Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 kabiosile
Msg: 24
view profile
History
What is your personal backup plan?Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
The truth of it all is this is the right wings big plan. Try to make America fail so they can get the America they always dreamed of or shall we call it, Little Somalia?

The right wingnuts, want to be able to have their sweatshops here in the USA and never get taxed and let the poor people they have sucked the life out of for their corporate dreams die from hunger, disease or anything else that gets rid of them.

This whole thing is a pipe dream of the most extreme of them. They pray every night before they go to bed that Obama will deliver them to evil and that the country will fail.

Funny thing is all reports point to recovery.

Their doom scenario is coming the US will rise from the ashes of the fire caused by greedy **stards on wall street/corporate America, and their deregulation loving nut jobs that paved the road for this lunacy..

It will once again be a democrat bringing another new deal that will save this country from the brink.

The right wingnuts hate this and know they are a breed going extinct as we speak. The baby boomers are going into the twilight of their lives and with them will die this idiocy of the right wing religious zealots.

To the fiscal conservatives, man I feel sorry for you guys. You guys make sense sometimes unlike the others whom hijacked your party out from under you.

I feel most for the fiscally conservatives whom mostly are social liberals. They are getting such a bad rep thanks to the "sky is falling, and god is going to smite us all", people.

I guess there is a lesson in there somewhere for you guys though. Don't take on religious extremists into your party just because they CLAIM they agree with your fiscal policy.

Further anyone who thinks "argentina's" issues where caused by social programs is totally devoid of any sense of what happened there.

They had issues due to right wing lunacy via the IMF and greedy business owners ripping off the companies. This was proven when workers went and took over the closed down abandoned factories and re opened them and made them work again.
The take "la toma"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8149373547373833649&ei=mzWRS6OPMKC6rALOwMTRAg&q=+the+take&hl=en&view=3#

It was progressive movements that brought agentina from the brink.

HalftimeDad
Msg: 25
What is your personal backup plan?
Posted: 3/5/2010 9:14:00 AM
I've invested heavily in a company which is building a project called Skynet. It's going to be so cool, and will bring in a new age of enlightenment for the human race.

I can't wait.
 cotter
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 9:45:03 AM
^^^
OMG "Swampy" ... I think you're losing it. Settle down already and take a few chill pills.

Okay ... here's my plan. I didn't want to divulge any information until we had been able to get some good solid research, but I've been working with some really smart people lately who are developing some sort of way to implant false memories of ideal holidays. We're hoping that we can get all those unhappy right wingnuts to get them so we can implant them with some good memories and then they won't be so out of sorts ... running around all hyped up with their guns and "war machines" ... wanting to wipe out the Obama administration.

We're hoping to implant memories of "Dumbya" leading the invasion of Iraq in the lead tank ... yelling "Kill The Terrorists"!!! It will be brought up in the rear by "Cocky-Cock" (the torturer) Cheney who is back there capturing all the prisoners and sending them off to be tortured by CIA agents and armed military personnel with dogs. The memory closes with "Dumbya" standing on some aircraft carrier in front of big sign that says, "Mission Accomplished".

"Seems" when we "took a poll", the number one favorite memory of the Neocons and folks of the TPM was when we illegally invaded Iraq and carpet bombed them and killed all those Muslims who want to come over here and behead us and turn us all into "Hajis" and "Towelheads" that pray 5 times a day.

I'm hoping it all works out so that things will settle down and they'll leave Obama alone so we can get on with rebuilding the country after the devastation of the last administration.

flyonthewall!
Msg: 30
Posted: 3/5/2010 12:56:26 PM

Did you know that Ireland has what the neocons refer to as "socialized medicine"? Since your post indicates that you're against Universal Healthcare, I thought I should point that out to you. You might have to rethink your plan.

Did you a realize that 31 percent of the country is covered by this so called universal health care, and half of the country carries private insurance? I'm not sure what the rest of them have.

Oh, and old people aren't covered. They get 400 euros a year for health care, if they qualify.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Healthcare_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland

And like other universal health care plans, the waiting for services can be YEARS. Doesn't help much if you die before you get the heath care! Yeah, yeah, it is free, for some, if you don't die first. Fortunately, I don't mind paying for private heath care, in Ireland or anywhere else.

http://www.movetoireland.com/movepag/medover.htm

If you had paid attention to Obama's State of the Union Address, you'd know that he plans on eliminating wasteful programs that do not work. And this healt care program that you're bashing is Universal Health Care. I believe all industrialized nations have universal health care, and I don't hear them whining about it.

So he's going to eliminate Social Security? Medicare? Oh yeah, he's going to eliminate Medicare Advantage. That's a drop in the bucket. Obama couldn't eliminate enough "fat" to make a difference. The only way to make these programs stable is to reduce benefits. If you do that, NO doctor will take either Medicare nor Medicaid, given that they don't make a profit on it now, and in some cases lose money. The planned 21 percent reduction in payments to doctors will make that even worse.

Quite frankly all I see are a bunch of initiatives to spend MORE money:

Giving rebates to Americans who make their homes more energy-efficient
$10,000 tax credit for families for four years of college
Nearly double the child tax credit
Expanding the tax credit for those who start a nest egg (retirement fund)
Health care reform

And here's a biggie:
Starting in 2011, freeze government spending for 3 years on discretionary programs (excluding national security, Medicare, Medicaid, and Social Security)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_State_of_the_Union_Address

Tell me how you improve the economy without touching 50 percent of our spending? Stop building roads? Dismantle the public education system? Eliminate welfare? All of those are pissing in the wind. There's no way out without eliminating some of the sacred cows, and forgetting about health care reform. We can't afford ANY of it.
 cotter
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 2:41:48 PM

The thing is it never works. Most Progressives know THEY don't really pay for much of ANYTHING - the "rich white Republicans" and other people with JOBS do...
How is it that the so-called "Progressives" don't really pay for much of ANYTHING?

Are you truly insinuating that "most Progressives" (as you have labeled them) are "poor white Democrats" ... or "poor black Democrats"? Or are you insinuating that "Progressives" just don't work at all?

Are you saying if a person has money then it must mean they are "White Republicans"?

... and other people with JOBS do...
Soooo ... "White Republicans" are the only people with work these days?

And what does any of that have to do with a "backup plan"?
 flyguy51
Msg: 35
Posted: 3/5/2010 5:05:52 PM
I hear Soylent Green makes for a tasty little dish.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 36
Posted: 3/5/2010 5:28:17 PM

That said, it sure as hell wasn't the people with money in those states, who generate the bulk of tax revenues, who gave Obama those votes... Why would "the evil rich" vote against their own interests? LOL!

I know there is nothing to be gained in joining into this squabble, but let's take Virginia as an example. This was a swing state in 2008, so they did a pretty extensive analysis in the media. The rich part of that state was blue; the poor part was red.

Warren Buffet made all his money from the ground up - he thinks his tax burden is too light. The evil George Soros is also the guy that funded Solidarity in Poland and is largely responsible for bringing down the Soviet Union. He started from nothing. It seems the only rich people who are Republican are those who inherited their money; those who built their own fortunes recognize that the civil society that made it possible means we all have obligations to the nation and our fellow citizens.
 wvwaterfall
Msg: 37
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 5:30:20 PM
Well, lesseee....

First off, I don't see either party doing much to curb runaway spending. They just disagree where to spend the most money we don't have. I confess to have no workable understanding of national economics, because my common sense tells me we should have had economic disaster already, probably by the end of the Reagan years, yet we somehow keep on going. He seems most responsible for steering Republicans away from fiscal conservancy though. Now it's just a choice between tax and spend and borrow and spend.

Now if everything does fall apart, I'm already pretty close to being self sufficient here on the homestead. The bank still owns the house and about half my acreage, so if that's not paid off by then I'd have to shift over to property I do own free and clear. Plenty of fertile ground for growing food, lots more to be foraged, and I just about trip over deer wherever I go here. There's a spring for fresh water, and until I build a new abode numerous overhanging cliffs to lay my sleeping bag under.

If I were inclined to leave the country, Canada would be simplest. I also really enjoyed my time in Ecuador and wouldn't mind moving there.

But I'm optimistic that we'll find a way through all this, just pretty well prepared if we don't.

Dave
 mungojoe
Msg: 38
Posted: 3/5/2010 5:32:08 PM

I hear Soylent Green makes for a tasty little dish.

Whoa there!!!

I already called dibs on "Soylent Black"... you don't get a lot of oil out of one person's corpse... it takes 8-10 just to get one barrel... I'll need all of them...
 Hawaiianluau
Msg: 40
Posted: 3/5/2010 6:21:44 PM
^
Was your initial intent to swerve into a gun rights discussion or is this a new revelation?

My plan-
New Zealand and/or Tahiti.

wvwaterfall
Msg: 41
view profile
History
Posted: 3/5/2010 6:46:32 PM

Dave - will you be able to defend your land should someone else, or some larger group of people, decide they want it, or want your resources?

Well, I'm not much of one to get into a shooting argument, but most of my resources require someone in the know to find. Wild plants and such. And I live pretty far off the beaten track. In fact the largest piece of land I own free and clear, 28 acres, has no road access to it, but fresh water, lots of trees for firewood and building supplies, and plenty of deer and other critters.

Obviously none of us could defend whatever we have from a sufficiently more powerful group, but WV has been a forgotten part of the country so far in its history, no reason to think anyone would come looking come a major fall.

Honestly, I doubt it will come to that, but if it happened all at once I sure don't have far to go.

dave
 CountIbli
Msg: 43
Posted: 3/5/2010 9:28:10 PM

What if the economy doesn't get better?

Didn't you hear the great news? We ONLY lost 35,000 jobs last month. Callooh! Callay!

Well if Obama keeps implementing the same policies as Bush, but to a greater extent, then it won't. And then when people no longer pay US dollars for oil our money will be worthless (IOW 2 cents less than now).

What if it gets way worse?

I expect a total collapse within my lifetime. It's a neccessary step towards fixing the broken system. America needs a giat do-over.

What if we experience severe hyperinflation, and even more severe unemployment?

Invest in gold, silver, and other precious metals. The day you speak of is approaching.

What will you do if it begins to look like we're headed for rioting, looting, urban unrest, marshall law, or even civil war?

Do you believe it can't happen because the United States is "too big to fail"?

Do you have a backup plan in case it does? If so, tell us about it...

I don't have the money to invest in precious metals, but I do have a back-up plan. At the end of the day, you can't eat gold. Stock up on food, alcohol (primarily for barter purposes), potable water. Get a shotgun and stock up on ammunition. Learn self-defense techniques including knife fighting. But above all else learn how to live off the land (and not just farming). Learn how to forage because food is all around you, if you know what to look for.

Just a few examples of this. Acorns are edible after you extract the tannic acid. Tannic acid is useful as a disinfectant, tanning leather, and laundry detergent. Acorn oil acts as deer bait. Grass is edible (make sure it hasn't been chemically treated) but not digestible. You can chew grass and suck out the nutritious juices, and then spit out the grass. Water lillies are edible. In the spring trees can be tapped for their sap (but make sure you plug up the hole when your done, otherwise the tree will "bleed" to death. The inner bark of certain trees are edible.

Learn how to hunt and fish (and how to prepare the dead animal to make it edible). Learn how to make leather from the skin. Learn how to use all the nonedible parts of the animal (e.g. bones can be sharpened and made into weapons, needles, etc.).

Basically I'm learning how to take myself completely off the grid.
 jed456
Msg: 45
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2010 11:01:50 AM
...contact from which turns you into a zombie Karl Marx that eats Christian Babies.

Lol I almost spilled my coffee on that one.
 mungojoe
Msg: 47
Posted: 3/13/2010 12:33:00 PM

Again, can you even imagine what would happen if we had another 9/11 right now?

About the same thing as happened last time... just a bit faster as the nation still has not "stood down" from much of what was instituted then...

It wouldn't take much to send this country into utter turmoil right now.

Yep... and you can thank all the teabaggers, pseudo-constitutionalists ("pseudo" because, by and large, they have zero concept of what the Constitution is, and the war which brought it into being was, all about) and sundry right-wingnuts for that... groups which want nothing less than the complete destruction of 225+ years of effort and sacrifice... and for nothing more than achieving their own personal benefit at the expense of a nation... If the nation were to fall in the crapper as you fear, it will be those groups who push it in...
 cotter
Msg: 50
view profile
History
Posted: 3/13/2010 4:51:53 PM

Again, can you even imagine what would happen if we had another 9/11 right now?
If the US doesn't back down from their unconditional support of the troublemakers in the Middle East ... we could easily see it again.

The hate that is born from the suppression and mistreatment of fellow human beings spawns innumerable people willing to do all kinds of things to those they hold responsible for their misery.

A major part of anyone's backup plan should be to encourage Washington to separate themselves from the unconditional support of such troublemakers.
 flyonthewall!
Msg: 52
Posted: 3/13/2010 7:42:37 PM
Today's Prickly City says it all!
http://comics.com/prickly_city
 cotter
Msg: 53
view profile
History
Posted: 3/15/2010 6:56:37 AM

Spend and borrow more money, triple our deficit ...
Should have said something about that when the previous administration took us into the war business that generally does not pay for itself. Where was your (collective) voice then?

And just by the way ... one does not stop a runaway train on a dime. I do not recall that our President ever campaigned that he would do away with the deficit within the first year he was in office. Where & when did he ever say that?

... and force down our throats a trillion $$$$ Health Care fiasco mess ...
Health care for all (which will pay for itself) is a necessity, whereas the wars (that did nothing but cost us money and blood) do not pay for themselves.

... Health Care fiasco mess that the majority of people don't want.
I'm in the health care business. I see between 20 & 30 new people per day related to my work and I also volunteer at a local hospital ... and have yet to meet one single person who is against affordable health care for all. I have no idea where they are finding the people that supposedly do not want affordable health care.

OT ...
The back up plan for me is business as usual ... work, live modestly, don't waste, and give back by volunteering and being there for others.
 CountIbli
Msg: 56
Posted: 4/27/2012 6:52:31 PM
^^^"It's coming....and....I don't have a backup plan because even if I 'prepped', I'd run out of necessary Rx's."

Some Rx's can be replaced with natural medicines.

"But I can tell you if I DID have a plan....I wouldn't be airing it on TV! Why would anyone who takes prepping seriously, announce it?"

Sure the guys who are worried about roving gangs are dumb to announce their plans. But some people are looking to rebuild society after the collapse, not hide from it. Some preppers are already organizing their communities.
 BalderDog2
Msg: 57
Posted: 4/27/2012 9:08:25 PM
So here it is, two years after this thread was first posted and the world didn't come to an end. Obama didn't turn out to be the Antichrist. He didn't take your guns away. The unemployement rate is going down. Wall Street bounced back. The tea party movement is waning. Things are looking up. If you've been watching Fox News, you probably don't know anyone of this and are still hiding in your cave, your rations running short, as you sit polishing your gun and wait for the country to get Taken Back.
 Stray__Cat
Msg: 58
Posted: 5/9/2012 7:16:50 PM
as bad as things can get...and the potential is there for very bad....
America is still better off than the rest of the world.
We still have a lot of critical resources and infrastructure to survive come what may.
We grow our own food.
We have a diverse and skilled work force.
and if push comes to shove....a military no other country can match(or really wants to tangle with.)

My best survival option is to be flexible and maintain low debt.
I rent, so can move to where a job is if mine tanks(always a possibility.)
Stay HEALTHY. Eat healthy. Work out.
Medical costs from poor health can ruin you long before the economy would.

And don't worry so much.
Our parents and grandparents endured much worse.
So we can do this.
no prob.
 laughingatliberals
Msg: 59
Posted: 6/13/2012 7:44:36 AM
I read the other day and I cannot find the source. Trillions and trillions of dollars are spent on war and if I remember correctly, it would only take a fraction of that to ensure that all humans are fed, clothes and lodged every day for the rest of their natual life. I believe it is like 30 billion dollars?... I have to check.

The cost of both wars.....3.7 Trillion

The cost of stimulus packages....3.27 Trillion

So it is safe to say the 30 billion you thought would set everyone on easy street for the rest of our lives is wrong.

We have spent almost as much on trying that as the wars and we are still in rescission.

As soon as we get health care passed and people won't be made homeless by doctor bills, things will look very different.

The cost of obozo care 17 trillion! Nope won't be homeless because of doctor bills obozo care has made sure we won't have homes to loose.

I'm hoping it all works out so that things will settle down and they'll leave Obama alone so we can get on with rebuilding the country after the devastation of the last administration.

Rebuilding? Do you mean spending more in 3 years than Bush did in 8? That is done and the economy is in worse shape now!

My plan to vote out all the socialists and put fiscally responsible people in charge, you know the ones that actually know the Constitution and abides by it.
 OyVay...
Msg: 60
Posted: 6/20/2012 6:21:13 PM
"My plan to vote out all the socialists"

Since there are very few actual socialists in office, I doubt that would be a problem!

Then again, thank gawd, you have only one vote. Hahahahahaha!!!
 cotter
Msg: 61
view profile
History
Posted: 6/21/2012 10:19:25 AM

What will you do if it begins to look like we're headed for rioting, looting, urban unrest, marshall law, or even civil war?

Shoot all the teabaggers and neocons before they can work up a full head of steam... turn their corpses into oil... live in their houses... redistribute their money... farm their land...

That way we can kill two birds (or more) with one stone as it were... save the country, have a "socialist" America and get rid of that annoying buzzing sound (to hear it, just plug your ears and say "NOOOOOOOOOO!" over and over)... all in one fell swoop...
That is absolutely priceless ...

I nominate "mungojoe" for President of "The Backup Plan" club.
 laughingatliberals
Msg: 62
Posted: 6/22/2012 9:52:40 AM

Shoot all the teabaggers and neocons before they can work up a full head of steam... turn their corpses into oil... live in their houses... redistribute their money... farm their land...

That way we can kill two birds (or more) with one stone as it were... save the country, have a "socialist" America and get rid of that annoying buzzing sound (to hear it, just plug your ears and say "NOOOOOOOOOO!" over and over)... all in one fell swoop...
That is absolutely priceless ...
**********************************************************************************************
I nominate "mungojoe" for President of "The Backup Plan" club.

So you support murder and stealing I thought liberals were the tolerant party?

I guess we can see the true colors coming through.
 cotter
Msg: 63
view profile
History
Posted: 6/22/2012 10:04:23 AM

So you support murder and stealing I thought liberals were the tolerant party?

I guess we can see the true colors coming through.

LMAO ... The reason I think the answer "mungojoe" gave is so priceless is because it was a sarcastic answer to the stoooopid question the OP posted.

As I posted in Message 2 (over two years ago) ...
This is a funny thread and so I reserve the right to post obnoxious answers!!!!
Show ALL Forums  > Politics  >