Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 StevieCashmere
Msg: 44
view profile
History
Smooth Face or Slim Body?Page 2 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Lovely Personality...the other 2 might get a 'date' but this the only ingredient is for a real relationship

~sc~
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Smooth Face or Slim Body?
Posted: 2/27/2010 7:15:04 AM
Getting a date is LOTS more things than a trim body, pretty face, and "a lovely personality".

Yes, for sure getting 30 or 40 pounds overweight will pretty much destroy social life, as will an ugly personality.

Yet ...

... one has to WANT a date before one can get a date. And there are thousands of ways for a woman to tell a man she simply does not want a date, perhaps with him, perhaps with no man.

Baggy clothes, unflattering hair style, clunky shoes, purse held over chest, shoulders turned away from him, knees tightly together, arms together, palms never facing up, never leaning into the guy, never pressing one's hips against the guy, never dropping one's head to look out the tops of the eyes, never turning one's head left or right to look out the sides of eye, never massaging one's necks, never touching one's throat, never picking "lint" off one's blouse, never scratching one's hand or wrist, never crossing one's ankles, cutting off a smile before it develops, never asking the guy about him, cutting him off in mid-sentence, lifting back when the guy is talking, dismissing his thoughts, complaining that "all men are interested in is sex", talking about the latest news item which shows purported violence against women, complaining about "glass ceilings", complaining that laudries charge more to iron a woman's blouse compared to a man's shirt, and on into the night, the day after, the week after, the seasons after.

There are thousands and thousands and thousands of way to kill the ardor of even the most interested of men.

When a trim woman with a good looking face and "a lovely personality" can't get a date, SHE is doing something to tell all those men who approach her that she is NOT interested.

Men, they be smarts, they catch on quickly.

Think not? Change the genders in the paragraph that starts "Baggy clothes" and ask yourself just how long even the most interested of women would stick around a guy who acted like that. And, yes, some guys do act like that. Some guys who simply don't want that woman, other guys who don't want any woman.

If one wants a date, one has to WANT a date. If one wants to project an interest in a potential partner, all one has to do is what movie actors do, which is to tell themselves they "will ACT as if they are sexually, emotionally, intellectually" interested. It works, for actors, and for lovers.

On the other hand, looking at a potential mate and projecting the thought "What's wrong with this turkey?" tends to come across as one without interest.
 WaywardWynde
Msg: 48
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 10:23:05 AM

In my recent dating experiences, men desire trim, fit women that are attractive, however they seem to think nothing of their larger than average stomachs.

To hear women tell the public story, women (from puberty on) are interested only in a man's "personality", NOT his looks. Having heard that story again and again and again and again over whatever period of time, some men actually believe that.

My sincere suggestion is if a woman does not want to sit across a restaurant table from a man with a bellly, she shoudn't sit across a restaurant table from a man with a belly. If a woman wants to date only men with a trim belly, she should date only men with a trim belly.

Problem solved.

Actually, after a bit the guy(s) with a belly figure out it's time to lose the belly.

It also helps to never have a dinner date with a man unmet. Unpleasant looking men figure that the price of a " fine dinner" will get them a date or two they would not otherwise get. Sometimes they are right.
 moraima
Msg: 51
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 2:43:15 PM
Friend of mine (Chiropactor of humans first then changed to working with dogs and horses) just appeared in a TV series about women as they age, and how they deal with it. She is 60, and in great physical shape. She is a beautiful women of Canadian Native, and Russian decent. She accepted a plastic surgery of her choice as part of the shows benefits. She is almost wrinkle free. However, she had a lift done on her lower eyes.
The result was that she (and this was televised) now questions just what the H was wrong with her self esteem that she she would be stupid enough to do that to herself.

We live and learn about ourselves every day.
 DeliveryRN
Msg: 52
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 2:57:47 PM
I have watched young men checking out a woman with a really "hot" body, then seen the look of shock when they see their old face. They look as if they just realized they were hot for grandma. Funny.
Point in case, we are our age, smooth, wrinkled, fat, or thin.
The biggest lie going on these days is, beauty translates directly to happiness. I see many pictures of physically beautiful, healthy people on POF.
There is proof in the pudding after all.
 Vannili
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 2:58:06 PM
I think in any age slim is good for health and savvy dressing... but as we age our waistline expanded a little or a lot.. Our smooth face has nothing to do with slimness or stoutness, but with not smoking or stress and bad habit of sleeping.
 woobytoodsday
Msg: 54
Posted: 2/27/2010 5:27:12 PM
Actually, after a bit the guy(s) with a belly figure out it's time to lose the belly.

How would that happen, lol!? Women haven't figured it out yet. . . .

kari135
Msg: 55
view profile
History
Posted: 2/27/2010 5:51:51 PM

How would that happen, lol!? Women haven't figured it out yet. . . .

I've seen a whole lot of photos lately of men in their 50s-70s who look more like beer kegs or the Pillsbury Dough Boy, yet they are looking for someone in the 25-40 year range. Me, I think they'll have to go overseas and buy a bride if they want to find that.
 GRP60
Msg: 56
Posted: 2/27/2010 8:09:44 PM
"most mature men are going to be looking at the whole package of the woman/"

I find the first skin I automatically look at is on the neck, and I automatically scan for sun damage. Then the around the eyes which might reveal some smoking related damage, then the hair for excessive colour treatment damage, and then the body for poor nutrition damage. A bit of extra fat isn't a turn-off if the personality suggests a latent will for increasing exercise and nutritional concerns that can be triggered by the prospect of a supportive partner. But any indication of regular tanning, smoking, binging, overdoing toxic makeup and foot torture with bad spiked heels and I'm gone...
 GRP60
Msg: 58
Posted: 2/27/2010 9:07:23 PM
Obviously I check out the eyes, everyone does. And the query here is about the physically attractive qualities, NOT personality, although I consider that perverse habits such as tanning, wearing shoes that torture over time, wearing toxic skin paint, mascara, lipstick, animal-based perfume, hair colouring agents etc. reflects a neurotic personality that I absolutely avoid!
 sosdd
Msg: 59
Posted: 2/27/2010 9:14:23 PM
wearing toxic skin paint, mascara, lipstick, animal-based perfume, hair colouring agents etc. reflects a neurotic personality that I absolutely avoid!
Actually this sounds like you are the neurotic one. Cosmetics actually are made to help the skin to be more healthful now days, it isn't paint. I love flower scents such as honeysuckle. I can be sitting in the office and put on some honeysuckle lotion and enjoy the fragrance and take a mind break for a couple minutes knowing others also enjoy the fragrance. I admit, I don't color my hair. May be one day I will get sick of all the whites comming in, but I think I prefer to think someone will love me regardless of how many wrinkles or white hairs I have. I am not going to put on weight to avoid wrinkles, already have them. I am alive and they are part of life and the aging process.

Now if they could put more hours in the day so that my two days off I wouldn't be too tired to do anything!
 GRP60
Msg: 60
Posted: 2/27/2010 9:53:03 PM
someone will love me regardless of how many wrinkles or white hairs I have

Well that's the whole point... to be sufficiently confident not to need cosmetics, and have sound nutritional and exposure habits that promote real health. I know that new facial exfoliants and moisturisers are healthy too, but not much make-up designed to hide imperfections. Essential oils can provide a valuable uplift and healthy benefits too.
 WalksOnWater2
Msg: 61
Posted: 2/27/2010 10:49:39 PM

Do you look at the face or the body first?

That would greatly depend on whether he's coming or going....

thecatsmeoww
Msg: 62
Posted: 2/28/2010 3:56:19 AM

Obviously I check out the eyes, everyone does. And the query here is about the physically attractive qualities, NOT personality, although I consider that perverse habits such as tanning, wearing shoes that torture over time, wearing toxic skin paint, mascara, lipstick, animal-based perfume, hair colouring agents etc. reflects a neurotic personality that I absolutely avoid!

Wow and I thought I was bad.. So a woman that eats a healthy diet that promotes proper pigmentation of her skin, wears flats (also best not be made of animal skin), no tattoos,no hair coloring, no lipstick, and absolutely no mascara!!!

This will reflect a person that is not neurotic to you?

thecatsmeoww
 sosdd
Msg: 63
Posted: 2/28/2010 7:53:21 AM

to be sufficiently confident not to need cosmetics, and have sound nutritional and exposure habits that promote real health. I know that new facial exfoliants and moisturisers are healthy too, but not much make-up designed to hide imperfections.
I have read some women need cosmetics because they have some real medical problems with their complexion; however, most women use it to enhance! It isn't used for confidence. I hear some people use alcohol for confidence, never heard cosmetics used for that. Again some woman may hide imperfections, but I pretty much know women that use it to enhance what they have, no hiding. Welcome to 2010, we don't wear white lead.
 DivineBovine
Msg: 67
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2010 4:14:22 AM

why are you trolling these waters for a LTR when you aren't even single? Sorry guy, but separated still means not available except for a rebound fling. You are certainly entitled to express your opinion

and you're certainly entitled to express yours - but i'm wondering who died and made YOU Big Fish?????

you have no idea if he separated last month, last year or 5 years ago. and if married people are more than welcome on this site to trawl for something "on the side", GRP - crazy notions and all - is more than welcome here.

rossal
Msg: 68
Posted: 3/1/2010 1:38:33 PM
No lines or wrinkles and I smoke....gotta be genetics.......Some day ii fear I may wake up and..."Dorian Grey"anyone?
 *mae* flowers
Msg: 72
Posted: 3/2/2010 9:49:35 PM

Do you look at the face or the body first?

That would greatly depend on whether he's coming or going....

... In all honesty, I notice the face first... the eyes, the mouth...something very sensual about a man's lips....draws me in.
And then there's the rest of the anatomy. There's something to be said for a pair of nice fitting levi's....coming or going.

...mae
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 73
Posted: 3/3/2010 1:39:48 AM
Obviously I notice a man's body first.. That tells me how well he takes care of it. The next thing I look at is the condition of his skin and nails.. Then I move on from there.

However in one case I really found it difficult to move beyond his eyes.. However I did get a preview of his fit body while he was walking towards me..

thecatsmeoww
 TryAgan
Msg: 75
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2010 3:28:56 AM
Island Raven - msg 78

I think it is safe to say no one accused Marilyn Monroe of being trim or slim or slender ..by today's standards she would be considered full figured

Contrary to the wisdom often cited by plump ladies in POF fora, Marilyn Monroe was not a voluptuous size 16, she was size 8, and even in her plumper times, she didn't exceed size 10.
In other words, although she was heavier than today's superslim models, she fared very well, compared to most women on POF who list their body type as "average".

many men find fuller figured women very attractive

Correct statement would be not "many", but "some". And then there are others who's preference are slender women who do not get defensive if some men like women with a different body type.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 77
Posted: 3/3/2010 4:31:26 AM

Contrary to the wisdom often cited by plump ladies in POF fora, Marilyn Monroe was not a voluptuous size 16, she was size 8, and even in her plumper times, she didn't exceed size 10.
In other words, although she was heavier than today's superslim models, she fared very well, compared to most women on POF who list their body type as "average".

Indeed she was a trim size 8 and she had slim legs to die for. She managed to be so well endowed and not carry fat elsewhere on her body .. I think that is one of the reasons people think she was voluptuous..

I think most models I see today are a size 4.. At least the ones I am seeing going down the runways here.. Super skinny does not look good and it not at all healthy for you.. Your body fat should be in the proper range.. Unfortunately not all super models are healthy.

Something to keep in mind though is how others view you. They may think you have no body fat on you, simply because they are not used to seeing someone within the lower end of what is in fact the proper range.

Indeed there are some men that certainly do prefer extra padding..

Different strokes for different folks, that is what makes the world go round.

thecatsmeoww
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 79
Posted: 3/3/2010 11:49:57 AM

Marilyn Monroe was 5'2 and weighed 140 pounds at her height of her career - not a size 8 guys LOL

According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
Weight: 118-140 pounds
Bust: 35-37 inches
Waist: 22-23 inches
Hips: 35-36 inches
Bra size: 36D

So at her lowest weight 118 pounds puts her 8 pounds more than I am.. However she was an inch and half taller than I am.. I am guessing she was a size 6 because I am a size 4..

Now at her heaviest probably a size 10

Look at the shape of her though.. Talk about about a perfect hourglass figure.. No waist to speak of and hips equal her bust line..

thecatsmeoww
 GRP60
Msg: 85
Posted: 3/3/2010 2:31:28 PM
I was focussed on the face because most unappealing physical features can be improved, unless varicose veins are quite apparent. I would support a woman's right to choose whatever natural products she chose to apply, but not the makeup crap from a generation ago. I admittedly used it too in my foolish & vain youth, but realised that attempts to cover up skin damage were best replaced by more efficient cleansing techniques. I just don't find a painted lady attractive, although the extra lashes and eyelash hues do enhance the attraction of already compelling face, and my eyes are less likely to droop to the cleavage! As for the body... I suppose I was trained to avoid any scrutiny below the neckline as rude, and only comment on the efficiency of the body when in motion...
 TryAgan
Msg: 89
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2010 7:02:13 PM
Island Raven - msg 91

I don't think anyone posting was referring to feeling envy about Marilyn Monroe - the discussion was about our perception of her size which no one seems to know for sure

I would tend to believe her dressmaker's measurements and my movie recollections rather than your numbers - you just shrank her almost 4 inches. Many women would get delirious by getting the 4".

What else you got up your sleeve?
 DivineBovine
Msg: 90
view profile
History
Posted: 3/3/2010 7:14:39 PM

Another thing that no-one has mentioned is sugar. Once you're over 40 you really need to eliminate it from your diet because it causes all sorts of problems including wrinkles.

please provide a link to a peer-reviewed study in a reputable scientific/medical journal that indicates that sugar causes wrinkles.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >