Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > best drummers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Rheostatic
Msg: 126
best drummersPage 6 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
He may not be the best drummer in terms of technique, but Levon Helm was probably the only drummer ever that could make you cry.

R.I.P
 godfearin
Msg: 127
best drummers
Posted: 5/3/2012 1:41:01 PM
great drummer indeed..i have to agree...as well u have chad smith ...terry bozzio..stewert copeland...phill collins...steve smith../ Me ... Drummers hall of fame my personal friend ernie la violey ...tommy lee..also drummer from slipnot... Im Bam Bam Metal/Reggae drummer played with "Zion Tribe" & for mer sublime members w/ wookiefoot..and international reggae all stars... Thank you
 Trevork52
Msg: 128
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 5/19/2012 9:03:32 AM
Message 151 sums it up for me. There have been so many really great drummers and different styles/genres make comparison difficult if not a tad unfair.
Keith Moon will always stand out for me but that is because of the whole package of the "Orrible Oooo" and everything that went with them.
A couple who have not seemed to merit a mention (apologies if I missed) are Simon Kirke, Jon Hiseman and, wait for the jeers, Larry Mullen Jr!

Anyone else think that Zak is far better than his Dad ever was?
 Hal6016
Msg: 129
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 5/21/2012 4:50:45 PM
As far as I'm concerned, Bill Bruford of King Crimson without a doubt.
 Bachelor_Numero_Uno
Msg: 130
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 8/13/2012 6:27:50 AM
Manu Katche, who has drummed for a number of great artsist like Peter Gabriel & Jan Garbarek... Check out the tune "Gautes-Margjit" from Jan Garbarek's CD "Twelve Moons". Probably on YouTube. Also, I've always felt that Michael Shrieve's drum solo on Santana's "Soul Sacrifice" in the Woodstock movie is phenomenal.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 131
best drummers
Posted: 10/9/2012 7:16:15 PM
I'm going to join the masses, proably, and say that: Keith Moon, Neil Pert, Travis Barker, and the dude from Def Leppard are among the very best. (honroable mention to Tommy Lee and Alex Van Halen) <--Alex is the drummer,and not the bassist right? (him)

HOWEVER; my favorite drummer is the dude from Silversun pickups. He's s AMAZING with offbeats and multiple rhythms AND he looks EXACTLY like "Animal" from the muppets in the video for "Panic Switch". <--How can you not love that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG8fugqFn9Q

Mickey Hart was also super good. <--Assuming he IS the drummer, and not the keyboardist. (I'm pretty sure its Mickey Hart; dude from "the Dead")
 J_bird61
Msg: 132
best drummers
Posted: 10/9/2012 9:58:00 PM
Neil Peart. Hands down.
 Trevork52
Msg: 133
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 10/10/2012 4:56:22 AM
Maybe not the best ever or even in many peoples top tens but, for effect and influence, I have to give another prod for Zak Starkey.

After Moon's sad demise The Who seemed to go into hibernation playing wise. The excitement went out of their performances. While Kenny Jones certainly is a decent enough drummer he kicked no life or drama into the rythm section with Entwhistle. Along comes Zak Starkey and totally revitalises The Who's onstage performances. The new enthusiasm of Townshend and Daltrey was obvious to see. So, as I said, maybe not the best, but a great achievment as a contributor to the live act.
 haveakitten30000
Msg: 134
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 10/10/2012 5:52:13 AM
like someone else said there are alot of good ones in all generes
but my fav is NEIL from RUSH
 Blueberryeggos
Msg: 135
best drummers
Posted: 10/14/2012 10:36:13 PM
Wish I was a Rush fan because I do believe it is Neil Peart. Otherwise Dany Carey from Tool hands down
 PosiREP
Msg: 136
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 10/14/2012 11:40:33 PM
Blake Richardson-Between The Buried And Me
Matt Halpern-Periphery
Scott McPhail-Grüvis Malt
Chris Pennie-Dillinger Escape Plane/Coheed and Cambria
Chad Sexton-311
Riley Breckenridge-Thrice
 kenpoboy
Msg: 137
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 10/16/2012 3:31:12 PM
I can't remember if I mentioned Narada Michael Walden or not, but his stuff with the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Robert Fripp, etc, was incredible.
 Tharmus
Msg: 138
best drummers
Posted: 10/21/2012 11:15:33 PM
If you want to see some insane drumming, check out Nordger from Asmodeus and Francesco Paoli from Fleshgod Apocalypse.
 DRKKNGHT193
Msg: 139
best drummers
Posted: 10/22/2012 12:28:44 AM
Dave Lombardo
Pete Sandoval
George Kolias
 40sayers
Msg: 140
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 10/28/2012 6:45:21 PM
Was Animal from The Muppets mentioned ?
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 141
best drummers
Posted: 10/28/2012 6:55:15 PM
Was Animal from The Muppets mentioned ?

Here ya go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG8fugqFn9Q

Space_Weaver
Msg: 142
best drummers
Posted: 10/30/2012 10:38:39 PM
Spencer Corbin.
 Marcar91
Msg: 143
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 11/3/2012 1:42:53 PM
Dave weckl, steve gadd, and vinnie coliuta are classics. tony royster jr is sick though and if you like metal check out matt greiner
 LennyPane
Msg: 144
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 11/6/2012 4:01:01 AM
5- Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

4- Ginger Baker (Cream)

3- Keith Moon (The Who)

2- Neil Pert (Rush)

1- John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)

Case Closed.
 vic_littledrummerboy
Msg: 145
best drummers
Posted: 11/13/2012 7:27:07 PM
Someone said that it all depends on the type of music. I do agree with that! Another thing I always point out to people is that, (Here goes!) if you look at a list on the internet of the best drummers, Most are famous simply because they were in a famous band. I'll use examples: One of my favourite bands of all time are the Beatles. Ringo Starr, as great as he is at time keeping and such, is not one of the best drummers ever, technically speaking. He is one of the most famous, because he was a Beatle. Same with Lars Ulrich, again in one of my favourite bands as well!

Here are some of my faves:

Steve Gadd (Probably my all time favourite drummer. I just love his playing on "Late in the Evening" and "50 ways to leave your lover", both songs by paul simon)
Bernard Purdie (Soulful, Groovy and Funky!)
Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band! One of the greatest Jam drummers around!)
Travis Barker (Many will disagree, but he used to play marching band stuff, and that takes skill)
Liberty Devito ( Check out the song "Get it right the first time" by billy joel. What a great groove)
Neal Peart( Great Rock drummer, challenging to play his stuff!)
Stewart Copeland (Great drummer)
Jeff Porcaro (The man behind the Rosanna groove)
John Dolmayan ( Metal drummer for system of a down)
John Bonham (Probably one of the greatest rock drummers of all time!)
Buddy Rich ( I am trying to learn jazz, and this man is one of the best, alongside Ed Shaugnassey)
Dave Weckl (Just, wow)
Chad Smith (red Hot Chilli Peppers. He does play a little too hard for my liking, but I love his grooves)
Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters, Alanis Morissette)
Nigel Olsson ( Great drummer in Elton John's band)
Chris Fryar (Zac Brown band)
David Garibaldi ( Tower of power drummer. Man can this guy play! Check out "What is hip?")

And I could go on and on and on forever, but these are a few, or maybe a list, that popped into my head at the moment. What do you guys think of this list?
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 146
best drummers
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:22:38 PM

I also separate pure jazz drummers from rock drummers due to the styles being so different. But rock drummers like Phil Collins, Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, and many of the art-rock/fusion jazz scene were really great.

Agree with separating the styles.
But if you're going to put Phil Collins on there then how about Chester Thompson since he goes head-on with Phil in concert.
Another art-rock/prog drummer I'd add to the list (although not saying he's "the best") is John Weathers from Gentle Giant if for no other reason than he could keep a steady beat while all hell was breaking loose around him and then bring em all back together.

#1 rock drummer - John Bonham.
 KER6969
Msg: 147
best drummers
Posted: 12/19/2012 10:52:42 AM
Dave Betts, Phil Collins, Chester Thompson, Frank Beard, Peter Criss, and Alex Van Halen.
 MrCorBoaz
Msg: 148
best drummers
Posted: 12/19/2012 5:44:10 PM
I would take Elvin Jones over Buddy anyday

I'm with you on that and most bandleaders would concur regardless of whether you refer to Buddy Rich or Buddy Miles. Both Buddy Miles and Buddy Rich deserve mention because they were great drummers. Elvin Jones I think was better. Yet Buddy Rich was best at self promotion.
I hear a lot of mention of Bonham and Moon but that is simply based on a type of Rock format. There is a huge segment here that obviously greatly favor Rock styled drummers over those who performed in other genres or even those that crossed genre, which is unfortunate.
I offer these not in ranking order but simply because when I think of great drummers/percussionists these names in addition to those already mentioned in this thread stick out:
Jorge Luis "Changuito" Quintana
Abdullah Ibn Buhaina(Art Blakey)
Earl Palmer
Luciano Chano Pozo González
Papa Jo Jones
Kenny Clarke
Zigaboo Ziggy Modeliste
Mitch Mitchell
Roy Haynes
Louis Bellson
Philly Joe Jones
Max Roach
Tony Allen
Fred Below
Louis Cottrell
Liaqat Ali Salaam(Kenny Clarke)
Gene Krupa
John “Jabo” Starks
Warren "Baby" Dodds
Bill Bruford
Tony Williams
Sly Dunbar
Jack DeJohnette
Carlton Barrett
Charlie Watts
Chick Webb
Clyde Stubblefield
Dennis Chambers
Al Jackson, Jr.
Bernard Purdie
 TomToriginal
Msg: 149
best drummers
Posted: 12/20/2012 6:41:34 PM
The word best is relative only to your own personal tastes.
Some would say the fastest is the best.
Some would say those that keep perfect time are the best.
To me, there are hundreds of great drummers, all of whom have been mentioned and I Love them all.
I will throw "Clyde Stubblefield" into the mix since he played two of my favorite grooves in "Funky Drummer" and "Cold Sweat" while playing with James Brown. Rock drummers are a dime a dozen and they all sound the same.
Dave weckl is as close to perfect time as I have seen (almost too perfect) and I really respect him and Vinnie and Steve Gadd and Carter Beauford and the list never ends. It's a very very long list. There is no such thing as best drummer.
There has to be a unit of measurement in order to determine the "best" at anything.
 windadept
Msg: 150
best drummers
Posted: 3/15/2013 7:21:41 PM
The drummers I really like are:

Phil Collins (at first I didn't think much of his drumming because I had only heard stuff like "In the air tonight" and "take me home" but then when I started to listen to early Genesis stuff I came to realize that he was capable of some very complex stuff)

Mitch Mitchell

Neil Peart

and my favorite drummer? that would probably be Buddy Rich
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > best drummers