Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > best drummers      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Space_Weaver
Msg: 142
best drummersPage 8 of 8    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8)
Spencer Corbin.
 Marcar91
Msg: 143
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 11/3/2012 1:42:53 PM
Dave weckl, steve gadd, and vinnie coliuta are classics. tony royster jr is sick though and if you like metal check out matt greiner
 LennyPane
Msg: 144
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 11/6/2012 4:01:01 AM
5- Mitch Mitchell (Jimi Hendrix Experience)

4- Ginger Baker (Cream)

3- Keith Moon (The Who)

2- Neil Pert (Rush)

1- John Bonham (Led Zeppelin)

Case Closed.
 vic_littledrummerboy
Msg: 145
best drummers
Posted: 11/13/2012 7:27:07 PM
Someone said that it all depends on the type of music. I do agree with that! Another thing I always point out to people is that, (Here goes!) if you look at a list on the internet of the best drummers, Most are famous simply because they were in a famous band. I'll use examples: One of my favourite bands of all time are the Beatles. Ringo Starr, as great as he is at time keeping and such, is not one of the best drummers ever, technically speaking. He is one of the most famous, because he was a Beatle. Same with Lars Ulrich, again in one of my favourite bands as well!

Here are some of my faves:

Steve Gadd (Probably my all time favourite drummer. I just love his playing on "Late in the Evening" and "50 ways to leave your lover", both songs by paul simon)
Bernard Purdie (Soulful, Groovy and Funky!)
Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews Band! One of the greatest Jam drummers around!)
Travis Barker (Many will disagree, but he used to play marching band stuff, and that takes skill)
Liberty Devito ( Check out the song "Get it right the first time" by billy joel. What a great groove)
Neal Peart( Great Rock drummer, challenging to play his stuff!)
Stewart Copeland (Great drummer)
Jeff Porcaro (The man behind the Rosanna groove)
John Dolmayan ( Metal drummer for system of a down)
John Bonham (Probably one of the greatest rock drummers of all time!)
Buddy Rich ( I am trying to learn jazz, and this man is one of the best, alongside Ed Shaugnassey)
Dave Weckl (Just, wow)
Chad Smith (red Hot Chilli Peppers. He does play a little too hard for my liking, but I love his grooves)
Taylor Hawkins (Foo Fighters, Alanis Morissette)
Nigel Olsson ( Great drummer in Elton John's band)
Chris Fryar (Zac Brown band)
David Garibaldi ( Tower of power drummer. Man can this guy play! Check out "What is hip?")

And I could go on and on and on forever, but these are a few, or maybe a list, that popped into my head at the moment. What do you guys think of this list?
 CynthiaSM
Msg: 146
best drummers
Posted: 11/18/2012 9:22:38 PM

I also separate pure jazz drummers from rock drummers due to the styles being so different. But rock drummers like Phil Collins, Carl Palmer, Bill Bruford, and many of the art-rock/fusion jazz scene were really great.

Agree with separating the styles.
But if you're going to put Phil Collins on there then how about Chester Thompson since he goes head-on with Phil in concert.
Another art-rock/prog drummer I'd add to the list (although not saying he's "the best") is John Weathers from Gentle Giant if for no other reason than he could keep a steady beat while all hell was breaking loose around him and then bring em all back together.

#1 rock drummer - John Bonham.
 KER6969
Msg: 147
best drummers
Posted: 12/19/2012 10:52:42 AM
Dave Betts, Phil Collins, Chester Thompson, Frank Beard, Peter Criss, and Alex Van Halen.
 MrCorBoaz
Msg: 148
best drummers
Posted: 12/19/2012 5:44:10 PM
I would take Elvin Jones over Buddy anyday

I'm with you on that and most bandleaders would concur regardless of whether you refer to Buddy Rich or Buddy Miles. Both Buddy Miles and Buddy Rich deserve mention because they were great drummers. Elvin Jones I think was better. Yet Buddy Rich was best at self promotion.
I hear a lot of mention of Bonham and Moon but that is simply based on a type of Rock format. There is a huge segment here that obviously greatly favor Rock styled drummers over those who performed in other genres or even those that crossed genre, which is unfortunate.
I offer these not in ranking order but simply because when I think of great drummers/percussionists these names in addition to those already mentioned in this thread stick out:
Jorge Luis "Changuito" Quintana
Abdullah Ibn Buhaina(Art Blakey)
Earl Palmer
Luciano Chano Pozo González
Papa Jo Jones
Kenny Clarke
Zigaboo Ziggy Modeliste
Mitch Mitchell
Roy Haynes
Louis Bellson
Philly Joe Jones
Max Roach
Tony Allen
Fred Below
Louis Cottrell
Liaqat Ali Salaam(Kenny Clarke)
Gene Krupa
John “Jabo” Starks
Warren "Baby" Dodds
Bill Bruford
Tony Williams
Sly Dunbar
Jack DeJohnette
Carlton Barrett
Charlie Watts
Chick Webb
Clyde Stubblefield
Dennis Chambers
Al Jackson, Jr.
Bernard Purdie
 TomToriginal
Msg: 149
best drummers
Posted: 12/20/2012 6:41:34 PM
The word best is relative only to your own personal tastes.
Some would say the fastest is the best.
Some would say those that keep perfect time are the best.
To me, there are hundreds of great drummers, all of whom have been mentioned and I Love them all.
I will throw "Clyde Stubblefield" into the mix since he played two of my favorite grooves in "Funky Drummer" and "Cold Sweat" while playing with James Brown. Rock drummers are a dime a dozen and they all sound the same.
Dave weckl is as close to perfect time as I have seen (almost too perfect) and I really respect him and Vinnie and Steve Gadd and Carter Beauford and the list never ends. It's a very very long list. There is no such thing as best drummer.
There has to be a unit of measurement in order to determine the "best" at anything.
 windadept
Msg: 150
best drummers
Posted: 3/15/2013 7:21:41 PM
The drummers I really like are:

Phil Collins (at first I didn't think much of his drumming because I had only heard stuff like "In the air tonight" and "take me home" but then when I started to listen to early Genesis stuff I came to realize that he was capable of some very complex stuff)

Mitch Mitchell

Neil Peart

and my favorite drummer? that would probably be Buddy Rich
 Strings6
Msg: 151
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 3/16/2013 8:31:26 AM
John Bonham is the one for me,if Jimmy Page had offered a riff as quircky as Black Dog to most drummers of that time they would have thrown their sticks at him but Bonham was always able to take the wackiest stuff that Page, Jones or Plant could come up with and give it that powerful forward momentum that a great rock song needs.He knew when to play and when not to play,when to be fancy and show off a bit and how to take a song like Kashmir and give it the simplest beat that can hold your attention for 8 minutes and 31 seconds and he could play at breakneck speed for 10 minutes to a riff that by itselfmade little sense which is Achilles Last Stand.I have heard many of Page's riffs by themselves....he's a great player but without Bonham I don't think many of them would be the household words that they are today.....it came as no surprise that they called it quits when he died.
 flyguy51
Msg: 152
best drummers
Posted: 3/18/2013 4:53:25 PM
Yeah, I've actually heard some claim that Bonham is overrated. I can't help but think that they are arrogant, young drummers who are too green to know any better. My response to that opinion is "No, Bonham is very properly rated."

He actually had a bit of an inferiority complex about his skills because he compared himself to all the jazz greats. Such is the artistic temperament, I guess...
 kinksrayfan
Msg: 153
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 3/18/2013 11:12:05 PM
Meg White.
 good guitar player
Msg: 154
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 3/23/2013 1:33:00 PM
I never cared for Genesis from start to finish, but Phil could play, Check out his side project Brand X, sonds like Mahavisnu crossed with relayer era Yes.

6string
Black Dog was JP Jones riff. Used to be a great Bass Player article on line with jones on the time sig and the right way to count it.
 DADEO62
Msg: 155
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 3/23/2013 8:46:42 PM
i dont know if anyone mentioned TOMMY LEE but come on M.Cs TOMMY LEE IS A MONSTER and that's all i can say about that
 holby
Msg: 156
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 3/24/2013 3:47:57 PM
Keith moon of the who
 MS.ICENI
Msg: 157
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 5/30/2013 5:49:02 PM
Gene Krupa brought the drummer to prominence.
 lostspirit1
Msg: 158
best drummers
Posted: 9/5/2013 8:36:46 PM
IAN PAICE -DEEP PURPLE E.G Songs- Burn, Fireball, You fool no one . The Mule -Made in japan.

BARRIEMORE BARLOW, CLIVE BUNKER -JETHRO TULL - E.G ALBUMS -Bursting out live, Minstrel in the gallery, This was.

JON HISEMAN-COLOSSEUM

SIMON KIRKE-FREE
 JALS1990
Msg: 159
view profile
History
best drummers
Posted: 4/17/2014 3:49:05 PM
Myke Wilson
Dave Weckl
Chris Dave
?uestlove
Eric Moore II
 ICantDoBackflipsAnyway
Msg: 160
best drummers
Posted: 4/27/2014 7:15:44 AM
Tomas Haake (Meshuggah)
George Kolias
John Longstreth

Metal drummers > Everyone else

p.s Metal drummers are usually trained in jazz. Which is why they kick so much ass.
 Somedude847
Msg: 161
best drummers
Posted: 5/22/2014 8:19:36 PM
not the best recording

Http://poundingthepavement.bandcamp.com

But I think my drummers pretty good.
 TotalNerdHere
Msg: 162
best drummers
Posted: 8/18/2014 2:31:26 PM
Zach Hill
Brian Chippendale
Pikacyu
 flyguy51
Msg: 163
best drummers
Posted: 10/30/2014 9:29:33 PM
In an effort to get some of the fresh "faces" of drumming in here, I submit jazz/funk drummer John Blackwell and rockers Marco Minneman and Gavin Harrison-- all brilliant and all under 45 years old!

Edit: oops... Harrison is over 50.
Show ALL Forums  > Art/Music  > best drummers