Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Birth Control      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 mingo88
Msg: 83
view profile
History
Birth ControlPage 6 of 6    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
SweetnessinFlorida - so you won't use a hormone-free IUD but you will take the hormone laden pill? i don't understand that and it makes no sense!! copper is not gonna cause cancer, strokes, blood clots, etc. that you would get by taking the pill. the pill is unnatural, the IUD is definitely not!!! i've had an IUD for 10 years and i LOVE it, no worries, no mess, no forgetting to take it every day. and no side effects and no danger. i think it's the best birth control on the market. very cost effective too. obviously the pharmaceutical companies push the pill because they make more money and it's very lucrative. they don't care if you get breast cancer or other cancers or a stroke, it won't hurt them!! at least i don't have to worry about cancer or strokes because of the pill and i have peace of mind.

oh and btw, smoking causes cancer in case you haven't heard.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 84
Birth Control
Posted: 1/28/2011 11:23:23 PM
I am aware smoking can cause cancer.
I have had allergic reactions to copper, i do not like the idea of an object being placed into my uterus that doesnt belong there that could perforate my uterus, and i do not like the idea of bleeding heavier than normal. Plus having it inserted throrugh my cervix sounds super painful. Dont they have to dilate you and put a tube in?
It freaks me out. Perhaps i am being irrational, but it skeeves me the hell out bigtime.
My ob/gyn assured me it wasnt that big a deal, but i still just shuddered at the thought.

I know the pill is not perfect and is not right for all women, i wanted to try it for cycle regulation, lighter periods, and pregnancy protection, all in one punch.
I am already had problems with it, on the first pack i had an ugly time when i got to the week of sugar pills. Im trying another cycle to see if that was a one time thing, or if it continues. If it does im tossing the fvckers out,i already told my SO to buy a lot of condoms and spermicide jelly because im already over this birth control method.

I do want to have 2 more children over the next couple years, im am hoping to start trying to conceive in about a year, so it wouldnt really be worth the cost and the bother of getting it inserted and removed, i think.

Sooo im looking at the Fem-Cap as an option to be extra extra safe, since they wont give me implanon.

Is the diaphram even made and prescribed still?

Hey guys, birth control isnt always a walk in the park and sun shine and rainbows for women, so quit kvething about condoms! They seem REALLY easy compared to fake hormones, getting devices put into your uterus or into your upper arms, and all that jazz.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 85
Birth Control
Posted: 1/29/2011 12:25:57 AM
Sweetness, it took me trying 8 different kinds of pills to find one that didn't cause MAJOR unwanted side effects for me (ranging from acne, from btw, a pill prescribed to TREAT acne, to nausea, to major stomach pains, to extra heavy bleeding). Anyway, from all the different kinds I tried, monophasic pills I found had the LEAST amount of side effects (The three different tri-phasics I was on caused MAJOR issues for me and I was ill for months on them). I also found, for me, any pills with estrogen in them cause major problems. I think it's really a matter of trial and error to find one that works for your body.

As I'm not a smoker I can't really speak about which one's are best for smokers, but if you haven't tried a monophasic one yet, I HIGHLY suggest it. The difference being that you receive the same dose of hormone every day of the month rather than it changing throughout the month as in a triphasic. Added bonus, because of this regulated hormone level in the body, I found any pms symptoms are non-existant.
 1234happy
Msg: 86
Birth Control
Posted: 1/29/2011 6:58:27 AM
I can’t understand why a man wouldn’t be doubly careful regarding birth control. Knowing that a woman has options, if a pregnancy occurs, and the only ‘option’ a man has at that point is to hope the woman makes the choice he wants. It seems absolutely crazy not to do everything possible to prevent that from happening.

Every time I hear a man say he leaves it up to the woman, I think he has a screw loose…

I think any individual who feels not-yet-ready for parenthood should take care of their own birth control. If you trust someone else with such an important part of your life, that's on you. If they're liars, that's on them - but doesn't relieve you of responsibility for your own birth control.

+1
Taking care of your own birth control does not mean saying “She told me she was on the pill” or “He said he would pull out.” That’s putting the responsibility on someone else.
 mingo88
Msg: 87
view profile
History
Birth Control
Posted: 1/29/2011 9:08:11 AM
Sweetness, i can tell you quite honestly that the IUD did NOT hurt one bit. the doctor told me to take Ibuprofen but i really didn't need it. i was afraid too because i heard it might cause cramping when put in but nothing happened, didn't even feel it when she put it in.

i was on the pill for a while but i don't think it's worth the risks and i did develop gallstones which i'm quite sure were one of the side effects and that was VERY painful and not worth it. if i had never taken the pill, i probably would have never developed the gallstones. there are 2 kinds of IUDS, you might want to ask about Mirena which does have hormones similar to the pill. but i think it's only good for 4 years, then you either get it taken out or get a new one. that's for younger women who still might want more children. it doesn't have copper. i got the other one which is called Paraguard.
 Tigerbabygirl
Msg: 88
Birth Control
Posted: 1/29/2011 7:47:24 PM
sweeteness I had the mirena one once, it practically stops all bleeding with in a few months, is good for 5 yrs and is a very low dose of progesterone, safe for women over 35 and you barely feel them inserting it.
 Tigerbabygirl
Msg: 89
Birth Control
Posted: 1/29/2011 8:05:44 PM
I would tend to believe your gallstones are totally concidental... I had gallstones extremely bad, ended up with pancreatitis and almost died I was told. with a high fat diet you could have still gotten them whether or not you were on the pill...

What causes gallstones?

Scientists believe cholesterol stones form when bile contains too much cholesterol, too much bilirubin, or not enough bile salts, or when the gallbladder does not empty completely or often enough. The reason these imbalances occur is not known.

The cause of pigment stones is not fully understood. The stones tend to develop in people who have liver cirrhosis, biliary tract infections, or hereditary blood disorders—such as sickle cell anemia—in which the liver makes too much bilirubin.

The mere presence of gallstones may cause more gallstones to develop. Other factors that contribute to the formation of gallstones, particularly cholesterol stones, include

Sex. Women are twice as likely as men to develop gallstones. Excess estrogen from pregnancy, hormone replacement therapy, and birth control pills appears to increase cholesterol levels in bile and decrease gallbladder movement, which can lead to gallstones.

Family history. Gallstones often run in families, pointing to a possible genetic link.

Weight. A large clinical study showed that being even moderately overweight increases the risk for developing gallstones. The most likely reason is that the amount of bile salts in bile is reduced, resulting in more cholesterol. Increased cholesterol reduces gallbladder emptying. Obesity is a major risk factor for gallstones, especially in women.

Diet. Diets high in fat and cholesterol and low in fiber increase the risk of gallstones due to increased cholesterol in the bile and reduced gallbladder emptying.

Rapid weight loss. As the body metabolizes fat during prolonged fasting and rapid weight loss—such as “crash diets”—the liver secretes extra cholesterol into bile, which can cause gallstones. In addition, the gallbladder does not empty properly.

Age. People older than age 60 are more likely to develop gallstones than younger people. As people age, the body tends to secrete more cholesterol into bile.

Ethnicity. American Indians have a genetic predisposition to secrete high levels of cholesterol in bile. In fact, they have the highest rate of gallstones in the United States. The majority of American Indian men have gallstones by age 60. Among the Pima Indians of Arizona, 70 percent of women have gallstones by age 30. Mexican American men and women of all ages also have high rates of gallstones.

Cholesterol-lowering drugs. Drugs that lower cholesterol levels in the blood actually increase the amount of cholesterol secreted into bile. In turn, the risk of gallstones increases.

Diabetes. People with diabetes generally have high levels of fatty acids called triglycerides. These fatty acids may increase the risk of gallstones.

so unless one lives a perfect life with the perfect diet, they could possibly get these regardless if taking the pill or not
 mingo88
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Birth Control
Posted: 1/29/2011 8:37:37 PM
well it's true the gallstones could have been caused by eating high fat foods which i was guilty of and also from being overweight but i still think the pill increased the risk of gallstones. both my grandmothers were overweight and they never had gallstones. i'm the only one in my family who had them. but if i had never taken the pill, i might not ever have had them and i was only on it for about a year and a half. like Favourite, i also got rid of my gallstones thru diet and by herbal methods. the only treatment they have is surgery and i believe it's major surgery. i haven't had a gallstone attack now since 2001!!! very happy that and i still have my gallbladder.

btw, i went to a gastroenterologist for the gallstones and i asked if it was diet related and he said no, it had nothing to do with diet but i think he was a quack as i'm quite sure it has everything to do with diet. some doctors know absolutely nothing about nutrition.
 barefootkitten
Msg: 91
Birth Control
Posted: 1/29/2011 9:25:57 PM
I actually have to agree with you sweetness-one. It can sometimes take some trial and error to find a bc method that works for an individual person, but there certainly isn't a shortage of options.

I don't understand how any woman can "forget" to take her pill. I simply take mine as soon as I get up in the morning. Someone who is committed to preventing pregnancy and chooses to use the pill won't "forget" to take it.
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 92
Birth Control
Posted: 1/29/2011 11:26:30 PM
Thanks for the advice ladies.

BarefootKitten, i am using Ortho-Novum (Nortrel is the generic version) 1-35, they were going to give me Ortho-Tri but when i told them i smoked they decided to send me home with a 3 month supply of a monophasic pill, and gave me some pamphlets on the paraguard and urged me to strongly consider it.
I did take Ortho-Tri in my early 20's and loved it, but i havent beeon on hormones in a good while and it seem;s like im not adjusting well.
As i said, i can remember to take a pill every day and i do, but if i took the mini-pill that has to be taken at the exact same hour and minute daily, i would be setting myself up for failure, i dont want to pop any surprises on my boyfriend.

Mingo and TigerBaby, if you dont mind me asking, how much heavier does having the IUD make your menstrual cycle? And the strings, do they soften up? Is it nerve-wracking going in to get it done? Do you have to keep it in there for 10 years or can you ask to have it removed earlier? (i do want more kids just not right this minute)
I feel like a huge pansy here, lol, every time i go to read the booklet on IUD's i cringe and toss it in a drawer.
 RubyWaxxx
Msg: 93
Birth Control
Posted: 1/29/2011 11:50:03 PM
^^for what it's worth, I used an IUD for years and never had any problems. Never had heavy periods - nothing. It does hurt when it's being inserted and removed but really just for a second - like a pinprick. I had it removed so I could could have a baby and fell pregnant two months later. And I was 37 at the time.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Birth Control