Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do We Attract Our Parents?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 jezebellpgh
Msg: 61
Do We Attract Our Parents?Page 4 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Scenes:

Yeah alot of people hating on their parents. I liked my parents story. They were high school sweethearts and married young, both were each other's first love.
 pandusvenator
Msg: 62
Do We Attract Our Parents?
Posted: 10/6/2010 6:53:23 PM
I love my parents and despite any shortcomings they may have they did ok. I'm not like them but I can respect thier lives.
 Yew4ics
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/6/2010 10:53:46 PM
I adored my father, and I do look for men who are simlar to him. He was a great guy, and I would be lucky to find someone like him. I am somewhat like my mom, but more outspoken. She is very shy.
 Molly Maude
Msg: 64
view profile
History
Posted: 10/6/2010 11:51:35 PM
I think I'm drawn to men who have SOME traits similar to my Dad's ... the laid-back, fun-loving parts of my Dad's personality ... his artistic tendencies, enthusiasm ... his ready laugh and song ... ability to see the fun side of any situation ...

but I'd be repelled by men who have OTHER traits similar to my Dad's! for example, his lack of caution for his personal well-being, his irresponsibility and reckless behaviours ... reckless disregard for his safety or his family's ... his talent for throwing caution to the winds ...

I'd not be drawn to people with characteristics similar to my Mother's at all ...

as for "Do We Attract Our Parents?" ... I've attracted only TWO irresponsible, fun-loving men similar to my Dad ... I married one with the anticipated results ... divorce due to his lack of ability to grow up and be a mature contributing family member ...

with the other man, the similarity to my Dad was much more pronounced and I let him slip through my fingers ... I could just SEE where the relationship was heading ... he was charming, funny, beautiful, artistic ... but so irresponsible ... while compelling, it seemed doomed to fail ... I just opened my hand and let him slide on out ...

sadly, my natural personality is VERY similar to my maternal grandmother's ... altho I fight and struggle, my natural tendencies are to be similar to her! whereas, my only daughter's personality is VERY similar to my Mother's! while HER daughter and I are fairly like two peas in a pod! it feels like we're hopping generations!

analyzing my daughter's personality and her issues, experienced with deep love and appreciation, has certainly given me insights into my Mother though!

I AM really drawn to men like my Dad ... but I fight it ... GREAT TOPIC!

carolann0308
Msg: 65
view profile
History
Posted: 10/7/2010 5:44:02 AM
Only if I am really lucky.
My Dad loves to laugh, absolutely adores his wife of 48 years, very laid back, you always know where you stand with him and he's very even tempered. He thinks my Mom is the most beautiful woman in the world.
 Halcyon_Skies
Msg: 66
Posted: 10/7/2010 6:58:11 AM
I'm drawn to men who share my mother's temperament and my father's intellect. He was a brilliant man---very accomplished and well-read, as well as movie-star handsome. He did tend to be somewhat self-absorbed, regimented and controlling. Conversely, my mother had a sweet and even-keeled disposition. I took after my father temperamentally, therefore I look for easygoing men who are more like my mother to balance things out.

The right partner for me can disarm me and my narcissistic tunnel vision and self-absorptions with a strong backbone---combined with a velvety touch, a soft voice, a gentle kiss. There's enough real drama out there---we don't need to make any up. I'm gradually learning that I would rather be happy than always be right. Luckily for me, I believe I have found such a man.
Show ALL Forums  > Relationships  > Do We Attract Our Parents?