Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Car door lock freezing      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 7
view profile
History
Car door lock freezingPage 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I found that by merely moving 1000 miles south, many of the problems with winter were greatly reduced.
 TooShadows
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/1/2010 3:55:54 PM
This is a problem that can persist because the moisture in the lock just melts and re-freezes. If possible,park it somewhere warm like a heated garage or parking garage for a while so that the moisture dries up. If this isn't possible try hooking up an electric heater inside your vehicle overnight or preferably for a weekend. Just crack the window a bit to let moisture out.
 mysteriosa
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/1/2010 5:03:22 PM
Wow, thanks for the suggestions! I wasn't expecting such a brilliant response.

I think I may well try to get some of the grease stuff as I think there is something damp in there that is freezing and refreezing after being thawed out. My car is not young, a Honda Civic, so it doesn't have remote starting - pity.

I don't know where to get one of the key gadgets but no doubt I'll see them everywhere when I no longer need them.

I managed this morning by heating up a wheat-filled fluffy penguin thing designed to be warmed in a microwave. I then held it against the lock and hoped it wouldn't damage the paintwork. It worked, took about 5 minutes. I did get some odd looks from passing drivers.

Moving 1,000 miles south seems the best option. Just need to find a handsome man who lives 1,000 miles further south than me ...

Seriously, thanks for all your help. :)
 singleagain66
Msg: 10
Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/1/2010 5:16:08 PM
Well that did happen to me one time when I was in NYC one very very cold and windy night and I had a remote to open my door. Well I got the door open but as you know some cars has alarms that has to be turned off with the key in the door. So this is what I did I went in the store I was at and got some really nice hot water and pour on the door and it worked. So in your case if your home poor some hot water on the door to get it open then go get it checked out. But the best solution is put the car in the garage if you have one since you didn't say you did or not and if it still sticks then hey you got problems.
 mysteriosa
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/3/2010 4:28:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't think I'll be replacing any window mouldings myself. I'd never get it all back together again. I know my limits. I've got some spray-in lithium grease which I'm trying. The lock is definitely much smoother, so now I just wait and see how it copes with a freezing night.
 Twill348
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/3/2010 5:46:38 PM
I have had good luck with Tri-Flow, a teflon lube.
 platypus_man
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/4/2010 2:32:18 AM
Easy hot key is simply a key without a chip in it that fits into the keyhole. Get a butane 'torch' lighter (not a cheap bic), heat the key with the tip of the flame which is the hottest point (best to hold the key with pliers throughout the whole operation here!), insert key into lock, leave in for about 30 seconds to a minute. Depending on how iced the mechanism is, it may take several attempts to melt the ice inside to where you can easily turn the lock, because that means all the parts are now open to lubrication that will follow. If your lock's still stiff, you may have difficulty lubricating ALL the parts inside. Then yes, as the previous post mentioned, squirt Tri-flow (old brand name is, yes, Tri-flon, some still on the shelves) into the mechanism until it literally pours out, you can try to seal the key way with your fingers to force the stuff into the key mechanism. I've done this with many vehicles over the years, and never had a repeat frozen lock ( I usually keep my cars about 8 years). Yes, you can just use the heated key to get the car open, but if you do not do the follow up maintenance procedure, you're in for another frozen lock eventually.
 mysteriosa
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/4/2010 11:02:41 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The lighter trick seems a good idea too, but main problem there was I couldn't get a key into the lock at all. I'll let you know if the lithium grease does the trick. Now I just need a really cold night ... :(
 MrLove45
Msg: 15
view profile
History
Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/6/2010 8:55:24 AM
I sure hope you dont have a Toyota
 mysteriosa
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Car door lock freezing
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:08:58 PM
Well, the lock seems to have survived a freezing night or two. I've had no problems unocking it since I poured in the lithium grease. I've realised that melting snow tends to pour down the window of the car and straight into the gap between the window and door (and presumably into the locking mechanism). The poster who mentioned a leak somewhere really knows his stuff. Thanks for all suggestions, they've been brilliant. Just thought I'd let you know what seems to be working now, especially as it's likely to be very topical both here and in the US!
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  > Car door lock freezing