Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > most Underated band?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 179
most Underated band?Page 9 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Cheap Trick...sure, they were "big" yet not really pack-a-huge-sports-stadium kind of big.
Those guys could go from a punk sound, to rock, and almost to metal all within the same concert.
Personable, approachable, humble, dedicated, and real. Definitely an underrated band, for sure.
 cooldog65
Msg: 180
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 1/28/2015 10:08:11 AM
Up here in the Pacific Northwest (Washington state) in the early 90s, grunge pushed aside hair metal and all the attention was on Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Though I liked them both, my favorite is Alice in Chains. I loved Layne Staley's voice. Unfortunately, he had his demons like Kurt Cobain did and he passed away too early.

They came back with a new lead singer (William DuVall) and are still going strong today. Lead guitarist Jerry Cantrell grew up in the same general area (Tacoma, WA) that I did, but we went to different schools.

Rock on!
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 181
most Underated band?
Posted: 1/28/2015 10:17:49 AM
Cooldog65...love, love, love Alice In Chains. What a great sound.
The way that Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell would harmonize was awesome.

How cool that they are scheduled to appear at the Super Bowl, too.
You are 100% correct that in a different era, they would have been in the spotlight.
 MeMeMeatlast
Msg: 182
most Underated band?
Posted: 1/30/2015 11:29:19 AM

Up here in the Pacific Northwest (Washington state) in the early 90s, grunge pushed aside hair metal and all the attention was on Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Though I liked them both, my favorite is Alice in Chains. I loved Layne Staley's voice. Unfortunately, he had his demons like Kurt Cobain did and he passed away too early.

Don't forget Soundgarden, but yeah, AIC was my fave too - better riffs, Staley's AMAZING vox and the harmonies = WOW !

I remember the first time I heard the harmony to Rooster and the hair stood up on my arms !
 tgif111
Msg: 183
most Underated band?
Posted: 2/1/2015 5:25:33 AM
Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl grew up in Warren Ohio just ten minutes away but I was pissed at Nirvana for pushing aside my metal. I much prefer Dave's newer band the Foo Fighters.

going east from Youngstown, Nine Inch Nail's Trent Reznor grew up in Mercer, Pa. just 15 minutes away.
 cooldog65
Msg: 184
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/1/2015 9:28:35 AM
Another band from my area that was underrated initially was Heart. They were in the shadow of Fleetwood Mac during the latter half of the 1970s. Mid 1980s, they finally emerged from that shadow.

Ann Wilson's pipes are incredible and Nancy Wilson was the sexiest woman in rock!
 CharminC
Msg: 185
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/1/2015 2:45:17 PM
I second the motion for Heart as one of the most underated bands.
Once upon a time, a HUGE presence in my area back in the early-mid 70's.
There is a facebook page that talks about the past of my hometown with about a 5 main high schools in those days and all the 1960's-70's alumni talk about is seeing Heart in one venue or another before they moved on down across the border.
Those girls paid their dues!! They rocked EVERYWHERE and hard and for so long!
When they shined in the 80's, it was already long overdue.
Did you see how they did the cover of Stairway to Heaven during Zeppelin Hall of fame moment?
If I'm not mistaken... Plant cried. Saw a tear there. Jaws dropped. Hair was raised.

....and nobody can do Barracuda like Ann.
 Muttonforpunishment
Msg: 186
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/1/2015 2:53:17 PM
For me Heart is like Rush, as in, LOVED their 70s stuff, HATED their 80s stuff.

Dreamboat Annie is a SOLID record !

And yes, Ann is one of , if not THE best ROCK female vocalist of all time !

And yes, I did catch the Stairway tribute - nicely done !

They also did a good version of The Battle for Evermore in the 90s
 Strings6
Msg: 187
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/1/2015 4:50:36 PM
If they have not been mentioned already I would submit King's X as a band that is well known but did not acheive the recognition they deserved.....strong vocals and harmonies,solid music with both power and sensitivity,,,,,another band from the 70s I would submit would be Golden Earring,most know them for Radar Love and Twilight Zone but they released some great albums in the 70s that did not receive much attention.....as an honorable mention The Sensational Alex Harvey Band is another.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 188
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/4/2015 12:48:14 AM

If they have not been mentioned already I would submit King's X as a band that is well known but did not acheive the recognition they deserved.....strong vocals and harmonies,solid music with both power and sensitivity,

I would agree with this. They break through during the 80's, which of course was a time of songs about partying, fun, sappy ballads, etc. King's X were a bit deeper than that, and I think the average listener back then just didn't know what to make of them.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 189
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/4/2015 12:51:31 AM

....and nobody can do Barracuda like Ann.

Gretchen Wilson's (no relation to the Wilson sisters) version with Alice in Chains might surprise you.
 Ouija2025
Msg: 190
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/4/2015 5:38:43 AM
When I first meet my beautiful GF she and I were talking about travelling over drinks, then walking down the street she spoke about touring Holland etc with a band " Allison James" 2 days later I realized she said " Alice in Chains"
Moral of the story - don't be checking out construction workers when said friend is telling you something important :)
Heart was just here.
Manson coming! I can't wait.
 carleyrenee1
Msg: 191
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/9/2015 1:28:06 PM
Five Finger Death Punch!
 Demidar
Msg: 192
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/11/2015 9:06:02 PM
I just watched that video , wrong side of heaven , about the homeless vets , their reward for serving their country . Says one vet commits suicide every 2 hours in the USA .
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 193
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/11/2015 9:21:12 PM
Just got tickets to see Queensryche in a few weeks.
I think this will be the third time I have seen them since 1987.
Great showmanship, technically sound, yet never quite made it big.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 194
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/12/2015 7:58:29 AM
I don't know if I would say they never made it big. The "Empire" album exploded and lead to them headlining arena tours.

But what has happened to them over recent years has been just tragic. As big a fan as I am of Geoff Tate as a singer, what a disappointment he's turned out to be. His version of "Queensryche" is an embarrassment, too.
 CharminC
Msg: 195
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/12/2015 9:25:24 AM
Geoff Tate is the singer?!!!!

Sorry... there is no Queen without Freddy <3
 flyguy51
Msg: 196
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/15/2015 9:09:07 PM
Yeah, Geoff Tate went from being one of the best vocalists in rock to one of the biggest tools in rock. He titles his album "Frequency Unknown" with an emphasis on the F and the U-- clever... and classy...

Sadly, Queensryche was already starting to go downhill after Chris deGarmo departed.
 Eric_Summit
Msg: 197
most Underated band?
Posted: 3/15/2015 9:30:08 PM
My guess on the last Queensryche show attended was probably 7-8 years ago.
Curious to see how Geoff Tate's voice is doing these days nearly a decade later.

Hope they do lots of tunes from Operation: Mindcrime since it is a great story unto itself.
Maybe I take that back...because I would wish the whole album, sung in exact same order. LOL.

It probably makes sense to see exactly *who* will be in the band line-up when I see them.
All sorts of personnel changes happen over the years, so I might as well get prepped.
 cooldog65
Msg: 198
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 4/30/2015 7:22:51 AM
If we can include singing groups (doesn't play instruments), I would say The 5th Dimension is very underrated. Great harmonies and two of the most beautiful female singers ever. I've been rediscovering their music lately.

I just got a ticket to see them in June. This edition of the group has one original member (Florence LaRue...still beautiful at 71) and 4 replacements. Two of the other original members (Marilyn McCoo and Billy Davis Jr...married 45 years) have their own show. They're next on my bucket list.
 CanadianMusicMan12
Msg: 199
most Underated band?
Posted: 5/20/2015 1:59:27 PM
Jeff Buckley - There isn't a singer alive who sang like he did. It's a shame he died so young, but I doubt we will ever see a singer transcend pop music like he did. He knew how to sing in a way that could drive emotion in his songs, something most singers these days are incapable of doing.
 00Spy
Msg: 200
most Underated band?
Posted: 6/18/2015 7:34:25 PM

If we can include singing groups (doesn't play instruments), I would say The 5th Dimension is very underrated. Great harmonies and two of the most beautiful female singers ever. I've been rediscovering their music lately.

If you like the 5Th Dimension then check out Laura Nyro. She wrote some of there biggest songs and she wrote huge songs for others as well.
Definitely she was underated.
 ThePig0fYourDreams
Msg: 201
most Underated band?
Posted: 6/24/2015 5:46:12 PM
A Swedish band called Evergrey. They're like a darker and dialed down a few notches version of Dream Theater. They're probably my favorite modern band.
 holby
Msg: 202
view profile
History
most Underated band?
Posted: 1/16/2016 10:38:12 PM
Thin Lizzy
Dr hook
Two underrated bands
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > most Underated band?