Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > swearing in public with children around      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 bliss.stars
Msg: 14
swearing in public with children aroundPage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
if people have the freedom to curse, then i think others have the freedom to ask them not to be so loud.
 carterscutie85
Msg: 15
swearing in public with children around
Posted: 2/22/2010 3:26:01 PM
They have seatbelts in carts. How did he try to dive out?

He was in the carseat attached to the cart. He's still a little wobbly yet to be sitting up by himself without the carseat. He got the buckle undone somehow and tried to dive out. I was right there, I keep my hand on him at all times, but it still scared me to be looking at something and then look at him, only to see him trying to make a break for it.
 no_1_bby
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2010 7:01:47 PM
I've been out to eat where the table directly behind me was full of 5 or 6 teens, with incredibly foul mouths. At that time I had little kids with me. I just turned around as asked them politely to be aware of their language and to tone it down. They did.

I've been in line somewhere with the ex and at least one of the kids and there's been a group of late teens/early 20's boys... and every other word was the F-bomb. My ex had no problem telling 'em off.
 mcalgary
Msg: 17
view profile
History
Posted: 2/22/2010 8:38:09 PM
I am a transit driver and quite often the teens in the back of the bus are swearing up a storm when there are children in the front.

I quickly found out that if you ask them nicely to watch their language as their are children in the front they quickly cut it out but if you ask rudely they swear even more.

Most people are just totally oblivious to what is around them and when it is pointed out they fall in line.
 thegirl123
Msg: 18
Posted: 2/22/2010 8:51:54 PM
People swear, yeah its impolite but it doesnt really bother me.
Posted: 2/23/2010 2:58:24 AM
When this happens I usually ignore it the first couple of times but if it is non-stop then
I will stare at them and say" Do you mind, there are young children here". Everytime so far, they have apologised and either walked away or lowered their voices.
Other times if I am out with my younger children/grandchildren and run into this
My granddaughter who just turned 3 will usually in a Very Loud Voice tell me right away if someone is cursing....she will say "Nanna he/she said a curse word.....wash their mouth out NOW!!!!!!". I respond..." I heard them Honey and if they don't stop then I will do just that". It is so funny...everyone usually starts laughing
 anonymouslyme
Msg: 20
Posted: 2/23/2010 5:55:10 AM
I've never been the type to get bent out of shape over a word. There are all kinds of people in this world, and our kids are going to come across them all, sooner or later. Someone making a spectacle of themselves using loud foul language is obviously going for the shock value, trying to get some attention, so I try not to respond to that. I figure if their mother wasn't able to help them develop some common curtesy and class, a comment from me won't mean much. I also worked hard not to react strongly when I heard my kids using the words they had heard. I just calmly told them that's not one of OUR words. I know some people use them, and that's ok for them, but WE don't, and that pretty much solved the problem. Not in a superior We're-better than-them kind of way, more like a people-aren't-all-the-same-and-that's-ok kind of way. Saying this within earshot of the person using the offensive language has has also worked to tone things down, without ever saying anything directly. I think it's because it automatically causes one to take a sec and reflect internally on what what the differences might be between people who use that language and those who don't. Most people (especially the rebellious or obnoxious ones ~ you know, the kind that swear loudly in public) don't like to be told what to do, but sometimes a little self awareness causes them to make a different choice on their own.
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2010 6:12:39 AM

What kind of lines do you use if any?
I ask... "What kind of fvcking language is that to use around kids?"

I don't see the big deal with it. I'm not big on swearing and when I do, jaws tend to drop as it just sounds so foreign coming from me. Hopefully I've taught my children that there are venues where swearing isn't appropriate, I believe I've done a pretty good job as they don't around me or others that they shouldn't. How they speak around their friends is a completely different story and as much as I would like to think that they use respectful verbiage, I know that they're like any normal kid and will say things they would never think to repeat around me...
 imalitltpot
Msg: 22
Posted: 2/23/2010 6:22:07 AM
One of my best friends is a 40-something female, college educated. She swears like a sailor no matter where we are. I have asked her many times to watch her language, especially when we're in public around children. She doesn't get it. Now she's going to school to become an elementary school teacher. Sigh.

I WISH a stranger would say something to her since she's choosing to disrespect me!!
Msg: 23
Posted: 2/23/2010 7:23:18 AM
Here's how my parents handled it and I try to convince the parents of kids I watch to allow me to do so, too:
They told us what every cussword we heard meant and the etymology to the extent of their knowledge. My dad was Navy, so he knew words from sailors of other countries; my mom was a language major, so she knew from where the slang came.

They also told us what was inapropriate. Not just cusswords, speaking of vomit at the table or while someone near you is eating, diggin underwear out of your butt, farting while in an elevator, all that stuff.

IF someone was cussing up a storm and it started to bug my parents, they said, in their outdoor voice, "See what type of people use those words profusely in public?" (I just whisper it to the kids when I'm the one watching them and the parents have given permission to handle it that way.)

But, as a child, when you know what the word means, some of the cussing is REALLY funny.

"I was talking to this copulating female dog last night and she would not shut the copulation up about all this male bovine excrement about how her boss is such an anus she can't poop without him crawling up to the source."

That is funny when you're five. Let your kids in on it. It also helps to learn why it detracts from the conversation in some instances and adds to the humor/frustration in others.

I still cuss, but I try to catch myself and say things such as, "Marbles in a blender!" or "Mother farter!" (Favorite around nine year old boys.)
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 24
Posted: 2/23/2010 7:47:02 AM
"Swearing is the last crutch of an intellectual cripple." -- somebody famous. Also, me.

Tozaar...
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 25
Posted: 2/23/2010 7:50:39 AM

(mcalgary) I am a transit driver and quite often the teens in the back of the bus are swearing up a storm when there are children in the front.

Not a week ago, I was on a city bus (the Mercedes was in the shop...), and this girl was on her cell-phone right in front of me (and also a mother with her 3-4 year old daughter). She was pi$$ed about something, and swearing. I overlooked the first "F" bomb, but the second one, I poked her and said, "There's a little girl there." She gave me this odd look, but moved to the back o' the bus.

The single mother (no ring - I checked) was pretty hot, too...

Tozaar...
 peppermint petunias
Msg: 26
Posted: 2/23/2010 3:03:36 PM
Some time you just have to say something.

If you say it in a fashion that is not like you are cutting them down, most will apologise.

I have turned around and asked very politely to please not keep saying such things as my son may repeat them in church..try to interject humor like I don't think they are criminals and smile.

I find at sporting events people get carried away esp after a few beers and unless they are complete tools will hold it down if asked in a nice or funny way.

I have had them react a bit smart azz back, then I just move away from them.

Right up there with the women changing a diaper in the booth at an eating establishment. I am outta there or speak up.

Talk to a manager if its in a restaurant and they don't stop.

I don't want to hear it over and over myself when trying to enjoy an event or meal.

I ask... "What kind of fvcking language is that to use around kids?"

Oh you are funny lmaoooooooo
 mcalgary
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 2/23/2010 4:06:45 PM

Not a week ago, I was on a city bus (the Mercedes was in the shop...), and this girl was on her cell-phone right in front of me (and also a mother with her 3-4 year old daughter). She was pi$$ed about something, and swearing. I overlooked the first "F" bomb, but the second one, I poked her and said, "There's a little girl there." She gave me this odd look, but moved to the back o' the bus.

Why wasn't she on my bus. lol.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 28
Posted: 2/24/2010 7:43:20 AM

(TtT) Not a week ago, I was on a city bus (the Mercedes was in the shop...), and this girl was on her cell-phone right in front of me (and also a mother with her 3-4 year old daughter). She was pi$$ed about something, and swearing. I overlooked the first "F" bomb, but the second one, I poked her and said, "There's a little girl there." She gave me this odd look, but moved to the back o' the bus.

(mcalgary) Why wasn't she on my bus. lol.

Find your own hot single mother! Who do ya think I am, Dan Cupid?

Tozaar...

(actually, I kinda like the idea of flying around nekkid, shooting arrows at people...)
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 29
Posted: 2/26/2010 8:24:59 AM

(RubenMG) Aside from that it sounds like i need to start using buses

Tozaar's 2nd amusing bus anecdote:

I was on a municipal bus years ago, with my younger son in tow. Some teens (tweens, actually) were, "F this" and "F that", etc etc. So, I (politely!) asked them to stop, as I didn't want my (then about 6 YO son) picking that up (he now does fine all on his own). So they switched to French, not knowing that Tozaar is (TA-DA!) bilingual. So, I got a two-fer outta the deal...

Tozaar...

(or would that be "Tozaàr"?)
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 30
Posted: 2/26/2010 3:00:42 PM
The amount of energy and concern that are put into a few select words is absolutely absurd to me. The word "fvck" isn't going to kill anybody. Your kids hear it on the playground every day and they hear far more hateful and detrimental language on a regular basis but as long as the words are not of the four-letter variety, that's okay. So, so, silly.

I'll agree that adult discussions don't belong in a place that caters to children: park playground, Chuck E. Cheese, toy store. But for the most part, this is an adult world and when adults and children share the same public space, far more often it's the adults who will be inconvenienced by your children.
 Arlo_Troutman
Msg: 31
Posted: 2/27/2010 7:57:04 AM
(Alooo) The word "fvck" isn't going to kill anybody.

No, it's not. Neither is it going to especially inconvenience the speaker to exercise a little care and consideration in the delivery of his/her speech.

I'll agree that adult discussions don't belong in a place that caters to children: park playground, Chuck E. Cheese, toy store. But for the most part, this is an adult world and when adults and children share the same public space, far more often it's the adults who will be inconvenienced by your children.

Ah, but therein lies the rub: adults are, by and large, emotionally developed enough to deal with bratty kids. Kids are not, by and large, emotionally developed enough to deal with venal adults.

B'sides, those of us with ankle-biters just don't want our kids subjected to the verbal filth of others. I swear enough around my kids, that I don't need the good-intentioned help of strangers!

Tozaar...
 SweetnessInFlorida
Msg: 32
Posted: 3/1/2010 9:37:58 AM
Tell the offending person to shut the fvck up with their fvcking potty assed mouth, 'fore you stomp their muthafvckin ass into the muthafvckin ground, for saying them awful words in front of your goddamn childrens precious little fvcking virgin ears.

Making someone think you might be crazier than they are usually shuts em up fast.
 mcalgary
Msg: 33
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:35:47 AM

The amount of energy and concern that are put into a few select words is absolutely absurd to me. The word "fvck" isn't going to kill anybody. Your kids hear it on the playground every day and they hear far more hateful and detrimental language on a regular basis but as long as the words are not of the four-letter variety, that's okay. So, so, silly.

You cannot be serious in the above statement can you?? How many 3 to even 6 year olds are swearing on the playground?? If I heard it there I would say something just like I would anywhere else. We are not talking about 12 year olds here.

There are also many other people that are or would be offended by your potty mouths. There are elderly people that come from a time of personal respect for yourself and others. I don't think that too many people have a huge issue with the one swear that pops out. It is the constant every 3rd word swearing that people have a problem with.
 sweetcheeks2him
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/2/2010 6:59:20 PM
I agree it slips out.. I do it too.. My biggest issue is when I am on a bus or in a resturant or a 'family' enviroment and all I hear is 'F' every other word and using 'B' to refer to a person most times female.. Would I say something if a person said 'F' once or twice or any type of swear used once or twice in general conversation, no of course not.. Most times I am not paying attention... BUT if a person teen or adult is using 'Mother Fing' 'F' and 'B' as their conversation in a place where children are yes I am gonna say something..
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/3/2010 4:47:10 AM

There are also many other people that are or would be offended by your potty mouths.

And I'm not too keen on people butchering the English language but I don't stop and correct them every time I hear someone use a dangling participle. When you go out in public, you don't own the space around you.

There are elderly people that come from a time of personal respect for yourself and others.

That "respect" in regard to swearing is not based on any logic. If I stub my toe and say "fudge!" it means the exact same thing as if I said "fuck!" It's just another example of the sheep of the world not thinking for themselves but following archaic guidelines of what's bad and good. Why is "shit" bad but "poop" is okay even though they mean the same thing? Because someone told you so.

It's such a backward world that an innocuous word like "shit" can cause an uproar yet a truly detrimental word like "hate" gets a pass.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/3/2010 7:15:05 AM
^^I understand what you're saying. I have two nephews who have started learning swear words (not from me!) and I made it clear to them that those are adult words (not "bad" words) and that if they use them at school they'll get in trouble. But they would never be scolded for using them around me because I recognize how harmless they are. However, when they say something mean, I'm all over that.
 thatusernameistaken
Msg: 37
Posted: 3/3/2010 10:14:22 AM
Alooo, after reading a few of your posts I had to look at your profile to confirm something. Sure enough I was right, you don't have children of your own. If & when you do you may find your ideals change from what they were before you became a parent. I know that was the case for myself. I have heard many case of the "cool" aunt or uncle that lets kids swear or stay up late, eat candy, whichever. I do not hear of too many parents that would allow that behavior very often though.

I'm not saying that your comments have no value, I'm just saying that you probably have a different perception of the world than most parents do.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/11/2010 9:29:49 PM

If & when you do you may find your ideals change from what they were before you became a parent.

I won't be having children but I'm inclined to believe that if I did, I wouldn't lose all sense of logic. There's no logical reason why "shit" is bad but "poop" is okay. All these parents are so concerned about the harm of these innocuous "dirty" words but I bet most of them let their kids watch cartoons where characters are mocked and berated, where violence is the solution to problems. So hey, maybe I'm wrong and there's something about bearing a child that does make people lose their sense of logic.
Show ALL Forums  > Single Parents  > swearing in public with children around