Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 PAVEparadise
Msg: 87
view profile
History
most Underated band?Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)

I've been on a Fireworks kick recently. I don't really listen to pop-punk often, but their tunes are really well done.

All I Have To Offer Is My Own Confusion was my jam for a while a couple of years ago. They are also very good live.
 613M38
Msg: 88
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 2/14/2012 5:56:50 PM
well the topic seems to be "band's" so for that my vote goes to Steve earle and the duke's (his entire career spanning overdrivin alt country - solo acoustic folk is amazing) more or less forgoten in his home country he got/gets some love up here in canada
as far asd the the most underated musician definatly townes van zant. how many people can say that bob dylan called them the best song writer ever born?
 Rorschachs_journal86
Msg: 90
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 2/16/2012 11:17:17 AM
Hellhammer, Celtic Frost
 ant64
Msg: 91
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 2/16/2012 1:27:15 PM
Cardiacs.

I discovered them about a year ago and have become hopelessly addicted. Their music is hard to describe, it's a strangely melodic mix of punk, prog, pop, ska and classical with bizarre time signatures. It shouldn't work but it does.

They were hated by the music press in the 80's and have been pretty much ignored for the 30 odd years of their existance. Unfortunately there'll probably be no more Cardiacs music as front man Tim Smith had a serious stroke a few years ago.

Their 'Sing To God' is my all time favourite album.

Definately worth investigating if you've never heard of them.
 nomank
Msg: 92
most Underated band?
Posted: 6/26/2012 11:23:52 AM
To me the most underrated bands are of course my favourites and deserve more attention (grew up in the 80s)
1.Duran duran = They have been around 3 decades and still people know them as hungry like the wolf n rio but they made some really great music and have some really good catchy songs covering almost all genres (excluding country and metal) Lots of rock with good guitar solos from ex zappa guitarist warren plus did some house , pop,club, dark music etc
with great lyrics and they put a very good solid live show but they are underated for being too pop n homo (non of the band members are homosexuals in the 80s makeup was valid) they are all married with kids and still touring.NEW ALBUM =ALL YOU NEED IS NOW IS AWESOME!
2.A-HA= What a great band recognized as a one hit (take on me ) wonder but they made some of the best and catchiest songs ive ever heard just listen to their album (stay on these roads).But sadly they retired this year , like REM n MORISSEY .
 WhyIsEverythingITypeTaken
Msg: 93
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/2/2012 7:22:09 PM
Any Franz Ferdinand fans out there? They're pretty damn cool.
 ropingthewind
Msg: 94
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/7/2012 6:48:57 AM
Giant to me is the most underrated. However, they are not around anymore. They were around in the 90s. I think the reason they were underrated is they hit the scene when grudge was making it big. They were a rock band and rock was kind of going out at that time. Dann Huff, the giant player and singer is amazing. He is still amazing to this day. He is now a producer and studio musician.
 FunkyBass32
Msg: 95
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/7/2012 10:51:46 PM
Blood Ghost!
Check out Blood Ghost's new EP, Rave In The Grave! Blood Ghost, a metal name for not a metal band. It's free to download also!
http://bloodghost.bandcamp.com/
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 96
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/9/2012 5:02:10 PM
Giant to me is the most underrated. However, they are not around anymore. They were around in the 90s. I think the reason they were underrated is they hit the scene when grudge was making it big. They were a rock band and rock was kind of going out at that time. Dann Huff, the giant player and singer is amazing. He is still amazing to this day. He is now a producer and studio musician.

Those guys were legit bad asses. They weren't selling any images or gimmicks, just quality musicianship. I pulled out their "Last of the Runaways" CD just a few weeks ago and listened to it. It's too bad they couldn't have made their mark a few years sooner.
 Triumph800rider
Msg: 97
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:31:01 PM
Different eras had their underrated bands and artists.

1950's -- This was an era of hit singles, teen idols and early rock and roll stars. I wasn't alive at this time. But listening to music from that era I would say that Tommy and Dorsey Burnette are two rockabilly guys who should have been better known. Also Link Wray.

1960's -- Paul Revere and The Raiders These guys were rocking in a band format before the British Invasion. Debatable whether their "Louie Louie" was recorded before the Kingsmen's. A ten year string of hits. Put them in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame already.

1970's -- Tom T. Hall is probably one of the best country songwriters ever. But most histories of country music when covering the 70's focus on the outlaw movement and George Jones. Tom T. has been sort of forgotten. So has Charlie Rich. Dolly Parton is underrated as a songwriter. You can make a very strong argument that she is the best female songwriter ever. In any genre.

1980's -- The Gun Club from America. The Soft Boys from The UK.

1990's -- The history of early alt. country focuses on three bands: Uncle Tupelo, The Jayhawks and Whiskeytown. But The Bottle Rockets were there too. And they are still going strong today. Give this band some respect.

The 2000's -- Under the radar Drive By Truckers put out a decade's run of albums that rivals just about any ten year run including what The Stones did between Beggar's Banquet and Some Girls. Starting with Southern Rock Opera in 2001 and ending with The Fine Print in 2010 they were the band of the decade. Tell that to Rolling Stone.
 RSwindol
Msg: 98
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:49:25 PM
Hmmm...

Pete Yorn?
Maybe the Eels?
 Triumph800rider
Msg: 99
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/9/2012 8:51:55 PM
Another artist from the 1960's who is totally underrated is****Dale. King of the surf guitar.

1990's -- Kyuss gets respect from the critics and some of the more strident metal and stoner rock fans but Queens of the Stoneage are much better known. Kyuss was better.

1980's -- Plan 9 predicted the whole jam band movement eight years before it happened. They were from Rhode Island and recorded for Enigma among other labels. At any given time they had between three and five guitarists. Psychedelic hippy punk rock garage rockers.
 ThatClassicRomance
Msg: 100
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/12/2012 6:20:07 AM
I agree 60's Paul Revere and the Raiders had more then a few songs that should have competed with the Beatles.
80's Gun Club is a good choice, but since Pierce went solo right away I can understand people losing site of them for not being around long enough. I saw his solo act at a small after hours club in Philly, a gig that was unannounced and unexpected but it still was extremely disappointing. It was at the time he really let himself go and wasn't the same as with the band.
50's I'd have to go with Eddie Cochran.
 thepigofyourdreams
Msg: 101
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/12/2012 8:19:32 AM

Another artist from the 1960's who is totally underrated is****Dale. King of the surf guitar.

I don't know if I would say D*ck Dale is underrated. He did earn the title of "King of the Surf Guitar". (and rightfully so) So, that alone would suggest he is highly rated.
 Triumph800rider
Msg: 102
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/12/2012 1:58:56 PM

I don't know if I would say D*ck Dale is underrated. He did earn the title of "King of the Surf Guitar". (and rightfully so) So, that alone would suggest he is highly rated.

I think in certain quarters, like Guitar Player magazine and such, Dale gets the respect he deserves. I don't think his place in rock history is rightfully appreciated, though. Rock historians sort of place him in the smaller sub-genre of surf instrumentals. But Dale and the Dell Tones, along with Link Wray, Paul Revere and The Raiders and James Brown are the bridge between the rock and roll (band backs up a singer) to the rock (the band IS the artist) eras. Joe Carducci is one of the few rock critics/historians who ever gave Dale his due for this.
 Triumph800rider
Msg: 103
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/12/2012 2:08:24 PM

I agree 60's Paul Revere and the Raiders had more then a few songs that should have competed with the Beatles.
80's Gun Club is a good choice, but since Pierce went solo right away I can understand people losing site of them for not being around long enough. I saw his solo act at a small after hours club in Philly, a gig that was unannounced and unexpected but it still was extremely disappointing. It was at the time he really let himself go and wasn't the same as with the band.

Jeffrey Lee Pierce had two periods where he went solo. The first was the Wildweed album and tour he did in 1985 after Kid Congo left The Gun Club to work with Nick Cave. My band had the opening slot for a couple of shows on that tour. (I had to go awol from the Army band at Ft. Dix to play those shows and didn't get caught.) That band had Romi Mori on guitar and the drummer who was with JLP when The Gun Club reformed in '88 for the Mother Juno album. They broke up again in the 90's and Pierce did a solo album before he died. At this time he had gone back to drugs.
 Ready4SomethingFun
Msg: 104
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/12/2012 5:59:49 PM

I would say that Tommy and Dorsey Burnette are two rockabilly guys

I would say that Johnny & Dorsey Burnette were two rockabilly guys.

I think you are getting them confused with Tommy Dorsey, the big band jazz leader.
 Ostinato
Msg: 105
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/13/2012 12:29:53 AM
My vote goes to "The Lounge Lizards", as a non rock band entry.
 Revenant75
Msg: 106
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/16/2012 12:52:16 AM
The Replacements, Husker Du, My Bloody Valentine,Descendents,Ween,Misfits,Poe,Butch Walker,Gram Parsons,
 PinkZombies
Msg: 107
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/16/2012 4:39:30 PM
Funk, and so fun live: Here Come the Mummies!
 Natureluva69
Msg: 110
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/16/2012 7:01:31 PM
Hands down the most underrated song of all time - Marquee Moon by Television
 hockeyfan82
Msg: 111
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/17/2012 10:28:15 PM
I can think of several underrated bands. They're mainly from the early 90s, because I can't stand modern music. In my opinion, Green River, from the early 80s, is the most underrated band. Mark Arm, lead singer, claims grunge was around before him, and it probably was, but he first named the "genre" grunge, and was pretty much the founding father of grunge, who, as we all know, inspired Kurt Cobain, who changed the rock world forever. Mark Arm then formed Mudhoney with Steve Turner, and they're still around.

I also think Screaming Trees. I don't have any reasons other than their music is amazing.

So Green River,
Mudhoney,
Screaming Trees

Also, Mother Love Bone, but Andrew Wood died, so that's why they never really got big. But bassist Jeff Ament and guitarist Stone Gossard formed Pearl Jam afterward.
 Random_geek_01
Msg: 112
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/25/2012 10:09:32 AM
Two bands I think deserve more are 10 Years and Lostprophets! Good stuff!
 Green_Jello44
Msg: 113
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/25/2012 11:41:50 AM
The Sweet! Everybody knows ballroom blitz, but they had many incredible hits like, fox on the run and action, to name a few. They started out as a bubblegum type band doing heavy b sides, and turned into a rowdy, heavy live act. All four sang, so they had incredible backround vocals, an explosive drummer and great guitar player, with similarities to queen. These guys sold 50 million records, but were never real big in america due to bad management, and Brians problems......check them out, easily the most underated!
 christine2972
Msg: 114
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 7/25/2012 6:11:19 PM
I agree, Gomez is an amazing band, who is very underated. Oh well, they are our little secret, others are missing out!
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  >