Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Secondhand_Lion
Msg: 100
view profile
History
It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs?Page 5 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)
Anyone have the latest update on the "Rapture"? I've been waiting so long for those folks to zoom off into the heavens so a few people could have a logical discussion.
 ~DREAMS~
Msg: 101
It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs?
Posted: 11/22/2010 10:16:33 AM

Anyone have the latest update on the "Rapture"? I've been waiting so long for those folks to zoom off into the heavens so a few people could have a logical discussion.

last time i checked they were getting ready to launch rapture 1 which is a high yeild microwave burst emmission satelight and were just working out the bugs in the tracking system. Due to the limitations they were instead trying to just get everyone in one specific area instead of spread out all over to make it easier to enact a rapture like event from space to get rid of the real nutcases. lol

As a Christian I am glad i am not a very good christian at times and God is not done with me or i would likely be included in the list.

Sorry... couldnt resist
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 102
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2010 12:24:26 PM

The fundies are trying to get Palin's finger on the nuclear holocaust button with hopes that her intent to bring on Armageddon will start the rapture process if elected Presnit.
http://www.counterpunch.org/lawrence09202008.html
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/10/12/politics/main6950278.shtml
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZzLL4Dio3w
Unfortunately, should Palin and her demons steal and election and gain power, their Third Wave/Joel's Army would go on a fundie rampage to quell dissent and get rid of any sort of logical discussions.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/bruce-wilson/sarah-palins-churches-and_b_124611.html
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3875776
It's quite doubtful that any other species on Earth has ever been this stupid and deluded.
 ~DREAMS~
Msg: 103
Posted: 11/22/2010 2:48:25 PM

I've been waiting so long for those folks to zoom off into the heavens so a few people could have a logical discussion.

However, lets have a logic talk. have you ever asked a computer to decide who is right and who is wrong using nothing but logic? If you did then you likely would not like the answers it gave you.

So lets break things down as to how a computer would think on a subject.

We have the earth. We will call that the storage device. Then we have the people on it. we will call them the sectors of data. 90% of those sectors allow bytes to be writen and read from. Then you have 10% that are off doing their own thing instead of allowing the drive controller to store and retrive data from them.

Now the 10% of bad and corrupt sectors would like to convince the 90% that they are in control of there own space within the storage drive.

So using logic which is more probable? that there is a 90% drive failure and only running on a 10% drive stability or that we have 90% drive integrity and only 10% lost clusters on the sectors?

The 90% keep trying to recover the 10% lost clusters and as a result there has been the occational data degradation and a increase in drive corruption.

Logic says to instead save as much data from the lost clusters as can be saved which has been done. Almost everything has been recovered from those lost clusters and their data is safe in a backup.

Now as the drive controller uses REAL logic to make choices using nothing but data and not emotions or compassion to make those choices, the result and action path is simple to see what is going to happen.

A few more passes will be made to attempt to recover as many lost clusters as can be provided those clusters pass the reliability tests to ensure they will not just become a lost cluster again.

Using logic means since the data has been backed up that was contained within the damaged sectors then it is futile to continue to try to recover a damaged cluster. The logical thing to do would be to eliminate them from the drive table and never again try to write to them or allow them to be read from.

A 10% loss to a logic boards way of thinking means 90% efficiency can then be increased to 100% efficiency by simply destroying the 10% corrupted sectors and rewriting the drive table to exclude them from ever existing. Sure the over all available cluster size is reduced but since they are not usable anyways it is no real loss

So just how sure are you at wanting to use logic to solve problems? Most people trully have no clue what logic really means and think it is critical thinking or some startrek spock referance.

Sorry but true logic means zero regard for difference and the ultimate goal of efficiency even at the cost of diversity.

The real question you should be figuring out is if you are a part of the 90% or the 10% and were you forced to make a backup of your data. I am sure only a few more passes will be done to attempt to recover anymore lost clusters and then...... well your a smart guy..... ask your computer tech friends what happens when a drive table gets re-written to exclude damaged clusters
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 104
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2010 5:07:47 PM
Yeah paulk...The mere existence of the Israeli flag in her office, the membership in a number of end times cults, Palin's reference to the Iraqi genocide as being a "task from god", her witchdoctor blessing as the second coming, and as she told Barbara Walters, "
"I disagree with the Obama administration on that. I believe that the Jewish settlements should be allowed to be expanded upon, because that population of Israel is, is going to grow. More and more Jewish people will be flocking to Israel in the days and weeks and months ahead. And I don't think that the Obama administration has any right to tell Israel that the Jewish settlements cannot expand."...These little things, these dinosauric tidbits into her obsession with Christian Zionism, Armageddon fanatics, her husband's anti-american views, her delusional goddess complex endowed upon her by her most recent church and witchdoctor, and obsession with nuking Iran, are not sufficient evidence to presume anything....not. The woman is a tool, a willing one, and delusional one, thinking that she has a place in the destruction of most of humanity. Still...no evidence that any other species has produced such a destructive, evil, and deluded specimin of like kind. Show me your presumptions.

Read more: http://blog.beliefnet.com/crunchycon/2009/11/sarah-palin-israel-and-the-end.html#ixzz163y2pmmo
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 105
view profile
History
Posted: 11/22/2010 5:31:12 PM
Paulk..yet you did so. I come to my premise of Palin via all sorts of sources that tie her into all sorts of nefarious end times fanatic cults and delusions, many verified by numerous personal sources. You come to your conclusions and prognostications of my character via your assumptions and bias basis due to our conflicting world views. Your cred is every bit as suspect by your paradigm as witnessed by your ad hominims and generalizations as anyones'. Just sayin..pot...kettle. Show us proof that Palin is not a fundie, end times, armageddon lovin, you betcha, freakizoid loonie. I have supplied quotes, linkages, blessings, and her sympathies for end times fanatics. Show us the opposite, credible sources, and credible denial. Please. I would love to be wrong on this one.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 106
Posted: 11/22/2010 7:14:32 PM

I have tried several times to point you in the correct direction.

No, you've only offered hints and vague references. "Correct direction?" Okay. What is it? Speak plainly. Don't hint.

You want to see the work that was done and how it was done?

Why yes. Yes I do. It's where the rubber meets the road. It's a little thing called intellectual honesty. If you have an alternative explanation, then offer it up for discussion. You see, the difference between those darn sciencey people and the "scientists don't know the REAL truth but we do" people is they never offer anything substantive.

Carl Sagan said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof." You seem to think you have a better explanation to things like Tunguska and the K-T extinction event. Okay then. Let's see it. If its that good and that compelling, spelling it out should be no problem. Or perhaps you're not as confident in your "theories" as you would have us believe.

I mean damn dude that is liken to having some nerdy kid standing up to bullies in a school by saying if they dont stop then (insert_name_here) is gonna kick their butts. meanwhile (Insert_name_here) has never even heard of that nerdy kid and damn sure would not defend or for that matter enter into a fight just because that nerdy kid used his name in a fight.

Ah yes, the ad hominem deflection. Rather than actually addressing the points or offering well thought out and considered points of your own, attack the other side, see if you can get them into a pissing match of alternating "screw yous" and then you can feel somehow superior. But do you actually have something substantial to offer? Can you be that intellectually honest? I'm still waiting.

You honestly don't see the back peddling lately? You don't see the position changes that have taken place?

Can you cite something specific?

but fail to even see or notice that even the latest and greatest information printed in the most elite science rag is like 20 damn years old or insignifigant to begin with.

Okay. Citation? Something...you know...specific? Yes? No?

The very people you are trusting found something Stargazer and THEY are gonna be the ones to tell you guys and gals what they found...Nope, something is about to break and it is a doozy and the science field is gonna do it. They are just trying to figure out how to spin it so it will do the least damage to their credability and stature

Really? Well, you must have an inside line to the real scientists with the real truth. Care to give us a hint? Or just more vague hints?

You evolutionists align yourselves with that governing body and they are not even being honest with you about the things they find and found. That would change the status quo and mess up the work of certain people that don't want egg on their face.

Ah yes, the great "science conspiracy!" That's the easiest claim to make and usually the one with the least amount of actual proof. And you get to feel so smart and superior to us poor, deluded science-types. Just what are you compensating for? I could point out that the actual studies and results are printed for public consumption and are accessible. Of course, you're going to say "well, that's the information they want you to see so they can hide the truth."

Are you really worried more about how something is said than you are on what is being said?

Well, both are important.

Here is a tip... Just like life itself it is the errors and the flaws that offer the greatest value. You don't learn the most if you get everything right all the time. You learn the most by making a mistake. If a mistake is made then you know what NOT to do since most times there

Good tip. I'm more than passingly aware of it. I've been married.

So your evidence shows a specific element in the crust and no more dino's on top of it.

Sure sounds like an extermination crew prepared a place for mammals by getting rid of all the nasties that would eat you up huh?

Yay! A hint! So are we talking space aliens? God(s)? What?

The main difference is that in order to have something created in your hand then their must have been someone or something that created it. You can not have the created without a creator.

Do you have proof of said "creator?" Beyond the creation, that is. Something we can all examine?

NOBODY gets something for nothing in this world, in this galaxy, or in this universe. EVERYTHING has a cost. The currency is in the form of matter or energy but NOTHING is created for free. If you have matter but no energy then you can not create anything. If you have energy but no matter again your not able to create anything. It is only when matter and energy are combined that anything is created and how you combine them and what forms factoring the size and arangment that each starts out as dictates what is created.

Reads like a justification for "godidit."
 pippypete
Msg: 107
Posted: 11/24/2010 1:15:05 AM
" It's official" can't get something from nothing.

Therefore there was not nothing before the 'inherently unstable nothingness' that preceeded the bb, there was actually something.

Although atheist scientists & believers can't seem to comprehend this simple fact.

Also the bb theory does not account for the blue shifts of objects & parts of space moving toward us.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 108
Posted: 11/24/2010 4:18:23 AM

Also the bb theory does not account for the blue shifts of objects & parts of space moving toward us.

Citation? Example? Something even remotely concrete?
 ~DREAMS~
Msg: 109
Posted: 11/24/2010 11:15:21 AM

No, you've only offered hints and vague references. "Correct direction?" Okay. What is it? Speak plainly. Don't hint.

Well if specifics were given then the takes away the seeking part doesn't it?

Seek and you shall find. No seeking means no finding.

You are human right? Because Humans have this excellent skill built into their minds that allows them to read between the lines and fill in any gaps with information contained within their specrume of experience or what is in their hearts.

Someone without that ability is not human and therefore damaged.

Do you think Einstein spent his days asking everyone to cite sources, give him refrences, and show him the work of other people?

You like using his work to posture your arguments but have none of your own?

No origional thought? Gonna just let everyone else do all the work? Kinda makes your existance pointless and worthless doesn't it?

Think about it.... Why are you here? What is your point of existing? Why on earth do you consume O2? What is your justification for consuming the amount of resources that you consume to use to sustain your life?

Can you cite something specific?

Sure can. How about many of the evolutionists that you rely on which no i will not list anyone specific. that have now agreed that there does seem to be a complex structure that seems like it had an outside influence. You have to SEEK them out and their words yourself or you won't believe it would be my guess.

Unlike other people that LOVE to quote people and offer links to things without asking their permission. I however do not. I don't allow people to link to or use my work to bolster their own OPINIONS! Since I do not authorize it then it would be hypocritical for me to not offer someone else that same respect.

You see Stargazer since i have NEVER authorised a single person to print or reprint anything of mine yet some of my work is out there floating around it is now easy to prove it was stolen.

Really? Well, you must have an inside line to the real scientists with the real truth. Care to give us a hint? Or just more vague hints?

I will stick with the vague hints that require you to make your own assumptions of what was meant. makes it easier to figure out which way your mind and heart leans to for a direction.

Leave some gaps and room for speculation and then as a result your own thoughts will control which direction you start seeking in and what is found as a result.

Do you have proof of said "creator?" Beyond the creation, that is. Something we can all examine?

How about DNA? All of those little tiny programs each one doing something specific that are all linked together. It is like a really big computer program. some run their course and output their results and calculations and then turn off. other are dependent on the variables and output of others and as such are in a constant change of flux thus also changing. sorry that does not show evalution that shows a pretty darn smart creator.

If evolution was true Then that means DNA would not be able to be manipulated at all. You would have to insert the changes and then wait and wait and wait for the mutation containing those changes to step by step gradually change.

That means it would take many generations to be able to fix something.... That may be all well and fine for someone that does not have a genetic flaw in their DNA but someone with a genetic flaw would likely wish that was not the way things work since that would mean their is hope for them to be repaired.

I mean if in fact we are a creation from a smart creator and some of us in the world simply have some flaws in our base code then we can fix ourselves.

We can make a change to that flawed area and as a result then the output of that active DNA strand will have a different output which as a result will automatically change the input values of the other strands that are looking to that flawed strands output which then changes there output to effect any other strands that may be looking to theirs, etc, etc.

HUMMMM sounds like a pretty smart design to me. make a single change and if done correctly just a tiny change could fix multiple issues.

Oh thats right... you would want sources to be cited... um yeah thats not gonna happen.

You want information for free then go to those amatures in Mass. They are the ones giving away free information I am of the payment for effort expended crowd.

Think about it Stargazer... if you were the one always doing all the work while everyone else sits on their asses with the stance that they will just wait for the book to come out and get the information for free, wouldnt that piss you off?

That would be likened to a total stranger coming up to you with a broken car and asking you to repair it for them and oh yeah you have to use your own tools, buy all the parts that would be needed to make the repair and do all the work just so they can have a car to drive and get around in.

Does not sound like your auto repair shop would be in business very long doing things that way now does it?

Now a 10% +10% payment plan in that senerio fits better and more worthwhile since that is increase and not decrease.

Are you worth your salt?

What benifit do you offer to mankind to justify you consuming resources required to sustain life?

Those are questions that everyone on this planet should ask themselves. If all you ever do is take take take then that is no different than a blood sucking leach and everyone knows if you put some salt on a leach then they will quit sucking your blood, detatch from the body, and shrivel up and die and as such more blood is avaiable for the cells of the body to function at peek efficency.

These are just my opinions and observations
 stargazer1000
Msg: 110
Posted: 11/24/2010 11:44:48 AM

Well if specifics were given then the takes away the seeking part doesn't it?

So you're not just intellectually dishonest, you're a coward. Okay. Gotcha.

You see Stargazer since i have NEVER authorised a single person to print or reprint anything of mine yet some of my work is out there floating around it is now easy to prove it was stolen.

Test yourself: http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/crackpot.html

I will stick with the vague hints that require you to make your own assumptions of what was meant. makes it easier to figure out which way your mind and heart leans to for a direction.

Of course you will. That means you can continue in your postings without commiting yourself to anything specific that can be easily and soundly countered with real facts. Evidence to justify my statements above. Thanks dreams, at least you're consistent.

How about DNA? All of those little tiny programs each one doing something specific that are all linked together. It is like a really big computer program. some run their course and output their results and calculations and then turn off. other are dependent on the variables and output of others and as such are in a constant change of flux thus also changing. sorry that does not show evalution that shows a pretty darn smart creator.

How does DNA actually "prove" a creator? How is that any different than citing any other "creation" as proof of a creator. "Irreducible complexity" has been soundly thrashed, courtesy of Kitzmiller v. Dover Board of Education. The processes of DNA evolution are easily explained - and observed i.e. Lenski et. al. - by completely naturalistic processes. So that would be a fail.

If evolution was true Then that means DNA would not be able to be manipulated at all. You would have to insert the changes and then wait and wait and wait for the mutation containing those changes to step by step gradually change.

You're scoring high on the above-mentioned index.
 ~DREAMS~
Msg: 111
Posted: 11/24/2010 12:13:07 PM

No origional thought? Gonna just let everyone else do all the work? Kinda makes your existance pointless and worthless doesn't it?

Think about it.... Why are you here? What is your point of existing? Why on earth do you consume O2? What is your justification for consuming the amount of resources that you consume to use to sustain your life?

you forgot to address these ones, which were the main ones.

You're scoring high on the above-mentioned index.

Well considering all the many people through history that have been called crackpots then i will take that as a compliment then, since it seems i have some pretty good company in that classification.

Thanks dreams, at least you're consistent.

Your Welcome
 stargazer1000
Msg: 112
Posted: 11/24/2010 2:02:41 PM

Well considering all the many people through history that have been called crackpots then i will take that as a compliment then, since it seems i have some pretty good company in that classification.

Yes, you join a long and illustrious list of people who've made claims about free energy, engines run on water, perpetual motion, geocentricism, alien intervention and alternative histories and archaeologies and, of course, creationism.

So no, that wouldn't be a compliment.

you forgot to address these ones, which were the main ones.

I didn't address these "points" because they were utterly pointless and typical of the diversionary and 'baiting' tactics those who try to hide a weak position resort to. However, I shall take a crack at it.

So, are you proposing that I rediscover Relativity before I speak about science? And do you hold yourself to the same standard? Or are you saying you're somehow more insightful than Einstein and have discovered something fundamentally flawed about Relativity that mainstream science isn't aware of? Oh do tell! Oh, that's right...you don't want to give anything away. Forbid the thought you stick your neck out.

Besides, such a process is inherently inefficient for actual progress. After all, Carl Sagan described science as a collaborative enterprise - building on the work of generations before. Sir Isaac Newton said that "if I have seen further, it's only because I have stood on the shoulders of giants."

Classic baiting and bullying. Sad really. Also, a diversionary tactic from the fact that you are still cowering away from offering anything even remotely substantial. Sorry, dreams, but you're dreamin' if you think I'm falling for this one. Nice try. But I will answer your statement about the "pointless and worthless" nature of my life - and yours - below.

Why does there have to be a 'why?' Or a justification for living? In my opinion, the notion that there has to be a reason for existence or that a "reason" has to be derived from some sort of 'creator' god/gods is either the greatest insecurity or the height of vanity.

Consider what the science to date actually teaches us. That we live in a vast universe that, for as yet unknown reasons, burst forth with its sets of laws that allowed it to generate several generations of stars which produced all the elements that would be needed to generate later generations of stars, planets and finally - well us. A fantastic agglomeration of events without thought or direction - just time and opportunity.

Each of us lives a life that is but the merest blip of time in the vast duration of the cosmos that has existed already and will exist in the future. Energy and matter that, for the briefest moment, comes together to be you and I. Out of the thousands of generations of our forebears that have been, up through the ages and the various permutations of species that lead to us. Indeed, consider for just a moment the fact that 99 per cent of life that has existed on our planet has gone extinct. Or even, the species that could have been but, for the vagaries of evolution and happenstance, weren't.

Indeed, as Richard Dawkins points out, given the many permutations of our DNA that can come together, of the people that could have been born but weren't, how fortunate we were to have even been born at all. How utterly amazing an idea is that!?

And all of this from four basic atomic forces and a 13.7 billion years. Imagine what the next 13.7 billion years is going to produce!
 ~DREAMS~
Msg: 113
Posted: 11/24/2010 3:00:14 PM

Classic baiting and bullying. Sad really. Also, a diversionary tactic from the fact that you are still cowering away from offering anything even remotely substantial. Sorry, dreams, but you're dreamin' if you think I'm falling for this one. Nice try. But I will answer your statement about the "pointless and worthless" nature of my life - and yours - below.

Naw, I already checked. You have done nothing. Not a single paper published. Not a single grant approoved. absolut ZERO done with all your years. But that sure does not stop that type of person from coming onto these playes like flys to flypaper.

Oh and before you start issuing insults at me for doing my home work...um yeah my name is on patents my name is on corporations formed my name IS on papers, books, and articles that are published. More than just a few people know my name.

The difference is... I just don't like people very much anymore. I have no desire to be an active member of any society... I prefer the company of myself, my son, and the few core people that i chose to be around.

It is ok Stargazer... you can come on these places and copy and paste links to public web addresses. Everything good happens BEFORE any company hits IPO so by the time that happens you best be already in or you get the leftovers.

My next one starts next year... how many have you ever built?

Nevermind i already know that answer... ZERO.

Just keep gazing upon the stars..... thats all you get in life... just a glimpse at all the many stars shinning brightly out in the world.

Just like everyone else in this world.. you only have 2 core choices.... Choose life or choose death... Life is increase and death is the gradual demise. go back and read the things you have written over the years stargazer.... You chose death.

It is never too late to live though. It is never too late to take a chance on LIFE.

I simply wanted to help you dude.... you can't live in the negative way that you do. you will shrivel up and die dude.

I am not telling you what to do but maybe what trully whiped out the dino's is they gave up on living. Maybe they all were eletrocuted due to being the tallest grounded point in their area during a huge electrical storm.

by the way what the memo said about the core samples was that the dino's were all already dead and decomposed before the layer change. but thats several billion dollers worth of grants to have as egg on their face so it was just as easy to continue in their predesignated path assumptions.

Enjoy...lol
 stargazer1000
Msg: 114
Posted: 11/24/2010 7:27:53 PM

Naw, I already checked. You have done nothing. Not a single paper published. Not a single grant approoved. absolut ZERO done with all your years.

Actually, you'd have to know who I am. And if you've managed to hack into the POF database, then management has some 'splainin' to do. But I doubt it. Or would you care to show us how clever you are by actually citing something I've written?

Oh and before you start issuing insults at me for doing my home work...um yeah my name is on patents my name is on corporations formed my name IS on papers, books, and articles that are published. More than just a few people know my name.

And we only have your word to go on it. Given that you have not offered a single citation or anything even remotely that backs up your claims or offers even a hint of concrete proof or evidence for anything you've posted, it's just as likely that you're a sad, lonely little man living on his own with his delusions of grandeur. Just sayin'.

Just like everyone else in this world.. you only have 2 core choices.... Choose life or choose death... Life is increase and death is the gradual demise. go back and read the things you have written over the years stargazer.... You chose death.

Senseless ramblings. But, to quote Don Henley, "you don't see no hearses with luggage racks." Either way, you have a chance to learn something really amazing from people here like Kardinal, earthpuppy and Abelian who actually know a lot about a lot of things. Put down your bible and pick up a science book. It's really cool stuff!
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 115
view profile
History
Posted: 11/24/2010 11:04:14 PM
Despite the excruciatingly boring ad hominems and self adgrandizing postings of late...still waiting for proof that BB theorists have not addressed the blue shift and creationistas have.....waiting...waiting...
Seems real easy to make a claim, throw it on the table and run away.
 pippypete
Msg: 116
Posted: 11/25/2010 8:54:13 AM

.still waiting for proof that BB theorists have not addressed the blue shift and creationistas have..

Can't prove or disprove a negative. Can you ?

Or would you prefer to rephrase the question.

"Your right to hold an opinion is not being contested. Your expectation that it be taken seriously is." -- Jason Thompson
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 117
view profile
History
Posted: 11/25/2010 9:54:16 AM

Poopete..You laid out that turd above with absolutely zero references for backing up your claim. The blue shift has been addressed quite easily in the BB theory by gravitational forces, and rotations of galaxies relative to ours.
 pippypete
Msg: 118
Posted: 11/25/2010 10:21:01 AM
Forget about the lovely daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopeia did we ? Ans a few others.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/25/2010 10:59:37 AM

Forget about the lovely daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopeia did we ? Ans a few others.

Oh no! You've discovered the greatest secret in cosmology ever! Oh wait! No it isn't. http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/I/Interacting+Galaxies
http://arpgalaxy.com/

Seen Andromeda in my telescope many, many times. Also Messier 51. And NGC 4038/9. And I think I might have even spotted Stephan's Quintet, although I was using an 8" SCT so the observation is still in doubt, in my mind.

Funny thing about gravity. When two bodies are in close proximity, it pulls together. Indeed, looking further out into the universe - and so further back in time - we see galaxies interacting all over the place. In fact, it turns out that galaxies were much smaller in general and tended to merge a lot into larger galaxies of the kind we see approaching the modern epoch.

Hmmm....so that would tend to indicate that the universe is evolving. Interesting!

Oh, and that does nothing to disprove that the overall trend is for large scale structures like galaxy clusters and clusters not a part of the local group to recede away from one another. And, in fact, that the recessional velocity is increasing, courtesy of several independent Type 1A supernova studies.
 pippypete
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/27/2010 6:11:16 AM
Yes gravity is the culprit so they say.

But one would think with a universe expanding so rapidly & from an "explosion"
so to speak, the little bit of gravity in our galaxy would not have been enough to counter the forces involved of such a tremendously powerful outward ballooning effect.

Also considering the other gravitational forces pulling against the movement of Andromeda towards us.

Plus the fact that the ballooning effect is accelerating as time goes on.

I read this tonight on a site which made me laugh.

Thus the Universe is not expanding into anything that we can see, and this is not a profitable thing to think about.

And another one.

What came before the Big Bang?
The standard Big Bang model is singular at the time of the Big Bang, t = 0. This means that one cannot even define time, since spacetime is singular.

The book of nature lies continuously open before our eyes (I speak of the Universe) but it can't be understood without first learning to understand the language and characters in which it is written. It is written in mathematical language, and its characters are geometrical figures. - Galileo Galilei
That was true 400 years ago and it is much more true today!

Hmmmmm, must have been a very smart mathematician.

Anyone know who it was ?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 121
Posted: 11/27/2010 7:11:03 PM

I watched a doc. a few years ago that suggested the dinos were already extinct before the asteroid hit.Sighting that the debris layer that was deposited around the earth from that event would be full of bones but it's not and air samples from entrapped air in amber showed a decrease in oxygen levels much earlier to that event that possibly caused the end for large animals like the dino, smaller ones still survived and evolved to a lower O2 level

I've heard before of a loss of diversity prior to the end of the Cretaceous including climatalogical change, volcanism and disease. However, the K-T even would have been a huge nail in the coffin.
 pippypete
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/1/2010 6:04:40 PM

THX SG, and a 10 lbs sledge to drive it in

A bit late when the coffin is already buried.
 pippypete
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/9/2010 11:39:20 PM
Well there are plenty of crocadiles alligaitors giant turtles a few giant squid ancient fish sharks and other reptiles still about.

And what about Nessie ?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:21:07 PM

Well there are plenty of crocadiles alligaitors giant turtles a few giant squid ancient fish sharks and other reptiles still about.

Crocodiliads tend to remain relatively stationary and creatures like turtles and salamanders often go into a state of torpor during times of cold weather. Indeed, in Canada, we have frogs that can freeze completely solid, thaw and come back to life. As for fish, they live in the ocean. That means they're going to survive a lot longer.

And what about Nessie ?

That's a joke, right?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs?