Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bsp71
Msg: 34
Killer Triceps excercises.. What's your fave?Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
I like dips, French Presses and close grip bench presses to build and tone triceps.
Machines and silly pushdowns are a joke to build serious tris.
 ImJayZee
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Killer Triceps excercises.. What's your fave?
Posted: 2/4/2010 6:07:09 PM

I like dips, French Presses and close grip bench presses to build and tone triceps.
Machines and silly pushdowns are a joke to build serious tris.

If I had to pick between free weight compounds or machine isolations, I agree. But if I could do both, well...I still somewhat agree, lol. Mainly because our bodies evolved do compound movements(not speaking of exercises). But I like the occasional isolation exercise in there as an addition for a different stimulus.
 jaqi
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Posted: 2/13/2010 9:44:55 AM
How are you getting on with those triceps Icicle Eyes?
 stayfit4life
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/18/2010 8:59:39 AM
P90X has an awesome one called Side-Tri-Rise and it really works your tris.
 metalpalace
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/18/2010 4:20:16 PM
My fave tricep exercise is the good ole body weight tricep dip on olympic rings
 metalpalace
Msg: 39
Posted: 2/18/2010 7:59:40 PM

Am I weird for liking Push-Ups and doing 50 military reps and the another 50 3 mins afterwards?

No I'm not gloating, I just wanna know if anybody else does this as I am trying to break further past my bench limit at the mo which is just over my body weight and this is a good technique I am enjoying along with other things.

Take a shorter rest after your first set of fifty so you're doing less on your second set. Doing two sets of fifty doesn't have a functional purpose any longer.
 metalpalace
Msg: 43
Posted: 2/20/2010 7:14:54 AM

Well if Stamina is your goal then go for it. But please don't stand in front of the mirror and shadow box with the dumbells in your tap out shirt everytime a big guy walks by, well actually do. We find it very amusing and often take search for a cell phone to take a pic. of you guys and post it on our favorite boards so the rest can have a good laugh too. Cheers.

Are you trying to make up for having a small pee pee? Say something useful or go home
 ~~BP~~
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2010 8:13:21 AM
No one with any credibility in the fitness community judges someone else's success against their OWN goals.
 metalpalace
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/20/2010 8:17:01 AM

No one with any credibility in the fitness community judges someone else's success against their OWN goals.

Amen
 Lineitup
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/21/2010 3:57:56 AM
After the obvious bench press (believer in focusing on compounds, not isolations), I would have to say the ole tri pulldown extensions using the rope attachment. It's very comfortable and makes you work to keep upright. I like it because it doesn't feel like I'm burning up my CNS that I'm trying to rest for my next full body workout.

I've learned that you're better off training your whole body to trigger more growth overall. Working your legs along with arms will net more arm growth (and thus tightness). Of course you can't do this while eating salads all the time.
 Land008
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/24/2010 9:36:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ02QXFuWFc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myNa7Pn6WgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZklqrE3B30
These weight training videos are amazing, I benefited greatly from it and would recomend it to anyone.
 jaqi
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 2/25/2010 12:21:43 PM
land008 ... I do those ones from vicsnatural... I include the ones in this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZklqrE3B30 before every tricep exercise in my workout plan and have really noticed a difference in my tri's AND I really get a burn with them...usually have to do a few negatives at the end, when I have gone to failure, by just helping my arm back up! Highly recommend them but I said that earlier in this thread.... glad someone else agrees.
 Land008
Msg: 51
Posted: 2/28/2010 9:04:34 AM
Thanks for the brain feed, I will take your recomendation and implement it in my next workout.
I didn't read through the whole thread for it was late, haha.
Thanks again!!
 mickeymowss
Msg: 52
Posted: 2/28/2010 1:47:10 PM
try exercise prescription (dot) net
they have tons of ideas and routines for everyone! haha
but for triceps the best is just push-ups, just burn them out, basics are best!
keep at it you!
 PrinceCharmingsCousin
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/1/2010 6:16:32 AM
For once Swirl and I agree.

If you just want to SEE your triceps more, and have less flab, cardio and diet, and push-ups could do (although you could really use any tricep exercises to be honest)
 Shurite
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/3/2010 10:00:53 PM
Best to work the entire body with just a couple exercises.

I could give you a workout but it would be so simple you would not do it. :-)
 Paul_David
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/16/2010 11:16:46 PM
I normally do triceps on the same day that I do my chest, since the triceps are worked during bench press. After working out my chest, my favorite tricep exercises are:
*Dips (3 sets of 8-12 reps)
*Lat pull downs ( 3 sets of however many reps)
*Kick backs (3 sets of 12-20 reps for isolation and definition)
 brettmx
Msg: 56
view profile
History
Posted: 3/17/2010 1:01:33 PM
what you notice in those clips is how strict he is with his form (keeping his elbows fixed) and that he really squeezes at the end, plus he controls the negative.

I see more people at the gym doing both tricep and bicep exercises with their elbows (pivot point) making huge arcs. Try and keep the elbow fixed- maybe at the end of the set a little arc to get in the last couple of reps. And control the negative, just don't drop the weight "out of the sky".

There was a comment about dumbell kickbacks and how they are least effective. I'm not going to say that movement is super great but the reason why so many get so little out of the exercise is because it's very hard to hold your elbow in a fixed position, plus it takes a lot of shoulder strength as well. That's why I tend to do cable kickbacks (if I'm going to do kickbacks), it's a bit easier to keep the form correct.
 brettmx
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 2:11:46 PM
I consider kickbacks more of finishing exercise/target movement, not a strength exercise. I don't want to bum you out but it's not all about pushing a ton of weight to get the kind of results most people are looking for- better definition, some size increase, along with greater strength . You just need to break the muscle down- in some combination of weight/reps/movement. I think a lot of it really depends on the individuals physiology as to what combination works best.
 brettmx
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 7:12:51 PM
I was just re-reading your post. Do you know how heavy a 225 lb close grip bench press is for the mere mortal?. That is a ton of weight. Heck, 135 is heavy. Maybe from your perspective everyone should be pushing the big boy weights but that isn't what most of us can do- or want to do. Call us pussies whatever. Think more about what the average person who just wants to be more fit should think about when going to the gym. The answer to that is correct form, appropriate resistance (enough to break down the muscle but not too much to cause injury), variety of exercises per body part, and consistency.
 Jono_1986
Msg: 61
Posted: 3/19/2010 1:53:08 AM
I wouldn't say 225lb is excessive for a man of an average build ie high 5 foot to 6 foot flat range and 180-200lbs in body weight. I have been benching for 2-3 months well more regularly then I used to and have gone from 110lbs to 185lbs, it would be my hope that within the next 2-3 months I'd be benching close to 100kg or 220lbs.

I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary, simply lift regularly up the weight when you feel comfortable and eat lots of protein. I'm not saying it has been easy but it is far from out of the realms of reality for the average person.

If you weigh 160-180lbs and can do bodyweight pushups then 110lb bench is about the same from my experience.
 brettmx
Msg: 62
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2010 7:42:52 AM
He's talking about a {close grip} bench press which works mainly the tricep. You basically grip the bar with your hands much closer together- hence close grip, than a regular bench press and press the weight up contracting your triceps. There is probably some examples on Youtube. Anyway, with your hands in the proper position your arms kinda form a triangle when the bar is lowered to your chest and then you press up trying to keep your elbows facing outward.

I won't even comment about the 400#s, although I like to see it, or see what his form actually looks like.
 MakeYouSmile26
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 3/19/2010 10:16:02 AM

simply lift regularly up the weight when you feel comfortable and eat lots of protein.

So much protien :( doubling my protien intake got me through my 145 bench plato
 Sweet_Le_Senza
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 12:56:55 PM

Wow... talk about a thread hijack.

Agreed! He's quite full of himself actually!
 *pisceseyes
Msg: 67
Posted: 3/22/2010 10:42:45 PM
Push ups- bring your hands together in a triangular shape with your 2 index fingers and thumbs meeting and dip down repeatedly, you'll feel the burn in the triceps ..no weights
Show ALL Forums  > Health Wellness  >