Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > ARNOLD? TORCH? OLYMPICS? WTF      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Nerdimus Maximus
Msg: 1
ARNOLD? TORCH? OLYMPICS? WTFPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
On the torch as a Torch carrier for the Olympics? Did we run out of good people in Canada? How much did he pay and to whom?

http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_winter-olympics-in-canada-will-see-arnold-schwarzenegger-run-in-torch-relay_1346482

Gawd.
 rainman12
Msg: 2
view profile
History
ARNOLD? TORCH? OLYMPICS? WTF
Posted: 2/11/2010 12:14:00 PM
Arnold and Gordo are tight though, so of course some strings were pulled so Arnie wouldn't have to run some place colder, more miserable and lower profile than the last legs of the torch run. Plus he's probably one of the US dignitaries attending the ceremonies, so scheduling wise it makes sense, kill 2 birds with one stone.
 SoLongThanksForAllTheFish
Msg: 3
Posted: 2/11/2010 3:07:51 PM
The games are an international event, so even on the last day of the relay they should have some foreign representation.

I think the Governator is a respectable choice. He does lots to promote fitness and sports, and has for years. Plus, we can be sure he'll know how to handle any obnoxious protestors who get in his way!

Now, if he were the one lighting the cauldron, that would be annoying...
 Walts
Msg: 4
Posted: 2/11/2010 4:08:06 PM
I actually found it amusing that Bill Good himself was running/walking with the flame,,,along with a couple more news anchor people.Repeat,,,NEWS anchor people!!!!! Trying to figure out what the list of requirements was to get to carry the torch. Must be an awful lot of dirty tongues and lips around.
I know it had nothing to do with actually being a Canadian Olympic athlete of the past or even a Canadian medal winner. Stunned to find out that Shawn O'Sullivan had been passed over back in Ontario but they got him in last night in North Shore. It was awful nice of Vanoc to see the light after a guy like Shawn gets his brains scrambled for his country. Real nice.

But at least the Olympics are about the athletes.
 Walts
Msg: 5
Posted: 2/11/2010 4:34:49 PM

I know you have a better shot of it if you are a Royal Bank employee than if you are a former Olympian!

Ahhhh,,,,that makes sense why the CTV employees getting to hold the torch. That's the sponsership thingy sneaking it's little head into the game. I forgot the money factor.(well not really,,,,but I'll play tupid for the rah rah National effect )
 mcalgary
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 2/11/2010 8:19:43 PM

I see matt Lauer, host of NBC's Today Show, also carried the torch today. Was Rick Mercer asked? I am thinking he is more well-known by Canadian television watchers than Matt Lauer. Or what about Don Cherry?

Let's remember who paid billions of dollars for the rights to show the games to the US. That is the bulk of the money that we are using to help with the costs of this so of course they would need someone from NBC to carry the torch. As for Arnold, I think that by having him here it generates even mreo buzz and can do nothing but good for this. Do we really have to be that anti-american. Someone from NBC also did it in China so it is not the first time.
 Walts
Msg: 7
Posted: 2/12/2010 4:30:57 AM

Let's remember who paid billions of dollars for the rights to show the games to the US. That is the bulk of the money that we are using to help with the costs of this so of course they would need someone from NBC to carry the torch.

Repeat three times before hitting the sheets every night for the next couple of months. Slowly,,,the irony of it all will come to some.
Msg: 9
Posted: 2/12/2010 7:34:20 AM

It was rather anti-climactic.

That's been my impression of all the preparations so far: distinctly underwhelming!

Have we found out who's lighting the cauldron yet?
Msg: 10
Posted: 2/12/2010 9:16:42 AM
I'll bet on Wayne Gretzky.
 ROLLERCOASTER_RIDER
Msg: 11
Posted: 2/12/2010 10:54:06 AM
Maybe the one lighting the final cauldron will be a completely unknown local of Vancouver.....Vancouver will surprise the world the same way that Calgary did

In Calgary it was an unknown 12 year old female figure skater who was just competing in local competitions.

Walts
Msg: 12
Posted: 2/12/2010 4:36:24 PM
^^^^^ I thought it,,,but didn't want to mention it,,,since I'm a big dope head.

I wonder why more younger people whom are involved with athletics here in Canada are not put higher on the list of torch carriers?????? If ya think about it,,,,all you would be doing is giving some children/young teens some major self-confidence and a little push for future Olympians. Put the true amateurs, young people in the spotlight. They actually deserve it,,,,and would carry the memory a lot longer than some of these old farts. And yeah,,,,I would consider myself an old fart when it comes to the Olympics.

Edit: Condolonces to the family of the young man that lost his life today. No words can truely help right now,,,but I am sure they will understand that he died doing what he loved.
 white_flag
Msg: 13
Posted: 2/12/2010 5:17:44 PM
Evidently the Terminator didn't wear the official Olympic toque or mittens either.

He didn't wear the toque but he wore the mittens.

Don't forget, he's connected (through Skeletor) to the Kennedy's, his mother-in-law being the one who started the Special Olympics so I'm sure that had something to do with him carrying the torch. He passed it off to Lord Coe, former Olympian and now involved with the 2010 games.

And yea, the torch looks like a doobie; or a stick. A fibreglass stick.

In regards to the Georgian luger: My heart goes out to his teammates, his family, and his country. In 2008, they competed while their country was being invaded, they won several medals, and now they will compete while grieving the loss of a loved one. No words can express how sympathetic I am towards them. If I cheer anyone on during the games, they've now become one of the teams I'd cheer for.
 white_flag
Msg: 14
Posted: 2/12/2010 6:51:17 PM
I know that, but that doesn't mean it didn't have an impact on why he was chosen over say any other governor from the States. ~shrugs~ I'm just pointing it out.

ETA: In my original post, it should read that Lord Coe is involved with the 2012 games. Not the 2010.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 16
Posted: 2/12/2010 10:20:45 PM
I liked all the performances, but was highly disappointed with what they did to our Canadian anthem. I don't know what that girl sang, but it certainly wasn't Oh Canada.
 white_flag
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/13/2010 11:05:02 AM
I really enjoyed the young 16-year-old girl singing O Canada; I thought she had an amazing voice and did a beautiful rendition of it.

I also loved the native welcome. Whether people like it or not, they play an integral role across the whole country. Also, their participation was for the welcoming and the parade of countries, the rest of the ceremony was about Canada itself so to be upset with the part they played is.. just wow. I can't express it. Sad, really, I suppose, that people would get upset over it.

The opera singer was singing the olympic hymn, although granted I didn't understand her either, she had one hell of a voice. If you like opera.

Suggesting that they paused to remember the fallen luger so they don't get sued is.. callous. I caught the press conference just after it happened, and the president of the IOC was struggling not to cry. Of course, cynics will always say "it's because he was scared he'd get sued."

Despite the fact that I am not an Olympic supporter, the fact that I think we could spend the 6 billion dollars we suddenly have for the games on various other more important social causes, I felt the opening ceremonies were quite good and very uniquely Canadian and, more specifically, uniquely West Coast.

I'm still undecided about Gretzky lighting the outdoor cauldron, however.
 ROLLERCOASTER_RIDER
Msg: 19
Posted: 2/13/2010 11:28:50 AM
I wander if the cauldron inside BC place is still burning at this very moment....or if they distinguished the flame and will light up once again just in time for the closing ceremonies

If it is, I hope they have safety precautions in place. Wouldn't want to see the stadium burn down or anything.
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/13/2010 12:49:47 PM
This has been mentioned to me a couple of times..... Is it any mistake that the Olympic Torch resembles a giant doobie?

That would be why the medals look like potato chips, too - giant munchies!

Psst Golf guy...

I'll bet on Wayne Gretzky.

You can mail my winnings to me.
 Nerdimus Maximus
Msg: 21
Posted: 2/15/2010 11:29:55 AM
We are the 51st state Mexico the 52nd. Reference the SPP for the details.

Sounds like the Opening Ceremony was cool. Butchering our real national Anthem distances our youth from any positive form of patriotism or nationalism. Sadly this is a theme in all countries. Sigh.

I hope we continue to kick butt in Hockey though. I hosted during the Men's Gold medal hockey game in 2004. Really, really confused the seminar presenter when I wheeled out a TV for the breaks. LOL "You guys don't smoke?"

"Go Mulitcultural Northern Resource Area of the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America". (Formerly the country known as Canada. )
 Outdoor2
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2010 9:21:37 PM

but it certainly wasn't Oh Canada.

One of the worst renditions ever. Unbelievably way off the mark. I was embarrassed.

The rest of the ceremonies were excellent. K.D. sent shivers down my spine with her rendition of Leonard Cohen's song. Ashley kicked butt! Not much of a fan of Brian Adams, but he and ??? did it well. The Orca segment was amazing. The ramp that Rick Hansen had to climb was steep and said a lot about the struggles of both olympic and para olympians.

Romeo Dillard....excellent choice...

Arnold...hoopla...soon to be forgotten...

The song with the flying kid? Both Sides Now....Joni Mitchell. Google "both"...her lyrics come up first....pretty amazing when you think about it.

I am sick and tired of Lisa Laflamme's negative comments regarding our olympians when we don't win gold. She's made several "off hand" comments that discuss me.

NMRASPPNA.....you got that right!
 Outdoor2
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 2/15/2010 9:58:30 PM

that's the song! but it wasn't Joni singing... was it???

It was...it was a recording...judging from the rendition..probably the original.

Me thinks that fence will be reajusted soon....
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  > ARNOLD? TORCH? OLYMPICS? WTF