Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 home_osorio
Msg: 23
Dating with Schizo affective disorderPage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
i've seen patients with schizophrenia in the hospital. they are really awesomely disturbed. too much drama going on. i even had a bf with this disorder and he thinks he is Jesus. wow. good thing i do not love him anymore.
 Maleman999
Msg: 24
Dating with Schizo affective disorder
Posted: 9/18/2011 2:46:49 PM
I don't understand all of the people who are telling you to keep it a secret until you meet someone you want to have a relationship with and start dating, especially when you have in your profile in the occupation section:
"I don't work at the moment due to health issue."
The first thing a guy is going to want to know is what is the health issue?

The advice to keep it under wraps until you start dating a guy you want to develop a relationship may and most likely will backfire on you.

If I went through the trouble and time of initially contacting you, exchanging a few e-mails, then start phone contact, eventually meet in person, and then start dating you, and after a few dates you say to me: "Oh, by the way, I have a mental disorder that prevents me from having a totally normal life. I go a little crazy and hear voices if I don't take my meds on schedule". I would head for the hills. This is not something that should be kept secret until you rope a guy in who might start having feelings for you too after a while.

You should either have it in your profile or tell guys when they start e-mailing you. Otherwise, if they find out later, they'll think your condition is a lot worse than you're letting on because you're so determined to keeping a secret. If a guy isn't interested in you because of it, so be it. I'm sure there are a lot of deal breakers for you as well, so it's no different.

Do you plan on having kids someday? Is this condition hereditary? That's something that's important to know if plan on meeting someone and you're considering having kids.
 _shakti_
Msg: 25
Posted: 9/18/2011 2:55:09 PM

This is a precise example of ignorance. I posted a link to what you're asking for here but you'd rather argue then learn as I posted in my previous post.
In order to back up your assertions, you'll need more than what you've brought. Are there studies? Evidence? Stats and real life examples of how it has helped... ?

If it is such a solution as you say, it should be right there at your fingertips and no one would have to watch an hour long youtube video to access it.

What other rational explanation do you suppose causes the voices that she's hearing? Ventriloquists hiding in her bushes projecting their voice?
'Spirits' are a more rational explanation for hallucinations than biologically based causes like imbalanced neurotransmitters? Surely you jest..

Perhaps you should control yourself from your argumentative outbursts because what you're doing is try to ostricize what Shakti doesn't believe in and that is an attempt at defamation of someone who is trying to help someone.
I've made my intent here perfectly clear.

I am quite passionate about helping those with mental health issues, and as I said earlier, telling someone who has a mental illness that they are experiencing spirit possession is NOT helpful. Not only is it not helpful, but it could be downright terrifying for someone who has similar delusions.

But you wouldn't know about such things, all you have is biased info and your recurring agenda. Have you ever seen someone experiencing a psychotic break? How helpful do you suppose it would be in that moment to tell them that they are possessed by a spirit?

You want proof? Go find it.
Actually, the person making a positive, factual claim is the one with the burden of proof. In the absence of that, you have no right to make such a claim. It's rather simple actually.

The reason why you can't 'keep your mouth shut', as you said, is because you judge, assume, and have the need to control others much like narcissists do.
You think that your ideas.. sorry, I should clarify.. AJ Miller- who believe's he is Jesus's- ideas.. are more legitimate than decades worth of research and countless experts in the field, yet I am similar to a narcissist?

Classic, lol..

Why not just leave it up to the OP if she wants to explore what I suggested vs. trying to control the situation by creating drama, arguments, accusations, and making yourself out to be a fool by engaging in such immature behavior?
The Op was not asking for your advice on how she should deal with her mental illness, from this vantage point she seems to be doing just fine with that. She was asking how forthcoming she should be in dating situations.

Why don't you stick to the subject at hand instead of proselytizing inappropriately.
 larissan04
Msg: 26
Posted: 9/18/2011 4:10:06 PM
you should be up front about this to a date.
 Pingshooter
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 9/18/2011 5:13:37 PM

The reason why you can't 'keep your mouth shut', as you said, is because you judge, assume, and have the need to control others much like narcissists do.

No, it's because you post bunk, blame others for your lack of substantiating the bunk, and expect people to take your bunk as something with actual meaning.

Show us your proof, …or it's just woo woo nonsense. A credible cite will do (emphasis on credible).

Hey..hey..just cuz the guy lives in a van, down by the river, is a self proclaimed healer of anything and everything, self proclaimed Phd..or whatever..doesn't mean he posts bunc..

Wait..never mind.
 schizo4u
Msg: 28
Posted: 6/25/2014 8:05:00 PM
I think you should let someone know what they may be getting into. It saves time and heartache in the long run.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >