Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Don't tell me what to wear!@#$      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 peacefulsoulmate
Msg: 1
Don't tell me what to wear!@#$Page 3 of 2    (1, 2)
I am sure I am not the only one who this happens to but it makes me so mad!@#$
Have you had someone you are going on a date with ask you to wear something sexy?
For god sakes, I think this is so rude....DO NOT tell me what to wear, let me decide this for myself. I think this is so damn rude why do men do this?? Do women actually agree? I know men are visual but seriously nothing ticks me off more than a man telling me what to wear. Has this happened to you? What is this about?? Help!
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 3
Don't tell me what to wear!@#$
Posted: 1/28/2010 9:33:28 PM

Have you had someone you are going on a date with ask you to wear something sexy?

It's never happened to me for a first "meet" but for a "date", yes it has.

Do women actually agree?

Yes, I have worn something sexy if requested. I take it as flirting and indicating they were attracted to me and that they wanted me to look sexy for them on that date and it was going to be a fun evening because he was going to be attentive and I was going to be making him happy by looking sexy just for him.

What is this about??

It meant that he is attracted to me and he wants me to be sexy just for him.

It meant I was going to have a fun night and he was going to take me somewhere great.

I've asked dates to wear things that I like on them. Haven't you ever said "wear the black shirt, I like it on you". What's the big deal?
 mcalgary
Msg: 4
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 10:05:13 PM
I would think it would depend on what date it is and where you may be going. I definantly wouldn't tell someone to dress "sexy". I would think it would be a bit slimy.
 mcalgary
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 1/28/2010 10:07:13 PM
As to whether or not anyone has told me to wear something. It has happened many times, usually just telling me what they are wearing and to dress up or dress down. Never on any first dates though. Only when we were getting serious.
 You go first
Msg: 6
Posted: 1/28/2010 11:15:35 PM
That's hilarious! If some guy ever said that to me, I'd laugh and say, "Sure, I'll wear a halter and miniskirt, you wear a thong and a tube top. Halfway through the night we'll swap."
 punem264
Msg: 7
Posted: 1/29/2010 12:52:16 AM
Yes OP, I had someone ask me to wear something sexy on the first coffee meet, I said I will wear what I want to wear. Because of that, I never met the person. What does that tell ya?
 treselle
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2010 9:35:11 AM
An older guy told me about a 22 year old hooker he would bring to fine restaurants. She always looked sexy and that every man in a restaurant desired her. Appearently, that is what he wanted - to be seen with a sexy girl every man wants to do . The guy you dated seemed to want the same.
 unleashed27
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 1/29/2010 10:18:53 AM

Gauging the degree of resentment over such insignificant matter in the negative comments above I am not surprised you are single

INSIGNIFICANT MATTER??? surely you jest! Are you still single? lol

A few years ago I was asked on a first date by a guy I had been chatting with online as well as on the phone. I thought I knew him pretty well. When he called me the morning of the date just to confirm the details, he asked me to wear high heals and black stockings. My thought was "Is this going to made a difference in how well we will get along and if WE feel like going on a second date?"

I went on to explain to him that I could not wear heals, as I had recently had a knee surgery and was much more comfortable in flat heels for the time being. Also, I am very uncomfortable in stockings as it makes my feet swell. (geesh, it happens!!!)

So, after a few minutes of chatting he announces that he just remembered that he had promised to take his daughter to a movie and could we take a rain check? I never heard from him again.

That being said, if there is a special reason that I needed to dress up (eg, if he was surprising me and we were going to an opera or somewhere else where it is mandatory to dress formally) that would be a different story. But he better tell me that I need to dress up because we are going somewhere special!
 Mon Cherie
Msg: 11
Posted: 1/29/2010 3:26:50 PM
Not directed at anyone here but sometimes I think people are just way too worried everyone is trying to control them that they overanalyze everything.

we also do not know if this was a first date or if you have been dating for a while and what was the plan for the date

That pretty much makes the whole difference on what my reaction would be.

First meeting - totally inappropriate - would cancel
First date - inappropriate
Dating a while and in an exclusive relationship - could have a "fun" innuendo

I had a potential internet date tell me to dress elegantly! What does that tell you Without having met him …lol

That would have told me he was taking me somewhere really nice. What did you think he meant?

Walts
Msg: 13
Posted: 1/30/2010 4:34:52 AM
I rarely like to tell my date what to wear,,,thou I have been known to request that some apparel be removed on occasion. That one doesn't go over to well either with some.
 You go first
Msg: 15
Posted: 1/30/2010 3:26:01 PM
"Wear something sexy"... for me, that's anything I put on, baby.

If I'm going to go out with someone I'll ask "where are we going" so I'll know what to wear. Jeez. How hard can this be?

"Wear something sexy" ... again, the perfect opportunity for a smartass sarcastic comment that guys seem to think is the ultimate form of humour. Use it.
 Ed Bear
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2010 1:40:41 PM
First I must say that I have in fact made clothing suggestions to people when planning meetings. Specifically, I often warn people what sort of clothes are inappropriate for motorcycling, such as flip-flops (they melt or fly off), shorts (pebbles can hurt and the pipes can burn a careless leg in dismounting) and skirts (actually, lots of people wear skirts on motorcycles but it takes care and the right skirt).

But I never tell people what to wear to please ME. Not even when asked, as in "does this dress make you stupid enough to reply when I ask if it makes me look fat?"

On the other hand, I DO often get told how I should dress or style myself, almost always from people in the process of telling me they don't want to know me. Many seem upset I don't wear "casual" sloppy rags. I don't wear short sleeves, T-shirts or jeans or cowboy hats, and if people tell me that's what they want I'm hardly motivated to change for them. I also get told to cut off my hair, which has obviously been with me long enough that I want to keep it as long as I can.

Maybe this is that old stereotype of men wanting women to stay the same and women wanting to change men?

Oddly, I even get clothes complaints from those only seeking "Activity Partner" or "Friends." Is it that important in such circumstances?
ED BEAR
 Walts
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/1/2010 3:47:48 PM

Some are very disrespectful in their slobbish dress on dates.

Yet,,,we as men should take advice on how we should look from the opposite gender????? (not picking on the writer of these words,,,just the gender)

Funny how,,,,more than once in my life I have received compliments and critical assesment from a female because of what "I" decided to wear,,,yet here,,,,we find out women don't like being "told" what they should wear when going out with a man. Hmmmmmm.

Kinda ironic,,,no?????? Actually,,,not ironic,,,just azzbackwards.
 Walts
Msg: 18
Posted: 3/1/2010 4:02:59 PM
No apples and oranges here. More than once I have been TOLD that I should be wearing a tie,,,,a suit,,,,or whatever. My mommy and daddy gave up on that one by the time I was 12,,,,my ex,,,never learnt.

So I have been TOLD,,,but so was the one doing the telling. I just wasn't so polite about it.
 Walts
Msg: 19
Posted: 3/1/2010 4:31:26 PM

You ignored the part where my solution wasn't to order a man about, but simply to stop seeing them. If someone doesn't dress the way I like I dump him not boss him.

Actually I didn't "ignore" it at all,,,just left it out,,,kinda like the place where ya live. Not a place I would consider were "fashion" is high on the spectrum I will now point it out(since you brought it up again) that you decided on whom you hang around by the the choice of what they wear on their backs. And dat,,,,girls is MY point.
 samadongshi2
Msg: 20
Posted: 3/1/2010 10:23:44 PM
i ALWAYS dress ALL sexed out!!
u tell me what to wear and i say the same thing right back at u!
 rockondon
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 2:31:10 AM
Before entering this thread, I felt that the idea of asking a date to wear something sexy would have been inappropriate. I might have said that I'm taking her somewhere where casual (or formal) clothing would be appropriate. But now that I see the reactions on this thread - asking a girl to wear something sexy might be a good question after all. If she blows a simple flirty comment like that out of proportion, then she's way too anal-retentive for me.
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > Don't tell me what to wear!@#$