Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 blueyesrsmiling
Msg: 91
Smooth Face or Slim Body?Page 3 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
Well today I took a trip back into time literally. I met the first man that I ever fell in love with for lunch.....I was nervous I hadn't seen him for 30yrs so to say I hadn't changed would be to say the least....he showed up and all I could see was his blue eyes and his happy smile.........I loved it. He looked just the same. Yes their were differences like he was heavier.....but that isn't what I noticed about him. His face was still beautiful to me......and he told me I was beautiful and he was proud of me....I loved it. So time has changed us but it also hasn't ........depends on how you look at it....
I think sometimes we make to much of aging. The heart is still young and happy whenever we are with someone that makes us feel special.......and I hate the clique that I felt young and desired today........Yeah Me........
 DeliveryRN
Msg: 92
view profile
History
Smooth Face or Slim Body?
Posted: 3/3/2010 9:51:40 PM
All that debate about MM, her weight, height , measurements, and beauty.
Most all would agree that the woman was beautiful. What is so overwhelming sad is that she died alone and, by the words of those closest to her, extremely depressed and broken hearted. Her beautiful body and flawless face not only did not find her true love. it may have even set the stage for never finding real love.
Being attracted to someone is one thing, the ability to truly love is another.
I want a confident man, trust worthy, honest , strong in convection, intelligent, passionate and has the ability to fall in love. A man that would be able to stand by me and comfort if I am one of the 1 in 8 that gets breast cancer and loses my breast and my health, I will take him in what ever package. I in my career I have seen packages, despite all the healthy living in the world, irreparably damaged in a matter of seconds.
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 96
Posted: 3/4/2010 1:51:13 AM

I was focussed on the face because most unappealing physical features can be improved, unless varicose veins are quite apparent. I would support a woman's right to choose whatever natural products she chose to apply, but not the makeup crap from a generation ago.

I do not think a whole lot of women wear the makeup crap from a generation ago.. Things have come a long way since then. I also think that as a woman ages she tends to wear very little makeup.. I know if I spend more than 3 minutes pn my face than I am spending too long a time.

I admittedly used it too in my foolish & vain youth, but realised that attempts to cover up skin damage were best replaced by more efficient cleansing techniques. I just don't find a painted lady attractive, although the extra lashes and eyelash hues do enhance the attraction of already compelling face, and my eyes are less likely to droop to the cleavage!

More efficient cleansing techniques as well as a healthy diet and daily skin care.. Later for the false eyelashes nothing false here and do not have to worry about his eyes drooping to my cleavage either cause he will be in for a little disappointment..

[quoteI suppose I was trained to avoid any scrutiny below the neckline as rude, and only comment on the efficiency of the body when in motion...

I agree scrutiny below the neckline is rude.. but so might be commenting on the efficiency of their body in motion as well?

thecatsmeoww
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 97
Posted: 3/4/2010 2:01:48 AM

please provide a link to a peer-reviewed study in a reputable scientific/medical journal that indicates that sugar causes wrinkles.

Too Much Sugar Causes Wrinkles
The Skin Guru
By Leslie Baumann, M.D. - Posted on Wed, Jun 24, 2009, 6:43 pm PDT
The Skin Guru

I love sweet treats as much as the next person so it pains me to say this, but eating too much sugar causes wrinkles. Sugar triggers a natural process called glycation, which is the same chemical reaction that turns meat brown when you cook it. The sugars bind with tissues to form harmful molecules, called advanced glycation end products (ironically known as AGEs), which damage elastin and collagen -- two substances your skin needs to stay supple and elastic. AGEs also damage the kidneys, brain and other essential organs.

A 2007 study in the British Journal of Dermatology found that sugar's effects on the skin begin to show at about age 35 and become more pronounced as you get older. And it's not just the obvious culprits, like soda and candy, that cause damage; other foods with a high glycemic index, like white bread, pasta and potatoes also cause the formation of AGEs, because they are quickly converted to sugar in the bloodstream. To make matters worse, AGEs also make the skin more susceptible to sun damage, which in turn accelerates the glycation process.

It's hard to resist the lure of chips, cookies and french fries, but cutting down on sugary and starchy foods is the first step toward repairing AGE damage and preventing further glycation from occurring. The GI Database, maintained by the University of Sydney in Australia, is a handy tool that will help you determine the glycemic index of your food and includes many well-known brands and products. (Turn tonight's dinner into tomorrow's great skin.)

Antioxidants are another ally in your fight against glycation. These substances fight free radicals that are caused by sun exposure and can prevent new wrinkles from forming. Excellent sources of antioxidants include tomatoes, red grapes, dark green and orange veggies, acai, pomegranate and tomatoes. They can also be used topically and should be applied twice daily or 30 minutes before sun exposure -- I layer mine under my sunscreen. Try Revaléskin CoffeeBerry Night Cream, Topix Replenix Caffeine Enhanced Green Tea Cream or Kiehl's Lycopene Facial Moisturizing Lotion.

Finally, you can make up for lost collagen by using a prescription retinoid, like Retin-A, Differin or Tazorac. Retinoids are the only products proven to increase collagen production and diminish existing wrinkles. (Learn more: Six great reasons to use a retinoid.)

Wishing you great skin!

thecatsmeoww
 moraima
Msg: 100
view profile
History
Posted: 3/4/2010 8:10:00 PM
Sugar and fat feed cancer.......................worry about wrinkles............sigh!
 sosdd
Msg: 101
Posted: 3/4/2010 8:51:43 PM

makeup crap from a generation ago
Too funny, I actually wear the same blush as I wore 29 years ago! I know that is a generation. Indian Earth still rocks in my book. I will take cosmetic tips from the pros, but ya know just don't know too many men that know much about cosmetics.

Too much of anything isn't good. Everything in moderation, including moderation

Chewy chocolate granola bars...yummmy, sugar. I like my food yummy, and find men to be handsome as apposed to yummy. I also like men with a great face and bod. If I don't want him getting fat, can't see why he would want me too. Health is more important than a few wrinkles any day. Those wrinkles say I have lived.
 ankkka
Msg: 104
Posted: 3/5/2010 6:30:35 AM
I have millions of wrinkles on my face and perfect...healthy slim body...

Healthy fat people are travesty of a human being...

I mean...visually.
 jsphn11
Msg: 105
Posted: 3/5/2010 10:53:13 AM

Yes, for sure getting 30 or 40 pounds overweight will pretty much destroy social life

Another statement from someone who doesn’t know what he is talking about. This is a false statement. Otherwise, I would have no attention from men at all. If that poster doesn’t want to be in a social circle of an overweight woman then some other men will. It’s like saying that being 64 (versus 44) destroys one’s social life.

To this day, however, no woman has ever made my "To Do" list who goes more than 35 pounds overweight.

And how do you know that? Different women carry extra weight differently. Did you actually put them on a scale?
 thecatsmeoww
Msg: 106
Posted: 3/5/2010 12:14:03 PM
Sugar and fat feed cancer.......................worry about wrinkles............sigh!

Along with a host of other problems like diabetes, and the list goes on..
However was answering the question which had to deal with wrinkles.. and not fat or cancers and other problems which I will not list. Otherwise I will have to pull out my documentation on them.. LOL

thecatsmeoww
 Vannili
Msg: 107
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 7:17:14 PM
I have observed a few hott men , I mean really good looking men that they are attracted to older women with slim body, and the faces of those women are homely and wrinkled. I was in a ballroom dance class I have observed this man younger than the woman was so enamored (making eyes) of this tall older woman with black eyeliner around her eyes ,she look like a raccoon and I was wondering what he saw in her , the face is hard and no trace of allureness and freshness,but when we turn it shows her panties ,she was wearing a micro mini flare skirt,perhaps that makes him fall for her.lol And another incident in a western line dancing class this older woman was so slim and this younger man was looking and trying to talk to her, well for me I will be scared if I meet her in a dark alley with her looks devoid of make and mean face. I can go on and on how men are attracted to slim bodied women with homely faces...

Vannili

As an older woman now I want to be so slim too , not for men but for me ,slim body is nice to dress up .. for me dressing up is show a lot of skins and a lot of genuine jewelries.. But I am not going to diet and become anorexic,if I am stout and no man like me ,that is alright with me. I am not going to die without a man..........
 Vannili
Msg: 112
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2010 10:11:06 AM

Of course she does

she does looks smashing too in pictures as 25,but she moves like 62 and who is she kidding?
 deepa2
Msg: 114
Posted: 7/30/2010 7:51:41 PM
According to my brother, men who want really really slim women are really into little boys. or 10 year old girls. According to him, real men like real women. LOL
 Brownlady1953
Msg: 115
Posted: 7/31/2010 7:31:11 PM
I hear what you are saying, deepa2! I consider myself "petite with curves".....I went on a "blind date" with a man who totally freaked out on me in a coffee shop because he was looking for a grown woman who could wear size 00 jeans.....he actually BROUGHT A PAIR ALONG ON THE "DATE" with him, and was very disappointed that they barely fit over my "toned and firm" arms! To him "petite" meant no boobs and no butt, and weight no more than 80 pounds.

And he had a gut that weighed more than 80 pounds, I'd bet!

SueCat51
Msg: 116
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2010 8:40:57 AM
I think there is a BIG misconception that slim = healthy. There's a boat load of slim folks out there with high blood pressure, cholesterol issues, diabetes, etc. Can't be precise in determining whether the outer package of a body = good health. I'd rather choose someone with a little more wrinkles, and a little bit of extra weight that does come with good health, over one who is fashionable thin and has had numerous plastic surgery work done. Unfortunately for us women, it's a double standard, we must be slim and we must be wrinkle free if we're going to get those plum jobs, have success in dating, etc.
 sosdd
Msg: 117
Posted: 8/2/2010 9:33:06 AM
I agree that slim doesn't equal healthy. You can't just be thin, you have to exercise, eat right and visit your doctor. I have naturally high cholesterol that I keep it in check through diet and exercise. If I got fat, put on weight, I know I would have to take meds.

I don't agree that wrinkles mean health and more weight certainly doesn't equal better health.

There is plastic surgery and there is cosmetic plastic surgery. I don't really know anyone that can afford face lifts, tummy tucks, etc. Personally, I have had enough surgeries and know pain accompanies them. Volunteer for that...

Unfortunately for us women, it's a double standard, we must be slim and we must be wrinkle free if we're going to get those plum jobs, have success in dating, etc.
> I don't agree that you have to be wrinkle free to get get plum jobs or success in dating. I feel pretty successful and I sure have my experience shown on my face aka wrinkles and my bf doesn't seem to have problems with them.

I don't believe sugar causes wrinkles, but I sure have them. I personally think heredity, exposure to the sun, and how you care for your skin has more to do with wrinkles. Moisturizer and sunscreen are a daily must.
 satx78218
Msg: 118
view profile
History
Posted: 8/2/2010 10:32:50 AM
"I don't believe sugar causes wrinkles, but I sure have them. I personally think heredity"

You are what you eat, and that includes the biggest organ in your body, your skin.

You can't overcome heredity, but you can sure avoid making it worse.

Advanced Glycation Endproducts, AGEs, nasty stuff for the entire body.
 sosdd
Msg: 119
Posted: 8/2/2010 11:48:54 AM
^^^^^Perhaps I should have phrased it differently, just sugar doesn't cause it. Everything should be in moderation including sugar. Diabetes, is hereditary, thus untreated diabetics do wrinkle faster. If you have a weight problem and you consume sugar, pretty obvious. Moderate consumption of foods that turn to sugar and moderate adding sugar won't cause wrinkles imo. I understand about excess consumption of anything can cause problems including sugar. Anyway, consumption of sugar doesn't cause it, it is excess consumption of sugar that can cause adverse effects including loosing the elasticity of your skin.
 karma1160
Msg: 120
Posted: 8/2/2010 7:53:48 PM
Well why I think a little extra weight plumps
out wrinkles and is normal, I think a man who has a barrel chest that is as hard as a rock because the fat is so compacted is not doable.
If you have a huge stomach it is usually due to lack of proper nutrition like fruits and vegtables in your diet. Fruits keep food moving, vegtables maintain cells and provide maintenance excersize for your colon.
Having large amounts of tummy fat is not cute and it is not acceptable for women or men, it is a heartattack waiting to happen.
If you think for 2 seconds that you can ignore your nutrition after 45 you are mistaken. Not only will having this burden on your body cut down on o2 and CIRCULATION it will slow you down, which in turn will make you stiff from lack of activity. People are not immortal having a barrel chest and being overweight will kill you. Frankly I want someone who wants to feel good, who can move fairly easy, and who's heavy breathing comes from heavy activity.
I don't know where the attitude came from that it is okay for a man but not a woman, but trust me women do not find this pleasant.
 jsphn11
Msg: 121
Posted: 8/4/2010 11:39:05 AM

You don't *have* to choose between wrinkles and fat over 45. You *can* have smooth skin, a hard body and low body fat at an older age.

It's only true for people who were fit for most of their lives. For someone overweight who needs to loose 40-50 lb it is a choice between wrinkles and fat.
 Beyond the Cleavage
Msg: 122
Posted: 8/4/2010 2:30:01 PM
News flash: EVERYONE wrinkles.
You don't have a choice. It's called ageing. You do have a choice about your weight.
 smookymom
Msg: 123
Posted: 5/17/2012 8:19:49 PM
i have just started reading these forums this past week.

i am a people lover, so it has been very interesting to me to read all of the different things people write on here. also, has given me a little snapshot of people's experiences with the whole on line dating thing.

i am 62, was married for 31 years, and just started dating a year and a half ago with on line stuff.

i am quite overweight, and finally at a very late stage trying to get more fit. however, i am probably much more healthy than most people my age. i carry most of my weight waist down, and have been told i am pretty and look ten years younger than my age. i knew going into this that i would get "written off" by a lot of men because of my weight, site unseen. however, i have met a number of men for whom it was not a deal breaker at all, and have had several wonderful romances with very smart, personable, nice looking men.

the only thing i want to say is this. i find it very sad that at this later stage in life, people can be so shallow as to say some of the things i have read on this thread. it doesn't make me mad at all, and i am not being defensive. i just find it discouraging to see so many people talk about physcial appearances as if they were in high school. people say they want a loving relationship...based on waist size?? what about intelligence, laughing, caring, being there for the other person?

so for those who have "requirements" about inches, wrinkles, noses, hair, etc., ponder this:
you could become ill or be in an accident tomorrow, which would leave you scarred or missing body parts. will it be okay with you that no one thinks your a datable person?

the only kind of person i don't like, is the arrogant person. enough said.
 Abby156
Msg: 124
view profile
History
Posted: 5/17/2012 8:29:03 PM
*applauds* Kudos to you.
 1388SmartBlonde
Msg: 125
Posted: 5/17/2012 8:29:10 PM
Since more people are likely to look at my face than my posterior, I suppose I'd choose my face. Not that I have any conrtol over what Mother Nature has planned for either. Life is too short to worry about such nonsense.
 BlackLady1953
Msg: 126
view profile
History
Posted: 5/18/2012 6:33:56 AM
I have both, being petite, and African-American. But so what....I want someone to care about more than my face and body......
 windowgarden
Msg: 127
Posted: 5/18/2012 11:13:15 AM
I think face is still the number one....Being in my mid fifties I very much focus on my face..I have pictures of me and my boyfriend on facebook and so that matters to me...Weight I can lose. At this point in my life I can't change the face unless I want to shell out a lot of money...So I tend to pay extra attention to that.. I am sure most women would...Do correct me if I am wrong
Show ALL Forums  > Over 45  >