Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > User asks who is your friend in that photo with you!      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 Ender330
Msg: 1
view profile
History
User asks who is your friend in that photo with you!Page 2 of 4    (1, 2, 3, 4)
Ok, so have you ever clicked on a profile of a girl/guy to see a photo better. As you are clicking through the photo's...you are like damn! Who is the girl/guy in the photo with them.

Would you drop them a message asking them about their friend? Would you toss a few emails back and fourth and then ask them about their friend? Or just let it be? If this happened to you...how would you react?

I did this onetime but it was a mother and a daughter and the mother had no problem giving me the username of her daughter here on POF.
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 2
User asks who is your friend in that photo with you!
Posted: 3/6/2010 4:24:43 PM
Only if someone e-mails me and doesn't specify who he is in his profile pics - and he has none of himself alone.

Then I assume he's the hottest one, and tell him how good I think he looks. If I guess wrong, I don't get a response, if I am right and I do get a response, bonus!
 Maleman999
Msg: 3
Posted: 3/6/2010 5:40:35 PM
There are a lot of times when I see two or more people in the picture, I don't know which one is the one posting. It's like a game of charades. If there are four people in the picture, there's a 25% chance of guessing which one is posting the profile.

Come to think of it, if there are four girls in the picture(s), do I get to date all four? Is it a 4-for-1 deal? This sounds like a good deal to me. Or do I get a choice of which one out of the four I prefer to meet?
 MissNoWhere
Msg: 4
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:51:17 PM
Well, if you have pictures of yourself ALONE then it should be pretty easy to guess which one you're talking to. Would I be offended if someone thought the other women in my pictures were hot? Heck no! They're beautiful, but happily married, women who would get a kick out of it.
 VacationGuy234
Msg: 5
Posted: 3/7/2010 5:14:16 AM
I've done it and on a serious pay site you can get shut down for it by the person you ask. There are a few users I've thought about asking that question but I haven't done it yet on here.
 Paderic
Msg: 6
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:13:36 AM
I've been tempted, but I've never gotten up the nerve. I would expect such a note to get "read/deleted."
 WomanInProgress
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:24:24 AM

Here is a good piece of advice folks...

Never put up a picture where a friend is better looking than yourself.

Sounds simple but realize many people think they are more attractive than they really are, and you have to factor in subjectiveness, so it's a crapshoot.
 ColonelIngus
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:27:12 AM

Ok, so have you ever clicked on a profile of a girl/guy to see a photo better. As you are clicking through the photo's...you are like damn! Who is the girl/guy in the photo with them.

Would you drop them a message asking them about their friend?

Yes.

Would you toss a few emails back and fourth and then ask them about their friend?

Only one email is required to ascertain if said friend/acquaintance falls in the "available" category, and if the person with the profile might be amenable to playing matchmaker.
 Vannili
Msg: 9
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:42:54 AM
I am not enterested of their friend in the profile but what I am enterested is which one who is in the profile ?
 myrgth
Msg: 10
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 7:49:45 AM
I don't think this would go over well if it were a friend or relative that is close in age.

If it were an aunt/ uncle, mother/father. grandmother/grandfather, cousin, son/daughter or even an older friend that the person wouldn't feel in competition or slighted by the interest then there would be no problem.

A guy/gal emailing someone about the son/daughter in a persons profile can get tricky. If the emailer isn't someone that is viable for the emailee then fine - but emailing someone your own age and asking them about their hot son/daughter would be kinda creepy.
 Ender330
Msg: 11
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 10:55:45 AM
For me I really wouldn't care. For a few reasons:

1. I have a good friend and he is a good father of one 12 year old son. He has been single for maybe 10 years because of how the women are in our area. So if some one saw a photo with him on my profile and asked...wow...I would do anything I could to get him a REAL date. Something he has not really had in a long time.

2. Who is to say I am even attracted to the girl who asked about my friend.

3. Hey...maybe they will hook up and she will have a great experience with him...and possibly has a single friend or 2 that she want's to bring on the date. So maybe I get a chance to meet someone new also.

I know I know...I am so negative!
 LG2727
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/9/2010 8:00:00 PM
If I wasnt intersted but thought my friend would be, I would have no problem.
 Bookbelle
Msg: 13
view profile
History
Posted: 3/10/2010 8:16:02 AM
I always ask permission before posting a photo with someone else on the internet - they may not want it up there, for whatever reason. So it's generally just a whole lot easier to put up photos of just me. Or crop the picture. (Yep, I may not be that skilled with computers, but I can do that.)

I find it really annoying when someone has group photos on their profile (and no individual ones), without specifying which one is them. Are you siamese twins? A person with 6 heads? How am I supposed to know which one is them? Generally I tend to just move on when I see those.
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/11/2010 2:15:27 PM
I haven't done so thus far, contacting someone to ask about someone else in one of their pics, but if I were to do that, I would do so in the first email.

Hey, we all have our types. If I see a woman's profile, and her friend in a photo with her is WAY more my type, why wouldn't I try to found out if she's available?

Now, I have to agree with some of the other posters. What is the deal with putting a photo of yourself with several female friends, and naturally less detail is viewable, where any one of three or four of them could be you? That's just ASKING for trouble!

I think I've come across a few profiles even where EVERY picture had two or three women in them. And I'm thinking "Ok, look for the one with brown hair... well, crap, they ALL have brown hair!"
 8soldierfalcon8
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/11/2010 2:26:21 PM
Whenever a girl has only one pic, and it's of a fat, ugly girl and a fine girl,

The profile always belongs to the ugly girl. Always. I have never seen an exception.

Why?

Because pretty girls have lots of pics of themselves. Even if they don't take them, others will.

That said, I have seen women who have a pic or two with friends where their friends are usually more my type - i.e. attractive.

Why do women do this? Pretty girls have ugly friends so they look better by comparison. It's not usually a conscious thing, but it seems to be the norm. Why in the WORLD would a woman put a pic on a dating site with a far better looking woman with them?

A also don't message women anymore who are hanging out with douchebag guys. I can care less whether a woman has a pic with an x, a brother, or a friend... but if she makes it look like she hangs out with crackheads on a regular basis, I lose interest.

-8sf8
 BoonDockSaint73
Msg: 16
Posted: 4/14/2010 9:31:11 AM
i did that recently. the profile chick was really a hottie.

but one of the girls in her photos was actually more of my kind of girl- the type I look for more than not ...

i asked her about her friend and she replied her friend was married with 4 kids.

whether all of that was true or not.

she was a good sport about it...
 browneyesboo
Msg: 17
Posted: 4/14/2010 10:36:57 AM
I'm one of those stupid moms with my kids in my photos.
No one has asked me about them other than to say "are
those your daughters?"

I don't really see the problem with asking about someone
else in pictures. If you're offended...you just don't answer.
If you're not...you answer. I just ignore any mail I don't
like...I don't feel the need to answer it.

If you don't like someone's picture...move on until you see
a picture you do like!
 NotElvisJunior
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 4/19/2010 5:44:13 PM
Oooh, I have an announcement to make!

I have actually stumbled across a profile, right here on POF, where the woman has a friend in the pic with her - she not only states which one she is, she is actually by FAR the more attractive one in the picture!

I'm fairly certain this violates some sort of unspoken rule about posting profile pics with other people in them . . but I just thought it was worthy of mention! It's like seeing Halley's Comet or something!
 Ms_6Cs_QT
Msg: 19
Posted: 5/8/2010 5:14:54 PM
None of my friends are listed in my profile with me. But, after talking to someone for a couple of weeks on here, I added them onto my Facebook and MSN.
They saw a picture of a friend of mine with me, and asked who she was.
I said one of my good friends that I've known for a long time, 20 years or so. They said wow, she's real good looking, would she consider a guy like me? I said err, I don't think so. He didn't believe me. So, I told my friend the guy was into her, she was real upset and said she wasn't looking for anyone or anything at the moment. She said the guy sounds too****, and too conceited for her.
So, I told the guy she wasn't interested and he said I don't believe you.
He said give her my number. So, I told her to call him and tell him because he didn't seem to believe it.
So, she did..told him quite bluntly she wasn't interested.
He got real pissed, so pissed that he told me off.

Whatever..just made me realize the past couple of weeks or even couple of months since I met him online, not in person...that he was just a jerk, not really into me, just trying to see if I could set him up with one of my "hot" friends. When that didn't work out and he got rejected. Which he told me, Nobody ever rejects him ever so he doesn't know why anyone would reject him.

*sigh*
 HawkingJr
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 5/11/2010 3:23:03 PM
Never happened on POF (which is not surprising considering the lack of mail in general I get here), but it has happened on MySpace a few times. One of my male friends is apparently God's gift to women, which I've known since I met him a decade ago because when we were working together, female customers would use me to get to him all the time.

So it came as no shock when random women on MySpace started sending me emails asking for his contact info when they saw him in my default photo. And the messages would usually start off with something like, "Hey, I don't mean to sound like a douchebag but I think that friend of yours on the left is pretty hot..." How did I react? Why, I started up a conversation with those women and eventually gave them his contact info (which was somewhat futile at that time considering he was in a very committed relationship) -- figured maybe they might have a cute friend for me, so why not? Interestingly, he's also currently in my MySpace default pic (because now I pretty much dedicate it to my movie and he directed my movie) but that one's much harder to see him in so I don't get those emails anymore.

Of course, getting that kind of email at a social site like MySpace is a little different than getting such an email at a dating web site. I probably wouldn't react any differently because who do I have to blame but myself for putting hotter guys than me (which is pretty much all of them) in pictures on my dating profile, but I think you'd kind of have to be a tacky human being to send such an email and God knows I'd never do that myself. And strangely, I've never come across a case in which I would even think about that -- usually the most attractive woman in a multi-woman picture to me is the one whose profile it is. With an occasional exception, but not a strong enough exception to cause me to do something tacky. Now the other day I did something completely bizarre and sent a POF woman an email on his behalf -- not for dating purposes, but because she had modeling pictures on her profile that were of the type he shoots when he does still photography, so I figured maybe they needed to meet each other. She sounded interested (guess that's one way to get people to respond to you on POF!) so I sent her a link to his portfolio.
 wooliepack
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 5/29/2010 9:20:21 PM
My sister-in-law is on here, and she mentioned, she would NEVER post a pic with her daughter included. The daughter is really gorgeous, too.

I hate it when there's anyone else in the picture, especially young children. Nothing screams NEXT! like a woman posing with her newborn.

When I play the Rating feature here, I vote off any and all group pics.
Show ALL Forums  > Dating Experiences  > User asks who is your friend in that photo with you!