Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Albvs
Msg: 47
what is best anti-virus program. Kaspersky? Norton?? McAfee???Page 3 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)

MS Security Essentials is not going to block Malware.

Read the title of this thread again.
 ladywilltravel
Msg: 48
what is best anti-virus program. Kaspersky? Norton?? McAfee???
Posted: 3/20/2013 10:16:17 AM
I don't think there is a "best" AV program, none of them will catch everything, but if the program is not run, it is useless.
Daily runs are recommended; setting your computer to auto run is useful, but your computer must not be in shut down at the time. If full or quick scans are offered, the full scan would be most beneficial. AV updates are there for a reason, so make sure those are current.
All of my computers have different AV programs plus Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes has recognized things that have slipped through the AV programs.
In 15 years and a half dozen computers, I have never had a disabling virus. Safe computer use is the best protection.
There has been occasions when a virus was suspected; the current AV program was temporarily disabled and a free program was downloaded and run, then deleted and original AV program enabled.
If you don't need the added features of the paid AV programs, such as another firewall, monthly reports, defender, etc., then the free programs may work quite well.
 IT-is-SEXY
Msg: 49
Posted: 3/21/2013 11:10:51 PM
ESET NOD32 Antivirus or Smarty Security is the best

*Resource* - Myself, I manage over 10,000 endpoints. ESET catches and removes the most by far. I also use Kaspersky, Kaseya Antivirus, and Microsoft Security Essentials.
 Azream
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/25/2013 4:06:37 PM
Malwarebytes is the best for me. Being an online gamer, I prefer it as it doesn't run automatically which means it does not use up memory, yet, it is just as powerful, if not more powerful, than many other commercial antivirus applications. I believe it is very heavy-duty in the sense that it even picks up rootkits, which are typically a pain to cleanse.
 TomSlick1982
Msg: 51
Posted: 3/26/2013 10:23:20 AM
I AM a computer expert...well, I was for the DOD. Free programs are every bit as good as the paid programs. It's just that morons fall for marketing and scare tactics.
 _FishingForAMermaid_
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/26/2013 8:49:54 PM
Anti-virus programs are similar to online dating sites. One can pay if one likes to throw away money. The free ones are just as good. That's why we are here on POF, right? I use AVG free and have no complaints.
 excelica
Msg: 53
Posted: 3/27/2013 6:47:34 AM
I use Avira (combination with Comodo) cause' I find it to be the least resource hog and produces the least false positives. Kaspersky would take #1 though only it's shareware...
 LowNrusty
Msg: 54
Posted: 3/28/2013 2:38:28 AM
Kaspersky ill vouch for. Never had a problem as long as i have it installed! well worth what i pay for it!
 tag47
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 3/30/2013 12:31:50 PM
ARE THERE ANY NEWER VERIONS THAN 2010 ?

TGRASSO47@GMIL.COM
 Sbrk0656
Msg: 56
Posted: 3/31/2013 1:18:22 PM
I would recommend downloading the Microsoft Security Essentials. It is a free program and I know it works very well. When others have had issues with other programs, this one continues to work without issues.
 sureicanhelp
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/1/2013 5:15:19 AM
Bitdefender is the best period has been for 14 years straight
yes free online scan and a free version and if u want to buy it it very cheap.
Rated so by outside judges - outside of the usa.

online scan: http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html
Free Download:
http://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html

Good Luck
 gentleplus
Msg: 58
view profile
History
Posted: 4/2/2013 7:10:20 AM
avast.... free
 sureicanhelp
Msg: 59
Posted: 4/2/2013 9:06:38 AM
Like i said avast is crap Bitdefender is Number 1 14 years straight and here is a free one
 Iron-nerd
Msg: 60
Posted: 4/10/2013 9:09:34 PM
Avast is great in my opinion. There is a free version and that's all you need. Nice interface, doesn't take a lot of resources and hasn't caused any interference with other programs like many others have for me in the past.
 oldie_but_hottie
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 5/30/2013 2:04:41 PM
I have tried them all at some point and for the last few years have stuck with COMODO - it is loaded, performs well, and is FREE!
 forums1
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/1/2013 7:36:05 PM

I will not connect any computer to the Internet unless I am behind a hardware firewall/router (you can get a basic one for around $35)

I agree with that statement 100%.

For myself, this machine, I have an old Norton Corporate 10 installed (although I've had things get through it), AVG (free), and Malwarebytes (free version) that I run a full scan with probably monthly. I won't run McAfee, I've heard way too many "ugly stories" about it doing bad things to people's machines (not virus related, but it doesn't play well with some things apparently). I also run the free SpyBot occasionally to clean up all the tracking cookies and crap that seem to slowly work their way into the browsers over time.
 CERVANTES7
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 8/26/2013 9:02:33 AM
buying seems a bit over the top some of the best ones tested are free
 wolvesatthedoor
Msg: 64
Posted: 8/26/2013 12:37:06 PM
Avast works great and it isn't bloated. Forget Norton and MacAfee for sure!
 nipoleon
Msg: 66
view profile
History
Posted: 10/13/2013 10:35:10 AM
Personally, I use Avast free for the real time protection.
Be sure to put Avast on " silent mode " or it will drive you crazy telling you every time it blocks something.

I also use Slim Cleaner because it's fast, free and doesn't interfere with anything that I can tell. It also has a lot of other useful functions. I have it set so that it will run an automatic scan whenever I boot up the computer which only takes a couple of minutes. It's open source and they never ask you to pay for anything.

I like C Cleaner which is just as good as Malware bytes and doesn't prompt you to pay. I hate programs which are always asking you to pay to do the complete job.

I also like Advanced System Care which will actually repair things on your computer. The free version is good but I opted to pay for it and it's not expensive, about $25 per year. However, don't be tempted to download all the stuff they offer, most of it is useless.

Remember, there's a difference between cleaning registry errors and fixing registry errors. Almost nobody fixes errors.

I tried AVG and found it very invasive and tended to take over the computer. You actually have to download an AVG remover tool to fully get rid of it once you put it on your computer. Heaven help you if you don't want their damned tool bar.
Comodo is the same way, but I do like Comodo Dragon web browser. I like Comodo Dragon better than IE or FireFox. It's fast and simple without all those add on's.

Don't take my word for it.
Go to C Net, or PC World web sites and read reviews about programs before deciding.
Microsoft essentials never rates very well . I tried it for a while but found it's slow and there's malware that will blow right past it.
The same is true for McAfee.

It's a good idea to have 3 or 4 scanning programs and use them regularly on a rotating basis. What one program won't catch, another will.
But never use more than one real time scanner at the same time. They tend to interfere with each other and your computer will start to crawl to a stop.
 drbojingle
Msg: 67
Posted: 11/23/2013 5:51:45 AM
The best anti-virus is between the keyboard and the chair. It's also the source of all computer trouble too though. It's all a matter of being able to pick up on what's bullshit and what's not when your browsing. With that said, I've used malware bytes, spybot and avg in the past. I'll still use these from time to time but, if there's a real issue on my computer I wipe it. It's the safest thing to do.
 SmellyOne
Msg: 68
view profile
History
Posted: 2/3/2014 4:33:41 PM
If you still insist on using Windows, use Avast as your anti-virus. It's free. Regardless of how "good" the most expensive anti-virus programs claim to be, the people with those tend to be the most infected because those pieces of software are, at best, reactive (to discovered threats), not pro-active. What does that mean? It means what the previous guy said — the person sitting in the chair is still the problem, going to sites they shouldn't and clicking on random links because they THINK they are impervious.

Where I disagree with the previous poster is that, in the 25+ years I've been using computers, I've NEVER had to "wipe a drive" and start over. This is a cure-all for Windows users only.

I make the suggestion of either Mac (which may cost you a bit more up front) or Linux (which is completely free and will run better than Windows or Mac OS X on the same hardware). In either case, the problems with malware are far less an issue.

Now, some people will tell you that these targets don't get hit because they're so small, they're not worth going after. I'd argue that these same people have NEVER taken a statistics class. Ever.

A discussion for a different thread, I suppose. Avast for anti-virus. Malwarebytes and Spybot for almost everything else. All free.
 phule
Msg: 69
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2014 1:37:38 PM
Well... as someone who works in the field of computer repair, specifically dealing directly with the consumer and their computers, I've had the privilege of cleaning infected machines.

Here's what I've found.

No Anti-Virus protects completely.

Something will always get through... whether it is an actual virus, or malware, or spyware.

The best AV I've found so far, I actually stumbled across at Staples. The AV isn't what is impressive. It is the service.

Let's say you pay for Nod32, and something gets through. What then? You need to dig up a bunch of other tools to clean it, or you have to take it to a shop and have them clean it... right?

There's an AV called Sophos. I'm not talking about their new cloud AV service. I'm talking about their regular, $60 a year service. What makes Sophos different is how they handle infections.

If something gets past Sophos, you call them. If your computer allows it (and due to some infections, it's not possible) you will be walked through allowing the Sophos people to connect to your computer by remote, where they will proceed to clean your computer with whatever tools it takes. If they can't clean it by remote, for whatever reason, they will contract a local technician to come to your home and clean your computer to their standards. So... for your $60 a year, they guarantee that one way or another THEY will clean your machine if it is infected.

To me... that makes them the best right now.
 phule
Msg: 70
view profile
History
Posted: 2/20/2014 8:22:27 PM
No, I'm not advertising for Staples, or Sophos. I'm merely saying that it appears to me to be the best AV out there, since for your money, you are guaranteed to get a clean machine.

What other AV guarantees that for a Windows machine? How exactly is it bad advice to say that if you want the best protection, and you are willing to pay at some point for a clean machine, that this is one to consider?

Now.. for people who can clean their own machines, and don't have to worry about paying anyone any money at all... I don't have anything more than MSE running on all my machines. Then again, I've learned where to go and where not to go.

I notice you didn't come down on anyone else for mentioning a brand name. That is interesting. You only say something to me, when I actually provide a recommendation that always results in a clean computer. I wonder why that is? I mean, the first AV that are named in the freakin title are all paid solutions too. You didn't come down on the OP for advertising.

I'm glad you can afford to go everywhere. I don't have that kind of money. I'm glad you can clean people's machines for free as well. I did that in Vegas and Tallahassee for a few years each. It's satisfying until the phone starts ringing at 2 and 3 in the morning, because a friend of a friend of someone I helped for free wants me to come over right then and clean their machine in 30 minutes... and gets mad when I tell them no because it's 3am and it can't be done in 30 minutes.
 MikeTO12345
Msg: 71
Posted: 2/23/2014 4:01:33 PM
Esest ist the best I have ever used. Kaspersky is the 2nd. I don't like the free ones it isn't as good for detecting viruses.
 MikeTO12345
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/4/2014 6:06:28 AM
Don't install from untrusted sources like from torrents. Use limited user on your windows account, that will prevent most the malware.

"Ninety-two percent of all vulnerabilities reported by Microsoft with a critical severity rating can be mitigated by removing admin rights," states the enterprise-security firm Avecto, of Manchester, England, in a new report.

"Removing admin rights would mitigate 96 percent of critical vulnerabilities affecting Windows operating systems, 91 percent of critical vulnerabilities affecting Microsoft Office and 100 percent of vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer," Avecto said.

That may sounds complicated, but it's not. There are two kinds of user accounts in Windows machines: Administrator accounts, which can add, alter or remove software and change system-wide settings, and standard accounts, which can't do any of that.

Most malware can do only as much damage as the active user is permitted to do, and malware that infects standard users can't install, alter or delete other software packages. In other words, limiting your own abilities also limits what malware can do.

There are exceptions to these rules — Google Chrome permits user-specific installations for standard users, for example, and some malware can perform "escalations of privilege" to gain administrative rights from a standard account.

But nearly all malware that meets the Microsoft definition of "critical" — i.e., that can remotely execute code without the legitimate user's permission — can be hindered or stopped by use of standard accounts.

Hence, it's best to perform everyday computer work — Web surfing, emailing, Photoshopping, Microsoft Office work — as a standard user, even if you're the only user for a particular machine. (Windows 7 and 8 standard users can perform administrative tasks if they input the password for an admin account.)

Almost anything nasty that gets in through a Web browser or email attachment will be limited to that account alone and can't damage the rest of the machine.

Unfortunately, most home computers, and even many computers in business or other enterprise environments, are set up so that the primary user has administrative privileges.

"If malware infects a user with admin rights, it can cause incredible damage locally, as well as on a wider network," Avecto states. "Additionally, employees with admin rights have access to install, modify and delete software and files as well as change system settings."

To protect your home computer, create a separate administrator account, give it a strong password and use it only to install or update software. Don't sign into the administrator account for everyday computer use.

Then, use that admin account to downgrade your own primary account, as well as those of other users, to standard (and make sure those accounts have passwords too).

Avecto has posted its full report online, but the company will ask for your name and email address before you can read it.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/standard-accounts-stop-malware,news-18326.html
Show ALL Forums  > Technology/Computers  >