Notice: Forums will be shutdown by June 2019

To focus on better serving our members, we've decided to shut down the POF forums.

While regular posting is now disabled, you can continue to view all threads until the end of June 2019. Event Hosts can still create and promote events while we work on a new and improved event creation service for you.

Thank you!

Plentyoffish dating forums are a place to meet singles and get dating advice or share dating experiences etc. Hopefully you will all have fun meeting singles and try out this online dating thing... Remember that we are the largest free online dating service, so you will never have to pay a dime to meet your soulmate.

Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >      Home login  
 AUTHOR
 valenciacityx
Msg: 194
can a guy 30 or older get away with wearing a hat backwards?Page 10 of 10    (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10)
how is this still on the front page ?
Is the hat on backwards the new sitting shirtless on the hood of the Z-28 ?
or maybe the picture with the fish or fresh killed deer ?
 sweetiepie_99
Msg: 195
can a guy 30 or older get away with wearing a hat backwards?
Posted: 7/6/2011 4:31:10 PM
I think a guy wearing his hat backwards depends on his personality. I think it's hot. I'm thirty and I love blasting music in the car. So, of course, turn it up. But, the extra bass filling out the trunk of your car is young.
 ticka
Msg: 197
view profile
History
Posted: 7/17/2011 9:59:08 PM
sweetie, i think if a guy wears a hat backwards they look hot! i don't know maybe it's just a weird fettish of mine but i love it when a guy wears one backwards

happy fishing
 mateo45
Msg: 198
view profile
History
Posted: 7/18/2011 11:00:08 AM
Backwards ball caps.... wasn't that a big deal back in the 90's?!
 GirlMuvinOn
Msg: 199
Posted: 7/19/2011 11:33:24 PM
Totally depends on the guy... I know men who can pull off wearing their hat backwards. But it sounds to me like you are questioning more of the thug look in general since you brought up the music also.

Some people are just into music. I will listen to my stereo as loud as it will go, I love music. My next door neighbor is not the thug looking kind of guy, he's in his mid thirties, attractive, owns a business, is a great father, etc and has a nice sound system in his vehicle and listens to it loud, alot. Doesn't make me think of him any differently.

The backwards hat thing is something that alot of jocks do too, not just the thug kinda guys.
 Helen0426
Msg: 200
Posted: 7/19/2011 11:56:45 PM
The answer is, and will ever be, no.

Guys under 30 look stupid doing it, too.

But, past mid- to late twenties, especially, no, no, no.

Learn to dress like a gentleman, and ladies will treat you like one. Impressions matter.

And at no age may a man wear a hat indoors, except for a yarmulke, which is not really a hat anyway, but an expression of faith. That's fine always, as is a headscarf, for the same reason. But hats, on men, are for outdoors only.

For women there are no such rules about hats; unfair, but true - then again, men never have to wear nylons or brassieres, even if being presented to the Queen of England, so I think guys come out ahead, here.

I didn't make this stuff up. They're just the rules. Look 'em up anywhere.

I personally make an exception for Slash. He can wear his trademark hat indoors anytime IMO. But the minute you're a tenth, even a hundredth, as cool as Slash, these questions won't matter anyway.
 CaptainAlbator
Msg: 205
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2011 3:37:24 PM
"Learn to dress like a gentleman, and ladies will treat you like one. Impressions matter."

Helen, I don't know if you've seen what's going on lately, but dressing "like a gentlemen" gets you IGNORED. The sophisticated man is out of fashion, thanks the likes of the Jackass Generation. I don't know about where you live, but women in my town are still on the whole "slacker" vibe, well into their 30's. Dressing like a gentlemen seems to send the message that you're "trying too hard".

It's common for the current generation to reject what the previous one held up as masculine and feminine role models and sex symbols. Back when I was growing up, the masculine role model of the day, for me at least, was Sean Connery and his portrayal of James Bond. Even much more so, The Beatles. It's not just the outward appearance either. In James Bond you have a man who's educated, articulate, confident, has a knowledge of things like fine wines, and gourmet cuisine, he drives expensive cars, speaks several languages, and knows how to hand himself in a tough situation. Who's the big masculine role model today? It seems to be Seth Rogen. A guy who doesn't know much, doesn't say much, and doesn't do much but smoke pot. I know you're thinking "that's his character from the 40 Year Old Virgin", well the real thing isn't that far removed. That's not to say that the sophisticated man can't make a comeback, but it seems to be an anachronism.

Anyway, I digress... If I'm wearing my Kangol I wear it backwards, ala Samuel L. Jackson. If I'm wearing my baseball hat it's forwards. And I've never thought of Slash as "cool", more like just kind of... there. Now Rick Neilsen, that's cool!
 CheezyChick
Msg: 206
Posted: 8/20/2011 3:56:02 PM
Something about a man working hard, his strong arms glistening in the hot summer sun...wearing a cap backwards turns my crank... It just works I think....

Course, could be he's just trying to keep the hair and sweat off his face....which kinda works too
 Tinman475
Msg: 208
view profile
History
Posted: 8/20/2011 4:29:01 PM
I am over 30 and I wear what I want the way I want.

Now there are some things I don't like but it's because it looks silly to me not because of age... Pants below your butt cheeks, those flat billed hats with the stickers and tags left on and cowboy boots with shorts are all dumb looking to me.. .. ;)
 brap999
Msg: 211
view profile
History
Posted: 8/24/2011 9:58:29 PM
A guy can wear what he wants when he wants to as long as he wears it with confidence. If you have to ask, then no you shouldn't do it.

Of course what you wear will attract only the women who are into it.

All women are into different things, so there is a subset of them that are into the backwards hat, and that will be your key demographic. Don't expect to pick up women who are into high end fashion to find that look sexy.

I'm 32, I wear my had backwards. The way I look at it, I don't care about the women that don't like it. They're not what I'm looking for. The way I dress weeds out the women I'm not compatible with, and narrows it down to just those I may have interest in.
 --Zen--
Msg: 212
Posted: 8/26/2011 9:28:30 AM
Screw that. Get a mohawk.
 domo30
Msg: 218
Posted: 9/15/2011 11:52:33 AM
I say yes who cares what others think? I wear my sox hat backwards.
 donleejohnson
Msg: 219
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:00:14 PM
thank you im 35 and i`ve wore my hat backwards sincw i was 13
 cl33823
Msg: 220
Posted: 9/16/2011 3:36:20 PM
I'm far from a thug, and I wear my hat backward 90% of the time I wear it. I don't think it has anything to do with age, or even attitude. I don't know why I prefer it backward but that's just the way it usually goes on. I can't imagine myself looking in the mirror one day and saying...nah, this just doesn't look good anymore. It's a hat, who cares!!
 benjaminbutton1
Msg: 221
Posted: 9/23/2011 2:36:15 AM
do what you want when you want. you are not on this earth to please everyone , so wear it backwards whatever way you want.
 sifia
Msg: 222
view profile
History
Posted: 9/23/2011 10:09:15 PM
I personally feel it has nothing to do with "impressing other people". It is like being in a concert, when the music is turned up loud, it is for my personal enjoyment, not to impress others, and yes i am guilty of it, i also like to wear my hat backwards, and believe me i am no gang banger, never have been and never will be, it is the era that i grew up in, i am 37 with very long hair, and i wear my hat backwards on a daily basis, it is not to impress Anyone, it is a personal choice. I wear my hat backwards mainly to keep the sweat out of my face at work, and the bill gets in the way from what i am doing, that is how it all began for me.
So in my opinion, go for it, do what you want to do,who gives a F**k with what everyone thinks about it. Style is overrated to begin with once you are over 30 anyways.
 pofdude2003
Msg: 223
Posted: 9/26/2011 2:12:39 AM
I'm wearing my hat backwards in my profile pic. Let's see how much criticism i get.

Then lets see how much of that criticism i really care to acknowledge. Lol.
 L00k1ngF0rL0v3
Msg: 224
Posted: 9/26/2011 5:17:39 AM
I wear my hat backwards for practical reason. I ride a motorcycle and it requires me to wear the hat backwards or lose the cap in wind. Moreover, I like to get sun on my face, but not so much on my balding head. A backwards cap works for both counts.

The tone on this thread seems to suggest that a backwards cap is sort of thuggish. A cap alone does not make someone thuggish.
 1234deleted1234
Msg: 225
Posted: 9/26/2011 6:01:09 AM
Y'all are free to wear whatever you want....and others are free to think less of you because of it!
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 226
Posted: 9/26/2011 6:48:02 AM

Can A 30 year man pull off wearing backwards hat

Only if he's working. I wore my hat backwards often, but was climbing and biking and doing other things that made it necessary. Now, if I even wear a hat, I wear it frontwards; and only because my hairs messy or not showered. I hardly ever wear bandannas anymore, regardless of the situation. Maybe..on a canoe trip..but only maybe.

wearing "young Men" style of clothing?

Not sure what this means. I'm more unsure I like the insinuation here.

I own an Osh Kosh jean jacket; does that qualify?

Have you gotten into mothball smelling floral print..um...everrythings yet?

As far as music goes; I hope people never listen to the music "designated for their age section". That's real divisive, and keeps people out of touch.
 SweetLilGTP
Msg: 227
Posted: 9/26/2011 6:56:33 AM

Clothes don't make a man. A man makes his clothes.''

Note to self: Chicken cordon blue, lasagna, and a ton of other great meals are now out.

I have to agree with the crowd who says" who cares".

If ya like it; and it works for you (and doesnt hurt anyone else) go for it.

And ot those who like to "dresss and act age appropriate"; I'll be using cheese when I cook ya up,promise. (mooooooo/baaahaaaa)
 modivin
Msg: 228
Posted: 9/29/2011 12:31:02 AM
Office Space....hilarious movie!
The best rap scene was in the beginning when...was it Michael Bolton who turned the music down and locked the car?

Personally...the hat backwards. Its ok if you're at a sports event.....or playing in one. But going out every where with it? Not so much. At least it isn't the hat sideways...
 crazeerunner
Msg: 229
Posted: 11/4/2012 7:07:13 PM
any guy who wears his hat backwards, is a tool.

sorry, just my opinion
 hplazerjet
Msg: 230
Posted: 11/4/2012 8:12:47 PM
Older guys look.....tryhard when they wear the backwards hat.
In fact, even the young guys look tryhard when they wear the backwards hat.
It's just a dumb look, and it's almost a uniform for a certain type of hiphop wannabe.
Show ALL Forums  > Over 30  >