Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Accumulation versus simplifying - which phase are you in ?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ailinn
Msg: 41
view profile
History
get used to it here. Actual responses to one's posts are rare. Your story just doesn't register to SPage 4 of 5    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5)
I am kinda getting use to it. And you are so right!
Some of these FORUMS go on and on and on ----- almost full circle.
Some of the posters are really nasty tooo!!!
And then again some are very nice.
For example, I received a very nice personal message (sent to my inbox) from someone.
And your response was helpful as well!!! Thank-you
So I took a risk and told the truth about a part of my "real life".

Why bother in the FORUMS if everything about "you" is next to perfect.
Notice I didn't say "PERFECT"
 ankkka
Msg: 42
Accumulation versus simplifying - which phase are you in ?
Posted: 3/2/2010 8:34:50 AM
Life should be comfortable and your style is your comfort.
Some people don't have any style.
Most older people accumulate old and useless things...because they are afraid about future.
 Ailinn
Msg: 43
view profile
History
Accumulation versus simplifying HOW ABOUT LETTING GO!!
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:42:46 PM
Today I filled 2 garbage bags with clothes,belts,purses, and shoes. In the morning I am taking them to a local Women's Treatment Center.
I've made the phone call-they are expecting me, so I won't be changing my mind.

I also talked with my niece and we are going to start planning a "Barn Sale".
She has a Barn and I know my stuff will fit in there.

Happy Birthday Little Brother today you are 50,,,, doesn't seem like 8 years since you left our physical world.
The other night, when I was reading some of the responses to my my post I began to cry.
And you know what??? I finally got angry with my Brother.
ATB,
Ailinn
 DeliveryRN
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Accumulation versus simplifying HOW ABOUT LETTING GO!!
Posted: 3/2/2010 10:34:34 PM
Ailinn, I was so happy to see your last post. I am hoping that you will be able to feel empowered, as you see the joy, your unneeded possessions brings to others. I have always been a big believer in by doing for others we release our own troubles and anxieties.
Our life experiences change us. I found that after my divorce the less possessions I had the freer I felt. I guess the relief of being free from my needy husband felt so good that I just keep moving in that direction. My current practice is zero tolerance for anything material that takes away from the simple pleasures of life. I only desire what I need and things that give me great pleasure. So I have money for to buy quality items and the time to enjoy them. The less I have to clean and maintain the happier I am.
Peace be with you Ailinn.
 Ailinn
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Accumulation versus simplifying -Perhaps agree that you will pick one room which phase are you in ?
Posted: 3/5/2010 6:04:51 PM
Although I have a slight case of VERTIGO right now I am going to work in the Kitchen.
I've decided to throw away the dishes that I rarely use.
I will also throw out stuff that I do not need--but hung on to for sentimental reasons.

I might have a little ceremony. Get out the candles and of course the smudge.

Music ??.......um..............
what do you think?? Mozart?, Madonna? Moody Blues??
 rearguard*2
Msg: 46
view profile
History
Posted: 3/8/2010 11:58:48 AM
I am making a concerted effort to get rid of stuff that has filled my houses over the decades. I find its a great mental and physical effort to do so, however. Deciding what to do with perfectly good stuff is exhausting, and physically carting it somewhere is also a labour.

Tools? Never!!!! Books? I keep them as well, but have lately run out of place to put them. Other stuff, like kids sports stuff and clothes all go to the GoodWill.

The real problems are left over ceramic tiles, pieces of wood that eventually come in handy, old dishes and cutlery that are still in fine condition, and furniture that various women in my life have banished to the cellar, and stuff that I love but will never use again!
 ankkka
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/8/2010 12:20:33 PM
For years...I clean my house every Spring and Fall...and I don't keep old and useless things.
Why you keep that old stuff you don't use?
Perhaps you like bacterias and germs around you...

By the way...poor people don't need your old stuff...they want and need money.
 debranator
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2010 6:49:38 PM
I noticed that most of the posters to this thread..are on the spartan versus hoarding vein.
I must confess..to being a lifetime accumulator....and now that I can afford it..a large accumulator of high end heels..because I like them ...that simple.
But..what concerned me in the original post....
is the point..at our age..that so many feel that they have one foot in..and one on a banana peel...[and yes..i am 3 years older than my profile says]....
I do not get that kind of thinking....
we are still young..we are..
i just up sized to a larger, more upscale home...with more room for my possessions..and shoes.
In fact,I am sick of dating men..that feel their number may soon be called..so they have to....rush into a relationship,marriage..ect....
before it does.
I feel 50 is a new beginning ,not the end.[hopefully..a lightening bolt..will not strike me tonight.]
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 49
Posted: 4/27/2010 10:59:11 AM
Please reach out to the television show, "Hoarders", Ailinn....they have professional people with the commitment to help individuals such as yourself, if you truly want the help.

Peace and Blessings
 SunnyBlueSkies23
Msg: 50
Posted: 10/17/2011 5:36:36 PM
For me, I'd say I'm kind of in both acccumulating & simplifying now. (Do I have an oxy-moron thing going here??! ) Let me try to explain........I'm a collector. I collect beautiful butterfly knick-knacks,roosters, beach stuff,glass animals, enchanting ceramic masks....you name it! (including DUST BUNNIES.......I've started naming them....just kidding! ) I've got A LOT of things that will never leave me that were given to me by my Mom,my Grandparents,my friends,my parents....that have a lot of special meaning & happy memories for me. That's my accumulation. Then, I have things that I give away.......other knick-knacks,lap trays, writing paper,vases,silk flowers,vacuumes,decorations.......that are still in good shape; I just don't NEED them anymore. I usually set at least 1 bag or box outside near our dumpsters of things I don't want at least 2 to 3 times a year....anybody else here in my apartment complex can then pick through & choose what they want. It makes other people happy, and gets rid of things that I don't need....the best of both worlds! That's how i simplify.Makes perfect sence to me!
 zippytwo
Msg: 51
Posted: 10/17/2011 10:31:01 PM
Simplifying, de-cluttering....wonder why I have all this stuff I don't pay any attention to.

Trying to downsize and finding not all that hard to let stuff go....it's actually very liberating, after all it's not a contest to see who has the most stuff....it isn't, right?
 DrummingNut
Msg: 52
Posted: 10/18/2011 4:36:39 AM
To the poster who said downsizing/simplifying means we're probably feeling and acting 'old'..
I feel YOUNGER and more free now that I've greatly simplified/downsized!
The old stuff around me, somewhat holding me down, made me feel old... not the getting rid of it.
 libralaughing
Msg: 53
Posted: 10/18/2011 7:11:55 AM
Years ago it all seemed about having these 'things' around me; over the past several years, the 'simplify bug' has taken root. I have equal amounts of what I need and what I want. When someone comes to my apartment and makes a comment like, "oh, you could buy a table, etc. and put it in that empty spot," it makes me smile. No thank you, I don't need to fill that empty spot - it suits me just fine, thank you! Last year, I saw something online about '6 essential items' regarding clothing: have 6 pieces (i.e. pants, blouse, t-shirt, etc.) that become your entire wardrobe (3 white t-shirts, for example, only count as 1 piece, since you do have to launder things - same with 2 or 3 pairs of the same style/color jeans). Another color of the same item counts as another item.) Anyway ... I loved it. It made me creative, and it also made it alot simpler to get dressed in the mornings, whether for work or a day off. As for men who are in the
'accumulation stage,' I wish them well. As long as I don't have to put it in my space!
 pretzelman60
Msg: 54
Posted: 10/19/2011 4:21:49 PM
I am actually down sizing. More out of necessity, after splitting with my wife. But I am content where I am. But it kind of reminds me of that Jerry Reed song"...I was willing to give her fair share, but I didn't know her share was gonna be that much!" But now I realize I really didn't need all the gadgets that I had. As long as I have a computer(slow as it is), a television and all the kitchen utencils. I can be happy!

JMO
 jd4real49
Msg: 55
Posted: 10/19/2011 4:41:04 PM
This year I downsized from a 1700 sq ft double car garage house in the burbs to a one bedroom 550 sq ft apartment close to downtown.

I'm free and loving it.
 pretzelman60
Msg: 56
Posted: 10/19/2011 4:42:57 PM
^^^^^^^Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!!

JMO
 Irish Eyez
Msg: 57
Posted: 10/19/2011 5:02:27 PM
I have always simplified. I live a non-cluttered, minimalistic life. Tailored looks, clean lines.

My fave word when it comes to this is 'EDIT'
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 58
Posted: 10/19/2011 5:04:01 PM
...Definitely simplifying....sorta. *grin*

I'm moving in ten days from a 2200 sq ft home, double garage to a home half the size. So yeah, downsizing.
I can't believe the amount of stuff I have accumulated over the years. Gawd...talk about hoarding. I save everything....Time to let go.
In doing this, I can seriously emphasize with the "real hoarders". It was tough letting go...really. But I feel good....very cleansing. Make sense?

...mae
 c_deacon
Msg: 59
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 9:06:16 AM
Are we talking homes or relationships???.......

When it comes to owning things, I do accumulate, but as I do, out with the old and in with the new, or keep the best around and eliminate the rest......Wait, I do that with my relationships too..................

Never mind!!..............

cd........................
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 60
Posted: 10/20/2011 10:12:25 AM

When it comes to owning things, I do accumulate, but as I do, out with the old and in with the new, or keep the best around and eliminate the rest......Wait, I do that with my relationships too..................

I'm not quite sure how to respond to that but it was funny as hell. So what "phase" are you in?

...mae
 c_deacon
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 10/20/2011 10:17:45 AM
I guess the accumulation one !!.................

You know......accumulate......simplify..............accumulate............simplify.......

This dating and relationship stuff can be so hard.....so to speak!!...........

cd...............
 aboutgettingby
Msg: 62
Posted: 10/20/2011 3:22:38 PM
Mentally and emotionally I have downsized, physically I have not started, nor have I started planning it. I would love nothing better than to have a house half my size that is paid for. I've never been a big accumulator of stuff. The things I enjoy like running, hiking, biking, rollerblading don't require alot. I have so much of my wifes stuff that it scare's the h$ll out of me even thinking about what to do with it.

There still is a longing for material things though, I really want a snowbird house that would allow me to escape the winters. Nothing grand but comfortable in a nice location.
 NiceGuy97415
Msg: 63
Posted: 10/21/2011 12:49:16 AM
I'm still in the accumulation phase.

I figure I've got 7 more years max ... then I'm downsizing/simplifying to nothing but a very large sailboat, and sailing the world for the rest of my life.

:)
 cin____dy
Msg: 64
Posted: 10/21/2011 3:04:03 AM
Yes! When I was much younger I was into working all the time and made great money, hard to date because I made more than most of the guys I met, so that didn't work out too well.,
Now I am into simplyfy, now it is all about how come you don't have tons of money?

I think my phases were not meshing with the times.
 BLoNde__ANgeL
Msg: 65
Posted: 10/21/2011 12:42:37 PM
I am downsizing so when retirement comes, I can move into a tiny house (look up Jay Shafer)...I have sold, consigned & still donate to Goodwill- in fact I have another carload to take over next week- I replaced my 7 ft fake xmas tree w/ a 3.5 ft one & will also donate the larger tree & many ornaments.

I am also doing something called Project 333...a minimalist named Courtney Carver came up w/ an idea that you take a 3 month time frame & commit to wearing only 33 apparel items in that time frame. The guidelines are on the net. Another woman is doing 36/365-limiting herself to 36 items of clothes for the entire year...mind you, she lives in San Diego, a temperate climate.

My cupboards & closets have much more space, & I feel more relaxed...when the time comes to move, it will be easier to pack. I use what I have & have what I need. If I need to find something, it is sooo easy
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  > Accumulation versus simplifying - which phase are you in ?