Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 2
Have McDonalds always had free saucePage 2 of 3    (1, 2, 3)
I've got to say that charging for condiments seems weird to someone in North America. You wouldn't get any repeat business here. Doesn't matter how good your chips are, charging for Tartar sauce or ketchup would just leave a bad taste.
 Ezzee
Msg: 4
Have McDonalds always had free sauce
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:05:49 PM
Depends on the sauce, really.

Ketchup and mustard is free.

Some of their specialty sauces, like those for the Chicken McNuggets are usually dependent on how many Chicken Nuggets you are getting. You can get them otherwise, but I think it is like 50 cents a container.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 5
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:16:41 PM
Don't they have restaurant supply stores that sell condiment packets where you are? When you buy them in bulk, they're pennies apiece. The non-specialty ones anyways...
 Lint Spotter
Msg: 6
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:25:38 PM
I have no problem paying for extra sauce when I want it... I go to a Greek restaurant quite often and I like extra tzatziki.

Now if they charged for the condiment that naturally came with the dinner... then they would not see me as a repeat customer.
 GeneralizingNow
Msg: 7
Posted: 3/6/2010 6:32:28 PM
Person from not North America, even in BELGIUM you get free sauce with your chips. Your shop is just cheap. What a stupid thing to cheap out on.
 ItsMargo
Msg: 8
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 7:13:44 PM
I stopped going to a local restaurant for breakfast because they charge extra for the jam on my toast. I'd prefer they charge more for the breakfast if they need to rather than prying the nickels out of my pocket.
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 9
Posted: 3/6/2010 7:18:24 PM
^^^I think we've all had experiences like that. Getting charged a few cents for something that is provided elsewhere just leaves us feeling ripped off. And in the Opie's example, it was 50 cents for something to go with chips - a packet of mayo or ketchup that would have cost them a fraction of a cent.

I don't use either, but I wouldn't go back if I saw someone else being charged.
 nipoleon
Msg: 12
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 7:49:07 PM
It's all a matter of perception for the customers.

No matter how inexpensive some things are, the idea of getting charged extra for it just seems unfair to most people and brings a lot of enmity from the public.

Simply raise the price of the main item and give the small stuff for free. If people think they are getting something for free they'll be satisfied, even if they're actually paying much more for it in the whole.

I don't know why businesses can't get a grip on this sort of thing. It seems some businesses think they have to declare war on their customers. I'm constantly amazed at the stuff management thinks of, which only makes people mad at the business.

" No don't charge extra for that ! Just stand at the front door and beat people over the head with a stick when they try to come in ".
 HalftimeDad
Msg: 13
Posted: 3/6/2010 8:05:58 PM

hey do, but they aren't exactly pennies a piece. Not sure what cost of living is like in the US, but here those condiments aren't cheap. The 20ml tomato sachets for example, can be sold for up to 50 cents each before customers start complaining. A business would only make a profit of about 20 cents each. Not really making a killing are they?

I just spent 3 minutes looking to buy ketchup packets on the internet. The first site I found sold them in cases of 1500 packets for $55. That works out to a little over 3 cents a pack. Not 30. I'm sure you could find it cheaper if you were willing to spend more than 3 minutes looking for a supplier.

As I said, that would be my last visit to that place of business, despite the fact that I don't use ketchup.
 Twilightslove
Msg: 14
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 8:18:51 PM
As far back as I can remember McDonald's has always given their sauces out free although just recently they have set a specific number allowable on their chicken nuggets.

There is a Mexican restaurant that I like going to that started charging for their white sauce that you dip tortilla chips in about a year ago. It used to be free although you had to ask for it. We still get plenty of chips and salsa free while waiting for our food though. I stopped asking for the white sauce. I felt odd about having to now pay for it. They have already upped their prices quite a bit so you would think they would go back to giving the white sauce out free again yet they haven't.
 CallmeKen
Msg: 15
Posted: 3/6/2010 8:21:30 PM
Depends on the customer. The ladies get my special sauce for free.

I can't believe I just wrote that.

Anyway, there is an alternative pricing structure. Charge $2.30 for chips, and throw in the sauce for free. You still get your 50 cents for a packet, plus extra for the people who don't want sauce. Or you could have a half price "sale" - charge $2.05 for chips, and 25 cents for sauce. Experiment - that's the fun of having a small shop. Your prices aren't set from corporate like the Golden Arches are.

Sorry that your small shop has difficulty competing with Mickie D's - as someone who works for a competitor of Wal-mart, I feel your pain.
 SingleGuy4912
Msg: 16
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 8:23:52 PM
They do, but they aren't exactly pennies a piece. Not sure what cost of living is like in the US, but here those condiments aren't cheap. The 20ml tomato sachets for example, can be sold for up to 50 cents each before customers start complaining. A business would only make a profit of about 20 cents each. Not really making a killing are they?

I did a Google search for condiment supplies and came up with one source that sells a 1000 packet box of Ketchup for $30 or $0.03/packet. Honey is $0.13/packet. Honey mustard $0.28/packet. Thoses prices are from a US supplier and varies depending on quantity and condiment. McDonald's, being the huge company they are, can get them much much cheaper. I suggest you go online to try to find a cheaper supplier in your country or try the wholesale clubs like Costco or Sam's Club, or in your case, Moore Wilson.

Here in the US, common stuff like mustard, ketchup, salt and pepper, imitation sweetners, etc are set out where you can take as much as you like. McDonalds used to do that with their special sauces but now you have to ask them for extras. Not sure if they charge extra if you want more than the one or two they normally give you.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 18
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 9:23:19 PM
I didn't realize McD's still gave out extra free sauces. *scratches head* The ones in my area(in the US) started charging for more than one sauce or an extra handful of ketchup over a decade ago.... Then again I am not a fast food junkie, so maybe I haven't tried other McD's to find out it was different. Hmmm

Honestly most places I know will give a set amount of sauce/dressing/condiment for free, but asking for extra means paying for it. I am so used to it by now I don't even think, I expect to have to pay extra if I want extra. Learn something new everyday.
 Casper66
Msg: 20
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 10:47:21 PM
Sorry but that is ridiculous, I've gone to plenty of Mom and Pop restaurants over the years and they have always had free condiments, it's good food and service that keeps you in business, but hey if you can afford to risk losing customers because you want to charge extra for tartar sauce then go ahead. A local restaurant started doing this, charging extra for ever little thing, up the prices and decreased the service, guess what they are no longer in business, I certainly wouldn't return to a place that was so cheap.
 daynadaze
Msg: 21
view profile
History
Posted: 3/6/2010 11:20:51 PM
IT would be like getting a salad then being charged for the dressing. Price your product to include some sort of sauce, not everyone will want it but geesh, no sauce with fish, what kind of tasteless diet is that!
 Ska_Voovie
Msg: 22
view profile
History
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:01:21 AM
OP - is at 'real' fish'n'chip shop [uk style]??

if so - why would you give free kettchup away ??
never happens over here !
in belguim & holland , the cost of Mayo is factored in to the price - in the UK it isn't - no prob !
 yna6
Msg: 23
Posted: 3/7/2010 6:50:41 AM
Yeah...just factor in the costs with the meal and don't bother letting the customer know they are paying a tad extra for it....upping the price to cover the costs is totally acceptable in the free market.

"Extra"? Charge a bit for it. I know some places stopped putting condiment packages out at all...you had to ask for them when ordering....forgetting it half the time, and people wouldn't bother going back up....sure...saved a few pennies per order for awhile, until people got sick of it and they started putting "bulk" containers out with a push pump and small cups to fill. The resulting messes are just more work for the minimum wagers to clean up, so, in corporates eye, no big deal. Same with self serve soft drinks, or anything else "self serve". People are sloppy and don't really care, but by gawd that machine better be totally spotless when they get to it! Ignorant bunch of cretins....
 barbee1970
Msg: 24
Posted: 3/20/2010 2:10:51 AM
Condiments at McDonalds were free. Here because of the recession they want to charge if you want extra sauce. I don't even get lettuce on my Angus burger anymore. What gives?
 Singleinlewistonidaho
Msg: 25
Posted: 3/20/2010 2:31:13 AM
Add to the price of the chips and give the sause out free. Micky D's does it don't think they don't.
 SAguy_06
Msg: 27
view profile
History
Posted: 3/20/2010 8:43:02 AM
charge 2.25 for the chips and give the sauce for free...people will love you.
thats business 101.

Now if your charging .50 cents a packet for tomato ketsup, then you poking your customers eyes and I bet your food stinks.

thats no kinda business...stick-it to your costumer.
 Got Trance
Msg: 28
Posted: 3/20/2010 9:08:43 AM
I see nothing wrong with charging for EXTRA packets of condiments. I also see nothing wrong with not having them out in bulk so the customer can take as many as they like.
I have to say that I have a problem with people blaming the
poor staffer

I can not understand why you would not give him a TIP. After all, it was not his fault that your friend chose to place an order that cost twice as much.
Talk about being cheap.
 IgorFrankensteen
Msg: 32
view profile
History
Posted: 3/21/2010 9:24:17 AM
I always thought that the business strategy to use in response to this sort of thing, is to increase the price of your main offerings to pay for the sauces. That way, no one notices. By charging nickels and dimes, you push the small costs in customers faces, and make yourself look petty. When you raise your prices overall, you can present yourself as the Quality Alternative, and make them feel GOOD about paying more. If you also make sure you dress more snappily at work, they'll feel more special coming there to eat also.
 EvilLolli
Msg: 34
view profile
History
Posted: 3/22/2010 7:48:14 PM
Gee, I don't get what the big deal is. I live in the US, my local McD's have been charging for extra sauces for over a decade, as have the other fast food chains. So it's not a US vs. the world thing. Any resturant I go to whether fast food or cooked to order charge for extra sauce. "X" amount of sauce is free, anything above and beyond that costs extra. Not a big deal. The extra amount is usually anywhere from a nickel up and really, if I was so picky about sauce/expense, I could just bring my own(I have seen it done).

Then again eating out at a resturant(even McD's) is a treat on occassion, not my daily diet, so maybe that makes me weird. If I am going to treat myself, a few cents for extra of a sauce I want isn't a big deal on a treat.

Pick your battles, arguing with a minimum wage employee over a few ketchup/sauce packets and their cost really isn't worth it in the long run. That kid didn't make the policy, he's just working for his paycheck. If it is such a big deal boycott or write the corporation. Some people need to get lives if a few packets of sauce is a cause for so much anger.
Show ALL Forums  > Off Topic  >