Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Knowledge vs Wisdom      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 26
Knowledge vs WisdomPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)

there are many reasons to learn, some good some not so good.

What is a "bad" reason to learn?

non schooled people can, do, and will contribute much.

Of course--a society cannot function if all of the niches are not filled.
 aremeself
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 8:07:19 PM
debating skills are handy. [don't put your foot in your mouth]

instead of trying to be 'right', I want to learn.
and stop what I perceive as misinformation.

googling stuff is awesome, but check many sources, and even then.........think for yourself; the only cliche that can't be overused.
 Samuel1786
Msg: 28
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 8:09:04 PM
Gwen, you are clearly more knowledgeable on the subject. So, in my wisdom, I am going to concede on the grounds that I should get more knowledge. Then, in my wisdom, I will continue to question the basis for your argument (which I believe flawed and elitist--especially the bit about thinking we have any real ideas on what constitute intelligence) which you defend very well because you have lots of knowledge.

Sound about right? You win this round, Skywalker...

I will say that that having a degree is not what it used to be due to the influx of schools that neither truly educate students nor have stringent requirements for passing classes.

I will 100% give you this one though. Education has become more of a profitable industry, and less of a refuge for the enlightened. Both of those environments have trouble co-existing for long, and yet here it is. But for how long?
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 29
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 8:28:31 PM

googling stuff is awesome, but check many sources, and even then.........think for yourself; the only cliche that can't be overused.

Thanks for the advice. (Gwen pulls out her MA thesis and checks over the ten pages of sources and checks off all the ones she Googled. Next, she will do the same for the sources she is using for the book she is writing.)

But you didn't answer my question about "bad" reasons to learn.

Gwen, you are clearly more knowledgeable on the subject. So, in my wisdom, I am going to concede on the grounds that I should get more knowledge. Then, in my wisdom, I will continue to question the basis for your argument (which I believe flawed and elitist--especially the bit about thinking we have any real ideas on what constitute intelligence) which you defend very well because you have lots of knowledge.

Sound about right? You win this round, Skywalker...

Ah, Grasshopper, you exhibit seeds of wisdom--but of course we know what constitutes "intelligence."

By the way, neither of my parents finished 8th grade; I was the first in my family to get a college degree. My father was quite intelligent, but backwoods Oklahoma in the 20s and 30s did not place a high value on education; for his level of education, he did very well in life. My mother flunked first grade three or four times; now, she would be tested for a learning handicap, but she has never been able to cognitively understand a lot of issues. To be called "elitist" is amusing.

You should always question arguments, and if I am proven wrong when I "debate," I admit it. Most issues are subjective, however, and it is the delivery and force that usually wins the day. If you can't convince them with the facts, dazzle them with the BS.

I worked hard and paid a lot of money to get my degree: I am grateful it has been used so well in POF forums. (Grin.)
 aremeself
Msg: 30
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 9:17:49 PM
"Thanks for the advice. (Gwen pulls out her MA thesis and checks over the ten pages of sources and checks off all the ones she Googled. Next, she will do the same for the sources she is using for the book she is writing.)"

and we have to separate dogma and fiction from the hard to find reality.
then there are our and their presuppositions.

and the thesis and book will still be biased.

"But you didn't answer my question about "bad" reasons to learn." .....google it, and don't misinterpret what I said. "bad "is different than not so good.
but google "bad" too.

we should still think for ourselves, even so called 'dummies' should.

is teaching your students to think for themselves an everyday thing with you?
I teach someone that just about every day.
but it's tough to do, [thinking] and it takes time to research stuff.
 60to70
Msg: 31
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 9:29:18 PM
Carl Jung..."Where wisdom reigns....there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
 aremeself
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 9:42:59 PM
thanks, 60 to 70
some more:

Jung was an early advocate for character development in its most pure sense. He knew that we can only really be happy, fulfilled, and socially productive when we have not only come to know but also come to terms with our biggest challenge: ourselves. That means not keeping anything about ourselves hidden from consciousness (including our darkest sides). To be fully aware and embracing of all that is within us and consciously seeking to be all that we can be is our most noble quest.

yeah and:

coming to terms with ONESELF is very hard and painful work.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/8/2012 9:56:52 PM
I'll take my meaning for wisdom in the pure sense. I know it can, and is applied in many or most areas that have nothing to do with feelings, spirituality or psychology. Too many other words in the English language to discribe those aspects. Trying to make one word have so many meanings just leads to endless semantics....I hate semantics.
 Gwendolyn2010
Msg: 34
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/9/2012 8:18:16 AM

and we have to separate dogma and fiction from the hard to find reality.
then there are our and their presuppositions.

I recognize the words that you use, but I don't understand what you are saying: can you rephrase for clarity? However, like many (if not most) things, reality is subjective. Some people cannot discern empirical evidence from their personal "truths," especially those in the religious arena.

and the thesis and book will still be biased.

Of course--any other dogmatic or presupposed points to make?

google it, and don't misinterpret what I said. "bad "is different than not so good.
but google "bad" too.

I have asked you twice to specifically explain your statement about "bad" reasons for learning. Telling me to Google "good and bad" will not explain anything, nor should I have to research your claim: you made the statement and in a public--or private--forum, it is your responsibility to explain it. If you can’t support what you said, just say so.

we should still think for ourselves, even so called 'dummies' should.

This has nothing to do with “good and bad” reasons for learning.

is teaching your students to think for themselves an everyday thing with you?
I teach someone that just about every day.
but it's tough to do, [thinking] and it takes time to research stuff.

Why don’t you take one of my classes and find out?

Dude, you are talking about research to someone who spent four years researching her MA thesis. I teach students how to research, including how to tell reliable resources from hack writers. My students have to formulate theses of their own, and I will not papers on hackneyed topics that have been around for years because the students will simply be spewing rhetoric from the mouths of thousands of people who said the same things.

Jung was an early advocate for character development in its most pure sense. He knew that we can only really be happy, fulfilled, and socially productive when we have not only come to know but also come to terms with our biggest challenge: ourselves. That means not keeping anything about ourselves hidden from consciousness (including our darkest sides). To be fully aware and embracing of all that is within us and consciously seeking to be all that we can be is our most noble quest.

Nice cut and paste job from: http://counsellingresource.com/features/2010/08/03/jung-words-of-wisdom/!

Research is not about cutting and pasting: it is critiquing and analyzing the works; otherwise, it is just a book report.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 35
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/9/2012 12:32:16 PM
I haven't really stated what wisdom is in my point of view, but I'll give it my best shot.

In a world so full of misrepresentation, misinterpretation, corruption....there is but still one truth....and wisdom is the ability to find it.
 Marshall10
Msg: 36
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/9/2012 3:23:51 PM
"Mr. Happy, don't flatter yourself thinking that you are worthy of battle with any educated business men three times your age...on this site or any other. You are an offence....not a battle.....sort of like a drunk pedestrian staggering around in the traffic."

Ha ha....you said it well SHL.

Keep this up and you might ruin the deep love he has for himself.....
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/9/2012 6:20:51 PM
^^^^Hopefully, he will learn that you can't roll wisdom up in a paper tube and smoke it.

I do declare, I think I see a big Ole' jungle chicken in the back of your truck....carefull with that sport, you'll be collecting turkey calls before it's over.
 Marshall10
Msg: 38
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/10/2012 4:34:41 AM
Yes....that bird was the end result of the best duel I've ever had....talked to him for an hour and fifteen minutes continuously before he finally showed his face and I pulled the trigger. He was extremely wary. My boys and I have been hunting together for almost three decades now.....good times in the woods and good times around the campfire at night too.
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 39
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/10/2012 7:20:56 PM
^^^^I really like the part about "my boy's and I". I think that's one of the major things missing today that leads to so many messed up young people. It's amazing how much wisdom can be gained just being out and about with nature. Life seems to makes sense when exposed to it. Maybe it's a primal bond, but whatever it is...it can't be replaced with computer games, recreational drug use, or hiding away in a bedroom on a keyboard.

BTW Part of the pleasure I get from my hobbie as a custom rifle builder and custom turkey call maker, are the great stories I hear from customers...Got more than a few of my own.

Have you tried a trumpet call or wingbone yet?
 Marshall10
Msg: 40
view profile
History
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/11/2012 5:02:13 AM
Nice hobbies you have there....requiring skill and attention to detail.....plus as you said you have other benefits talking to your customers and hearing their stories.

I haven't tried the calls you mentioned. I carry a traditional box call, and a one-handed yelper with a different tone. My calling is just average, I'd say, but I do know all of the nooks and crannies on my land, having hunted deer and turkey there for many years, so I use this knowledge to my advantage.

Speaking of calls when my boys and I first started hunting together in the early eighties the very first calling lessons we got were from a tape by Ben Rogers Lee. He was a character, now deceased, and you could tell he loved turkey hunting.
 60to70
Msg: 41
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/15/2012 8:47:46 PM
I have never considered wisdom to be in the province of logic, I have always considered wisdom to be a warning sign regarding a slavish attachment to the value of knowledge and emotional interaction. Even the very primitive that have managed to exist in this cyber and virtual world recognize the warning that wisdom freely gives. Watch out! for sure.
 johnb1949
Msg: 42
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/16/2012 3:33:38 PM
absolute knowledge doesn't exist. wisdom does.
 mikejustmike
Msg: 43
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 1/23/2012 7:06:47 PM
Knowledge vs Wisdom ?.....well, Knowledge is knowing, knowing how to wipe your ass.
But Wisdom ?....IS NOT GETTING SHIT ON YOU HAND, WHILE DOING IT.
Got it grasshopper ?
......................................................................................................................................
 IML237
Msg: 44
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 7/22/2014 3:06:56 PM
Nice to read posts from you 60to70 especially on this topic!

There is no reason at all for you to know me.
However - in 2008 a very similar topic was floating around on here -- with some GREAT discussions. I kept part of it because I was so impress with the depth of it. You were a part of that.
Part of your contribution had to do with "being open to handling bad things and times."

Other responses at that time:
"You never walk away from a wise person feeling depleted, Never."

"Wisdom is the mercy that whispers in your ear when knowledge, imagination and how to live fail you miserably. Wisdom is the call beyond known boundaries and generally understood reality, Wisdom is what kicks you out of bed when you just want to put your head down and not move. Wisdom, I think, is not that dependent on knowledge. Knowledge recognizes wisdom....but quite often does not actively present with any positive ramifications regarding this knowledge."
 bamagrl68
Msg: 45
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 7/23/2014 9:07:10 PM
dreams- Here's an example of the difference:
I go to a lake with a friend. I've never been to the lake before and have no idea how deep the water is. My friend dares me to jump in. I could jump in and gain the knowledge of how deep the water is, but since I'm wise, I'll look at my friend and say, "you first" ;) :D
 AddHomonym
Msg: 46
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 7/25/2014 2:13:29 AM
Here's an example from a game I used to play:

Knowledge (or intelligence) is like feeling a raindrop on your face and knowing that it is raining.

Wisdom is understanding that you need to go find shelter.
 April1963
Msg: 47
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 7/27/2014 8:39:18 AM

What is the difference between knowledge and wisdom"?

Wisdom is the right use of knowledge.!
Charles Spurgeon

There was once in the distant East a man considered to be very wise. A young traveler decided to visit him to learn from him.
Master, I would like to know how to get to be as wise as you the young man said.
It's really simple, said the wise man, I am only devoted to discover pearls of wisdom, Do you see that large trunk of pearls? They are all those that I have accumulated during my life.They are everywhere,It is a matter of learning to discern them,remember, the wisdom is always ready to anyone who is willing to take it, Wisdom is like a plant that is born within the man, develops within him, which is fed by other men and gives fruits that feed to other men.
The young traveler said,…….. Ahhhh, what you are telling me is that I have to discover what is wise in each person to create my own wisdom and share it with others.In that moment, the words of that young man seemed as if they were forming a small cloud of water vapor that was becoming condensed up to hardening in a small pearl, Immediately the teacher picked up to put it together with the rest of pearls.
The teacher said to him:
Really, my only knowledge is to collect these pearls to use them wisely in the correct and opportune time.

Have a nice day!

April.
 AddHomonym
Msg: 48
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 7/27/2014 8:44:41 AM
Meanwhile, a clever man from the West who happened to be working nearby, overheard the wise Master and his Eastern friend talking. When he heard these words,

...the wisdom is always ready to anyone who is willing to take it...

He picked up the large trunk of pearls and walked away:)
 April1963
Msg: 49
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 7/27/2014 9:44:19 AM

Meanwhile, a clever man from the West who happened to be working nearby, overheard the wise Master and his Eastern friend talking. When he heard these words,..the wisdom is always ready to anyone who is willing to take it...
He picked up the large trunk of pearls and walked away:)

Maybe that 'clever; man picked up the large trunk of pearls and walked away, But these pearls are good and productive ONLY for/to the person who with effort, determination and intelligence constructed them.
as you see,that "clever" man like you said, acted like a complete fool.
It means,Being Only Clever is not enough at the time of wanting to make good decisions in this life.

April.
 forumsonly4321
Msg: 50
Knowledge vs Wisdom
Posted: 8/14/2014 8:21:46 PM
I saw a reference to Forest Gump in an old post from this thread and he was what popped into my mind! He was portrayed as having little knowledge or "intelligence" but really he was very wise. He saw things as they were, without himself getting in the way…without preconceptions, prejudices etc. He also accepted things just the way they were. People came and went in his life (Ginny, the girl whom he eventually made love to and had a son with), and he didn't possess or feel jealousy or greed with anyone. In all of that, I think he had wisdom. And in a clever, comical way the was shown to be very successful, without "knowledge"! He did have pure, unconditional love from his mom… I thought it so well done.
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > Knowledge vs Wisdom