Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs?      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Earthpuppy
Msg: 117
view profile
History
It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs?Page 7 of 7    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

Also the bb theory does not account for the blue shifts of objects & parts of space moving toward us.

Poopete..You laid out that turd above with absolutely zero references for backing up your claim. The blue shift has been addressed quite easily in the BB theory by gravitational forces, and rotations of galaxies relative to ours.
 pippypete
Msg: 118
It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs?
Posted: 11/25/2010 10:21:01 AM
Forget about the lovely daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopeia did we ? Ans a few others.
 stargazer1000
Msg: 119
Posted: 11/25/2010 10:59:37 AM

Forget about the lovely daughter of Cepheus and Cassiopeia did we ? Ans a few others.

Oh no! You've discovered the greatest secret in cosmology ever! Oh wait! No it isn't. http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/cosmos/I/Interacting+Galaxies
http://arpgalaxy.com/

Seen Andromeda in my telescope many, many times. Also Messier 51. And NGC 4038/9. And I think I might have even spotted Stephan's Quintet, although I was using an 8" SCT so the observation is still in doubt, in my mind.

Funny thing about gravity. When two bodies are in close proximity, it pulls together. Indeed, looking further out into the universe - and so further back in time - we see galaxies interacting all over the place. In fact, it turns out that galaxies were much smaller in general and tended to merge a lot into larger galaxies of the kind we see approaching the modern epoch.

Hmmm....so that would tend to indicate that the universe is evolving. Interesting!

Oh, and that does nothing to disprove that the overall trend is for large scale structures like galaxy clusters and clusters not a part of the local group to recede away from one another. And, in fact, that the recessional velocity is increasing, courtesy of several independent Type 1A supernova studies.
 pippypete
Msg: 120
Posted: 11/27/2010 6:11:16 AM
Yes gravity is the culprit so they say.

But one would think with a universe expanding so rapidly & from an "explosion"
so to speak, the little bit of gravity in our galaxy would not have been enough to counter the forces involved of such a tremendously powerful outward ballooning effect.

Also considering the other gravitational forces pulling against the movement of Andromeda towards us.

Plus the fact that the ballooning effect is accelerating as time goes on.

I read this tonight on a site which made me laugh.

Thus the Universe is not expanding into anything that we can see, and this is not a profitable thing to think about.

And another one.

What came before the Big Bang?
The standard Big Bang model is singular at the time of the Big Bang, t = 0. This means that one cannot even define time, since spacetime is singular.

The book of nature lies continuously open before our eyes (I speak of the Universe) but it can't be understood without first learning to understand the language and characters in which it is written. It is written in mathematical language, and its characters are geometrical figures. - Galileo Galilei
That was true 400 years ago and it is much more true today!

Hmmmmm, must have been a very smart mathematician.

Anyone know who it was ?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 121
Posted: 11/27/2010 7:11:03 PM

I watched a doc. a few years ago that suggested the dinos were already extinct before the asteroid hit.Sighting that the debris layer that was deposited around the earth from that event would be full of bones but it's not and air samples from entrapped air in amber showed a decrease in oxygen levels much earlier to that event that possibly caused the end for large animals like the dino, smaller ones still survived and evolved to a lower O2 level

I've heard before of a loss of diversity prior to the end of the Cretaceous including climatalogical change, volcanism and disease. However, the K-T even would have been a huge nail in the coffin.
 pippypete
Msg: 122
Posted: 12/1/2010 6:04:40 PM

THX SG, and a 10 lbs sledge to drive it in

A bit late when the coffin is already buried.
 pippypete
Msg: 123
Posted: 12/9/2010 11:39:20 PM
Well there are plenty of crocadiles alligaitors giant turtles a few giant squid ancient fish sharks and other reptiles still about.

And what about Nessie ?
 stargazer1000
Msg: 124
Posted: 12/10/2010 4:21:07 PM

Well there are plenty of crocadiles alligaitors giant turtles a few giant squid ancient fish sharks and other reptiles still about.

Crocodiliads tend to remain relatively stationary and creatures like turtles and salamanders often go into a state of torpor during times of cold weather. Indeed, in Canada, we have frogs that can freeze completely solid, thaw and come back to life. As for fish, they live in the ocean. That means they're going to survive a lot longer.

And what about Nessie ?

That's a joke, right?
Show ALL Forums  > Science/philosophy  > It's official: An asteroid wiped out the dinosaurs?