Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 DiannaBall
Msg: 3
Dating with Schizo affective disorderPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Never mind dating worries, does your employer know you have this issue? I see you claim to be a Surgical Tech. No offense but....get what I am saying??? I would disclose all of this with people who need to know. This is serious. Would I date someone with it? No. I do wish you well though. Be safe, especially on line.
 onefishwilldo
Msg: 4
Dating with Schizo affective disorder
Posted: 1/23/2010 6:13:13 PM
Post it on your profile but don't be specific about schizo/bipolar. Say somthing to the affect that you're taking medication to control whatever. you're cute so may be a nice man will accept you for who you are. There are a lot of thread posting on here about women and medications. Check them out.

Good luck .
 VivaciousVixen2010
Msg: 5
Posted: 1/23/2010 6:24:04 PM
people will say things and make fun of anybody that has a disability
the sooner that you tell him
the more quickly you will see what type of person he is

i hate society~just dump the person if they have a problem
don't these judgmental people know that their day will come!!!!!!!!!!!

something does happen to everybody.
our bodies fail
we die

test his behavior and tell him.
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/23/2010 6:37:32 PM
I don’t believe there is a need to mention this to anyone. You don’t just walk up to someone and say “Hello, I have schizo affective disorder”. It is none of their business. When you feel comfortable with someone and feel that a romantic relationship could develop, then it is time to let them know.

This is a dating site, a way to break the ice, and meet people. There is no need to advertise this on your site, or when you first meet someone from here. Again, wait until you feel comfortable, and if you feel a romantic relationship may develop, and then tell them. Someone suggested 3 or 4 dates. That sounds very reasonable. By then you will know if it could be a potential partner.

My daughter is ADHD and believes that she may be borderline bipolar. She works in the social field helping others help themselves. In her line a work she meets lots of wonderful people who also have disorders. Perfect place fo discuss your concerns, and maybe meet someone who will be a benefit in your life, buy understanding what the issues are and accepting that person as they are.

And…they are wonderful people.
 forum101
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 12:45:25 AM
Wondering how many of the posters have actually dealt with Schizophenic, or Bipolar bipolar disorders. Op has stated she has been hospitalized repeatedly, even against her will with this disorder. That means she was totally out of control. And she had no clue.
Ever been around someone who hears voices telling them this or that, do this or that? I work with a few. You never know from one minute to the next, what is going to happen, and these ARE medicated people.

Sorry OP, best of luck to you. But no way Jose, would I deal with this stress at home. Train wreck waiting to happen. I do not want to worry about someone waking me up in the night with a knife at my throat for something they heard in their head. Unfortunately, that is a common thing with Schizophrenic Disorder.
I would want to know this at the get go. And take a pass. Who knows what a second or third conversation would bring?
I feel for you OP. There is no easy solution for your situation.
 TheFallenJester
Msg: 8
Posted: 1/24/2010 12:46:52 AM
If you're just starting out, it's not necessarily his business. Before going off on a limb to disclose something like that, which is an ever-present part of your life, what have they disclosed to you that is important? What trust have they placed in you that would warrant telling them something so personal about yourself?

At whatever point you decide to say; if despite how they feel about you that is a sudden problem, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Just another guy, not a man. You'd be better off without.
 forum101
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 1:08:11 AM
post 29 """"""" I have no clue what schizoaffective disorder means."""""""
Really?
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 10
Posted: 1/24/2010 2:59:52 AM

Never mind dating worries, does your employer know you have this issue?

People with schizoaffective disorder are likely to have additional conditions, including anxiety disorders and substance abuse. Social problems, such as long-term unemployment, poverty and homelessness, are common. Furthermore, the average life expectancy of people with the disorder is shorter than those without the disorder, due to increased physical health problems and a higher suicide rate.

I think her employer DOES need to know to a certain extent.
If she has been hospitalized and does not take her medication she could start to hallucinate in many situations.

Hear the wrong instructions, panic.. Anything.

I don't see where you cant have a fulfilling life if treated properly and surrounding yourself with the right people and live a healthy life style.
Avoiding your known triggers, if there are any. Most disorders do have them.

Stress especially. So don't know what avenue you should be taking so far as employment.
But if you are responsible in anyway for the safety of others, maybe choose another profession.

I would find out everything there is to know about the condition, read every book available and try to help myself and accept help as needed to live with it/manage it.

Unless you are thinking about becoming involved... more than a coffee date or occasional movie. Your need to disclose it...need to know basis.

I wish you well
 carolann0308
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 1/24/2010 10:24:38 AM
They need to know the minute you become partners or are exclusive. Mental illness is not something you can just spring on people, ask your Dr or therapist.
 TheFallenJester
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/24/2010 10:31:24 AM

People with STDs, HIV, AIDS......etc should tell people about their diseases . Hiding the truth makes people feel deceived and manipulated .

I think I understand where it is you're trying to go with that point, but equating mental disorders with diseases that are commonly transmitted through sex; lessen that to anything is just contagious in any aspect is just ubsurd.

With the two threads going on right now between schizy and BPD, it seems the mass is likening any of us as lepers.

Understanding is the keyword.
Being afflicted doesn't turn you into a degenerate or the next Eddie Gein. It requries one to discipline theirself and to take responsibility.
I've seen people with no such condition do far worse than most of those, self included, with such a condition.
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/24/2010 11:05:41 AM

I think I understand where it is you're trying to go with that point, but equating mental disorders with diseases that are commonly transmitted through sex; lessen that to anything is just contagious in any aspect is just absurd.

Understanding is the keyword.

Being afflicted doesn't turn you into a degenerate or the next Eddie Gein. It requries one to discipline theirself and to take responsibility.
I've seen people with no such condition do far worse than most of those, self included, with such a condition.

Wise words from one so young.
 colt8301
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/24/2010 2:49:04 PM
Should you disclose this information about yourself? If your serious about the guy, absolutely. Give someone the "option" of making the choice of a commitment with you. Because mental illnesses such as yours is a lifetime thing and they get worse the older you get.

I say that because a couple of my intermediate family members has the condition and their lovers always complained they never knew years down the line after a episode. So I personally think it needs to be known. That way there are no suprises. Good Luck with everything.
 algernon9
Msg: 16
Posted: 9/17/2011 9:28:20 PM
i am schizoaffective amongst other things and i put it as the very first thing on my profile. i am on social security right now because of it so it would be difficult to hide. sadly most women do not respond to me when i say hello if they look at my profile first which gets me down, but not as down as i feel telling someone ive already gotten to know and having them reject me. it just hurt too much.
i do not enjoy being compared to schizophrenics as that is a completely different disorder. and that woman who was afraid of being attacked with a knife needs to get real, plus she was talking out her ass about the wrong mental illness... some people.
anyways people with SAD are all different, some symptoms are more predominant than others.
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 17
Posted: 9/18/2011 8:42:59 AM
~OP~ So many people have disorders such as yours (with or without the combinations such as yours) and never tell anyone, only to have it learned after a relationship has been formed and then you have a whole huge pile of things to sort out, including anger from the other side. Personally? I'd don't tell anyone ALL about myself early on, I see no reason why you should either (I have panic disorder which is well under control and no one's business until I deem it their business.) However, there comes a point in a dating relationship where it's obvious it's heading to a more intimate/serious level and I believe it's then when we disclose certain aspects of "who" we are as whole people. There's absolutely NO reason to post this in a profile on a free dating site, that's WAY too much information and truly no total stranger needs to have that much information about anyone else. But much like your family/friends ~ when you feel there is a formation of a "relationship" (even close friendship) of course you need to inform/educate someone of your specific situation (as it's not mirror to anyone else's.) Clearly you have a firm grasp on how this affects/effects you and that's what someone else needs to know. If they choose to not know you further, that's OK ~ and likely best for you. It won't always be that way though. There are people who see the person for who they are, not for what mishap happened in the gene-pool. Stay on your meds!!! Best of luck to you.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 18
Posted: 9/18/2011 8:50:10 AM
I see this disorder often in my line of work, & the problems always seem to arise when they feel "normal", then stop taking their meds. When you had your psychotic breaks in the past, was it b/c you stopped taking your meds? You don't have to disclose this or anything else that's very personal while you are casually dating. When you get to the point where you are going to be exclusive, that's a different story, then it's time to have a talk about your condition.
 ravenhair4u
Msg: 19
Posted: 9/18/2011 9:11:30 AM
Mental sickness is very serious and one should people know it if they are dating .
We are free in our choices . I do not want someone who will add misery to my problems . Dating someone with schizo/bipolar is like gambling because one day they are okay and one day they are nuts . Schizo brings panic attacks, bipolar is a mind swing . Unless controlled by meds it is a call for trouble .

Her condition can be controlled as long as she remains on her meds, continues to see her pyschiatrist & immediately reports any problems/concerns to him/her. She may also be seeing a therapist. She has overcome a lot of her disorder by going to school, getting a degree & maintaining employment. She is beautiful, her line of work requires her to be highly intelligent. She has family supporting her & hopefully making sure she is taking her meds. She's not going to be normal 1 minute then snap the next. She has had problems in the past, probably from not taking her meds but it appears she has learned from this. You are entitled to your choice, however as long as she maintains her meds, & support system, her chances of another psychotic break are relatively low. And to the poster who asked if your employer knows about your seisure disorder, it's none of their business & you should remove it from your profile.
 _shakti_
Msg: 20
Posted: 9/18/2011 9:45:14 AM

Everyone with mental health issues isn't a danger to society....
Exactly Op :)

As many others have said, you aren't obligated to tell any Tom, D1ck or you know who this info.. save that for someone you want to get closer to.

Divinelovepath:
All those meds do is cut you off from your psychic senses but they are still there.
The meds help people with this disorder to no longer have psychotic breaks, to lessen hallucinations/delusions and to help control their cycling moods.. I certainly hope you aren't suggesting she go off of them??

On an ignorant level professionals call the effects of what spirits do a disorder.
Telling someone who already has a thought disorder and hallucinations/delusions that they are being influenced by spirits is not helpful in the slightest.

Speaking of ignorance..
 Rett56
Msg: 21
Posted: 9/18/2011 9:45:29 AM
Take your medicine!
:banger
 _shakti_
Msg: 22
Posted: 9/18/2011 11:21:16 AM

All those meds do is cut you off from your psychic senses but they are still there
Well it certainly sounds as though you think the meds don't do much else. Hence the question..

Professional psychiatrist and doctors are examples of people who are ignorant.
What a laughable statement. They know more about this particular disorder than YOU do, of that I am certain.

They admit that they don't know what the causes are and that is why their job is a 'practice' because they don't know.
More ignorance. And what a ridiculous play on words, I wonder if they're even yours..

While the exact cause of schizoaffective disorder is not known, researchers believe that genetic, biochemical, and environmental factors are involved.

Genetics (heredity) : A tendency to develop schizoaffective disorder may be passed on from parents to their children.

Brain chemistry : People with schizophrenia and mood disorders may have an imbalance of certain chemicals in the brain. These chemicals, called neurotransmitters, are substances that help nerve cells in the brain send messages to each other. An imbalance in these chemicals can interfere with the transmission of messages, leading to symptoms.

Environmental factors : Evidence suggests that certain environmental factors -- such as a viral infection, poor social interactions or highly stressful situations -- may trigger schizoaffective disorder in people who have inherited a tendency to develop the disorder.
http://www.webmd.com/schizophrenia/guide/mental-health-schizoaffective-disorder?page=2

What they could do is keep researching and figuring out a solution that addresses the cause to eliminate it altogether before treatment.
Someone is having a psychotic break, here.. let's stop everything and research. Yeah, there's a plan

There is ongoing research the the mental health field, that doesn't mean people who need it should go without treatment.

The only problem is the solution has been found and there is no money in it so their practice is just a business exploiting the suffering.
If there was a 'solution' as you say, there would be proof, studies, evidence.. got any?

If you want to be intelligent, I suggest that you ask for clarification, do research, or figure out why a person says what they do before attacking them.
Thanks tips, but I did ask for clarification.

This is all very off topic, but I'm not about to keep my mouth shut while someone suggests that a woman with a known disorder is possessed by spirits.
 Maleman999
Msg: 24
Posted: 9/18/2011 2:46:49 PM
I don't understand all of the people who are telling you to keep it a secret until you meet someone you want to have a relationship with and start dating, especially when you have in your profile in the occupation section:
"I don't work at the moment due to health issue."
The first thing a guy is going to want to know is what is the health issue?

The advice to keep it under wraps until you start dating a guy you want to develop a relationship may and most likely will backfire on you.

If I went through the trouble and time of initially contacting you, exchanging a few e-mails, then start phone contact, eventually meet in person, and then start dating you, and after a few dates you say to me: "Oh, by the way, I have a mental disorder that prevents me from having a totally normal life. I go a little crazy and hear voices if I don't take my meds on schedule". I would head for the hills. This is not something that should be kept secret until you rope a guy in who might start having feelings for you too after a while.

You should either have it in your profile or tell guys when they start e-mailing you. Otherwise, if they find out later, they'll think your condition is a lot worse than you're letting on because you're so determined to keeping a secret. If a guy isn't interested in you because of it, so be it. I'm sure there are a lot of deal breakers for you as well, so it's no different.

Do you plan on having kids someday? Is this condition hereditary? That's something that's important to know if plan on meeting someone and you're considering having kids.
 _shakti_
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/18/2011 2:55:09 PM

This is a precise example of ignorance. I posted a link to what you're asking for here but you'd rather argue then learn as I posted in my previous post.
In order to back up your assertions, you'll need more than what you've brought. Are there studies? Evidence? Stats and real life examples of how it has helped... ?

If it is such a solution as you say, it should be right there at your fingertips and no one would have to watch an hour long youtube video to access it.

What other rational explanation do you suppose causes the voices that she's hearing? Ventriloquists hiding in her bushes projecting their voice?
'Spirits' are a more rational explanation for hallucinations than biologically based causes like imbalanced neurotransmitters? Surely you jest..

Perhaps you should control yourself from your argumentative outbursts because what you're doing is try to ostricize what Shakti doesn't believe in and that is an attempt at defamation of someone who is trying to help someone.
I've made my intent here perfectly clear.

I am quite passionate about helping those with mental health issues, and as I said earlier, telling someone who has a mental illness that they are experiencing spirit possession is NOT helpful. Not only is it not helpful, but it could be downright terrifying for someone who has similar delusions.

But you wouldn't know about such things, all you have is biased info and your recurring agenda. Have you ever seen someone experiencing a psychotic break? How helpful do you suppose it would be in that moment to tell them that they are possessed by a spirit?

You want proof? Go find it.
Actually, the person making a positive, factual claim is the one with the burden of proof. In the absence of that, you have no right to make such a claim. It's rather simple actually.

The reason why you can't 'keep your mouth shut', as you said, is because you judge, assume, and have the need to control others much like narcissists do.
You think that your ideas.. sorry, I should clarify.. AJ Miller- who believe's he is Jesus's- ideas.. are more legitimate than decades worth of research and countless experts in the field, yet I am similar to a narcissist?

Classic, lol..

Why not just leave it up to the OP if she wants to explore what I suggested vs. trying to control the situation by creating drama, arguments, accusations, and making yourself out to be a fool by engaging in such immature behavior?
The Op was not asking for your advice on how she should deal with her mental illness, from this vantage point she seems to be doing just fine with that. She was asking how forthcoming she should be in dating situations.

Why don't you stick to the subject at hand instead of proselytizing inappropriately.
 larissan04
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/18/2011 4:10:06 PM
you should be up front about this to a date.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2011 5:13:37 PM

The reason why you can't 'keep your mouth shut', as you said, is because you judge, assume, and have the need to control others much like narcissists do.

No, it's because you post bunk, blame others for your lack of substantiating the bunk, and expect people to take your bunk as something with actual meaning.

Show us your proof, …or it's just woo woo nonsense. A credible cite will do (emphasis on credible).

Hey..hey..just cuz the guy lives in a van, down by the river, is a self proclaimed healer of anything and everything, self proclaimed Phd..or whatever..doesn't mean he posts bunc..

Wait..never mind.
 schizo4u
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/25/2014 8:05:00 PM
I think you should let someone know what they may be getting into. It saves time and heartache in the long run.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >