Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Everything happens for a reason?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 JP1111
Msg: 39
Everything happens for a reason?Page 5 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
Thanks so much once again for all your inout!

pencildot, I think you and I see things similarly on certain things but I would be more precise in what you said…

I do think things happen for a reason because of cause and effect so, things will happen because something else cause it to happen. But, regardless of it happening, it is what it is.

Things in life can be learning experiences if you choose to see them as such. Everything that happens in life is indeed part of growing older and you can choose to see as just that or, you can look at what’s happened and ask yourself if there is something there that you can learn.
 JustDukky
Msg: 40
Everything happens for a reason?
Posted: 2/7/2010 9:26:25 PM

Things in life can be learning experiences if you choose to see them as such.

ALL things in life ARE learning experiences. The choice is whether or not we learn from them.
 aremeself
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 2/7/2010 10:25:22 PM
That's a good write funcuz.

To believe that everything happens for a reason doesn't make any sense to a thinking realistic person whether they believe in a creator or not.

OK, it all depends what you mean by reason.

Like quiet john said, one thing happens, and then because of that, another thing happens.

Maybe I'm wrong again, but by reason, I think the OP would mean, super natural.
Well to believe that some one gets a shitty debilitating disease for some deities wish is just plain silly.

And by the way, God can't be involved in our worldly day to day affairs at the moment, or he ain't doing a very good job, being the creator of the universe and everything.

I mentioned it before that in the bible it talks about unforeseen circumstances. [sh[t happens]

Hey, it's not a very nice world right now.

Yeah, some SEEM to just float through life and then die.
Others, one pile of crape after another.
You can't take it personal, or you will go nuts.

By the way guys, don't wait for others to prove anything of importance, do it on your own.
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 42
Posted: 2/8/2010 8:08:05 AM
We are in control of our own destiny by the paths we choose to take in life.
Things don't just happen.
 rockondon
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Posted: 2/8/2010 3:25:23 PM
“Everything happens for a reason” is a concept that causes people all kinds of pain in a health care setting.
Like the OP says, things don't happen for a reason, they just happen.
 aremeself
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Posted: 2/14/2010 11:16:05 AM
hi mona, and everyone.

has anybody heard this one.

god appreciates hot or cold, like we sometimes do with certain foods or drinks.

some things don't taste the best at the lukewarm level, some almost to the point of being disgusting.

god said he would spit us out if we are lukewarm, so, if hitler in his heart, sincerely thought he was doing the right thing, I think he has a chance.

I think paul used to be a total bad boy. [saul, if I am not mistaken]
you can google anything yourself.
 kailania
Msg: 45
Posted: 2/22/2010 12:11:40 AM
yep, it will be 5771

this is giving me a headache with the bible stuff.
the bible is interpreted different ways.
to correctly interpret it,...one must use the original language.
which btw is not King James English or even close.

having faith in G-d however one sees G-d is always good. He loves us all.
why do these things happen? does G-d want them? or just allow them?
can we ever know?
i think we will not be able to know in this life time.
how can He be all good when innocents die and suffer?
i choose (choose) to believe He is good. and i just do not understand the rest.

what about those who do not believe that we have to accept Jesus?
what if i believe in Jesus but not that He is G-d or the son of G-d.
Jesus was a Jew.
paul changed the religion and made a new one.
albeit i say it is a great religion and it has helped so many people with life and to get closer to G-d
but every person has a soul and each persons soul has a certain path to take to get closer to G-d/
it is the SAME G-d. no matter what name we give to Him or Her or It.

i heard something once:
(some here have probably heard it)
that life is a tapestry of sorts.
we can see only one side of it.
later...when we pass from this earthly life into the next (whatever that may be)
then we will see the other side of the tapestry and understand why (why things happen as they do)

and please...i do not mean to disrespect anyones beliefs or offend anyone by saying
G-d can be Him Her or It.
i do not call call G-d either of those words because i believe that G-d cannot be defined or put into a box.
and religion puts G-d into a box. which is ok because it helps people relate to and believe in "Him"
no matter what G-d does exist.
 thecdcisreal
Msg: 46
Posted: 2/22/2010 9:07:44 AM
Admittedly, I have not read all four pages, however I think we are missing one key point to resolve this issue.

Once we define reason we realize there is no reason and every reason for an event to happen. No reason because reason is made up. We "reason" the existence of a reason. Because we reason the existence of reason, the reason can be anything that we reason it to be. And thus a reason is everything and nothing at once. It's all about perspective.
 JP1111
Msg: 47
Posted: 2/22/2010 2:47:48 PM
I love reading all the comments that are posted!

I can see and understand the comments made in reference to God but again, I simply choose to live my life in the reality and concrete facts and not in the reality of believing the reported past because many people believe it. I've come to see more and more as I grew up that when I'm told something, I like to kow that what I'm told is actually real, precise and factual and the whole idea of God fall no where near that circle since it revolves around books and what's taught and spread around.

I have had numerous conversations with religious followers (priests, nuns etc...) and our conversation always end up in the same place... “If you want to put your faith in what's been studied and documented, you can”. So of course with MY way of thinking, I choose not to and believe only in what is factual.

Hence why to me it is so simple why things happen... they do simply because they did; end of story! The moment you want to look beyond that and understand “why did that happen?”, that's where you enter a whole new dimension of YOUR beliefs.

So as much as I respect all the posted comments that incorporate God in the mix, “I” still just don't believe it but of course, others might. So more power to them!
 ryanrucker
Msg: 48
Posted: 2/22/2010 8:09:57 PM
so if there is no reason to reason.... is there a cause for effect or is that just a ''made up'' term we have created for identification and communication purposes.?
 JP1111
Msg: 49
Posted: 2/28/2010 10:46:13 AM
Appreciative9809, that is what I mean, I make a huge difference between what is factual and what people think to be factual.

If on the news it talks about Blacks robbing a store and shot someone, what would be the fact here?

That Blacks robbed and shot someone or that Blacks in general are a social stain on the fabric of society?

One may be tempted to think ill of Blacks but the fact here is that THOSE Black robbed and shot someone, PERIOD. Being part Black myself, I know how are often seen and judged and to me, that just makes me even more aware of how limiting we as a society tend to view things.

Melodic Euphoria, I could not agree with you more!!!!

I know that people who believe in God will believe that God is somehow behind all of it and is a part of his plan but for me, show me the proof and NOT what should be seen as the proof, i.e. a sunrise, sun set, life etc…
 xlr8ingmargo
Msg: 50
Posted: 2/28/2010 11:17:00 AM
It's about having faith, about believing in something greater than yourself, it's about living hope and dreaming... Like world peace for example~ Some dreams do come true, does failure stop man from striving to be more, or understanding the world around them? I don't go shoving my personal beliefs on anyone, but they are mine to have. I still believe we create our own destiny by our personal choices. We decide the roads to travel.
 JP1111
Msg: 51
Posted: 2/28/2010 12:05:58 PM
I completely agree that we create our own destiny by our personal choices! It is what we do that ultimately creates the reality we choose to have for ourselves. But at the same time, we can do those things because of faith or believing in something greater than yourself or, living hope and dreaming etc... but again, to me it`s a question of striving for what you want based on realistic and factual events.

I again make no qualms about not believing in that that cannot proven factually. To me, those things will be a nice way to look at life but even choosing to look at life in a nice way, it does not mean by far that it’s the whole story. I choose to look at the whole story and choose my next course of action.

Of course even if that is my way of thinking, I respect tremendously other ways of seeing various was of living life!
 ForeverLong
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 4:47:59 PM
That's what people like to say hoping something good will balance it out or even better. We know there is a cause and effect for everything, but we can't always determine the chain of events that led to the outcome.
 ryanrucker
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/2/2010 11:54:43 AM
marletsgo

having faith that the world will get better sounds like an excuse not to do anything about it. believing that the world won't get better unless we change or do something about it ourselves, gives us a reason to make a difference.

''does failure stop man from striving to be more,''~ no but ''Faith'' does
 JP1111
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/3/2010 10:09:11 PM

''does failure stop man from striving to be more,''~ no but ''Faith'' does[/ quote]

I would not agree with that… at all. I see that waiting for faith to work it’s magic and make everything much better and help us strive and no longer fail is simply believing in something that will not happen.

The only way to overcome failure and keep on striving is up to each person to look at what they did to make that failure be what it came to be.

If success is what is seeked, then it will have to be done again only this time with the lessons learned from the last time.

If one was to argue or mention that “that IS faith”, I would certainly ask to prove it.

Being one to believe what can be proven, I do no hide the fact that I am among the least religious people around since to believe in something, I want proof. And spirituality is far away from that. And no I do not believe that simply because it’s written in a book and millions of people believe it, to me that makes it proof.
 JP1111
Msg: 55
Posted: 3/9/2010 6:55:52 PM
Appreciative9809, the topic was religion? The topic really was “Everything happens for a reason?”. People’s replies has tended to make a link between the real topic and God so, who am I to disagree?

I agree with you that some things will never be proven since it ultimately comes down to how each one of us chooses to see life.

Yes, I do have beliefs! Of course they are unprovable until the come to “be what it is”.
 JP1111
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/10/2010 2:56:52 PM
I agree that people’s replies do tend to make a link between this topic and God and I for one, enjoy reading all about them!

I for one, regarding this topic, still see it as “it is what it is”. So why did something happen? Because it did!
 susxo
Msg: 57
Posted: 3/10/2010 7:43:29 PM
Not everything happens for a reason. I truly believe that some things are just ment to be, and believe it or not, certain things just fall into place... which become unexplainable. Things happened for a reason, only because reason is given.
 DameWrite
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 12/12/2012 6:56:12 PM
The reason "everything" happens, is because everything that needed to be in place for this to happen....was.
 normaldude
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 12/14/2012 5:00:06 PM
I wonder what the reason was for those 20 little kids to die at the hands of that madman? There is no plan or reason or destiny or anything else that our over active imaginations try to explain stuff..... Random stuff happens... sometimes good sometimes bad. Try to take care of each other and watch out for the lunatics.
 J_bird61
Msg: 60
Posted: 12/18/2012 6:10:48 PM
Perhaps the thought "everything happens for a reason" teaches an amount of acceptance. An all important item in the road to grief recovery.
And I mean for the events that happen that are terrible, horrific, unexplainable.
That's my best guess.
 Alieneggplant
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 12/19/2012 7:30:27 AM
I really think it's based on how you define "reason"

If you mean things happen as a result of a long line of events leading up to one moment then sure. Even changing one variable in the past can result in a drastically different present day. I'd say things happen at random based on an almost infinite amount of variables with an equal amount of outcomes

If by reason you mean towards some higher purpose then probably not.
The problem with our own understanding of our past is that we will fictionalize things that have happened. Oftentimes stories become embellished in an attempt to try and make sense of our current situation or some attempt to protect our egos.
 cspanther
Msg: 62
Posted: 12/27/2012 4:58:22 PM
As a former pastor turned atheist, I completely understand the source and appeal of this cliche.

It is an abbreviated expression of a biblical doctrine, specifically the notion that God is sovereign and governs all aspects of reality (i.e., everything that happens within the dimension of time) according to His will or design. From this perspective, all of the pain and suffering that characterizes life is part of God's grand plan; that is, it all happens for a reason: to fulfill God's plan (even if we can't fully understand how it all fits together in a cause-and-effect manner).

As part of His grand plan, all pain and suffering (i.e., everything bad that happens) possesses a positive, beneficial meaning. And if one's pain/suffering (whatever it happens to be) ultimately contributes to the fruition of God's plan (instead of just being trivial and random), it is less painful and causes less suffering. Pain that has a positive purpose reduces suffering, which is the primary emotional benefit of the belief that "everything happens for a reason." Hence its popularity.

Humans are animals. And although our rational capacity sets us apart from all other animals, we are still animals mainly motivated by primitive instincts, drives, and emotions. Our reason, then, serves our emotions--not visa versa. With that in mind, the cliche that everything happens for a reason remains one of the most widespread spiritual myths, not because it is logical, but precisely because it is illogical.
 Aristotle_Amadopolis
Msg: 63
Posted: 12/27/2012 5:26:48 PM

No.

Everything happens because of a set of circumstances.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Everything happens for a reason?