Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 singleagain66
Msg: 8
Have you ever ended a good relationship when someone else walked into your life?Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
November_babee people will do alot of thing for no reason so to leave something good for no reason is something nobody will understand
 verygreeneyez
Msg: 9
Have you ever ended a good relationship when someone else walked into your life?
Posted: 1/26/2010 1:58:32 PM

I'm not talking about a relationship that was on the rocks, or you were dating for just a couple of months. I mean you were solid.

I've never been solid and left a door open for someone else to walk through. Come to think of it, in the past nearly 20 years, I've never left a relationship that wasn't "on the rocks" for any reason. I think it's important to remember, just because one party thinks things are solid, doesn't mean both parties will see it the same way. Why would someone leave a healthy relationship for another option? I dunno know, my guess is that it isn't as "solid" as perceived by those not in said relationship. JMO
 Thunderstruck29
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Have you ever ended a good relationship when someone else walked into your life?
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:12:06 PM
No,
But I have stayed in crappy relationships with middle age flakes when I would have been better off leaving them to get into a new relationship with somebody more stable.
 ChancesRMD
Msg: 12
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:16:35 PM
I had a friend I knew for a very long time. (decades) That's important because I had the opportunity to know him through several relationships including his marriage.

This guy left his wife and 2 serious relationships because of his ego. He regretted losing each one of them and they ended up living the Happily Ever After fairytale.
So basically his weakness was needing his ego fed more than his wife or g/f's could provide.

I've known women like that too, but not well enough to know if they cut loose someone they really cared about because of it. Only that they craved attention from as many different people as possible. I'm sure it could at least cause a strain on the existing relationship.
 OutMind
Msg: 14
Posted: 1/26/2010 2:42:00 PM
I don't buy it. One thing is to SAY that you have a solid, committed relationship and another is to ACTUALLY be that committed relationship. So if someone elopes, it simply means that there were huge problems under the surface, either in the relationship, or the person that suddenly eloped. When people are in a committed relationship, where they have clearly stated what it all about, where there is an even sense of give and take this should have not happened.
 packagedealx3
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Posted: 1/26/2010 3:41:15 PM
I don't know that much about the specifics but a colleague of my mothers left her husband for another man when previous to this man they had been happy. Although it sounds awful, she divorced him because she felt strongly about the man and would not have an affair.

Her husband waited for quite a while, wanting to reconcile. The sad part of it, the new relationship tanked and by the time she was interested in reconciling he had moved on.

I assumed that she met this man, I imagine he pursued her (knowing how she is I don't see her spying him and throwing herself at him, but my conjecture), after being married some years the attention and butterflies led her to believe that she was in love with new guy, and perhaps she was.

I think it is the main reason that men seem to give for cheating. They had been in a marriage for X amount of time, people take the SO for granted, then someone comes along that thinks you are better than sliced bread and you want more of it. I don't know at what point you forget that you used to feel that way about the spouse and rather than dumping the SO, you should figure out how to fall in love again.
 northerndreamer
Msg: 16
Posted: 1/26/2010 4:07:38 PM
When I've been in a solid relationship, I don't leave myself open to that possibility. There will always be someone else who is interesting and exciting but if my relationship is solid, why would I leave it? Unless it's not so solid.

The only other reason to leave it is because it's the kid in the candy shop syndrome. Kinda like POF. Immaturity to think you can get better. You usually end up with nothing.
 Frybreadpower
Msg: 18
Posted: 1/26/2010 10:25:20 PM
All I know is "if it ain't broke don't fix it". Anybody who is thinking about getting out of a relationship is in the wrong relationship. If two people in an LTR love each other, and if they share the same goals for that relationship, then that should be enough to keep them together. As far as that article goes, it sounds interesting.
 CommonSensible
Msg: 20
Posted: 1/26/2010 10:40:29 PM
You ARE naive.. NO SANE MAN ends a "GOOD" relationship.

and.. REAL men will not be tempted by the fantasy hottie either.. WHEN he is in a good relationship.

GOOD is the operative word. So is REAL MAN.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  >