Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > California  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 213history
Msg: 34
What has gotten you concerned with Politics?Page 2 of 44    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41)
Mr. K,

" ...weak people trying to find a reason and excuse for their inadequacy."

Since the largest group, European Americans have the lowest poverty rate and the highest educational attainment levels, median household income, and median personal income of any racial demographic in the nation. I am going to assume Mr. Coast is asserting minorities as the "weak" and "inadequate."

Applying history and common sense, most of us would agree European- American success is the result of generations of discrimination and oppression. European- American success does not reflect superiority.

Paul your responses about our African- American president reflect feelings of being threatened.

Why does my preference of being referred as an Asian- American bother you?
 matchlight
Msg: 35
view profile
History
What has gotten you concerned with Politics?
Posted: 5/12/2010 9:10:12 PM
^^^^^Whatever book you got all that from has some interesting speculations. Who is "us," as in most of "us?" That is not the conclusion I reach by applying history and common sense, and I suspect it's not that of most Americans, either. If you're going to insult the people who founded and built this country by claiming they discriminated and oppressed, back that up with specific facts. Otherwise, someone might consider it an ethnic or racial insult.

Do you have any evidence to support your claim that Paul dislikes Obama because he's part black? Or is it just something you fabricated? Anyone who hits below the belt like that in a discussion or debate might want to think about having the favor returned. If someone takes a cheap shot at me, I'm going to make sure he gets even worse in return.

I personally don't care what you want to be referred to as. I'm in the habit of referring to people by their names, or not at all. In my experience, the people most obsessed with race harbor the most racial animosity themselves. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. And any time you want to hear what I think about your politically correct, multicultural, revisionist history and what its purposes are, you just let me know.
 213history
Msg: 36
Posted: 5/12/2010 9:23:01 PM
" If you're going to insult the people who founded and built this country by claiming they discriminated and oppressed, back that up with specific facts. Otherwise, someone might consider it an ethnic or racial insult. "

American slavery, Chinese exclusion Act, Bracero Program, Japanese internment, the Tuskegee experiment, Jim Crowe.....

The people who founded this country did discriminate. This evident by voting requirement of the era. Only white men who owned property were allowed to vote. There was also a time when African- American votes were not equal to Caucasians. Feel free to correct me.

" any time you want to hear what I think about your politically correct, multicultural, revisionist history and what its purposes are, you just let me know. "

By posting I was already letting you know. It is refreshing to see you did not find a way to pull the Constitution into this conversation. *bravo
 matchlight
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 5/12/2010 10:48:09 PM

It is refreshing to see you did not find a way to pull the Constitution into this conversation. *bravo

I'm sure your regard for the Constitution is as slight as your understanding of it. I don't know how anyone can claim to understand American history without understanding the ideas behind the Constitution.

Here's a surprise for you--almost every law discriminates against someone. So what? You list sounds like a litany of supposed sins taken right out of Howard Zinn's "A Peoples' History of the U.S." What was discriminatory or oppressive about the bracero program? No one forced those seasonal laborers to come here for the work. If they could have done better in their own countries, they were completely free to have stayed there. "Jim Crow" law refers to the separate but equal state laws that became popular after the 1890's, when the Supreme Court found "separate but equal" accommodations constitutional in Plessy v. Ferguson.

I doubt you know the story of the Japanese internment in any detail (serious analysis spoils good anti-American propaganda.) I'm not going to try to teach you here all the things you obviously didn't learn in school, but the situation was very complicated and difficult. Japan had agents in several places along the west coast--including Terminal Island--and documents captured after the war prove a small percentage of Japanese-Americans was disloyal.

You don't mention that Japan had several subs patrolling the west coast of the U.S. in December, 1941, or that they sank merchant ships and murdered the crews. They chased ships right into the harbor at Portland and Santa Cruz. You also don't mention that several Japanese who live on a small plantation island west of Kauai sided with pilot in the Pearl Harbor attack who had crash landed there, taking up arms against the native Hawaiians to help him escape. And FDR had heard about it.

You mention slavery in this country, but I notice you don't mention its history in other countries. To hear you tell it, the U.S. clung to it long after every other country had abandoned it. Not true. Britain ended it at home, but slavery lasted much longer in its West Indies colonies. A number of them and countries like Brazil still had slavery well after 1863. It's still practiced today, mainly in Africa. You also don't mention that the United States lost about 400,000 soldiers in ending slavery. That's equivalent to more than *three million* dead, as a percentage of our current population.

You also seem to have swallowed the silly anti-American propaganda that blacks "were considered only three-fifths of a person." That's true, but what it's used to imply is not. The figure came about purely as a compromise. Virginia had a large slave population which it wanted to count in determining how many representatives it got to send to Congress. The northern colonies, resisting Virginia's domination, wanted its slaves not to be counted at all. The eventual compromise assigned representatives this way: the slave population counted as 3/5 of its actual number. Art. I, sec. 2, clause 3.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 38
Posted: 5/12/2010 10:59:28 PM
Let's face it 213 you've been maleducated and miseducated and by the grace of God you stumbled upon a virtual repository of mind freeing, dopey libtard shedding, mind clearing, "damn I never thought of it that way" old guy wisdom. Do you realize this day, nay this very moment offers the opportunity for you to stop wondering every moment of your life why the stuff you believe doesn't line up with reality around you? You've been mind-screwed by a system geared to make you stupid, angry, dependent and ultimately feed whatever goo via tubes.

You're a lucky guy my man, go forth in the confidence you're on the path almost never travelled by dopey lefties. And tell em where ya got it, POF deserves props for this kinda service.
 213history
Msg: 39
Posted: 5/12/2010 11:17:16 PM
Great example at how easy it is to spout nonsense and a perfect definition of an internet tough guy. *bravo Golf

Your response and assumptions about me clearly shows your level of retardation, unwillingness to respect other point of views, and inability to communicate.

I was not aware these forums were for Krusty Kracker Klub members only. I make no apologies for bringing a different perspective to the table.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 40
Posted: 5/13/2010 5:48:40 AM
213 you did not bring new ideas to the table, you brought old world, tribal, class warfare ideas to the table. As Match reminds us daily via the Constitution, it elevated the man, and diminished the state or group that would enslave you.

But man's existential dread is to be alone in the universe. So being an infdvidual is a little scary for most, especially with no religion to help us to sort out the mysteries. The left, as all their intellectuals before them elevate the state as the focal point for the individual, then keeps the state hegemony by continually playing one tribe off against the other, one class against the other, picking at sores as it were.

So yes I do think people who would trade 1st amendment constitutional safeguards for Kagan theory of speech rights acceptable only of they serve the interests of the state.... the thinking of evil people in some cases, morons in most.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 41
Posted: 5/13/2010 9:25:32 PM
Hey 213,

Don't worry about it. Some of these old farts have nothing better to do than bait you out. They do occasionally come up with some things that can't be denied. There are a few gems rolling around in amongst all that bullshit. And it's good to keep 'em on their toes. It also helps to understand where they'e coming from so's you can reason with mainstream folks who are willing to be reasonable--despite the prevalence of some traditional views of theirs that are just simply backward.

They don't know why they believe some of that stuff. They just do. And because they feel entitled to their beliefs, there's really no talking to them. All you can do is make sure that your perspective is out there for anyone with ears to hear. The POF "educational service" is there for everyone, even if some are too set in their ways to bother using it.
 AceOfSpace
Msg: 42
Posted: 5/13/2010 9:32:16 PM
But man's existential dread is to be alone in the universe. So being an infdvidual is a little scary for most, especially with no religion to help us to sort out the mysteries.

Good point, GC. Right out of Marcuse. One quibble, though. Nine times out of ten it is religious authorities who bamboozle people in the ways you mention.

So no. There is not a way in the world that I would ever trade off any of my Constitutional safeguards-- for Kagan theory or any other ideologically based claptrap-- even if it meant rising to the defense of due process for terrorists and and equal protection for other unpopular individuals whose rights we might feel thoroughly entitled to trample.

There is something thoroughly immoral about using the supposed superiority of one's own "in group" as an excuse to displace one's own existential dread onto those who are different. Whether its rounding up the Jews, or beheading infidels, or telling gays they can't marry because they don't fit some arbitrary definition, the only differences are matters of degree. "We're OK and you're not," is an affront to human dignity that undermines the dignity of the ones who make that claim far more than the ones being put down. You cannot escape the curse of individuality that way. All you accomplish by doing that is to forego the blessings of freedom.
 matchlight
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 5/13/2010 10:42:52 PM
^^^^Youv'e just given everyone here a lesson in sloppy thinking. "They don't know why they believe some of that stuff. They just do"
That's typical of the sort of mindless response we've come to expect from the hate-America contingent. You're trying to back up clueless drones who can barely think their way out of bed in the morning.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 44
Posted: 5/14/2010 5:16:14 AM
Actually none of the old farts, apparently white guys all, claimed superiority of their group or as individuals. The undropped shoe on the part of multi-cultural leftists is that we are, or do. By no means do I think my group superior to others. I would suggest you and the nanny state petitioners look into your own souls for the source of inferiority, and ask yourselves as honestly as possible what it is you want of us? Frankly we want nothing of you, in fact could you turn down the volume, indoor voices, and try to pick up after yourselves after you burn down a city because we don't think heart eating Aztec jaguar warriors are equal culturally to the Magna Carta?

I do however believe the USA and those colonies that grew out of the British Empire have created societies that result in material standards, and constitutional freedoms that cannot be matched. They were largely based upon the individual as sacrosanct (not groups, tribes,special handicaps, historical grievances, etc. until current times. As you may noticed these societies have diminished as they have deserted these principals.
 213history
Msg: 45
Posted: 5/14/2010 9:12:51 AM
" It isn't a given, it takes a lot of hard work, skill, and even some luck. But the only way you are guaranteed not to succeed and be happy, is if you allow yourself not to. I'm sorry, but again, this old fart believes that if individuals can not stand on their own two feet, realize the gifts that you have, and not allow those who want to keep you where they are, because sorry loves company, You only have yourselves to blame. Not someone else who you feel has a leg up, because their skin is lighter than yours. "

Here is an article about a group of minorities who had their feet swept under them. Do you think they have an excuse to be mad? Who is to blame for denying them the opportunity to have a college education? Was this action (Japanese internment) successful oppressing minority advancement?

Actions taken against minority groups such as the article posted give Caucasian- Americans a "leg up." The following article is just one example.

LONG BEACH, Calif. -- More than 70 Japanese-Americans whose college careers at California State University campuses were derailed when they were sent to World War II internment camps are getting their diplomas.

Six CSU campuses are awarding honorary degrees over the next three weeks to former students who were unable to complete their studies.

Some of the aging alumni plan to attend the special commencement ceremonies. Those who are deceased or unable to travel will be represented by their families.

Both the Cal State system and the University of California last year decided to belatedly honor the estimated 950 students who were forced to leave college in 1942 for internment camps throughout the West.
 213history
Msg: 46
Posted: 5/14/2010 9:31:40 AM
I would argue that experimentation on minority races also give Caucasians a leg up.

Who do these victims blame? Were victims weak and adequate for believing our government?

July 25, 2002 --Thirty years ago today, the Washington Evening Star newspaper ran this headline on its front page: "Syphilis Patients Died Untreated." With those words, one of America's most notorious medical studies, the Tuskegee Syphilis Study, became public.

"For 40 years, the U.S. Public Health Service has conducted a study in which human guinea pigs, not given proper treatment, have died of syphilis and its side effects," Associated Press reporter Jean Heller wrote on July 25, 1972. "The study was conducted to determine from autopsies what the disease does to the human body."

The next morning, every major U.S. newspaper was running Heller's story. For Morning Edition, NPR's Alex Chadwick reports on how the Tuskegee experiment was discovered after 40 years of silence.

The Public Health Service, working with the Tuskegee Institute, began the study in 1932. Nearly 400 poor black men with syphilis from Macon County, Ala., were enrolled in the study. They were never told they had syphilis, nor were they ever treated for it. According to the Centers for Disease Control, the men were told they were being treated for "bad blood," a local term used to describe several illnesses, including syphilis, anemia and fatigue.

For participating in the study, the men were given free medical exams, free meals and free burial insurance.

At the start of the study, there was no proven treatment for syphilis. But even after penicillin became a standard cure for the disease in 1947, the medicine was withheld from the men. The Tuskegee scientists wanted to continue to study how the disease spreads and kills. The experiment lasted four decades, until public health workers leaked the story to the media.

By then, dozens of the men had died, and many wives and children had been infected. In 1973, the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) filed a class-action lawsuit. A $9 million settlement was divided among the study's participants. Free health care was given to the men who were still living, and to infected wives, widows and children.

But it wasn't until 1997 that the government formally apologized for the unethical study. President Clinton delivered the apology, saying what the government had done was deeply, profoundly and morally wrong:

"To the survivors, to the wives and family members, the children and the grandchildren, I say what you know: No power on Earth can give you back the lives lost, the pain suffered, the years of internal torment and anguish.

"What was done cannot be undone. But we can end the silence. We can stop turning our heads away. We can look at you in the eye and finally say, on behalf of the American people: what the United States government did was shameful.

"And I am sorry."
 fzrhusker
Msg: 47
Posted: 5/14/2010 9:36:40 AM
213 You have just made the best case I have ever seen for not having government in control of health care. Imagine what they will do in the future when they have full control and decide that they need to test some new thing. Think about it, trust the government to do the right thing, not.
 213history
Msg: 48
Posted: 5/14/2010 9:49:54 AM
Your comment is an interesting perspective on Healthcare. Are you accepting/recognizing the experiment was oppressive and discriminatory? I would argue that the unethical results and conclusions from the Tuskegee experiment did advance healthcare. Unfortunately, the Caucasian-American government at the time (1932) felt it was justified to use African- Americans. This article is an example how a Caucasian government flexes its superiority and oppress a minority race.

fzrhusker
Msg: 49
Posted: 5/14/2010 10:22:09 AM
Well first off your argument and comment is race baiting as it holds no historical context. Every society in history has done some type of human experimentation. It is not about race it is about power gone out of control now matter who is in charge. You seem to want to define the argument to to your own end.

Joseph Mengala has been credited with enormous amounts of current medical knowledge but he was a monster.

You can not judge history by what is unacceptable today as reasoning and and social norms change.
May I suggest you take a look at this link.

http://listverse.com/2008/03/14/top-10-evil-human-experiments/
 213history
Msg: 50
Posted: 5/14/2010 10:37:01 AM
"After placing the children in control and experimental groups, Tudor gave positive speech therapy to half of the children, praising the fluency of their speech, and negative speech therapy to the other half, belittling the children for every speech imperfection and telling them they were stutterers. Many of the normal speaking orphan children who received negative therapy in the experiment suffered negative psychological effects and some retained speech problems during the course of their life. "

http://listverse.com/2008/03/14/top-10-evil-human-experiments/

Thanks for the post.

The monster study correlates with my ideas about primary and secondary education belittling children from minority backgrounds. If a normal child is receiving negative therapy about their race and culture, is it reasonable to conclude the child will suffer negative psychological effects and possibly retain identification issues during the course of their life?
 fzrhusker
Msg: 51
Posted: 5/14/2010 10:44:23 AM

If a normal child is receiving negative therapy about their race and culture, is it reasonable to conclude the child will suffer negative psychological effects and possibly retain identification issues during the course of their life?

You will have to show me where this curriculum or therapy is being taught.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 52
Posted: 5/14/2010 10:55:26 AM
PH if we go according to 213s logic your church is only opening that school to teach the Haiti children how inferior they are.

213 victims will always find a way to be a victim, in my eyes you are looking to be the victim extraordinaire.
 213history
Msg: 53
Posted: 5/14/2010 11:05:26 AM
My comment was meant to reinforce the importance of minority participation in politics. The actions taken in 1932 against African- Americans was not caused and accepted by a 'few' people. In 1932 Caucasian- American wield the political power in country. This power was used to justify experimentation and discrimination.

"Consider this, when the Haiti disaster ocurred, my largely Caucasian church sent over $100,000 to aid people of color who we do not even know because it was the right thing to do. We also arranged for a new school to open to replace one destroyed by the disaster."

I wonder how many Asian countries sent relief funds to Tennessee. "

Seriously, would you want our President soliciting other nations for help? Didn't we have clowns accusing our President showing weakness when he bowed to Japan's royalty?

Haiti and white guilt is an entirely different subject so I'll avoid it for now.

Husker, please read my posts in page 2 of this thread. I provide examples of a curriculum that place minorities in a negative light, this same curriculum has a recurring theme suggesting racial superiority. Thus providing Caucasian students positive therapy.
 fzrhusker
Msg: 54
Posted: 5/14/2010 11:30:04 AM
I would think that if you took it in context, I find it funny that she really had nothing to do with Mexico per say because Spain was in control at the time. If you are going to complain about how history is being taught then put it in context. Really had nothing to do with her having a baby, it was about rugged individualism, something long forgot in America.

Orphaned at the age of fourteen and widowed at twenty-four, Jane Wilkinson Long led a long and hard life. But her independent and determined character earned for her the title "Mother of Texas."

Long was born Jane Wilkinson on July 23, 1798 in Charles County, Maryland. Her father died when she was less that one year old. In 1811, she moved with her mother to Mississippi Territory. When her mother died the following year, Jane went to live with her older sister near Natchez.

In early 1815, Jane met James Long, a physician who had come to Natchez following his participation as a surgeon at the Battle of New Orleans. By May of that year they were married and by November of the following year the couple had their first child.

By 1820, Jane had joined her husband at Bolivar Point, a peninsula opposite Galveston Island, where they established an outpost in an effort to help free Texas from Spanish rule.
When James Long left Bolivar Point on an excursion in September of 1821, Jane was expecting another child. She stayed behind and vowed to remain at the fort until his return. The plan failed, however, when James was and captured and later "accidentally" killed in Mexico City.

Unaware of her husband's fate, Jane steadfastly remained at Bolivar Point through the winter of 1821-1822. The few other inhabitants left the fort as supplies ran out. Along with a twelve year old servant and her six year old daugthter, Jane stubbornly survived on dwindling supplies of corn meal, salted fish and osyters scavanged from the bay. As Jane later reported, the trio kept nearby Indians at a safe distance by a ruse designed to give the illusion that the fort was still protected by soldiers. On December 21 in an ice covered tent, Jane gave birth to Mary James Long.

Jane's ordeal ended the following March when a friend of her husband persuaded her to leave Bolivar Point. And after a few years, she began a remarkable comeback.

By 1832, Long opened a successful hotel in Brazoria, then a primary port for newly arriving emigrants. The hotel soon became a focal point for social and political activities in Texas. In 1835 when Stephen Austin returned from eighteen months of imprisonment in Mexico, a dinner and ball was held at her hotel in his honor.

Throughout her long and active life in Texas, Jane became the object of many admirers and some would-be suitors. These included no less notable Texans than Ben Milam, William Travis, Stephen Austin, Sam Houston and Mirabeau Lamar. She rejected all offers of matrimony, however, and died a widow of James Long on December 30, 1880.

Jane Long is buried at Richmond, Texas. On her gravestone is inscribed "Mrs. Jane H. Long, The Mother of Texas."

Wilkinson was nicknamed "Mother of Texas" because she gave birth at Bolivar Peninsula on December 21, 1821. She claimed to be the first English-speaking woman to bear a child in Texas, but U.S. Censuses from 1807-1826 would reveal many children born in Texas to Anglo-American mothers.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 55
Posted: 5/14/2010 12:18:31 PM
I think it's a sign of no character. Most of the other stuff they bloviate about is a sign of a second rate mind unable to make connections. Most of the things they hate about America is as a result of government, and their solution is more government, huh?

Meanwhile George Bush is still off destroying Europe. It was a falsehood when Obumbler and you libtards were supporting this amateur for pResident as it is today. You've got bloated governments, deadwood union slugs destroying everything they touch.

You should watch this movie, it's coming very soon to California.

PS if you think I'm being unduly harsh go review the things said about Bush over the past 10 years and you'll see I am being temperate. You trashed an otherwise very decent man, as you did with Reagan, Bork and dozens of otherwise fine people.
 GolfCoast
Msg: 56
Posted: 5/14/2010 2:04:26 PM
Thinking perhaps you will list for me the reversals of Bush policies Obumbler has made, and briefly the result of these changes.

The way I see it Obumbler has 90% continued everything Bush started, the few things he's done on his own have created havoc, 10% unemployment, trillion dollar debt runup, 4x's the deficit. Turkey is nuking up with Russian help, Syria is nuking up same. Iran has thumbed their nose at Obumbler and the Russians support them. BP has given ObaMao more money than any politician, and he waived all sorts of environmental guidelines to favor them, check the gulf yawn.

In addition I can't imagine a country more polarized, frankly I wouldn't spit on an Obama supporter if they were on fire, split the country.

I know you libs don't actually think, you kinda feel your way around life like some sort of Star Trek parasitical emotion feeders, but stretch yourself.
 213history
Msg: 57
Posted: 5/14/2010 5:36:20 PM
"Frankly I think the victim mentality holds people back from reaching their potential. Instead of complaining, they need to take responsibility for their own lives.

Reverse racism is STILL racism. Frankly blaming white people is a sign of a weak character. "

Perhaps there is a victim mentality because proof of victimization exists? The few examples listed clearly show groups of people held from reaching their potential.

In order to solve any problem requires evaluation and analyzing the data. Dismissing a group of their grievances without considering the data is a sign of weak character and hints towards superiority.
 213history
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/14/2010 6:04:51 PM
"Discounting people's sincere charitable intentions as white guilt is another form of racism. I don't feel guilty in the least. I worked full time and went to college full time so I could pay the tution. I didn't even apply for any grant money, I wanted to make it on my own."

Haiti was the poorest nation in the Western Hemisphere long before its disaster. Where were these charitable donations then? In my opinion, the funds raised represent an indirect sense of guilt.

Your college experience simply shows superiority ( similiar to the "Queen Bee" syndrome) and lack of consideration towards changing times. Do you think a high school graduate can easily find and earn enough to pay today’s tuition?

Here is an article regarding CSU tuitions:

Today, the odds are stacked against a widowed waitress buying a home, much less sending three kids to college. Do the math:

In 1964, my tuition at CSU was $50 per semester, which took my mother less than a week - 38 hours - to make at $1.30 an hour (about $2,600 per year). In 1965, a family of four living at the poverty level of $3,130 spent 3.2 percent of its household income for a son or daughter to attend CSU for a year.

Today, a minimum-wage earner making $6.75 an hour ($13,500 a year) must work 5.6 weeks - 225 hours - to write a $1,516 check for one semester of tuition. A family of four at the poverty level of $19,350 per year must spend 15.7 percent of its household income to pay for a year's tuition at CSU. Even community college now costs 2.7 percent of a poor family's yearly income.

California's minimum wage may have increased fivefold over the past 40 years, but CSU tuition mushroomed by a factor of 30 during the same period.

Even worse, our state and national political leaders seem intent on slamming the doors to higher education

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's proposal to forgo tuition increases for a year will not undo the compact he forced on the CSU and University of California The University of California has a combined student body of more than 191,000 students, over 1,340,000 living alumni, and a combined systemwide and campus endowment of just over $7.3 billion (8th largest in the United States). that allows tuition increases of up to 10 percent per year until 2011.
Show ALL Forums  > California  >