Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 miakid84
Msg: 3
view profile
History
Green dot in the In box - user onlinePage 3 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
Yeah, I'd also like to know how to turn that off for myself, I don't click on all my new messages immediately, I also have my profile on Private, so I'd rather not let people know when I am online.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 5
Green dot in the In box - user online
Posted: 3/2/2010 12:45:37 PM
One more vote for an opt out option.
 HawkingJr
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 1:03:57 PM
It must be interesting to be a woman. This green dot has meant absolutely nothing to me, yet women are lining up with pitchforks and torches. It hasn't changed my experience on this site whatsoever -- I don't use it in any sort of way, and I'm surprised so many guys would that it would create a female rebellion. Email isn't chat -- sort of the whole point is to be able to get to it whenever you can and not be concerned with whether the sender or receiver is online. I just find it odd that guys are even bothering with it, but then again, I'm not like most guys.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 8
Posted: 3/2/2010 3:54:19 PM
I just noticed that the green dot only appears on the "inbox" page not the "sent" page, so that's kind of good. As long as you don't reply to the person, they won't see the green dot (at least it gives the girls an extra excuse for not responding). But I'd still prefer it wasn't so noticeable for a person I'm corresponding with to spot that I'm online and assume I'm going to read and/or respond immediately. I realize there are other ways for someone to see if I'm online but I don't figure most people would go to the trouble to find out whereas this puts it right in their face.
 Delete_Me_Please
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/5/2010 3:01:20 AM

I dont see the diffrence between a green dot or user online under their photo on the search.

The difference is that you would have to go out of your way to find that information, which most people wouldn't do. The green dot puts people's online activities right in the other person's face.
 WeAre1
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2010 3:14:55 PM
^It's sort of off topic, but the way it works for me is different than for you....
You wrote, "Mail side is one login and then if you go to forums you're logged in".....I need to always log into both sides to get to both sides. Never have I been logged into the dating side of the site and it automatically log me into the forums.
Is it possible you're forgetting to log out of the forums? Because for me, if I don't log out of them, I can come back the next day and still be logged into the forums, whereas the dating side of the site will time me out and log me off if I forget to.....
(sorry for the wordiness, but I know it has gotten confusing for some with the two sides of the site not working together...at least I never heard of them working together until your post. :)
So, to get back on topic, I am thinking the green dot 'should' not show if you're logged onto the forum side of the site, only....just when you're logged onto the dating/mail/profile side.
Hope that helps clarify....and of course, just when you think you understand something, it just might change.

WeeeSplatt
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 9:38:00 PM
I had my first pre-emptive block the other day... I'd just sent a friendly/funny hello message. No not a bulk spam, I had read the profile and the message I sent was about something on her profile.

The next day I remembered sending the message, but couldn't remember who to, so I looked in my sent mailbox, it wasn't there... Weird thinks me... In looking in the last people to view me I saw the lady I sent it to... Double weird. So I went to send her a message along the lines of "Hi, I thought I'd sent you a message last night, but can't see it, guess that's what happens when I'm still awake at 4am...!" etc etc...

And that's when I found out I was blocked! She hadn't even replied to say "No thanks"!

In my book that's down right arrogant and rude.

I wandered off to "bug" someone else muttering "stuck up rude ****, totally up herself..." for about 30 seconds... Which in hindsight is probably better than someone being polite. At least I wasn't rejected by a polite/nice person!
 WeeeSplatt
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/18/2010 9:41:47 PM
Oh, and my green dot kept telling me some guy in America I'd never spoken to or heard of was online! If it's trying to do some match making it's got the wrong gender!
 U make it entertaining
Msg: 20
Posted: 7/27/2010 7:04:16 AM
I'm with the other ladies.

I am very hesitant to send a "No thank you" message, as I DO NOT want to be tracked as being online.

This is NOT a good feature for the ladies.

PLEASE REMOVE IT, as it is causing stalking.

This will deteriorate the purpose of this site.

In fact it really makes me think if I even want to log onto the actual dating site.
 1954Man
Msg: 23
Posted: 10/22/2010 1:01:22 PM
I have not heard yet if this new feature will be removed or not as admin has not clearly stated his intention on it. I for one do not like this feature as I don't need to be reminded for the next 20 days or so of the ones that did not work out. I wonder too if more mail might be sent with the new meet me feature if they didn't have to deal with the green dot reminding them as well.
 1954Man
Msg: 24
Posted: 5/4/2011 8:01:59 AM
It seems that now a message stays in your inbox 30 days now. More time for that green dot to show people that you have had no interest in to see when you are online as well as them seeing us.

If they show above your inbox they MESSAGED YOU so BLOCK THEM. Problem solved. Did you perhaps read the thread? The answer for now has been posted many times. And the fact the Admin has not answered means it is probably not going to be removed and he never responds to the complaint threads or takes action when a few people don't like it. (or often when hundreds complain) For many of the IM chataholics they seem to love it.

Cowboy
Show ALL Forums  > Plentyoffish Site/Suggestions/Help  >