Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 148
Do guys like these exist past 35?Page 3 of 15    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15)

I added Lost, poker and chess under interests last year and my response rate dropped exponentially

That's a matter of knowing your target audience. Those work well for me because they tend to have a stronger appeal to men. Lots of guys fill their interests with "Football, Baseball, Hockey, NASCAR..." forgetting that most women aren't that into those things. Or even if they are, they want to see a little balance of interests.

The larger problem with trying to be funny on a profile is comedy is 90% timing, body language and vocal inflections.

For someone whose humor is entirely physical, that may be true. But between the headline, the photo captions and the text, even a moderately funny person should be able to put something in their profile that's amusing or even cute. If they don't, I figure they're either not that funny or they're lazy.

I have about a 50% response rate with my current profile.

I'd say to any guy that gets a 50% response rate that he doesn't need to change a thing. It's the people who complain about not getting any responses that should take another look at their profile or hit the profile review forum.
 EGJV
Msg: 149
Do guys like these exist past 35?
Posted: 2/25/2010 12:42:27 PM

Football, Baseball, Hockey, NASCAR..." forgetting that most women aren't that into those things

That sounds more like an opinion that an observation... looking at tons of profiles (local to DC area, admittedly), I find sports are second only to dogs/animals in women's interests.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 150
Posted: 2/25/2010 12:52:13 PM
^^Maybe you missed my point. A woman who has an interest in sports is wise to put that on her profile. But with a guy, it's usually assumed he likes sports so he doesn't need to list all his favorites.

Or are you trying to argue that most women are big sports fans?
 EGJV
Msg: 152
Posted: 2/25/2010 1:47:37 PM

Or are you trying to argue that most women are big sports fans?

Not argue per se, but that's my experience. I can send you a list of the next 20 gals I pick at random and you can count yourself how many are into sports (don't feel comfortable writing their usernames in forums though). Or you can do it yourself, at any rate, I didn't miss your point but with the quantity of women who are into sports I don't see how that would distinguish any gal over any other.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 153
Posted: 2/25/2010 3:27:06 PM
^^While I'm completely comfortable stating that "most women aren't that into those things" based on my own experiences and the highly targeted commercials for the spectator sports mentioned, I gave you the benefit of the doubt that there might be an aberration in your area. So I searched for women 25-35 in District of Columbia and of the 15 profiles that turned up on the first page, only one mentioned any of those sports in her interests. Then I clicked on a random results page (page 11) and not one of the women listed any of those as interests. Many did list physical activities they enjoy but sports were blatantly absent as opposed to the same search of male profiles, most of which did include them.
 EGJV
Msg: 156
Posted: 2/25/2010 6:34:11 PM

You need to kill like 99% of your profile..the political thing cuts off 50% of your responses...the great liar opening cuts off the other 49%......

Well hell, I can see that... you're right. I'll try again, but as soon as I start thinking about a rewrite, I find myself being honest and matter-of-fact, because I am.

Otherwise, you wouldn't be hitting on some old chick on the other side of the country.

???
 EGJV
Msg: 157
Posted: 2/25/2010 6:54:44 PM

and of the 15 profiles that turned up on the first page, only one mentioned any of those sports in her interests. Then I clicked on a random results page (page 11) and not one of the women listed any of those as interests.

That's hardly statistically significant, for all you know all the rest of the women you didn't see like sports. However, it's difficult to establish by using the search here for two main reasons: 1) for a search for "everyone", the maximum is 700 results so you can't get a proportion by those who like sports vs total and 2) many profiles don't list the "sports" interest but the profile body does list the sports she likes.

I can believe that men list the interest way more often, though.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 158
Posted: 2/25/2010 10:48:09 PM

its completely sub optimal to put that much weight on what you said as far as guy's profiles go....It would make sense if women messaged men 90% of the time

But it's the women who decide whether or not to write the guys back. I can't say for sure how important the profile is to other women but I know that a generic profile places my decision to respond squarely on superficial qualities. So how am I supposed to not be shallow when guys aren't providing any depth? I've seen plenty of profiles where guys managed to sound clever even in as little as one paragraph and I've seen people in the profile review section take horrible profiles and make big improvements so I have no doubt that with a little effort, anybody else can too.

I soppose a transcript of your fav stand up jokes then are as funny as a video?

A well crafted joke/bit can usually be conveyed in print. The persona of the person delivering the joke can make it much funnier but the humor in most jokes shouldn't be completely lost in writing.
 vinnyirl1
Msg: 159
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 3:00:32 PM
well i certantly meet all the criteria there
i can be shy in some ways but when i get to know someone very easy going relaxed etc but for some reason just cant seem to meet anyone in the pubs or the few clubs i go too rarely from work and everyday life i would never ask any girl out as i would find a refusal so embarrassing maybe i am just too old fashioned
i am very genuine ordinary guy easy going understanding def not obese not to bad on the eye ( i think ) :)
been on pof now for about three months on and off use it a bit get bored of it then come back to it again have met two girls off here in person and all went well but no realtionship as i didnt pursue it so suppose still looking for the right one but i find with pof i can spend a few hours on here send a lot of messages and no reply so i wish someone would tell me where i am going wrong ?
 tradesman100
Msg: 162
Posted: 2/28/2010 8:36:05 AM
hi , yes there are guys like that out there , i am 40 going on 41 never married , straight ,no kids , employed full time at the same job for 16 years , am fit , dont drink , smoke or do drugs and even go to church on sundays
 EGJV
Msg: 167
Posted: 2/28/2010 11:25:19 AM
^^

what perfection? OP stated she had whittled down her requirements to just those she listed.

You all are just pissed you're defective.
 EGJV
Msg: 169
Posted: 2/28/2010 1:49:07 PM

lol. Wow man you are trolling a dating sites forums and I am defective. How about you go serve your country or help society instead of just yourself for once then come to me talking crap.....

How about you help yourself first and learn to read sarcasm. I was referring to OP calling men "defective" because they don't meet her sacred criteria.
 NoWaiting4Godot
Msg: 173
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 7:31:46 PM
I am one of "those guys". Have had a few very serious and long-term relationships, but for one reason or another they ran their course. Commitment issues? Nope. Have been committed to all my relationships. Never cheated during any of them. Never lied to them. Just haven't come across that certain woman I want to spend the rest of my life with. When it happens, and I am sure it will, it will happen. But I 'gotta tell ya, I find it very difficult to connect with women who are willing to meet someone who has never been married. I mean, what's not to like? I can do my own laundry, cook, support myself quite nicely, and still treat a woman they way they wanted to be treated.

The secret: women want to feel a man LISTENS to them. I mean REALLY listens to them. That their opinion matters. That they are capable and should be included in the decision making process in their relationships. Even down to what's for dinner.

Well, there are a few other things women desire...
 LinuxD
Msg: 175
view profile
History
Posted: 2/28/2010 8:23:53 PM

By exist I mean the following

never married/no kids
looking to get serious and eventually married
not just looking for sex
employed (or unemployed due to the economy but previously employed)
average weight (not obese)

I'm right here.
 Water75
Msg: 176
Posted: 3/1/2010 11:48:32 AM
i really liked what you said.but what about you?some may take what you said as being bitter not me i agree.but i can not help but look in your face and see alot of pain.
 rocking ritschel
Msg: 182
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:04:56 AM
Yes we still exist! No ones perfect,defect? I think nice caring guys get to certain age get tired of being pissed on and taken for granted,gay, easy push over etc and either just dry up or get bitter and change to be users themselves like every 1 else does.Just my 2 cents.
 Queens_Knight
Msg: 183
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 11:18:15 AM
I fit your description but I have had absolutely no responses or emails of any kind, I am beginning to think this is a waste of time.
 EGJV
Msg: 185
Posted: 3/2/2010 2:42:08 PM

I fit your description but I have had absolutely no responses or emails of any kind, I am beginning to think this is a waste of time.

Has anyone emailed OP? I'm curious to see if anyone got responses.
 ChitownScorpio
Msg: 187
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 4:20:47 PM
Although rare, we do indeed exist! I think there are quite a few out there. Those that have had long term relationships but for whatever reason didn't find the 'one'. Many of those that have remained unmarried through mid-30's tend to have to work harder physically than our married counterparts, so in-shape singles are out there. Then you just have to narrow that population to the ones that are still looking for that 'one' and you've found the elusive white rhinos you seek:)
 rocking ritschel
Msg: 189
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 4:47:44 PM
I agree queens night,lots of views but no mail left.THis shouldnt be so freaking hard I'm going back to my real mistress in a few weeks..my motorcycle she never lets me down hahah!
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 191
Posted: 3/2/2010 6:17:53 PM

One persons "defect" is going to be another person's treasure

I think that should be this site's slogan.
 forums1
Msg: 193
Posted: 3/2/2010 8:55:54 PM
46y/o... over 35? - check.

never married/no kids? - check

looking to get serious and eventually married? - um, serious sure, married.. depends on how serious for how long (less than a year, probably not), but not against the idea of marriage to the right person.

not just looking for sex? - check

employed (or unemployed due to the economy but previously employed)? - check (and own my own home, paid off even).

average weight (not obese)? - eh, I probably fail the body-mass definition of obese, I could certainly lose some weight, but I fit in an economy-class airline seat with room to spare (except the legroom sucks!).

Oh well, guess I fail that test. Geez, so hard to please anyone these days with all these lists of 'requirements'.
 EGJV
Msg: 194
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:00:27 PM

im 28 and im one of them

28<35 . You're welcome.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2010 7:49:36 AM

but the big question is.....would i have anything to do with you.

I think this is a big point that many that seek/demand/expect certain criteria for a partner miss. It's not just about what you want in a partner, it's also about what you have to offer a partner/what they want. Just because a person checks all the boxes on your list, doesn't mean you will do the same. We're talking about people/relationships, not car shopping. The shopping list approach to mate seeking rarely seems to work.

I have met several men that fit the OP's description in my armpit of a town, so they are out there. But that doesn't mean that just because the short list for both people matched, that there was a match enough for a relationship. If it was that easy, there wouldn't be dating sites.
 forums1
Msg: 199
Posted: 3/3/2010 9:26:55 AM

I think this is a big point that many that seek/demand/expect certain criteria for a partner miss. It's not just about what you want in a partner, it's also about what you have to offer a partner/what they want. Just because a person checks all the boxes on your list, doesn't mean you will do the same. We're talking about people/relationships, not car shopping. The shopping list approach to mate seeking rarely seems to work.

I've never figured out why some people seem to approach online dating like going to Amazon.com, browsing some items you're interested in, select one that has 'everything you want', and thinking its 'one click shopping' and it shows up at your door a few days later. Do they think this about dating in real life too?

I think they need to understand that the super-deluxe eggbeater, MKIII, you find on here can actually (gasp!) *not* want to show up at your doorstep.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >