Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would you support a "neutral" language movement?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 A1_GOLD
Msg: 28
view profile
History
Would you support a neutral language movement?Page 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I like English.

Not like German, no DER DIE and DAS Nouns [Male Female and 'IT' Nouns].

Never could get my head around German's reasoning for Gender nouns.

Hebrew is much worse, the langyage is gender specific, you can tell the gender of the person speaking by the gender of the words used.
 VoidDancer
Msg: 29
Would you support a neutral language movement?
Posted: 2/3/2010 9:25:21 AM
I wouldn’t have supported the idea of one language.

After watching this video … I tend to change my mind …
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSmkcn1hJWI&feature=player_embedded
I watched this interview with Klaus Dona a spiritual archaeologist. He mentions that he has seen and examined artifacts from different continents, indicting the possibility of a worldwide language that existed before Babylon and the Great Flood.

Now I suspect the creation of a one worldwide language is the correct direction to move in … I prefer the development of telepathic communication … but … one doesn’t out rule the other. We don't have to eliminate the current languages being used today.

Just a few thoughts on it ...

EnJoy your day … Love and Peace
 granz
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/6/2010 10:20:27 PM

What the OP is proposing is another layer to politically correct speach, nothing less.

I'm not proposing anything. This is a philosophical question -- would you think such an evolution of language is necessary, and beneficial? Could you practically make changes to your own speech, in spite of other people speaking differently? These do not represent my personal views or ideas.

I agree that imposing politically-correct speech is harmful. We should start by not relabeling same-sex marriage as "civil unionship" to avoid offending the sensitivies of Conservatives. Don't you agree? PC speech at its worst, when it comes to branding people as second-rate citizens.
 slybandit
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/10/2010 1:20:32 PM
In response to granz:

Actually, here in Quebec where I am writing, we have both civil unions and same-sex marriage.

And people of different sexes (or genders, if you prefer, given the topic of this thread) can opt for civil unions if they prefer.

So viewing it as an issue of avoiding offense to conservatives is a very U.S. perspective.

A civil union is in some respects a better idea, as the parties in it can write a large number of the rules of their relationship themselves, rather than having the government impose them as a matter of law.

We also do not impose "common law spouse" status on anyone merely because they have lived with someone for a given period of time.

And we have a very longstanding tradition of allowing spouses to opt out of 50/50 sharing of all property on divorce in their marriage contracts.

But then, we also have a provincial government that taxes us on the taxes that we remit to the Federal government. So pick your poison, I suppose.
 Uncle Fist
Msg: 32
Posted: 2/10/2010 6:08:35 PM
Seems like a highly unnecessary waste of time.
 GGarbo
Msg: 33
Posted: 2/11/2010 2:47:13 AM
Different does not equate to disparaging. These are discriptive terms and pretty much every language has feminine and masculine words in it so good luck with redefining all languages.

I think this a "worried well" issue. People who are doing ok are so bored without any survival challenges they are looking for things to worry over.
 Gideon_70
Msg: 34
Posted: 2/12/2010 5:45:41 PM
I will not only NOT support such a movement, I will oppose it wholeheartedly. I think it's childish, pedantic, pathetic and irrational. The folks that think this stuff up have too much time on thier hands, and are scary.
 Gideon_70
Msg: 35
Posted: 2/12/2010 5:49:29 PM
Oh, and stewardess is still a stewardess, a waitress is still a waitress.

Know why?

It sounds funny saying Serveress in a restaurant, and flight attendantess in a plane.

We used to use the term s/he in the army. I use it to describe men that cannot make up thier minds on thier gender. She/he/it.
 yna6
Msg: 36
Posted: 2/17/2010 7:20:47 AM
The French would never support such a ludicrous idea...therefore, by the "not withstanding clause", this debate is over! French has spoken!
 acuddler
Msg: 37
Posted: 2/17/2010 6:16:13 PM
Get a life. Better to abolish those who seek to abolish gender specifics. Why not go a step further? Revamp all spelling rules to be the same in every situation. Learn to spell 'fish' "photi"...the F sound of PHotography, the I sound of wOmen, and the SH sound of naTIon...photi = fish. Of course, it would take a major revamping of schools, textbooks, etc, which would require all things new, meaning major TAX INCREASES...but what the hey? As long as some dummy somewhere gets a kick out of it...why not?
 tehconfused
Msg: 38
Posted: 2/18/2010 3:53:40 PM
If you simplify language you remove the beauty of its uniqueness.

Try reading a book and imagine all the different words that have multiple meanings stripped down to basics and used over and over. I wouldn't find the book too exciting personally.
 LeCutter
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/5/2010 4:06:47 PM
Wow, OP lay off the pot, and the rampant liberal feel good PC stupidity as well.

Language only works when it has specifics for things.

It's like a group of men and women milling around and me nudging my friend and saying 'Wow, look at it. It's really hot isn't it?' and him trying to figure out who the **** I'm talking about.

I love broads, chicks, dames, gals, girls and their vag, snapper, clam, pink taco, etc. I like being a guy, dude, bro, brah, bruh, homey,**** ***hole, etc. I would so mock the shit out of you if I ever met you and you proposed such an asinine idea.
 LeCutter
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:14:46 PM
Hey man, let me tell you something about racism/bigotry. You can cut down the tree, but the roots run pretty deep. It's in the genes, not trusting that which is different from you. It's a survival mechanism. Tigers are cute, but there's a reason we tend to head the opposite way when we encounter one in the wild.
 kechjo
Msg: 41
Posted: 3/11/2010 7:31:31 PM
In Esperanto, there's a movement called Riism. Basically, it introduces the gender-neutral third-person personal pronoun ri (which is redundant, because ĝi is already gender-neutral, but some grammarians think it should only be used for inanimate object) and making all male nouns gender-neutral (e.g. changing "patro" from meaning "father" to "parent"). Riism hasn't gotten very far among the majority of Esperanto speakers, and I don't think a similar movement in English would have any more success.

I try not to use gender-specific pronouns in English and Esperanto. Of course, you have to languages with grammatical gender, like German and Spanish (the only such languages I've studied).
 kechjo
Msg: 42
Posted: 3/11/2010 7:33:51 PM
Stewardess? I think you mean "flight attendant." :)
 JP1111
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/11/2010 11:22:24 PM
A gender-neutral pronoun, are you serious? What would that serve and for what purpose? The English language has already been established and trying to change it NOW would be fairly unfeasible.

New words keeping track with society and old words that are no longer being used fine but, I really don’t believe that society would want to change the way they naturally speak.

Besides, we who speak French already use masculine and feminine genders for every single thing out there… AND the exceptions… the millions that do exist.

So as an English speaking society, I would focus much more time on actually learning the language you do have and especially, writing it with no mistakes… have you seen the stuff on this site?... good grief.

Et pour les francophones dites-moi, “espace”, est-ce masculin ou féminin? PAS le droit de tricher! Pas besoin d’afficher votre réponse car, nul sais si je la recevrai. C’était juste pour vous faire penser un instant!

En pensant, le mot espace est féminin.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Would you support a "neutral" language movement?