time saying how they loved the 60's or wished they'd lived during that time. WHAT? UGH! Sure to be alive at that time would be nice, being alive at any time would be nice to a point.

Think of all the great things that happened over the years. Could you imagine living in days gone by.
Listening to great music that just came out by some new composer named Beethoven?

When women WANTED to get married and have children?

When women actually contributed to the family by doing MORE than working a dead end job?

When MEN were able to be the sole provider of income and people lived quite well.
When MEN actually were men and not some merto-dude!
MEN actually knew how to live simple and PROVIDE for a family.

Countries and lands to explore and discover and seek fortunes. FREE LAND! Show up, claim it an work it!

NO STATE TAXES!

NO FREE RIDES!! NO WELFARE STATE!

NO PROVIDING for some slob that didn't want a job!

Think about it guys... You could own a gun, pee and poop outside.
Not have to worry if the deer you shot had a deer tick.

E-Coli? AIDS? What's that?

As for Interesting....

How about the 1920's or 1930's
I think I would also find the 1770's interesting.

You notice how merchandise from 1800's and early 1900's you find in antique shops still stand up and work.

((((((( we will never compete with the "Greatest Genration Ever." They REALLY did nothing less than save the world.))))))))

They saved the world from other members of the same generation. The greatest generation ever was great because it was also the most vicious evil generation ever as well. There is no reason to believe that members of this generation wouldn't rise to the same level of greatness if it was needed.

What? The greatest generation ever could have been the from the 1400's when people fought back the invading ... Just think Vlad Tepes.

The greatest generation in the USA may have been the 600,000 Americans that died for states rights -vs- an overpowering federal government.

The greatest generation may BE the Americans who woke up to the fact that Terrorism has been affecting the world for decades and finally understand what other people in far off lands have been living with for years. NOW they are taking up arms and fighting for who? People that don't even want them there. Don't like them. AND will not remember them after they leave them with peace!

nipoleon
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Will America ever have a decade that was as interesting as the 60s?
Posted: 1/24/2010 2:38:39 AM
All of the sex everybody was supposed to have had in the 60"s, they really had in the 70's. Then AIDS came along and everybody became afraid of sex.
The prudes of the world couldn't have been more proud of AIDS if they'd invented it themselves.

The ages between 16 and 26 are when most people are setting out on their own and learning the ways of the world. Whatever decade that falls in seems the most interesting and vibrant.
 TheReason_
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 6:18:21 AM
All the sixties were, was a combination of bad music, that never would have flown, had everyone NOT been wacked out on drugs. (the doors? :facepalm:) bad clothes, and now we all have to wear condoms, because the dirty hippies literally fcuked up sex for everyone.

Dylan can't sing for shit

I'm actually surprised more people from my generation aren't more messed up than we are. I'm sure most of the moms back then were high, drunk, smoking, etc. The whole time they were pregnant.

Thanks for nothing.

:(
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 7:34:27 AM
The above post is a classic! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 nipoleon
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 9:51:53 AM
One thing.....
I do feel sorry for those people who came of age in the 80's and think that was the best decade.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 2:37:54 PM

You are showing your ignorance. Dylan isn't a singer he is a poet and composer.

Yeah, but he did try on occasion, all music dot com has about 120 albums worth of attempts he made, so I think maybe someone might have considered him one. I recently heard his Christmas album and it made me think Tom Waits was on a level with Mariah Carey in comparison.
 Montreal_Guy
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 6:14:57 PM
Hey, compared to walking few blocks to get some back at home ?

For an eight year old, I'd thought I'd died and went to Heaven.
 CryManelli
Msg: 34
Posted: 1/25/2010 12:23:40 PM
I've heard the Dylan can't sing thing so many times that I usually just laugh when I hear it and move on. Sometimes I point to certain songs of his and say, well let's hear you sing it better. Technically ther are certainly better singers, but the "quality" of a singer's voice is a very subjective thing. The basic measure for me is whether that voice moves me or not: emotionally, spiritually, mentally, physically, etc. Some may say that it was Dylan's words or the music that accompanied his singing is what moved people--certainly that is part of the equation. But in Dylan's voice there is something that cannot be taught, something that singing coaches can't teach. Dylan has "authenticity" in his voice. This is why when he sings Blowin in the Wind you listen to it in a different way than you do when Peter, Paul and Mary sing it.
 big pacific
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Posted: 1/25/2010 12:44:30 PM
And the same reason why everyone listens to hendrix play all along the watchtower........
 Toothy Black Lion
Msg: 36
Posted: 1/25/2010 11:50:53 PM
To me, the 70s , 80s, and 90s were FAR more interesting and entertaining than the 60s.

So far the 00's have been nothing but a disappointment as far as popular culture and advancement go.
 CryManelli
Msg: 37
Posted: 1/26/2010 11:48:16 AM
The 70s were a great decade because I went from 2 years old to 12 years old in that decade. The Steelers were winning Superbowls, the Ramones were making my parents laugh and my uncle had a poster of Farah Facett on the door to his basement. I remember a mall being built on the outskirts of town that had a great arcades and movie theaters that showed blockbusters like Jaws and Star Wars.
Musically it was a very ineresting decade, disco and punk came about, plus there was yaht rock, southern rock, country rock, country, soul, funk, heavy metal, classic rock (which was just called Rock), prog rock and the beginnings of New Wave. Just alot of different directions happening in music.
But economically there was an oil crisis which led to the invention of compact cars like the Gremlin. I think the 70s was the decade that the Arab nations really started becoming important--do to their oil of course.
Politics was dominated by Watergate and the withdrawal from Vietnam. There was also the improbable election of Jimmy Carter plus the beginnings of Ronald Reagan's Conservatism.
I think that drugs started getting out of hand in the 70s also. In the 60s people took drugs like lsd and pot for mind expansion. In the 70s harder drugs like cocaine and heroin and uppers and downers, etc became addicted and were being abused.
 trinity818
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2011 9:23:11 AM

Americans even had trucks that went around the neighborhood selling ICE CREAM AND POPSICLES !

We still do! In my neighborhood, they ride bikes with some kind of special cooler affixed to it. They ring a bike bell. I often wonder how safe they are. (We live in a high crime area.)

I remember the ice cream man coming around when I was a kid. They had their music playing. We would be running around trying to find change.

I don't remember the 60's well. I had way too much fun in the 70's. I'm not sure I would describe them as interesting though. I thought the fall of the Soviet Union was quite interesting as a historical event.
 sum1reel
Msg: 39
Posted: 4/21/2011 11:39:19 AM

But what exactly started that whole change, I don't know. At the time, I don't think anyone else knew, either. It may be that the larger proportion of youth in any given population had something to do with it.

Had not the JFk assassination taken place (the way, and the time that it did!)...the 1960's cultural movement (and everything that followed with it) would never have evolved the way it did!

The killing of JFK served as a rude awakening for many young pple in high school and college......the shock caused them to question societal norms, politicians, and the mores which were in place.......these young pple no longer wanted to be part of the social "establishment" and withdrew accordingly...the killings that followed (RFK, MLK, etc) further enforced this!..Music, dress, attitudes were the main VEHICLES by which these young pple expressed their differences, discontent, aspirations, etc!

I once heard that the Beatles (musically) defined the 60's......however, I believe that the 60's defined the Beatles....because if it were not for the triggering events that launched the counter-culture, none of what the Beatles were doing would have had any relevance.

This 'escapism' ushered in an era of creativity (2nd only to the Rennaisance} however, not everything was positive in this time period......the desire for pple to detach themselves from the mainstream left them estranged and often aloof, such that this generation could not make the movement a resounding success in shaping the country's policy & direction.....when the "effects" of the 60's came to a gasping end (in the 70's)things were slowly devolving back to the pre-movement era!...........some things benefited, the civil rights movement thrived in the chaos of the late 60's...the movement itself pre-dated the 60's and was gaining momentum, but flourished greatly amid the social discord.

The negatives that came from this movement was the embrace-ment, liberal acceptance of drug use such it has scarred more than one generation since then....selfishness, nihilism, disintegration of the family unit leading to dysfunctional households and other social pathology that still heavily plague the US.

Despite the creativity of that era brought forth....I do not think it was worth the price.....socially speaking!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2011 1:44:16 PM
Oh my, even though we both lived trough the same period, some1real, you have a ver different view of it all.
I would suggest that you have bought into a number of conclusions without real historic merit in your analysis. Things like the idea that JFK's assassination was so pivotal is a good example. Actually, we can NEVER know what would or would not have been different "if only." Many of your other conclusions are more a matter of earnest wishful thinking than anything else. Not saying YOU wished these things, rather they are all very much the sort of not terribly deeply thought out statements I hear on one-hour specials about the times, and not actually supportable by any sort of real investigation or evidence.

Yes, the Beatles have been SAID by many less-than-uniquely-creative TV writers, to have "defined" the sixties, and yes, you are certainly right that since they interacted with the world in that time, that the sixties also defined them. But that really isn't saying anything of substance at all.

ALL of what happens during ANY time period is interlinked, and interdependent, but somethings are deceptively so. Was JFK's assassination REALLY needed to make Americans distrustful enough of their government to rebel as they did afterward? Or was it more that the progress of TELEVISION, combined with the relative high wealth of the middle class, both allowed them the TIME to object without fear, AND gave them so much more to see that COULD be objected to?
There were "drug eras" and "free love" movements many times before the sixties, the only difference was that the sixties was the first time that everything got recorded on film and broadcast over the planet.

All of history is like this. The study of HISTORY itself evolves and changes too!! What we are currently teaching ourselves about what happened back then is NOT what we will always be teaching ourselves. Those of us who lived through events, are often MORE ignorant of what they were about than those who study those times later, for the simple reason that as we lived them, we didn't KNOW that this or that powerful group was LYING to us, or that this or that person behaved as they did due to the beginnings of mental illness, or to hidden challenges in their private lives.
 FrankNStein902
Msg: 41
Posted: 4/21/2011 2:11:48 PM

Yes they will and I think have had.

I would say that the 90's with the explosion of the personal PC and the internet have had a much bigger impact on changing things and ergo making the decade somewhat more interesting.

Although how a society was during a certain era is only relevant to the group of people that lived during then and what group/s they identified themselves with or how what happened has impacted the generations after it.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 42
Posted: 4/21/2011 4:28:06 PM
The decade of 2010 is going to make the 60's look like the 50's!!!
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 4/21/2011 8:54:01 PM
I just wish the 2010's could look like the fifties in terms of the American economy!
 valenciacityx
Msg: 44
Posted: 4/22/2011 12:51:27 AM
yes, Gen X is ever so f-n greatful for the way the sixties laid waste to everything before it. great job.
 Whatisnewwithyou
Msg: 45
Posted: 4/22/2011 5:45:22 AM
I thought the 1920's and 1950's were actually more interesting times. But I do enjoy the "Bond films" that came out of the 1960's and 70's. And of course bands actually played musical instruments, and sang without generally using technology to cover up their mistakes in the 1960's. "The Graduate," " Bullitt" and the Spaghetti Westerns are some of my favorite movies and they all arrived in the 1960's.
 sum1reel
Msg: 46
Posted: 4/22/2011 11:25:37 PM
@igor

Things like the idea that JFK's assassination was so pivotal is a good example.

where did i say that the JFK assassination was actually "pivotal"???......the JFK killing was a flashpoint, which ignited a social tsunami that the youth of america was subconsciously suppressing, possibly for the previous decade.....The JFk assassination by itself would not have been enuff, if other social issues hadn't been percolating underneath...much like inner magna pushing upward from a volcano cone.

The seeds for rebelliousness were planted in the 50's, (when McCarthy-ism was in vogue)...as depicted by movies of characters played by Brando & james dean.......which were reactionary to the climate of the time. Then in the back drop, we had the US & Russia, once allies, but now highly polarized, and grappling in a dangerous arms race battling for world hegemony. Unease rose when the USSR had gotten the edge in the "space-race" by putting the 1st man in orbit....all of this was brought to boiling point in the cuban missle crisis, which was the time when the US & Ussr came closest in flirting with world-wide destruction....followed by a sobering period, which was shattered abruptly...the same way JFK's skull was by the projectile that hit it!

Prior to the JFK hit...Americans had been lulled into a false sense of security & superiority......and it was in the aftermath of his death, that young pple began to question the very institutions that were held immutable......it was probably the first time that the youth realized that they were not in charge of their destiny, and that darker forces could (and would) direct them, rather than the vote they casted!.......hence the violence and demonstrations that ensued!

rather they are all very much the sort of not terribly deeply thought out statements I hear on one-hour specials about the times, and not actually supportable by any sort of real investigation or evidence.

Again, this is another of your many remarks steeped in hubris......Just because you don't agree with the thought processes, does NOT mean that my statements were "not thought out".....nor does it mean that the cause and effects are implausible!

the Beatles have been SAID by many less-than-uniquely-creative TV writers, to have "defined" the sixties, and yes, you are certainly right that since they interacted with the world in that time, that the sixties also defined them. But that really isn't saying anything of substance at all.

the point i was trying to make, is that it was the power the 60's social movement that shaped its music (and musicians!)...rather than the other way around!

ALL of what happens during ANY time period is interlinked, and interdependent,

no kidding,... and if you'd taken the time to reflect on how one period linked to(and affected) another...you'd see my point!

Was JFK's assassination REALLY needed to make Americans distrustful enough of their government to rebel as they did afterward?

absolutely,...the killing served as a flash point of a social awakening....that soon opened a venue for voicing displeasure, rejecting, and refuting many of the social norms once considered quasi-sacred!....this movement was born by the abject distrust and disgust (with the ruling establishment) that bloomed following the assassination

Or was it more that the progress of TELEVISION, combined with the relative high wealth of the middle class, both allowed them the TIME to object without fear,

your hubris allows you to call my premises unmerited, yet you put up an inane statement such as this ^ which insinuates that "high middle class wealth" glued to the TV set, was the prime cause for 60's movement!............Do tells us, what would make a relatively "wealthy" middle class society, (which is basking in its fruits of hard labor), all of a sudden decide to abandon their gracious living...and opt instead to risk losing all their material holdings, by entering into a state of social chaos and future uncertainty???

Those of us who lived through events, are often MORE ignorant of what they were about than those who study those times later, for the simple reason that as we lived them, we didn't KNOW..

I might agree that those who lived thru the 60's probably have a certain bias of sorts......however, if you are saying that only those who study the 60's many years later, are better qualified to exegete those turn of events...then i fully disagree!!!.....we are talking about historic events, open for everyone to examine...whether they experienced the 60's or not.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Will America ever have a decade that was as interesting as the 60s?