Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 katz53
Msg: 2
view profile
History
Loved the sports! Hated the cheesy Closing Ceremony!Page 2 of 2    (1, 2)
I couldn't agree more, chatty cat. These ceremonies were being watched world-wide and certainly few would have gotten the "joke"; including many Canadians. It was just cheesy. The best part, IMO, was when the CEO of the Olympic Committee gave his speech; that is, if you don't count his abysmal French - lol.

Overall, the games have been instrumental in bringing Canada together and, hopefully, this feeling will continue in our culture.

And that hockey game! Wow, what a nail-biter, eh?

I am very proud of our Canadian athletes and very proud to be a Canadian!
 VeganCat
Msg: 3
Loved the sports! Hated the cheesy Closing Ceremony!
Posted: 3/1/2010 9:00:18 AM
Yikes!!!! Thats pretty harsh. Never saw it, plain didn't watch the Olympics due to lack of interest. Embarrassed to be Canadian because of a closing ceremony? Wow.

Did anyone like the closing ceremony? Does anyone care?
 butterfly unique
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/1/2010 10:36:18 AM
I liked it , I thought it was funny and the music was awesome. Good job Vancouver on the whole thing
 FunnyAndSweet48
Msg: 10
Posted: 3/1/2010 11:59:27 AM
I agree that the musical numbers were enjoyable, but I was greatly disappointed in the rest of the closing ceremonies because I expected something with a little more class. I also wondered why they didn't get someone with a more authentic accent to do the French portion of that speech; that was almost painful to listen to.

Humour is great but when they came out wheeling giant mounties with horrendously fake faces, flying moose & beavers, I was completely confused. My reaction to most of it was 'WTF?" ... plain & simple. That female comedienne, Catherine O'Hara was it? I've seen her before on talk shows & comedy shows & think she's a hoot. But her humour didn't belong in the closing ceremonies & her skit seemed really awkward.

The ceremonies might have been funny to Canadians who understood it, but I think a class act would have been appreciated much more by everyone across the globe who was watching it. Yes, I too felt it was an embarrassing portrayal of Canada for something as huge as the Olympics.
 REDDRAGON.
Msg: 12
What a Great Job Canada!!
Posted: 3/1/2010 1:23:26 PM

Who ever designed that supposed tongue in cheek representation of Canada should be shot and pi$$ed on!! Didn't anyone consider that the Closing Ceremony would be seen by millions who don't speak english and who won't get the lame joke?! Watching that ceremony was the only time during this whole Olympics when I felt embarassed to be Canadian! And that includes when the protesters were acting up!

You are what you watch???
 white_flag
Msg: 14
Posted: 3/1/2010 2:20:44 PM
Rita, what he meant was that the horn honking WASN'T from New Yorkers; i.e. the stereotypical get the hell out of my way I'm late for you moron, honking. He was playing on a stereotype much like the closing ceremonies played on our stereotypes. The horn honking here has been celebratory, NOT anger-fueled. That's what he meant. I'm sorry you didn't get any sleep but it's over now. Go back to bed.

Yea, I didn't want the Olympics here either but there's nothing that can be done a month before the games or a day after. They were here, we had them, let's try to pick up the pieces and look for the silver lining that's in every cloud. The games brought many, many, many jobs to the region and hopefully the outcome of them will be lucrative and we won't have as daunting a bill as originally predicted. That's what we can hope for now. There's no use crying over spilled milk, or in this case, the Olympics. It happened, there's nothing we could or can do about it.
 Walts
Msg: 17
Posted: 3/1/2010 3:59:40 PM
Canadians will/did get the jokes. Ask yourself thou,,,was the closing ceremony for Canadians "entertainment" only ????? The yanks didn't get it,,,cause the majority will and still believe the stereotypical stuff.After that,,,it was lost on the rest of the world.

I didn't watch much of it,,,but after Neil it was basically over for me anyways. That was Neil Young for those that don't know,,,,and there are Canadians nowadays that don't. Get it yet??????
 ~JustSimplyMe~
Msg: 24
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2010 8:06:33 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics from start to finish. The only thing that makes me happy that they are over, is I don't have to listen to people b!tch and moan about them anymore....well I wouldn't if I stayed out of the forums.
If you didn't get any sleep there are some magical devices called "ear-plugs" you can buy them cheap at any drug store...or even at a corner gas station!
 Snotsure
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/1/2010 8:10:46 PM
I think they were worthy of a GOLD metal. Never have I been as proud as I am thanks to these games. I was sad to see them end. to any of you that are neigh-sayers, I say you look like that USA team that lost to us yesterday... aka Sore-Sports!

GO CANADA GO
 WesternWildRose
Msg: 26
view profile
History
Posted: 3/1/2010 8:47:46 PM
My Name is Rose....an I'm a Cheesehead!

so....always so much over-thinking things here....ya...lots of sterotypes of Canadians....I wish they had featured some igloos...and a chorus of that Monty Python favourite.... "I'm a Lumberjack"

did anyone see Sgt Renfrew and his loyal companion Cuddles?
 Merrylass
Msg: 29
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 7:14:21 AM
What a pity POF's so full of sourpusses and naysayers. No wonder people are solo with attitudes like that!

It was a great ceremony - I was there! As for people in 'other countries' - their media reps were in BC, ya know - where BC media reps would be able to give them context for the show. It was cute, it was funny, it was touching, and it was the second-most watched show of all time in Canada.

If all you are able to do after these two amazing weeks is grouse and complain, then it's time to go get yourself an attitude shift. Life's a whole lot better if you look for the good in all that happens. Imagine - over a hundred thousand (I'm sure there were many more than that) people partying for two solid weeks - no violence, no terror issues, nobody wearing guns - yeah, some folks got drunk but that was it. People raised hands to each other - to high-five, not to hit. What's not to love? Shared joy and celebration are bonding events - we're now more bonded to each other. That's a beautiful thing.
 mcalgary
Msg: 31
view profile
History
Posted: 3/2/2010 10:05:21 AM
I thought it was very lame and I am sure Michael Buble was embarrased by it. The part with him singing was great but I really was expecting a much funnier poke at ourselves than we got. William Shatner was very good though.
 Snotsure
Msg: 34
Posted: 3/3/2010 6:57:48 PM

Well, its almost as bad as saying that if you don't find what I find funny, there must be something wrong with your sense of humour

That's not funny
 Stormswatcher
Msg: 39
Posted: 3/4/2010 7:11:49 PM
I won't comment on the "ceremonies" other than was it just me or did our beloved Premier look like Rainman wearing his bright red mittens and waving the Canadian Flag like he was having a seizure? I'm sure he was spouting Judge Wapner @ 6, Judge Wapner @ 6, mind you I'm not a good lip reader it could have been Walmart special Aisle 5.
The Prime Minister and other guests just kind of looked at him Like WTF?

Oh and Neil Young should have been the closing act, with the torch being extinguished then.

( WTF was the Metal Art Band at the end?)
And I too was waiting for "I'm a LUmberjack and I'm okay" ( or at the least Bob and Doug if we where going to parody)
Show ALL Forums  > British Columbia  >